PDA

View Full Version : Trouble wiht grip sizes

federermcenroeagassi
12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
hi, i need help with something...

i kno there is a swing to using lower grip sizes (1/4 and 3/8) for more spin, even pros do, like fed or nadal who are big guys use 3/8 and 1/4 grips respectivly... i find 1/4 too small b/c my wrist hurts after i play, and 3/8 doesnt feel comforteble. but 5/8 is the best for me, i play better with it and hurts less.

am i deformed or is this 'preference'? bcuz no one i kno uses big grip sizes, so im wondering if maybe im doing somethin wrong ( im only 5'5").

thanks very much

bcsax123
12-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Maybe you have large hands.

OR because you can have more solid hits because of large gripsize.

nickb
12-06-2006, 02:12 AM
It also depends what type of grip you use, i use full western and can use smaller grip sizes (even though i use grip 4) easily. It just depends what you are used to , maybee your hands are insanly big lol.

Nick

federermcenroeagassi
12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
lol my hands are pretty small, as small as those who use 1/4 or 3/8 grips.. i use eastern fh and 2h backhand

BreakPoint
12-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I'd say it's more likely that your friends (as well as the pros) are using grips that are too small.

As a teenager, I used a 4 5/8 and now I use a 4 1/2 with a thick leather grip and a thick overgrip, and I have pretty small hands compared to most men. It really confuses me how some grown men can get away with using 4 1/4 and 4 3/8 grips without either hurting themselves or having to grip so uncomfortably tightly to prevent the racquet handle from twisting in their hand.

alu16L
12-06-2006, 11:51 PM
hi, i need help with something...

i kno there is a swing to using lower grip sizes (1/4 and 3/8) for more spin, even pros do, like fed or nadal who are big guys use 3/8 and 1/4 grips respectivly... i find 1/4 too small b/c my wrist hurts after i play, and 3/8 doesnt feel comforteble. but 5/8 is the best for me, i play better with it and hurts less.

am i deformed or is this 'preference'? bcuz no one i kno uses big grip sizes, so im wondering if maybe im doing somethin wrong ( im only 5'5").

thanks very much

You said nothing of the 4 1/2 grips size, so I think you should give it a try. Also, what racket do you use?
And who cares what other people use, use the one that feels more comfortable to you, plus you can always brag to the ladies about your 4 5/8 grip. :-D

federermcenroeagassi
12-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd say it's more likely that your friends (as well as the pros) are using grips that are too small.

As a teenager, I used a 4 5/8 and now I use a 4 1/2 with a thick leather grip and a thick overgrip, and I have pretty small hands compared to most men. It really confuses me how some grown men can get away with using 4 1/4 and 4 3/8 grips without either hurting themselves or having to grip so uncomfortably tightly to prevent the racquet handle from twisting in their hand.

im same as u, small hands compared to most, and i too dont understand how pro's can use such small grips...

You said nothing of the 4 1/2 grips size, so I think you should give it a try. Also, what racket do you use?
And who cares what other people use, use the one that feels more comfortable to you, plus you can always brag to the ladies about your 4 5/8 grip. :-D

ya thats a good idea, maybe if i get my hands on a k tour 90, ill go with 4 1/2; ps tour 90; ya i no that thing about individual prference, but even the pro's use small grips, so i was just wondering...; haha ya im used to holding big things (my big thing(s)... LOL)... ;O