PDA

View Full Version : I want the hoop to compress, at least, 1/8th of an inch; how do I do this?

Ripper
12-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I wasn't sure of where to post this... Anyway, in order to try to accomplish this, I asked my stringer to string a raquet for me with these tensions: crosses at 50 pounds and mains at 55 pounds. It worked. However, since then, I've tried to repeat this on two opportunities and have failed. On neither of those two last attempts has the hoop compressed whatsoever. The funny thing is both were done with the same raquet, the same strings, the same tensions, the same stringer and the same machine, which is a Neos. To tell you the truth, I've never told the stringer what I'm trying to do. He's just a machine operator and doesn't know much about tennis. However, I'm always standing by him when he does my raquets, telling him to straighten the strings (etc.) and I'm satisfied with his work. So, what could he have done differently the last two times? Maybe, clamp down the raquet harder?

Davai
12-05-2006, 12:50 PM
That's indeed strange. There is another variable that you haven't mentioned, but I have never used it to achieve what you are trying to achieve. The variable is "prestretching" the frame. I don't recommended doing this for inexperienced stringers as it can be very bad for the frame if used improperly. I'm not sure about NEOS type of stringers but you should be able to prestretch the frame. Try telling your stringer to string the frame with all the conditions you mentioned but the racket should be mounted excatly up to the frame - minimal frame resistance, minimal force. If that doesn't work try prestretching the frame a little. One of the latter conditions should work.

Ripper
12-06-2006, 05:30 AM
Try telling your stringer to string the frame with all the conditions you mentioned but the racket should be mounted excatly up to the frame - minimal frame resistance, minimal force.

Thanks. I agree, I wouldn't want this guy to try any kind of pre-stretching (or pre-compressing, in this case). Regarding your suggestion, underlined above, I'd be very grateful if you could, please, explain with a bit more detail; I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.

Davai
12-12-2006, 06:26 PM
What I meant was that the racket should be monted flush but not finger tight. meaning you should see the suports touching the frame with no spaces but no more than that. Usually the racket is mounted when it's secured quite nicely but i'm talking about the absolute minumum.
You mentioned pre-compression I wouldn't try that to a large extent maybe very little and the rest let the tension difference do.
Hope that helps, let us know if it worked.