PDA

View Full Version : Make a PK demo list for me

Dunlopkid
12-04-2006, 07:20 AM
I want to demo some Pro Kennex rackets. I am a steadily improving 4.0 baseline counterpuncher. Please make a list of a couple currently produced PK rackets I should demo.

Thanks.

haerdalis
12-04-2006, 07:40 AM
I would recommend to demo the ki15 pse, 5g and 7g. All excellent racquets for a baseliner. Especially the 7g.

Dunlopkid
12-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks. I might try the others, but I think not the 7g because I want to stay away from XL. Unlike RBF.

cghipp
12-04-2006, 08:04 AM
I switched from the Head i.Prestige MP to the PK Ki 5 and I am really enjoying it. I have "fooled around" with several other frames, but I keep coming back to the Ki 5. I liked it better than the 5g (it's a little stiffer, with a little more pop) but I seem to be in the minority on that point.

FuriousYellow
12-04-2006, 08:30 AM
^Second the recommendation on the Ki5. I have the 5G as well and it's a great frame, but I prefer the Ki5 as my primary. I don't know if it's because of the 22mm beam, but the Ki5 has a bit more power than most frames of that weight. It's also a very forgiving frame on your arm if you don't hit inside the sweetspot or even occasionally 'frame' a shot.

Currently playing mine with Klip X-Plosive (Gut:Mains/Poly:Crosses).

Steve Huff
12-04-2006, 05:30 PM
In order that I'd try them: ki 5g,ki 10g PSE, 15g PSE, Type R, 10g (reg), Redondo 98, Type S

NoBadMojo
12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I want to demo some Pro Kennex rackets. I am a steadily improving 4.0 baseline counterpuncher. Please make a list of a couple currently produced PK rackets I should demo.

Thanks.

If you want some help it would be good if we knew what you currently use and what you like and dont like about it. Also, if you know your optimal swingweight range that would help narrow things down quite a lot, especially when choosing from a line so broad as PK. they've got racquets of widely varying swingweights. The more info you provide, the better your feedback will likely be.

Kaptain Karl
12-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Your playing description is not all that informative, but *assuming* that since you employ counter punching, you therefore also have pretty goo power of your own, I'd try the 5G, Redondo and Core No. 10 first.

(PK told me the Ki 5 would soon be dropped. That was four months ago. They haven't dropped it. Maybe they changed their minds....)

If you do not have a lot of natural power, I'd then look at the Ki 10 PSE or the Ki 15 PSE.

That's four. Let us know how it goes....

- KK

Dunlopkid
12-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Yeah, I have to admit, I wasn't very descriptive. I can generate my own power. So that is no problem. I currently use the m-fil 200. The swingweight is too high and I am looking to switch to a racket with a lower swingweight. However, I really don't know my optimal weight. Probably in the 320's.

haerdalis
12-04-2006, 11:23 PM
The 5g swings really light I think and yet is quite stable. Probably the one best suited to a counterpuncher of the ones I have tried.

heycal
12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
In order that I'd try them: ki 5g,ki 10g PSE, 15g PSE, Type R, 10g (reg), Redondo 98, Type S

I thought you were a big 5g fan, but it didn't even make your list. Was that a mistake?

courtrage
12-05-2006, 08:28 AM

If you do not have a lot of natural power, I'd then look at the Ki 10 PSE or the Ki 15 PSE.

- KK

KK, arent those really light though? i'm using the ki5 PSE and i THINK my power is ok but a little extra never hurts ;-) i really didnt wanna go lighter than that though :-\ (12.9oz)

haerdalis
12-05-2006, 08:57 AM
You dont want to go lighter than the ki5 pse hehe. That doesnt leave room for many racquets unleaded.
I have a ki15 pse and it is not very light. Tremendous power but it does twist a bit on off center hits. Also flat shots just dont go in.

FuriousYellow
12-05-2006, 09:12 AM
(PK told me the Ki 5 would soon be dropped. That was four months ago. They haven't dropped it. Maybe they changed their minds....)

