PDA

View Full Version : Stringing at Pro Tournaments

federer_nadal
12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
I have alway been pretty interested in how the stringing system at pro tournaments works. Do the pros have to bring their own strings? Are the costs of stringing included in the entry fee? Does the gut come in packets or is it in reels? (since so much is used). Do you know if it is possible to go to the stringing room at the AO?

jj300
12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
the company that strings usually has their own system of checking rackets in and etc. most pros bring their own strings since they are sponsored, i belive some string can be purchased as well? i never saw gut in a reel, it has to be protected from the air to stop it from degrading so I doubt u will ever see it on a reel. stringing fee is per racket and not included in entry fee. this year's us open was $25 labor per racket.

chrisplchs
12-05-2006, 11:22 AM
labor fees depend on what tournament it is. Wimbledon is 10 pounds per racquet while the US Open as it said is 25. Some of the futures, challengers, and satellites charge between 10-20 for stringing. and this is only for labor. usually players will carry their own string. almost all players will pick a stringer before the tournament starts and have only him string for the tournament to ensure consistency. the player will give the stringing room a reel of his string (if non-gut. gut is only in packages), labeled of course to make it easy for both the stringer and player to have string available.

i not sure it is possible to go to the stringing room at the AO and talk and chat with the stringers but it is possible to observe them.

eunjam
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
but who actually pays the stringers?

the event? the players' sponsors?

i just can't see a stringer asking federer for his amex card.

i also wonder if the stringers charge extra for in-match delivery like i saw agassi that one time during a US open match.

xtremerunnerars
12-05-2006, 06:39 PM

i also wonder if the stringers charge extra for in-match delivery like i saw agassi that one time during a US open match.

I'd guess it's the sponsors...unless it's for marat!

dancraig
12-05-2006, 07:42 PM

I think Agassi had his own personal stringer that traveled with him.

chrisplchs
12-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Usually the fee for labor is deducted from tournament winnings of the player. Say a guy gets 20 racquet strung at 20 dollars a racquet for labor. He wins 100k at the event. Thus 400 is deducted from his winnings.

The stringer gets paid by the racquet, not hourly. usually, the stringer gets a cut of the fee that is charged for labor. So he might get paid 10 dollars a racquet while the tournamet keeps the other money

uk_skippy
12-06-2006, 04:54 AM
labor fees depend on what tournament it is. Wimbledon is 10 pounds per racquet while the US Open as it said is 25..........almost all players will pick a stringer before the tournament starts and have only him string for the tournament to ensure consistency. the player will give the stringing room a reel of his string (if non-gut. gut is only in packages), labeled of course to make it easy for both the stringer and player to have string available.

Wimbledon is not £10.00 (US$15). It ranges from around £13 (US$20) to £16 (US$25) depending on the string type, eg syn gut, poly, nat gut or hybrid. At Wimbledon (and the qualifiers) players leave their rqts with string and then they are strung as required (eg time the player is playing and/or how urgent the rqts are. Players may request to have the same stringer (and/or machine) for their rqts but this is usually done after the rqts have been strung once. Players have to request this it is not done as a matter of course although we do try and keep the same players with the same stringers. Due to the rotation of the stringers during the 3 weeks, players may not get the same stringer and so the emphasis is try and have their rqts at least strung on the same machine. Players strings, whether reels or sets are filed away until they want more rqts strung. Stringers dont tend to personally retain players string. Its difficult trying to get through a stack of rqts without having a pile of string aorund the machine.

Again, at Wimbledon, players are charged for the cost of stringing. Stringers get paid a flat rate per day. There is no extra charge for delivery of the rqt to the courtside but we have runners for that.

Regards

Paul

Richard Parnell
12-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Hey Paul,
see you at The Grid next year ??
Richard

uk_skippy
12-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Hey Paul,
see you at The Grid next year ??
Richard

If I can I will. Mr. Brock owes me a beer. Do you think I'll get it?

Regards

Paul

Richard Parnell
12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Paul,
Get real he's Scottish.
I'll get the first one and we can hold him down until he agrees or we can bring in a wheel barrow and he can give us a repeat.
Hang in there,
Richard

eunjam
12-06-2006, 12:47 PM
thanks for clarifying things up uk_skippy.

bottom line though for stringers, may i assume, is that most of the stringers, if not all, don't want to string at Wimbledon for the actual money they make, but rather for the experience, the camaraderie, and the ability to put on one's resume that not only are they super MRT's, but have been on the XXXgrand slam and or any other pro event nameXXX stringing team.

Richard Parnell
12-07-2006, 07:00 AM
There is going to be a stringing seminar in Texas at the beginning of April 07 and will offer workshops and possibilities for stringers to take CS and MRT exams.
Should be good especially if you are a stringing geek like me.
All the best,
Richard

Greg Raven
12-07-2006, 09:56 AM
At the Pacific Life Open, each player is asked to supply a credit card number when he drops off his first racquet, although some players are allowed to run a tab to be paid by cash or check before leaving the tournament. The labor charge is $25 per frame for restringing, with Star Stringing (the team) getting a cut of each payment. That is, the person doing the stringing does not get the full $25.

In the case of Federer, he has Priority One under contract for stringing work.

LttlElvis
12-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Richard Parnell,

Where in Texas will they do this?

varuscelli
12-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Richard Parnell,

Where in Texas will they do this?

Yeah, there might be a photographer from the Houston area who would like to travel and take a few photos at the event. :)

jj300
12-07-2006, 11:05 AM
check out grand slam stringers.com for details on the event. i believe its close to newk's tennis and about 25 miles from san antonio.

varuscelli
12-07-2006, 12:06 PM
check out grand slam stringers.com for details on the event. i believe its close to newk's tennis and about 25 miles from san antonio.

OK, I checked it out. The T Bar M Ranch, Resort and Conference Center in New Braunfels is a 209 mile door-to-door drive for me. That would be about a 3.5 hour, mostly highway drive for me -- or a 2-hour trip if my wife drives me there. :p

migjam
12-08-2006, 04:17 PM
At the Pacific Life Open, each player is asked to supply a credit card number when he drops off his first racquet, although some players are allowed to run a tab to be paid by cash or check before leaving the tournament. The labor charge is $25 per frame for restringing, with Star Stringing (the team) getting a cut of each payment. That is, the person doing the stringing does not get the full $25.

In the case of Federer, he has Priority One under contract for stringing work.

That is correct and the players that didn't have a credit card on file or forgot to pay, we would flag with the tournament so when they went to pick up their prize money, the tournament would tell them that they need to settle with the stringers first.