PDA

View Full Version : Fisheye Racquet Stack

varuscelli
12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Jez playin' aroun' . . .

http://www.photostringer.com/images/Compare-023b.jpg

And here's a shot without the fisheye lens (in case you're wondering). The racquets are sized (top to bottom) at 12 sq. in, 70 sq. in., 90 sq. in., and a whopping 135 sq. in.

http://www.photostringer.com/images/Compare-016b.jpg

Duzza
12-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Trippy.....you selling that Mid RDX?

anirut
12-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Al, I wish I have that kind of equipment!

All I have is an old F70 28-210 and a KM-A200 digital ...

But, hey, as they say: "It's the Indian, not the arrow", I'm still making money off this set of "low range" equipment.

Looking for a new K10D ... if the price is not prohibitive ;)

varuscelli
12-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Trippy.....you selling that Mid RDX?

Ahh, I get it. You think that because I'm focusing on the Prince God racquet now, I consider the 90 sq. in. RDX too large to use and you want to talk me out of it. But what you don't realize is that I've decided to keep the RDX in case I want to switch back to an OS racquet at some point. :p

Nice try, Duzza...

:)

varuscelli
12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Al, I wish I have that kind of equipment!

All I have is an old F70 28-210 and a KM-A200 digital ...

You ought to keep your eyes open for a used fisheye lens. They're a lot of fun to play around with and you might be able to get a second-hand one for a reasonable price. (I'm assuming you can find one to fit your camera. Maybe third-party lens like an old Sigma, which they made in mounts to fit all the major brands.) Of course, I don't know how the market is for those kinds of lenses in your part of the world, but if you have any camera shops that sell used equipment, you might pay them a visit and see. I'm kind of a lens fanatic and have to have the really radical wide-angle lenses like fisheye, etc.

anirut
12-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Yep, Al, if and only if I have some up-coming work that will pay me a lot and requires higher-end equipment, then I may decide to "lavish" on the K10D, then I'll dive into used Pentax lenses.

Otherwise ... why spend on something you're not making money with, right? (Except for tennis rackets, of course ... ;) )

varuscelli
12-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Otherwise ... why spend on something you're not making money with, right?

To appease the appetites of your creative soul. ;)

(If you're wife finds the bill for the lens in your pocket, you can always use that line and see if it flies.)

Duzza
12-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Ahh, I get it. You think that because I'm focusing on the Prince God racquet now, I consider the 90 sq. in. RDX too large to use and you want to talk me out of it. But what you don't realize is that I've decided to keep the RDX in case I want to switch back to an OS racquet at some point. :p

Nice try, Duzza...

Ahh...well I wanna try and stock up because I'm pretty sure I found "it" and "it" is discontinued.

varuscelli
12-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Ahh...well I wanna try and stock up because I'm pretty sure I found "it" and "it" is discontinued.

Ahh! Sorry to hear that. I didn't realize it was being discontinued... :confused:

But . . . if that's the case, I'd think they'd start surfacing at discounted prices (both at the retail vendor level and from other sources).

frekcles
12-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Looking for a new K10D ... if the price is not prohibitive ;)

Anirut,

How much are these in your area? I'm saving up for one myself. Not available locally here as they are mostly sold out.:confused: :sad:

Duzza
12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Ahh! Sorry to hear that. I didn't realize it was being discontinued... :confused:

But . . . if that's the case, I'd think they'd start surfacing at discounted prices (both at the retail vendor level and from other sources).

I think they are...Well they are on sale at TW and hard to find in Australia.

sypl
12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
What's the 135 inch head racquet?

varuscelli
12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
What's the 135 inch head racquet?

It's called the Wilson Barely Legal 3.3.

I'm sorry, it's something like the ""Wilson Hyper Hammer 3.3" or the "Wilson Hyper Carbon The Limits 3.3" or some combination of those terms. Whatever it's officially called, it's huge (but it weighs something like only 8.8 ounces and is very long, at 28 and 1/2 inches). And it's right at "The Limits" of what's legal to use in match play, from what I understand. Guess that's where it got part of its name.