- KK

:shock: [Gasp!!] "Dropped" as in a newer model is coming or "dropped" as in they're cutting back on the their line of racquets?

Steve Huff
12-05-2006, 12:32 PM
It's the 1st on my list. I wrote ki 5g to include all the iterations of the 5g line. I haven't tried the very latest one. I still have 2 pre 2001 models. I had some later versions, but ended up selling them. Sorry for the confusion.

Dunlopkid
12-05-2006, 01:00 PM
You wouldn't think that a small company would so many rackets, but they do. And their names are so confusing. Oh well, I'll just have to demo and see what I like. The reason I'm asking is because I'm probably going to do a preffered thing with PK. I'll let you guys know what I settle on but it may not be for a while as I will probably not be able to demo until the end of this month.

Kaptain Karl
12-05-2006, 01:45 PM
[Gasp!!] "Dropped" as in a newer model is coming or "dropped" as in they're cutting back on the their line of racquets?They told me the Ki 5 hasn't been nearly as well-received in "the market" as they'd hoped. IIR, most players still prefer the 5G, so they told me they were dropping / killing-off / writing-off the Ki 5.

This was in the same conversation where they said they were introducing the Ki 7 PSE. They were targetting the USO for the announcement back then. Now I've heard the Ki 7 will be a Spring announcement. (Maybe they'll kill-off the Ki 5 at that same time...?)

- KK

the Town Sherif
12-05-2006, 01:54 PM
in my opinion...not as good as hyped....believe me...i bought it and sold it on the big auction site within a month.

haerdalis
12-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Ki 7 pse. Is that going to be a 27.5 inch 13 oz racquet? Damn that will be one tough racquet to haul around.

El Diablo
12-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Really....if they pull their usual PSE makeover and keep it only slightly headlight, a Ki 7 PSE would pull your arm out of your shoulder socket.

Kaptain Karl
12-05-2006, 03:42 PM
You guys!!! Some rackets are made for Real Men. Others are made for the rest of you.

- KK

basil J
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
If you like the dunlop feel and want a frame with a slighltly lighter swing weight, bigger sweetspot and better comfort, than try the Redondo 98".I used the 200GMW for 5 years and the HM for 1 year and the Redondo has been a nice step up. I was extremely dissapointed with the mfil and was forced to move away from Dunlop. The Redondo 98" really measures as a 95", has more flex in the throat, stiffer in the hoop and is much more forgiving on mishits than any dunlop 200G series frame I have ever used. It is worth a test drive for sure.

anirut
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
in my opinion...not as good as hyped....believe me...i bought it and sold it on the big auction site within a month.

It is one excellent racket! Just because you can't play it doesn't mean it's crap.

BTW, what was your racket before playing the Redondo?

Tennis16
12-05-2006, 07:16 PM
I currently use a PK Ki5. But Would like something with a little more power and control. Can anyone make a recommendation for another PK frame ? Please note that I do not want to go over 11.8 oz. in racquet weight. Thanks

Kaptain Karl
12-05-2006, 08:55 PM
I currently use a PK Ki5. But Would like something with a little more power and control. Can anyone make a recommendation for another PK frame ? Please note that I do not want to go over 11.8 oz. in racquet weight. ThanksMore power AND control? Have you tried the "old" 5G or the 7G? (I play the 7G and thought the Ki 5 to be merely "okay". I believe you'll find the 5G or 7G to have more of both....)

Other PK folk may recommend the Redondo ... but I dont' know the weight....

P.S. You were right to post this on an already active thread. You'll get more views and opinions. Welcome to TT.

- KK

anirut
12-06-2006, 04:26 AM
Tennis 16, I read your post.

I wouldn't recommend the Redondo as it's 12+ oz. Unless you want to try some "plow-thru" shots to feel what it's like, then get your hands on a demo (if you're not going to be #2145 on the demo list, of course). ;)

haerdalis
12-06-2006, 04:45 AM
I can also wholeheartedly recommend 7g. Great stick. Swingweight is igher than on 5g and ki 5 but you can always choke down on the grip for everything but serve if you find it too high.