PDA

View Full Version : POG Mid - can it be strung 2 piece?

Benjamin
03-09-2004, 04:03 AM
Can the POG mid be strung with two piece stringing?

If so, how?

A local stringer said that it can't, or at least it is difficult and not advised...I was just wondering.

Thanks.

Benjamin

Chuck
03-09-2004, 04:22 AM
Ben:
I have always been under the impression that any racquet could be strung two piece. If that's not right maybe someone more knowlegable than I could provide some insight. I mean, how else are you going to be able to use hybrids? I'm sure racquet manufacturers recommend 1 or 2 for their racquets, but if a particular racquet is recommended 1 piece and you string it up 2, are you going to do damage to the frame?

Jerry Seinfeld
03-09-2004, 04:43 AM
Ben,

I think your stringer must have been sniffing too much stencil ink on the day you spoke with him. As Chuck correctly pointed out, any racquet can be strung using a two-piece pattern. In some instances, the grommet strips are not designed to accomodate two strings in each of the tie-off holes, but this can be easily corrected with an awl, a couple of minutes and some care. Just need to stretch out the tie-off holes.

The Prince Graphite Mid as well as all nearly ALL Prince graphite racquets list two-piece patterns in the USRSA Stringer's Digest and on the web site. I am really puzzled by the comment of your stringer. Perhaps he is pre-occupied trying to figure out which bubble teams will make the NCAA tournament. Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. :lol:

Rocky Top
03-09-2004, 05:39 AM
Benjamin-

Jerry is right on; that comment really makes me wonder about your stringer and how long he has been at it. THe only thing I can think of is that he's had a few bad experiences with the awl and has gotten gun shy.

Not to state the obvious, but how could you hybrid a 1-piece job? Many folks (including myself) prefer the even feel of a 2 piece job - you can drop the tension on the long side to match the drop at the SS knot, but it's never quite the same IMO.

I've been stringing my POGs 2 piece forever. Here's the approved pattern for 2 piece stringing:

Tension: 50 - 65 String Lengths: 17'M -17'C Pattern: 14M X 18C Skip holes: 7T - 7B Tie Off M: 5T Start X: 7T Tie Off X: 4T -10B

Take it along when (or if) you head back to your stringer.

Rabbit
03-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Rocky Top - there is a solution for your dilemma. When setting up your racket to string, pull two extra lengths for the short side. Then, when you finish the short side, take the extra string and weave the first two crosses. Tension both and clamp off. Then, using the longside string, weave, tension, and clamp the third cross. Then you can tie the short side off on the third cross. This, in effect, eliminates the tension loss you described. It also means that your tie offs should be on the crosses, where they are supposed to be. There is less tension loss this way becase the crosses are locked in by the friction with the mains.

Anyhow, this has produced consistent results for me and makes for a better looking string job IMO. It is also much easier and less of a headache than doing a two-piece. You may have to use an awl to widen the cross, but a good many frames now have a grommet that is big enough for the cross tie off I described.

Benjamin
03-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the help. I thought there should be a way to do it two piece so I thought that I'd put up a post here. I'm thinking about going with natural gut crosses and Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L in the mains. But last night the complete Luxilon stringing played fabulous so I may just stick with what I got.

Anyway, I e-mailed prince about the two piece stringing and they sent back the following info:

Racquet: Graphite Classic MP (TC093)
Brand: Prince Tennis
Length: 32' (SS;8'6") 2PO
Tension:
Power 53-58lb
Control 59-63lb
Pattern:
14M X 18X
Start M's at throat. M's skip 7H and 7T. No shared holes. Syart X's
at 7H
Tie Offs:
M 5H
X 10T

Thanks again for your help.

Benjamin

Rocky Top
03-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Rabbit - I have a few guys I string for who prefer their frames to be done this way, mainly because they don't want knots on the mains. I've only tried it once on my own frames, and felt like the top of the frame was a little dead (probably psychological, after all the POG isn't just the liveliest thing at the tip). I also used to use a hybrid, so mixing strings on the crosses would have bothered me a bit. Actually though, now that I'm using an all poly setup I think I will experiment a little and give it another go.