I got it from someone a couple of months back as a collectible curiosity of a racquet but have never actually hit with it other than to try a few serves one time while I was out practicing. It would be fun to try it for some ground strokes at some point, just to see what it feels like.

anirut
12-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Anirut,

How much are these in your area? I'm saving up for one myself. Not available locally here as they are mostly sold out.:confused: :sad:

Pentax ain't so popular as the N and the C here, so there's no news of it around the shops here yet. However, there'll be a photography show during the coming weekend and I'll take a look. I think it'll probably be $1000+ with kit lens. Prices here are not much different from the States these days, "probably" due to the cameras are being manufacturered in the ASEAN region and with all the tax agreements and all that.

Yes, the K10D is quite a hyped up cam, but I think it's living up to the hype as having read the discussions on dpreview.

Cheers!

*Sorry to other readers as this is a bit way off topic.*

varuscelli
12-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Pentax ain't so popular as the N and the C here, so there's no news of it around the shops here yet. However, there'll be a photography show during the coming weekend and I'll take a look. I think it'll probably be $1000+ with kit lens. Prices here are not much different from the States these days, "probably" due to the cameras are being manufacturered in the ASEAN region and with all the tax agreements and all that.

Yes, the K10D is quite a hyped up cam, but I think it's living up to the hype as having read the discussions on dpreview.

Cheers!

*Sorry to other readers as this is a bit way off topic.*

I checked with my lawyers and they confirm that since a photographer started the thread you are still on solid ground from a legal standpoint and are only *barely* off topic. (But I can't afford very expensive lawyers, and to tell you the truth, they're all out back barbecuing, drinking, and having a good time -- so I'm taking what they say with a grain of salt.) :p

I've always loved Pentax (my first SLR was a K1000 that I used for many, many years), but when it came time for me to get serious about SLRs, I finally abandoned Pentax for Canon. The main reason for that? Availability of lenses, particularly used ones, at good prices. With the bigger names like Canon and Nikon, there is never a shortage of lenses or other brand-specific accessories. That's no knock on Pentax quality or desirability, but for me was a pure financial and practical fact of life. Years later, looking back in time, I'd do the exact same thing now as I did then. But because I make my living at it, there are other factors involved, too, that lots of people wouldn't need to worry about.

Personally, from the little I've seen, that K10D looks like a pretty sweet camera. ;)

bcsax123
12-04-2006, 09:47 PM
I have a Canon Rebel XT (350d for all you non US guys) and its a nice camera. It works really nice, fast start up and not of functions, and cheap. Currently, it seems canon has the best range of lenses. They have an assortment huge f1.4 and faster primes, and a wide assortment of excellent zooms. Best specialty lenses out (Fisheye, Tilt Shift, and a 1-5x life size Macro which can really make some super detailed close ups.)

back to tennis, how can the Hammer 3.3 only be 3.3? Shouln't it be more like a SI of 1 being so huge, lightweight, i'm guessing stiff, and long?

varuscelli
12-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I have a Canon Rebel XT (350d for all you non US guys) and its a nice camera. It works really nice, fast start up and not of functions, and cheap. Currently, it seems canon has the best range of lenses. They have an assortment huge f1.4 and faster primes, and a wide assortment of excellent zooms. Best specialty lenses out (Fisheye, Tilt Shift, and a 1-5x life size Macro which can really make some super detailed close ups.)

back to tennis, how can the Hammer 3.3 only be 3.3? Shouln't it be more like a SI of 1 being so huge, lightweight, i'm guessing stiff, and long?

I dunno. I think the camera guys and the racquet guys put their collective heads together yearly and agree upon making their transition model names as obscure and historically untraceable as possible.

For example, with Canon Digital SLRs (in rough order of release): D30, 1D, D60, 10D, 1Ds, 20D, 1D Mark II, 1Ds Mark II, 350D, 20Da, 5D, 1D Mark IIn, 30D, 400D.

While there is logic behind it, the average, everyday camera owner will see almost no sense in it whatsoever.

But the Canon camera breakdown is much like the breakdown of racquets with somewhat arbitrary categories of "players racquets, tweener racquets, and OS racquets" being like camera "pro models, prosumer models, and consumer models." The "tweeners" in the Canon digital camera world are (roughly) the prosumer cameras that don't begin with a "D" and don't begin with a "1" (but there still exists gray area just like with racquets).

Difficult to figure out? No -- it's so simple, even a caveman could do it. (Yeah, right...) :)

(Sorry for the Geico-related caveman remark, which will likely be decipherable only by US citizens. To others, they'll probably guess I'm insulting cavemen, when in reality, it's a commercially perpetuated North American inside joke.)