PDA

View Full Version : Fischer grip size- How small are they?

weed
12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
If I were to buy a fischer racquet and normally use a wilson with 4 3/8 grip, should I buy the fischer with a 4 1/2 grip?

NoBadMojo
12-05-2006, 03:23 PM
i would, but then again it is easy to build up a grip but sometimes not very possible to reduce one. if you are buying w.o a demo (which i dont recommend), to be on the safe side, why dont you order unstrung? you can always swap it for the other gripsize if not right that way

weed
12-05-2006, 03:48 PM
actually the one I want is discontinued and I can't demo it. I wanna buy one used to demo it and if i don't like i'll sell it but I still want the right grip size (i'm picky about grip size and feeling the bevels)

NBMJ, what's your opinion on head grips. i remember people saying that they run a size small like but I felt a 4 3/8 head and it only felt a half size smaller while the 4 1/2 head grip felt to big. Is this how the fischer grips are or do they actually feel a whole grip size smaller? thanks for your help

and also could it be because of the small buttcap? I plan on building up on the buttcap so it feels more flared out

exruda
12-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I used to play a wilson 4 3/8, and now I play with a Fischer and decided on a 4 1/2. It was a little strange at first, but mostly because of the grip shape; when I look at how much grip is visible when I hold either of the racquets, it looks/feels practically the same, which would mean that the Fischer is almost a whole grip size smaller.

alu16L
12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I normally use 4 3/8 in Wilson rackets and 4 1/2 in Fischer rackets. The biggest difference between the two is the size of the butt cap. Fischer's butt cap is samller than Wilson's and I find it very comfortable. With Head rackets I use 4 1/2 grips size with 4 3/8 wilson butt cap - this combo has an awsome feel, much better suited for my grip than Head's 4 1/2 butt cap.

I'd recommend to go for the 4 1/2 Fischer grip. If you don't mind me asking, what racket are you purchasing? Is it a Pro#1 by any chance?

NoBadMojo
12-05-2006, 05:19 PM
NBMJ, what's your opinion on head grips. i remember people saying that they run a size small like but I felt a 4 3/8 head and it only felt a half size smaller while the 4 1/2 head grip felt to big. Is this how the fischer grips are or do they actually feel a whole grip size smaller? thanks for your help

and also could it be because of the small buttcap? I plan on building up on the buttcap so it feels more flared out

I am normally reluctant to comment on grip sizes as that falls into the subjective area of perceptions, but Fischer is the one grip I think would feel noticeably smaller...a full size. The others feel pretty standard in size to me other than having different shapes. Grips can feel larger or smaller based on their shape as well so you get varying perceptions. The butt is really easy to build up on a Fischer....just dont get carried away like Kafelnikof !

Steve Huff
12-05-2006, 09:00 PM
I don't know i that's the case. I used a 4 1/2 ProKennex. I bought 4 3/8 Fischers. They are more rectangular than PK grips. About the same height, but narrower.

s1jor
12-06-2006, 02:31 AM
you can just change the pallet on new fischers anyway, if you by the wrong grip size, just buy a new pallet of the correct size and away ya go.

Simon

Steve Huff
12-06-2006, 06:22 AM
I noticed that they looked as if they had some plastic screws that held the pallet together. Do you have to order them from Fischer, or will TW carry them?

s1jor
12-06-2006, 07:11 AM
sorry i'm in the uk, so cant helpon whether fischer usa willcarry them or tennis warehouse.com. The 2 screws you see just unscrew those and the grip pallett will come away from the frame in 2 halves.

Simon

weed
12-06-2006, 08:22 AM
thanks everybody for your help. its good to know that the pallets are replaceable

oh and alu16L, its not the pro#1 sorry

frekcles
12-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Weed check your email

WhiteSox05CA
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Somehow the 4 5/8 grip size felt good for me, when I usually use a 4 3/8 on any other racquet.