PDA

View Full Version : Orange Bowl

Dashbarr
12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
article from usta.com:

"Top Seed Falls in Orange Bowl Girls' 18s; No. 2 Donald Young Advances

12/4/06 10:47 PM

By Tim Curry

KEY BISCAYNE, FL -- For the second time in three years, the No. 1 seed in the girls’ 18s Orange Bowl International Tennis Championships is gone after the first round.
Japan’s Ayumi Morita, ranked No. 3 in the world, lost to Kai-Chen Chang of Chinese Taipei, 6-2, 7-6 (2) Monday in the opening day of play in the 18-and-under divisions at the Crandon Park Tennis in Key Biscayne, Fla.

Morita, a 16-year-old who hits with two hands on both sides, had won 11 of her last 12 matches on the International Tennis Federation’s World Junior Circuit, including two wins over Chang. Morita had not lost a set to Chang this year in four prior meetings and becomes the first No. 1 seed here to lose in the opening round since 15-year-old Vania King of Long Beach, Calif., knocked off top-seeded Katerina Bondarenko of the Ukraine two years ago. (King, currently ranked No. 60 on the WTA Tour, made her debut on the U.S. Fed Cup team this year, turned pro and won her first WTA Tour title in Bangkok in the fall.)

With Morita’s quick exit, No. 2 seed Ksenia Milevskaya of Belarus now becomes the favorite. Ranked fourth in the world, the 16-year-old Milevskaya defeated Jamie Hampton of Auburn, Ala., 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 Monday. Milevskaya has already won five tournaments this year on the ITF junior circuit and led her country to the Junior Fed Cup title two months ago.

In the boys’ 18s, No. 2 seed Donald Young easily advanced into the second round with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Dragos Cristian Mirtea of Romania. Young, a 17-year-old left-handed reigning ITF World Junior Champion, played his opening match of Court 16, the most remote field court on the grounds.

“I felt like I did when I was here for the first time when I was 14 (when he won the boys’ 16s title in 2003), playing out here in the far courts,” said Young, who reached the final here in his boys’ 18s debut in 2004. “It’s OK with me. It’s easier to just play out here without the attention.”

Two American wild cards eliminated the No. 6 and 7 seeds Monday after dropping the opening sets. Wil Spencer of Ponce de Leon, Fla., defeated No. 6 Roman Jebavy from the Czech Republic, 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, while Chase Buchanan from Gahanna, Ohio, ousted No. 7 Jose Roberto Velasco of Bolivia, 5-7, 6-2, 6-4."

Thoughts on the results?

J-man
12-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Surprising result with Ayumi Morita. Also good job to the American wildcards. And Young winning not a surprise

SalvadorVeiga
12-12-2006, 05:20 AM
well I hope to hear good news from the portuguese... Specially Michelle Brito and Gastão Elias...
I don't know if you know any of them Michelle is a 12 year old debuting on the 16's girls tournament...according to Bollittieri she is going to be the next big thing on tennis...comparing her to Monica Seles...

Gastao Elias is a 14 year old and he is participating in Grand Slam's etc... he inclusively beat Young this hear in Roland Garros in QF's... I hope to hear great things from both these players ! GO PORTUGAL

goober
12-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Final results

Boys’ 18s
Singles – Final
(4) Petru Alexandru Luncanu, Romania, def. (1) Nicolas Santos, Brazil, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3

Doubles – Final
(3) Daniil Arsenov, Russia, and Roman Jebavy, Czech Republic, def. (4) Fernando Romboli and Santos, Brazil, 6-2, 6-4

Girls’ 18s
Singles – Final
(9) Nikola Hofmanova, Austria, def. (2) Ksenia Milevskaya, Belarus, 7-5, 6-3

Doubles – Final
(2) Sorana-Michaela Cirstea, Romania, and Urszula Radwanska, Poland, def. (1) Sharon Fichman, Canada, and Katerina Vankova, Czech Republic, 6-3, 6-1

Boys’ 16s (Saturday)
Singles – Final
(5) Grigor Dimitrov, Bulgaria, def. David Thurner, Germany, 6-3, 7-6 (7-0)

Doubles – Final
(5) Xavier Spong, Netherlands, and Ilija Vucic, Serbia, def. (8) Gilad Ben Zui, Israel, and Nikolas Moser, Austria, 7-5, 6-0

Girls’ 16s (Saturday)
Singles – Final
(14) Allie Will, Boca Raton, Fla., def. Lauren Embree, Marco Island, Fla., 6-4, 6-1

Doubles – Final
Jessica Alexander, Tyler, Texas, and Embree, def. (4) Gabriela Dabrowski and Brittany Wowchuk, Canada, 6-3, 6-2

Geezer Guy
12-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Did Donald Young get beat, or get injured, or withdraw, or what?

goober
12-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Did Donald Young get beat, or get injured, or withdraw, or what?

Lost in the semis

EasternRocks
08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
i think he lost in the semis to the eventual champ-ion..