PDA

View Full Version : Changing A Self-Rating

Cindysphinx
12-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I have a prospective player who self-rated days ago at 3.5. I think she should be 3.0. I think she made a mistake. She is a strong 3.0, but I don't think she's 3.5 just yet.

She has already registered with one 3.5 team, although she has never played a USTA match.

Can she re-rate down to 3.0 before the season begins? If so, how?

If so, how do I communicate "Welcome to our team! By the way, you rated yourself too high."?

DRtenniS1112
12-05-2006, 10:56 AM
You must contact the person who is in charge of your section's USTA leagues. She may be able to appeal or rerate but I am not sure. As far as the communication goes...Good Luck. It may be a tough one there.

aidenous
12-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Since they self-rated and have not played you should be able to get their rating changed. I had the same thing happen. When the player registered and got to the self rate section they actually read the NTRP rating descriptions and thought they were a 3.5 when acutally 2.5 would have been closer.

I contacted my local and state coordinator and it was changed with a couple of days.

cak
12-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I have a prospective player who self-rated days ago at 3.5. I think she should be 3.0. I think she made a mistake. She is a strong 3.0, but I don't think she's 3.5 just yet.

You realize a strong self rated 3.0 will get DQ'd faster than a strong computer rated 3.0, right? If she is likely to improve enough to be a mid level 3.5 by the end of the season she will be DQ'd just as you would have made playoffs.

Cindysphinx
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
You realize a strong self rated 3.0 will get DQ'd faster than a strong computer rated 3.0, right? If she is likely to improve enough to be a mid level 3.5 by the end of the season she will be DQ'd just as you would have made playoffs.

This is true, which is why I have an elaborate plan.

She is self-rated 3.5. She has signed up already with another ladies' daytime team at 3.5. Those matches are not "combo," so they will count toward her rating.

Say I convince her to re-rate as a 3.0. She would stay on that 3.5 team as a 3.0, thereby playing up. No chance of disqualification.

At the same time, she would play on my combo 6.5 team, also as a 3.0, of course. No chance of disqualification, as combo doesn't have disqualification and results don't count toward computer ratings.

Then we get to April (when all players' results will count toward computer rating and disqualification is possible). We will then decide whether she has improved. If she got her clock cleaned at 3.5 (as I suspect), then she can safely play for my 3.0 team in April. If she does well at 3.5, then she just keeps playing up until November, when the computer will computer-rate her at 3.5.

Can't miss, right?

cak
12-05-2006, 02:07 PM

She is self-rated 3.5. She has signed up already with another ladies' daytime team at 3.5. Those matches are not "combo," so they will count toward her rating.

Say I convince her to re-rate as a 3.0. She would stay on that 3.5 team as a 3.0, thereby playing up. No chance of disqualification.

At the same time, she would play on my combo 6.5 team, also as a 3.0, of course. No chance of disqualification, as combo doesn't have disqualification and results don't count toward computer ratings.

Then we get to April (when all players' results will count toward computer rating and disqualification is possible). We will then decide whether she has improved. If she got her clock cleaned at 3.5 (as I suspect), then she can safely play for my 3.0 team in April. If she does well at 3.5, then she just keeps playing up until November, when the computer will computer-rate her at 3.5.

Can't miss, right?

Wow, I love your section. In NorCal there is not automatic disqualifications in combo, but opposing captains can file a complaint. If she looks even a bit stronger than her partner in combo, the captains could look her up in the NorCal database. If she's playing and doing well in 3.5 there's a good chance she will get disqualified in combo. If she's doing really well in 3.5s there's a good chance her combo captain will get barred from playing up to a year and captaining up to two years. I've been pulled into section headquarters as the captain of a combo team for a player who played 2.5 season and didn't get DQ'd, but now was playing combo at 2.5. We managed to appeal our ruling. According to the guys in Livermore, 80% of the out of level appeals by opposing captains pass, and lose on appeal.

kylebarendrick
12-05-2006, 02:11 PM
She can still be bumped to a 3.5 while playing on the 3.5 team (even as a 3.0) which would eliminate her from playing as a 3.0 on your combo team from that point forward. I don't believe any previous matches would be forfeited, though. At least, this is how I believe Norcal does it - I don't know about your section.

tennis-n-sc
12-05-2006, 02:50 PM

Can't miss, right?

It is amazing to me to watch women atempt to work a league team. Who are you to decide whether she has improved? If I was her, I'd tell you to get lost. Between this and holding tryouts, I'm surprised you can get enough players to make a team. It just must be gender thing. Men here would never tolerate a captain attempting all this. It's a game. Sometimes I think some of us forget this.

migjam
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
If it is like our section, you self rate via the website which gives you a rating. You must appeal this rating to have it changed.

Cindysphinx
12-06-2006, 03:30 AM
It is amazing to me to watch women atempt to work a league team. Who are you to decide whether she has improved? If I was her, I'd tell you to get lost. Between this and holding tryouts, I'm surprised you can get enough players to make a team. It just must be gender thing. Men here would never tolerate a captain attempting all this. It's a game. Sometimes I think some of us forget this.

I don't see what the problem is.

I didn't say *I* would decide whether she had improved. I said *we* would decide. If she's playing No. 3 position at 3.5 and is losing all her matches badly, then I think this would be compelling evidence that she over-rated.

Also, I don't think there's anything unethical about what I'm thinking here. **I think she rated herself too high.** In our match, I (a computer-rated 3.0) partnered with her. We played against a computer-rated 3.5 who just moved up from 3.0 and a self-rated 3.0 who is weaker than me. They beat us 6-1. Then I paired this self-rated 3.5 with the other 3.5, and I partnered with the self-rated 3.0. We were on serve when time was up and we had to stop.

So how can this woman be 3.5 if she can't whip two 3.0s when paired with a strong 3.5?

The issue of whether she would get bumped up in the middle of 2007 is interesting. I do not believe players in our section ever receive word they have been bumped up until near the end of the calendar year. So if she plays as a 3.0 and does well playing up at 3.5, she won't get any feedback that she is flirting with disqualification at 3.0.

Which is why she and I would have to decide whether it is reasonable for her to play at 3.0.