PDA

View Full Version : Small crack in racquet-does anyone have a home remedy fix?

Tennisserver
08-16-2004, 07:33 AM
I have a Prince Thunderlite Oversize racquet. I have a small crack at the head of the racquet (on the inside) between the two middle grommets. Has anyone ever fixed a racquet themselves? If so, how? Is there a compound that can be purchased that can fix it? I know a pro shop that fixes them and they actually pour in a graphite compound in the frame, bake it, and then re-drill the holes. Its costly.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Acer

ambro
08-16-2004, 09:33 AM
I've heard of people buying fiberglass repair kits from like Home Depot and fixing graphite hockey sticks with it, and I bet you could save your racquet for a while with one. I don't know exactly how they work though.

Eug
08-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Never heard of fixing cracks. Its time for a new racquet.

kreative
08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
fiberglas and epoxy may do the trick

Gaines Hillix
08-16-2004, 12:08 PM
I agree that fiberglass and epoxy may at least stabilize the crack and help keep it from growing. The best way to do it would be to remove the strings and grommets(they'll have to be replaced with a new set). Then sand down the area that is cracked to get down to raw material(no paint). Then mix/apply the epoxy, a layer of fiber glass and then more epoxy. Cover the existing grommet holes so none of the epoxy gets in there. Let it cure, then sand the repaired area and spray paint it to match.

Eug
08-16-2004, 02:34 PM
I dont know if it will hold when strung multiple times and constantly used. If your a recreational player that hits around once in a while, then maybe its the way to go.

rich s
08-16-2004, 03:16 PM
if you try to wet lay-up glass and epoxy you're going to change the weight, balance and swingweight - cosmetically it may look repaired but two layers of glass and epoxy aren't going to have the equivalent strength of stiffness of the original material.

I'd say it's time for a new stick.

Eug
08-16-2004, 04:22 PM
I would use any excuse as a chance to buy a new racquet :lol: