PDA

View Full Version : Tony Trabert C-6

LttlElvis
12-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Does anyone have any experience using the Tony Trabert C-6? When I was a kid in the early 80s, this was the most expensive racquet around (about $200 or $300), and it was pretty rare for me to see anyone who had one. Remember, this was a time when most were spending $35 for a Jack Kramer.

I remember reading Consumer Reports (of all magazines) said this and the Prince Graphite were the best racquets ever made. Obviously the POG has withstood the test of time because it is an oversize racquet.

I just won one ($25) on the auction site and am excited to try it out. I think a midsize version of the Trabert C-6 came out for a short time, but that is a very rare racquet.

max
12-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow. I've got some old Tennis magazines, and you're right: it was the cat's pajamas. Let us know how it goes.

altodds
04-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Its the first graphite racket I saw and my Dad got it soon, But never saw the midsize.
My dad gave me the other famous graphite racket, it was Cannon by Aldila

Rabbit
04-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Count me in. I always wanted one, but there was no way my folks were springing for $200.

Well, I own one now. It is, without a doubt, the stiffest frame I have ever hit with. It's like playing with a piece of hardened steel. I'm very particular about my arm and hit about three balls with it.

I do love the graphics on it though.

There is a guy around here who will only play with them. He buys them whenever he can find them because he wears them out.

max
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
I remember the ads, too. This should develop into an interesting thread.

Kirko
04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
the pro shop I go to has one n the "big bin" of rackets people have no use for. very excellent shape for its age.

swedechris
04-22-2008, 03:44 PM
i had that one and the durafibre graphite.. the c-6 was quite good.. very hard / stiff but staedy as arock .. also had the luck of having my folks pick up the cannon from aldila.. that was a nice looking racket , with a superb leather grip.. calfskin with suerp good tacky finish .. like balmforth fairway but better..but i prefered the c-6 ..4 sure.. another early graphite racket was the montana powerplay graphite.. they made one in 100% fiberglass and then one after that that seemed to be a blend as it still was quite flexy..
wow, those were the days ..

Rabbit
04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
^to further your thought, I can't imagine anyone making the jump from a wood frame to a C-6. Talk about shock! To go from something that probably has an RA in the 30s - 40s maybe to the C-6....

But, plenty of folks did it. There were a couple of guys on the team that played with those things...