PDA

View Full Version : Avery M3 Control Review

jdeloach
12-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Avery M3 Control Review

Design

The racquet has a very nice finish. Even though I am not crazy about the color orange, it actually works on this racquet. The crossbar gives it a very unique look that resembles many greats from the past. The grip is very nice, especially under a Yonex SuperGrap overgrip.

Score: 7/10

Groundstrokes

This racquet will surprise many from the baseline. With its 12.4 oz it really plows through the ball, but maneuvers with ease due to the 12pts HL. From the baseline, I am hitting heavier balls than I have ever hit. The racquet seems to do all the work for you allowing you to really concentrate more on form rather than killing the ball. It's 16X20 stringbed allows amazing topspin, and the control in deadly accurate.
My weakness has always been my topspin backhand, but not anymore. I am able to hit deep topspin shots one-handed and follow it up with a cross-court angle for a winner. Backhands are now becoming a favorite shot of mine, and an enemy of my opponents.

Score: 8/10

Volleys

I believe this is the M3's strongest area. The weight with the crossbar allows incredible, crisp volleys with ease. The bar really stabilizes the racquet while trying to defend against a heavy ball. The racquets headlight feeling comes in handy while at the net. I am able to react a lot faster and still hit an accurate volley.

Score: 9.5/10

Serve

Wow!!! I am getting more pop on my first serves than I did with any other racquet I have owned. Once again the pinpoint accuracy makes you understand why the call it M3 Control. My kick serves have improved as well. They just seem so effortless. Very happy with my serves now.

score: 9/10

Overall

I highly recommend adding this racquet to any serious list to demo. Do not let the name scare you away, Tom Avery has created an amazing stick. If you are a baseliner or a serve & volleyer, you will really enjoy this racquet.

Total Score: 8.6/10

http://i12.tinypic.com/2wqsh75.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/30j6yi8.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/454ir9w.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/47s2wdd.jpg

bcsax123
12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Its just what i have been looking for, a racquet that fills in the gap between the POG mid and POG OS. Too bad I spent my Christmas and birthday present for my FXP Prestige MP (Its expensive)

tonysk83
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
No offense to you, but I can hardly trust this review since you are sponsored by them. You will never hear anyone sponsored by a company say negative things about their product. Now if TW did a review, then I'd listen.

bcsax123
12-04-2006, 07:43 PM
No offense to you, but I can hardly trust this review since you are sponsored by them. You will never hear anyone sponsored by a company say negative things about their product. Now if TW did a review, then I'd listen.

I think he is just saying what he thinks about the racquet, look at the scores. It's not negative, yet not very positive.

jdeloach
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM

deleted post

fuzz nation
12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey j, I hope you don't have a "Yonex Forever" tatoo that you need removed now. It sounded like you were completely hooked on them, but congratulations on the sponsorship. I thought my older Prostaffs were too heavy, but after trying lighter gear, I've found a good fit for me in the heavier direction and my confidence is riding a new high. Hopefully we can both stop worrying about racquets and just shred in '07.

...ps; thanks for taking a few minutes to review...

Duzza
12-05-2006, 03:30 AM
I stopped reading after you gave the design 8/10 :|

anirut
12-05-2006, 03:46 AM
I kinda like a racket with crossbar. Actually if Avery is available here, I would have gotten one. Seeing the specs, the Avery seems to me like a "that's it!" racket.

jdeloach
12-05-2006, 04:49 AM
I stopped reading after you gave the design 8/10 :|

LOL.......I would have given it a 6/10 based on pictures, but it really does look a lot nicer in person.

AndrewD
12-05-2006, 09:50 AM
jdeloach,

I can't agree regarding the cosmetics: the three tones is just a bit much. If they'd stuck with the blue all the way down then it would have looked a lot better than throwing in a bit of white. Just too busy and I'm sure it will put quite a few people off the racquet (I think we can see on this message board how 'image conscious' people can be - they'll accept the hideous K-factor because of who and what it's associated with).

I would also say, the M3 Control ISNT a racquet that does all of the work for you. If you're late on your shots and can't get into position, you're stuffed. The up side is that the racquet seems to be very comfortable. I've had a bit of forearm trouble but experienced no discomfort when using the M3 Control.

It is a simple but very solid racquet that does everything you need it to do and could be a good choice IF you can handle the weight (lets face it, not everyone will want to). I found the spin potential to be very good but not amazing (it's not in the POG or APD bracket) and due mainly to the moderate swingweight and very head light balance. So, despite the higher static weight, you can whip the racquet head. As you said, net play was excellent and manoeuvrability was good. Serving was crisp with easy access to spin for slice and kick serves. Groundstrokes -flat and topspin- had good weight and slice approaches stayed low.

I'd say that anyone who claims to want a racquet that doesn't do the work for them and doesn't care if there is any connection to a pro player should give the Avery a try. It's a nice option for those with a solid game, not those with a fragile ego.

Oh, and you might want to fill people in on some little details such as grip shape and swingweight. I had to add a replacement grip and overgrip to get the right size so the grip ended up being very round and I couldn't really tell what it most resembled.

bcsax123
12-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I kinda like a racket with crossbar. Actually if Avery is available here, I would have gotten one. Seeing the specs, the Avery seems to me like a "that's it!" racket.

i wish the Prestige had a crossbar, it would be so awesome with one.

anirut
12-05-2006, 06:43 PM
The crossbar really helps with racket stability.

