PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Racket 'Review'???

topspin_17
12-04-2006, 05:39 AM
During the weekend, I borrowed a wooden racket off my coach to play for a couple of sets out of interest (like how it would feel etc.). The racket was a Kennex model, I think it was called the "Kennex Competition". I played against a top 50 U10 boy and a top 20 ranked girl (both from Thailand), both pretty good for their age (I beat them both, the boy 6-2, the girl 6-3). I am a 13 year old, using a 12oz Yonex RDS001 MP.

Groundstrokes:
The groundstrokes that I hit with that racket were simply awesome. I could hit heavy topspin and slice considering its 18x20 string pattern, and the racket was also comfortable to hit with. Although the racket was very comfortable to play with, I did have a bit of trouble with maneuverability, since the racket was quite heavy. But when I hit the ball, it felt nice and solid. But the most amazing part of the groundstrokes was the touch that I could make with the racket. I could hit never-before-hit dropshots and I could pinpoint my shots to wherever part of the court I wanted to. Although the racket seemed quite comfortable when hitting, on rare occasions the ball would not strike 'perfectly' and the ball would go flying, thus meaning that you should be very coordinated with your timing when hitting the ball. The racket was quite flexible, thus putting the racket more on the 'control' side of the racket playability scale.

Volleys:
Volleys were also fantastic with the racket. The 18x20 string pattern meant that I could control my volleys well, being able to add power when I needed to, etc. As with groundstrokes, you always had to hit the ball exactly in the sweetspot.

Serves: Serves with the racket were always comfortable to hit with. Serves were predictable with the racket, and spin was also produced at will. One thing that I didnt like about the racket was that it was a bit heavy, so I had to heave the racket quite a bit to generate a lot of power, but that was unnecessary because I could already create a lot of power from the natural weight of the racket.

Overall: I loved the racket, groundstrokes and all (especially touch shots and control), but the dislikes included the weight and maneuvrability. IMHO, I would prefer this flexy, controlled racket to a stiff, powerful racket any day.

Steve Huff
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
So, you're giving up your Yonex???

anirut
12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Topspin, why not mail me. I have some classic woods if you want to try 'em.

topspin_17
12-04-2006, 05:03 PM
SH: No, I'm not giving up my Yonex... I do prefer the Yonex just a bit more than the woody racket because it is definitely a lot lighter than the woody... ;)

Anirut: Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I have found a few old rackets in my cupboard, including a Donnay Ladywood of my aunt's (female version of Borg Allwood racket) which I might try, and also a Yamaha Graphite 35, of which my mother does not know where she got it from. I might have a hit with them at my academy or show them to my coach; he is a serious racket fanatic. Thanks anyway Anirut, I might drop a mail soon.

anirut
12-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Which academy are you at?

topspin_17
12-04-2006, 11:07 PM
FCTA (Frank Cuesta Tennis Academy). There are two sites, in town (sukhumvit soi 50) and out of town (kiarti thanee country club, on the bangna-trad).

anirut
12-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I played at Soi 50 once with Alafter. May be we could find sometime to have some "fun". Don't know if I've given you my number earlier?

topspin_17
12-05-2006, 12:52 AM
No, you havent given me your number yet. But I might not be able to play this week, because my schedule is very tight, and I only go to soi 50 on thursdays. I also have a lot of homework to do from school, and this weekend I am playing a tournament at Mahavitayalai Burapa, in Chonburi.