PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on matching racquets

TonyB
12-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I have two Slazenger X1s.

One weighs 340g with 2 grams of lead at 3 o'clock and 2 grams of lead at 9 o'clock. The other one weighs 343g with no added lead.

The one WITH the added lead has a lower swingweight (approx. 313). The other racquet has a swingweight of approx 320.

I *PREFER* the lighter swingweight racquet. It feels so smooth when I swing it, like an extension of my arm. But the heavier one (even without any added weight) definitely feels different and not as smooth. Here's the problem:

I think it would be fairly complicated to try to add small amounts of weight around the head of the lighter racquet in the correct positions so as to match the heavier one. But is there any way to make the heavier racquet just like the lighter one?? Besides, I don't want to make them heavier anyways.

Or, is this just about as close as I can expect from two racquets?? I really think that the lighter racquet really benefitted from the added weight at 3 and 9 o'clock. But the heavier racquet will not allow me to do that without increasing the swingweight to the point where it will cause me to adjust my strokes.

Is this normal?? I mean, when I pick up the two racquets, I can physically (and very easily) FEEL the difference between them. Is that typically the way it is between "identical" frames??

Duzza
12-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Why don't you add 3 grams more to the 340 gram at 12 o clock, bring the SW up a little bit, because if you want MATCHED racquets, you're gonna have a hard time bringing DOWN a SW :p

TonyB
12-05-2006, 03:21 AM
I guess I'm wondering why they're so far off to begin with.

haerdalis
12-05-2006, 03:23 AM
This is usually the case unfortunately. You could remove the grip on the heavier one and replace it with a lighter grip. Thats about it as far as lowering weight I think.

th____44
12-05-2006, 05:01 AM
or with a sandpaper, decrease the grip size....this way you will have a lighter racquet....
another thing you can do is to use some thinner strings....

Punisha
12-05-2006, 05:18 AM
remove shocky...? sand off paintjob? o yer take of the bumper!

d wayne
12-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I had the same problem with my mFil300's. I added lead to one of them but it is still a bit lighter than the other 2. I shaved some of the bumper guard on the heaviest one & kept the middle one stock.
I can detect a slight difference in the 3 at this time, but they are close enough that I can switch between them without much adjustment.
As for the lightest one, I have tried adding even more lead, but have not been able to get it where it feels right. What I finally did was get all 3 to the point where each one feels its best, they each play well but very slightly different.
It is annoying to have such diferences in the same model, but it is not the end of the world. If I had a realistic shot at winning Open level tourneys around here I would have all matched perfectly, but that is not realistic.
I will be more aware of matching sticks next time I change racquets

Duzza
12-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I guess I'm wondering why they're so far off to begin with.

Quality control? Most companies are like +-5% of the specs for quality control.

NoBadMojo
12-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Quality control? Most companies are like +-5% of the specs for quality control.

actually industry standard tolerances are .03. Volkl typically runs .015 and Fischer is typically very tight specwise as well. Wilson is all over the place as is Head.

to the OP. do the panthers on both of your frames face the same direction? are the graphics identical?

TonyB
12-05-2006, 01:44 PM
The graphics are identical in all respects. I can't find even the smallest detail that is different. Even the melted-in number at the bottom of the handle under the clear plastic cap is the same.

(346 - 340) / 340 = 1.7% variation

I guess that's within "normal" variation, eh?

Too bad it's not well-distributed. It's almost as if that extra 6 grams are all at the top of the frame :(

I may try gradually increasing the swingweight of the lighter racquet, starting with a couple of grams just above the handle and moving it upward every time I play. That way, I might end up with the same racquet specs, or at least have them be similar.

They're no so far off as to think that they're from totally different racquet manufacturers. But the simple fact that's bugging me is that one of them doesn't feel like an extension of my arm like the other one does, and that's what I loved so much about the racquet in the first place.

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it. But I'd rather not, if I can avoid it.

NoBadMojo
12-05-2006, 02:48 PM
The graphics are identical in all respects. I can't find even the smallest detail that is different. Even the melted-in number at the bottom of the handle under the clear plastic cap is the same.

(346 - 340) / 340 = 1.7% variation

I guess that's within "normal" variation, eh?

Too bad it's not well-distributed. It's almost as if that extra 6 grams are all at the top of the frame :(

I may try gradually increasing the swingweight of the lighter racquet, starting with a couple of grams just above the handle and moving it upward every time I play. That way, I might end up with the same racquet specs, or at least have them be similar.

They're no so far off as to think that they're from totally different racquet manufacturers. But the simple fact that's bugging me is that one of them doesn't feel like an extension of my arm like the other one does, and that's what I loved so much about the racquet in the first place.

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it. But I'd rather not, if I can avoid it.

ya Tony..i would say your frames are within tolerance. I really dont rely much on weighing my frames..i know that i could have frames which weigh exactly the same and be balanced the same, which swing differently. your likely not going to be able to get them to feel exactly the same, and will be ending up screwing around with the one you like the best..and wouldnt you know it, it is someones' law that the lighter swingweighted frame is the one you like the best? :O think you are like me, and are very sensitive to these things.
with my t10's, i had 6 of them..one felt heavier, so i just sold it off rather than trying to get it to swing like the others. the other 5 feel very very close and i think i can pick up any one of them, and really not notice a difference in how they swing. I suggest you just play your favorite and keep the other as your backup or maybe pick a 3rd hoping it might feel like the one you like the best rather than the other

paulfreda
12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Why don't you add some lead tape just above the handle and/or in the butt.
This will make it more headlight even if adding overall weight. What it feels like to your arm and brain is what counts, not the physical measurements when you are this close between frames.

I have a 400gm [14oz] frame that feels very light to me due to the 12 pt HL setup.

TonyB
12-05-2006, 03:24 PM
One of the problems is that the racquet head could use a little more stability, which I have added by way of some added weight at 3 and 9 o'clock on the "lighter racquet". I can't do this on the heavier racquet because it will really increase the swingweight "feel" beyond what I would prefer to play with.

I guess it's not all bad. I mean, I *should* be trying to increase my capacity for higher swingweights, shouldn't I? But I do try to play a serve and volley game, and I also use this racquet for doubles, so a heavier swinging racquet isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Duzza
12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
actually industry standard tolerances are .03. Volkl typically runs .015 and Fischer is typically very tight specwise as well. Wilson is all over the place as is Head.

to the OP. do the panthers on both of your frames face the same direction? are the graphics identical?

Oh ok. I think I remember some discussion about this with people saying 0.03 wasn't 3 Percent..