PDA

View Full Version : Volkl DNX8

AdeAce
12-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Thinking of changing from Babolat Drive Z max to Volkl DNX8.

Can any offer any advice on this racquet?

Thanks

bagung
12-04-2006, 07:22 AM
i found dnx8 more powerful and less stiff than aeroprodrive . very nice overall, except it is too stiff for my TE.. if you can handle stiff racquet, than is not a problems... it swings much easier than apd too....

AdeAce
12-04-2006, 07:27 AM
i found dnx8 more powerful and less stiff than aeroprodrive . very nice overall, except it is too stiff for my TE.. if you can handle stiff racquet, than is not a problems... it swings much easier than apd too....

Ah, therein lies the problem. I was advised to switch because of TE. Was told that Volkl have built in vibration control and would be kinder to my recovering elbow. Do you still use it?

bagung
12-04-2006, 07:36 AM
no... i stop using 8 because of my TE, and switched to 9, which is very friendly to my TE...9 is heavier than 8 and has more control too... a very stable racquet, easy on spin, excellent volley stick, low SW... the 9 is a little too heavy for me, so i am now trying the 10 295g

alu16L
12-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Please describe your game, what you think of the Z MAx, and why are you considering switching rackets.

El Diablo
12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I demoed the DNX 8 -- very harsh, not the Volkl for someone with arm issues.

NoBadMojo
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
the DNX8 was designed as a substitute for the PureDrive. (the profile is about identical). if you consider that, the racquet isnt harsh in comparison and is good at all the shots ..it isnt a frame for someone with TE, but is certainly less harsh than hitting with a PD and you dont have to string it up at a crazy tension or use poly to control it.

bagung
12-04-2006, 05:11 PM
the DNX8 was designed as a substitute for the PureDrive. (the profile is about identical). if you consider that, the racquet isnt harsh in comparison and is good at all the shots ..it isnt a frame for someone with TE, but is certainly less harsh than hitting with a PD and you dont have to string it up at a crazy tension or use poly to control it.

nbmj is right.... at first i try gut/poly hybrid, and it comes up very stiff, then try gut/multi, a little better.. the last one i tried is full soft multi, klip venom.. it is much softer in the stringbed..... but still not good enough for my TE

wally
12-05-2006, 03:32 AM
My regular hitting partner uses a DNX-8 with a full ashaway mongut 17g string job. He really likes it. I've hit a few with it and I'd agree with the others ---- even with the full poly its not as harsh as the PD Team

AdeAce
12-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Please describe your game, what you think of the Z MAx, and why are you considering switching rackets.

By the American standards around a 3.0 -3.5 player. 5'9 high, 14 stone, hit with almost too much top spin on the forehand, 2BH.

Play in division 3 and sometimes division 2 when needed.

Personally love the Z Max, I know its a starter stick, but the balance suits my game, and although the Excel strings don't last seem to be comfortable. Thinking of changing to a more flexible stick and my coach told me that the Volk have built in vibration dampers so I figured it would help my arm. Coming back from the old enemy of TE I am concerned that a stiff B'Lat is not the answer for the future. I am a fan of lightweight sticks, but I'm not sure my arm is!

alu16L
12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
By the American standards around a 3.0 -3.5 player. 5'9 high, 14 stone, hit with almost too much top spin on the forehand, 2BH.

Play in division 3 and sometimes division 2 when needed.

Personally love the Z Max, I know its a starter stick, but the balance suits my game, and although the Excel strings don't last seem to be comfortable. Thinking of changing to a more flexible stick and my coach told me that the Volk have built in vibration dampers so I figured it would help my arm. Coming back from the old enemy of TE I am concerned that a stiff B'Lat is not the answer for the future. I am a fan of lightweight sticks, but I'm not sure my arm is!

DNX 8 would be a better choice for you than the Z Max. You should really demo the racket for a few days and see how your arm reacts to it and how well it compliments your playing style. Besides the DNX 8 you should also consider: O3 Hybrid Spectrum Mp, Yonex RQS 11 Mp, Yonex RDS003 Mp,
and Fischer Pro#1 FT. All of these sticks are in the 11 ounces and lighter category and will be easier on your elbow than the Max. The strings are also very important, make sure you chose the softest string that provides you with desired durability.

AdeAce
12-05-2006, 07:51 AM
DNX 8 would be a better choice for you than the Z Max. You should really demo the racket for a few days and see how your arm reacts to it and how well it compliments your playing style. Besides the DNX 8 you should also consider: O3 Hybrid Spectrum Mp, Yonex RQS 11 Mp, Yonex RDS003 Mp,
and Fischer Pro#1 FT. All of these sticks are in the 11 ounces and lighter category and will be easier on your elbow than the Max. The strings are also very important, make sure you chose the softest string that provides you with desired durability.

Many thanks, the Yonex RDS003 Mp certainly looks the part! I will try and get a demo, but its tricky where I live in the UK

alu16L
12-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Many thanks, the Yonex RDS003 Mp certainly looks the part! I will try and get a demo, but its tricky where I live in the UK

If you can get your hands on the Yonex RDX 300 98, try that as well. And if you cannot get away from 107 sq. in. head size of your Max, try the 103 sq. in. version of the RDX 300 as well.

AdeAce
12-05-2006, 08:00 AM
If you can get your hands on the Yonex RDX 300 98, try that as well. And if you cannot get away from 107 sq. in. head size of your Max, try the 103 sq. in. version of the RDX 300 as well.

Thanks a lot, I will go and search for a demo from somewhere! This racquet is considered arm friendly then? I guess a good alternative to what I am using.

HappyLefty
12-05-2006, 08:02 AM
I was a PD user and switched to PK because some issues in my elbow. Now I´m testing a Volkl DNX v1 MP (see my signature).
I was doing a benchmarking among several Volkl racquets (DNXV1mp, DNXV1OS, Classic V1 and DNX8 ).
After several questions and reading some useful threats, specially from NBMJ I decided for DNX V1 mp. At this time I feel good with this racquet. My game has improved, specially in power under control.
Regarding DNX8, I read similar comments about its stifness. Could be a matter of string type and tension.
If you want an arm-friendy racquet, no doubt, go for Classic V1.