BTW, is the Avery available in Australia? Anyone?

jdeloach
12-05-2006, 06:55 PM

Don't know for sure, but I can make you a great deal on some.

Richie Rich
12-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Don't know for sure, but I can make you a great deal on some.

talk to me quakish@cogeco.ca

Noveson
12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I don't think the pj is too busy, just plain ugly. They look like racquets coming out of somebody's house.

OrangeOne
12-05-2006, 09:54 PM

The flipside? At least jdeloach did the open, honest & transparent thing of saying it upfront (hey - I did suggest he do this, but I'm sure he would have anyways). So sure - you can say that his review is tainted by some bias, sure - but there's other people who post on forums (not just tennis) who have undisclosed financial interests. I'd trust someone who's upfront and honest about a connection more than someone who may seem dubious (like the person 'recommending' wrist-devices last week).

And - as jde says - he reviewed his old Yonex higher, so kudos for trying to be as fair as possible jde. Be sure to fill us in more about the racquets down the track!

For the record, I agree with others - I don't like the graphics, but equally, I'd play with *any stick at all* if I thought my game would improve, I don't care about the graphics one bit!

Duzza
12-05-2006, 11:16 PM

I've never seen them. Even at the small brand stores...

AndrewD
12-05-2006, 11:32 PM
anirut,

As far as I'm aware, the Avery racquets aren't available here in Australia. The ones I used belonged to an American who was playing at our club (we're attached to a university so get a large number of international players).

kimi
12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Is M3 better than RDS001 MP?

anirut
12-06-2006, 04:22 AM
AndrewD & Duzza, thanks for the info.

AndrewD
12-06-2006, 06:55 AM
anirut,

Thats okay but, can I also add that I'd still choose my POG mid over the M3 any day as I could never justify paying an extra $60 for 2 more sq inches.

ohplease
12-06-2006, 07:09 AM
The flipside? At least jdeloach did the open, honest & transparent thing of saying it upfront (hey - I did suggest he do this, but I'm sure he would have anyways). So sure - you can say that his review is tainted by some bias, sure - but there's other people who post on forums (not just tennis) who have undisclosed financial interests. I'd trust someone who's upfront and honest about a connection more than someone who may seem dubious (like the person 'recommending' wrist-devices last week).

And - as jde says - he reviewed his old Yonex higher, so kudos for trying to be as fair as possible jde. Be sure to fill us in more about the racquets down the track!

I completely agree. jdeloach played it straight - other sponsored posters should follow his lead.

jdeloach - or anyone, really - have you had a chance to play the avery sticks against the old Prince Precisions 670/710s? They look like they come out of the exact same molds, and I'm wondering if they capture some of that old magic.

jdeloach
02-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Avery M3 Control Pictures added!!

CollegeBound
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
jdeloach,

How does the M3 Control compare to a racquet like the nSix-One 95? How much less power do you get with the Avery than the Wilson?

I see you're doing a lot of reviews, does that mean you're not sponsored by Avery any longer?

jdeloach
02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
jdeloach,

How does the M3 Control compare to a racquet like the nSix-One 95? How much less power do you get with the Avery than the Wilson?

The Wilson has noticeably more power. The Avery is a very good racquet, that deserves a little more attention than it gets.

I see you're doing a lot of reviews, does that mean you're not sponsored by Avery any longer?

I never signed the deal with Avery, I ended up going with Tecnifibre. I have to use them during matches and while teaching, but practice and other times I try different stuff out.

kabob
02-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Have you had a chance to try out the Avery M3 Power? Could you comment on how it compares to other players racquets, specifically the Wilson 6.0 85 and the Tour 90 triplets (PS, nCode and K-Factor)?

stormholloway
03-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Then don't trust it.

Is he supposed to give it a bad score so you'll think him trustworthy?

jdeloach
03-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Then don't trust it.

Is he supposed to give it a bad score so you'll think him trustworthy?

Thanks Storm. I actually never signed the sponsorship contract, so he had nothing to complain about.

iksmols
03-30-2007, 11:36 AM
After playing with this racquet for the past month I have to say that this review is very acurate.This racquet is a real gem.For the conspiracy buffs ....No,I am not sponsored or associated in any way with Avery.I simply like the racquet .

Clintspin
03-30-2007, 06:09 PM
The Avery M3 control and M3 power both play nicely. I disagree on the complaints about the design. It is nice to see something different. Simply a good racquet without all the bull that comes with every years model from Wilson, Head, Prince etc.

jlui21
04-14-2007, 01:23 AM
jdeloach,

I am actually interested as well. How does the avery M3 series compare to other racquets like the prince diablo mid, MP, or the Wilson 6.1 ncode 95, PS 85, POG mid and OS, etc?

I am intrigued b/c my current diablo mp sucks and my Prostaff 85 is good but pointless in today's juiced up world. I tried the POG mid and OS, and the mid was kind of bad for me but the POG OS was fairly decent. So if this Avery M3 is somewhere in the b/w them, that would be enough for me to buy and try

Also, how does the M3 power and control differ to you (mr. jdeloach) or anyone else who has used it?