PDA

View Full Version : Review request: Pure Control Team Standard

snoflewis
12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
haven't seen too many reviews of this racket....given that it is indeed a babolat and stiff like no other, but how do you guys like it? i've tried it a while ago, but don't remember how it played...i just remember a unique feel.

thejuice
12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey Snoflewis,

It's funny that you, a fellow Redondonian, is asking about a stick that I have been having an affair with. The Pure Control Standard is a power stick that it great for hitting topspin groundies and serves (both flat and kick). It reminds me of a Maxpy McEnroe (which I loved) but seems to be more comfortable (I haven't had any pain as of yet).

snoflewis
12-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey Snoflewis,

It's funny that you, a fellow Redondonian, is asking about a stick that I have been having an affair with. The Pure Control Standard is a power stick that it great for hitting topspin groundies and serves (both flat and kick). It reminds me of a Maxpy McEnroe (which I loved) but seems to be more comfortable (I haven't had any pain as of yet).

thanks for the reply....im thinking about it as i found an offer for 3 of them (looking to get 2)...and if i don't like it, there's always the selling option on these boards.

Japan Tennis
12-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Hey

What about the pure Control team plus? any reviews on that racquet?

Do the woofer technology accually make the racquets more powerful? and are they going to introduce a cortex version?

Kevo
12-05-2006, 09:38 AM
I demoed the PC Team Standard. It was quite nice on serves. The stiffness and weight added maybe 5mph for free. I did find the extra power a bit hard to control on the ground. I had to really tone down my swing. I could not more than about 75% without the ball going out. I didn't really have any discomfort with the extra stiffness, but I didn't with the Pure Drive either so I don't know that I am the best judge of how that would affect your arm long term. I ended up going with the Pure Storm over the PC because the Storm has much better control IMO.

thejuice
12-05-2006, 07:26 PM
I demoed the PC Team Standard. It was quite nice on serves. The stiffness and weight added maybe 5mph for free. I did find the extra power a bit hard to control on the ground. I had to really tone down my swing. I could not more than about 75% without the ball going out. I didn't really have any discomfort with the extra stiffness, but I didn't with the Pure Drive either so I don't know that I am the best judge of how that would affect your arm long term. I ended up going with the Pure Storm over the PC because the Storm has much better control IMO.

Kevo, good point about swinging 75%. I also noticed that I have to tone down my swing but I'm not mad at that because I notice that I can get just as much depth and hit the ball just as heavy swinging at 75% compared to 95% with more lower powered racquets. These sticks just perform too well to ignore them. I am thinking about demoing a Pure Storm to compare so when I get back to town and get my hands on a demo I will definitely post a comparitive review.

tennis_nerd22
01-26-2007, 06:19 AM
juice, did you ever demo a pure storm? im very close to buying one, and need to know how it compares to the redondo mp (or mid, preferably midplus though).

thanks

emerckx53
01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
haven't seen too many reviews of this racket....given that it is indeed a babolat and stiff like no other, but how do you guys like it? i've tried it a while ago, but don't remember how it played...i just remember a unique feel.

Just tested one this morning because I had to see what all of the hoopla was about......personally I did not like it at all....I like raquets that have definite feel one way or another. To me all of the Babolats pretty much play the same. Yes there are differences in a PD and a Pure Storm BUT considering one is their softest and one is their stiffest....there is not much of a difference...compared to many sticks I have tried they feel very evenly balanced..meaning even the headlight spec does not feel like other raquets of the same headlight spec...all models are stiff and I personally didn't think it hit with any added power and since it is their "control" raquet I can tell you it ain't even close to the feel you get from a real feel or control racquet. Sorry I just don't get it. I feel like they are getting away with murder...taking advantage of their trendiness in the highschool/college ranks and because of their sizeable list of pro players....really an average stick that is marketed very smartly...remember, there is just my opinion!