PDA

View Full Version : Leathergrip lovers, need some tips.

morten
12-04-2006, 11:42 PM
I have always used leather on my ps 85, the last 5 years with an overgrip, but i have decided to try to go back to only leather(partly because of gripsize). I need some tips on how to clean them, i have about 10 and some are very dirty. And some suggestions on how to keep them "dry" at the end of a match (i always felt they became slippery when sweating a lot). Could sawdust ala Lendl be something? or talkumpowder? Thanks.

morten
12-05-2006, 02:17 AM
anyone ...?

Duzza
12-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Well I use leather, but not long enough for these problems to arise.....cleaning them? Pfft...I would just replace it if I had the cash. I don't lose grip with leather and sweat, I actually think they improve with sweat build up :confused:

morten
12-05-2006, 02:33 AM
ok,thanks, but some have some electricaltapegluelike things on them, nedd to clean them.

Tennis Man
12-05-2006, 05:21 AM
I just use warm water and a little bit of soap. Just brush the surface firmly but don't soak. For a heavy application you should use a special leather cleaner (try a local shoes or leather store).

Dr. Van Nostrand
12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
When I bought a bunch of Fairway grips a few years ago they came with a factory tag that recommeded cleaning the grip with alcohol and then using a few drops of castor oil to restore the tackiness. I have done it and it works pretty well.

Jim Hendricks
12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Ive been told that shaving cream with lanolin works well in cleaning them.

fujitsu77
12-05-2006, 11:30 AM
You can use some alcohol. That should work well.

Also, you could use shaving cream (I've tried this on baseball gloves - works really well).

JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON"T SOAK THE GRIP W/ ANYTHING!!!

(this will ruin your grip)

snoflewis
12-05-2006, 05:39 PM
i used some shoe cleaner (for leather of course) and it worked fine.

Kirko
12-05-2006, 06:23 PM
heres what fairway reccomended and came on a card with the grip: clean with denatured alchol and refinish with castor oil and heres the trick you can always put more on, but impossible to remove if you put too much on. castor ouil is so light and it gives the grip new life once cleaned. I have actually done it before the grip got that crummy and it worked great. remember leather has pores like skin and to clean it you got to flush the dirt out. hope this helps.