PDA

View Full Version : Help, please! I cannot make a freaking decision!

TalkingTennis91
12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey guys. As you may know, I'm an improving 15 year old 4.5 junior player who has a serve and volley game that he likes very much, and has a Semi-Western forehand grip.

Anyway, Christmas is coming up, and I'm definitely switching away from the Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus. It's just too much racquet. Here are the two I've narrowed it down to:

Prince O3 Hybrid Tour

Wilson nCode nSix-One Tour 90

As I said, the serve and volley is becoming quite a weapon for me, so I'll need a racquet that suits that well.

For the past week, I've been playing with an O3 Hybrid Tour demo:

Prince Tour Silver 16 @ 56 lbs.

I like it very much. Still feels a bit powerful though, although serving and volleying with it is oh so nice.

I feel that the nCode Tour 90 would better suit me in the long run, though, as it is a lower powered racquet (please, correct me if I'm wrong on that), and I could string at a bit lower tension, and swing freely through the ball.

A little assistance with this please? Opinions? Comments? Observations?

VERY IMPORTANTLY: How is serving and volleying with the nCode Tour 90?

Thanks so much, everyone!:)

fujitsu77
12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I like the Tour 90 better than the HT (though I don't use either [use a POG OS], but I have tested both out extensively).

The HT just had WAY too much power.

The Tour 90 is good for both serving and volleying and if you were to chose between these two racquets, I would chose this.

(If you really wan't a good S&V racquet though, try out the PS 85)

bad_call
12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
only hit briefly with the 90 so i can't give a fair assessment. so i guess u haven't tried the PS 85? it serves pretty well and volleys superb.

bcsax123
12-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Ncode 90: Serving flat bombs is good in my experience, but I felt it wasn't maneuverable for volleying even though it has a low swing weight.
Hybrid Tour: I think its for heavy topspin only accordig to posters here who say it is uncontrollable.
Have you considered any of the Head Prestige/Radical line? They are great for serveing and volleying, and usedfor all court play.

bad_call
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
wow. fuji posted 1 millisecond before me with the same recommendation. :o

vsbabolat
12-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Wait for the New Ksix-one Tour 90

AJK1
12-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, wait for the new K90

Steve Huff
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Personally, I think you'll be at a disadvantage in your age group. Yes, it might eventually make you a better player--who knows. I'd be more inclined to go with an nCode 6.1 95 with the 18 x 20 pattern. I really liked the 16 x 18 pattern for me, but you probably hit harder than me. Either way, it is one truly fine volleying racket.

TalkingTennis91
12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks, but no thanks on the K line.

Also, I will choose to respectfully decline the Wilson Six-one 95 racquets.

I really think that I will go with the nCode Tour 90.

Please, continue your recommenations though, everyone!

Much appreicated!:)

alu16L
12-05-2006, 08:38 PM
You should consider DNX 10 Mid - its weighs in at 12.0 ounces, has a 93 sq. in. head size. It will give you great ammount of control, more power than n6.1 Tour, and will force you to keep up the racket head speed, because there is no such thing as too much racket head speed. YOu should also consider RDS001 Mid.

Pushmaster
12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Wait for the New Ksix-one Tour 90

I hope that it actually has some feel to it, unlike the Tour and nCode 90.

Bottle Rocket
12-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I must have missed this thread earlier...

03 Hybrid Tour!

Check out my review on it,

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=104082&highlight=03+hybrid+tour+review

In summary;

It is one of the best volleying rackets I have ever played with.. It is great for heavy groundstrokes as well as touch shots. I think it has a great feel to it and is also more comfortable than the Wilsons.

It is also extremely maneuverable, much more so than the nSix-One's.

fujitsu77
12-06-2006, 01:05 PM
wow. fuji posted 1 millisecond before me with the same recommendation. :o

Ha. I beat you to it! :p

I guess it just goes to show how great minds think alike ;)

Tennis Man
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Don't wait for any (K) factors for $250. Get a used n90 for $100 and learn to swing it well. It's the best all-around stick, IMHO.

prostaff18
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Trust me you shouldnt get the 90. If you are bent on a 90 then try the RDS. But really talk to your coach and see what fits your game the best. What would any of us know? We have never seen you play or anything. So talk to your coach and see what he/she thinks.

Borat
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Screw the K factors, FISCHER M-SPEED PRO NO. 1 98!!!!! Very low power and great feel. I like 90-95 square inch raquets, but this 98 feels great. DEMO IT!

Tour 90
12-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Out of those two, the n90. Out of everything I would recommend a dunlop 200g or mfil 200, can't go wrong with the classic style feel and playability.

LarougeNY
12-06-2006, 05:23 PM
im basically in the same position as you bro
i hate the babolat PD+ as much as one can hate a racket, but i decided to take the more logical road and switch to the n61 95
If youre planning on making a team, or staying on the team, a big big racket switch like one from a PD+ to a n61tour can really throw off your game and its likely that you will not be able to recover in time for the season, especially since its already winter.
i would recommend the n61 95, im lovin it, but its your taste and if u like the n61 tour, go for it.
just warning you, the weight and smaller frame and little power are really gonna throw off your game for a while

Borat
12-06-2006, 05:31 PM
im basically in the same position as you bro
i hate the babolat PD+ as much as one can hate a racket, but i decided to take the more logical road and switch to the n61 95
If youre planning on making a team, or staying on the team, a big big racket switch like one from a PD+ to a n61tour can really throw off your game and its likely that you will not be able to recover in time for the season, especially since its already winter.
i would recommend the n61 95, im lovin it, but its your taste and if u like the n61 tour, go for it.
just warning you, the weight and smaller frame and little power are really gonna throw off your game for a while

I was in the same boat as you. YOu should try the Fischer, I think you'd really like it.

topspin_17
12-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Go for a Yonex RDS 001 MP, it has everything to fit a serve and volley game. Serves and groundstrokes are solid, and volleys are oh so crisp. The racket is also super spin friendly, but the downside is that it is kind of stiff (not super stiff like the PD but moderately stiff) and that you have to be good at touch shots to do good drop shots etc. I think it would fit your game; I enjoy playing doubles so I volley a lot so our games are kind of similar, in a way. And I'm not one of those racket endorser dudes like that guy who advertised the tennis balls. I'm only a 13 year old improving junior. I'm just saying that the racket is good.