PDA

View Full Version : Drakulie is so right!...check out my Volkl DNX 10mid

amx13
12-06-2006, 08:27 AM
A word of caution for anyone thinking about buying a Volkl frame... check out the "small paintjob defect" (as described by the seller) on my DNX 10 mid:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/amx13/Imagen001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/amx13/Imagen003.jpg

I only played 3 or 4 games with my new frame and notice a small bump above the grommets in the bottom of the head, it looks like the paintjob had a "bubble" that popped up out of nowhere. Since the frame its not broken, there is no guarantee for it, there has to be a structural damage so they can replace it (or so they guy on the store told me, I doubt they will replace it regardless of what damage it has, they would probably say its my fault anyway). So Im stuck with this piece of crap. I just feel cheated by Volkl and their lack of quality.
Drakulie, can I join the "Hate the volkls" club? :mad: , I will never ever buy another item made by Volkl... and I will certainly will not buy anything from the store I got this piece of crap from... Should I take this to the "rants and raves" section?

bad_call
12-06-2006, 08:34 AM
oh wow it looks really bad. i'll take it off ur hands so u aren't reminded of the thing. :wink: just kidding unless u really hate the racquet.

julianoz
12-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Ive never had a defect with a volkl and they all have been hi quality.

And from what you are saying, the only problem with it is the paint chip, and you bought it knowing there is a visual defect. What are you complaining about?

And how does a paint chip turn a racket into a "piece of crap" ? You bought it, I will assume you hit with it before. If you arent happy with it, be angry at yourself for your lack of judgement.

Tennis Man
12-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I think this is TOO radical. Any tennis racquet can have a defect. After all, they are still made by a human hand, mano a mano. I've seen paint defects on Wilsons, Head and even Yonex. It is just paint and you should hate a company just b/c of a small paint bubble. BTW, where is it made anyway?

NoBadMojo
12-06-2006, 08:52 AM
lol....well i will say those are high quality pictures...very likely that frame took quite an abusive bang to chip the finish like that...also interesting to note that the frame seems to have been strung without the lower grommets in place which is near to the damage, as you can see how the strings have sawed at the frame material. It really is pretty amazing the things people do to tennis racquets and then blame it on manufacturer defect.

Davai
12-06-2006, 08:57 AM
lol....well i will say those are high quality pictures...very likely that frame took quite an abusive bang to chip the finish like that...also interesting to note that the frame seems to have been strung without the lower grommets in place which is near to the damage, as you can see how the strings have sawed at the frame material. It really is pretty amazing the things people do to tennis racquets and then blame it on manufacturer defect.

I don't see where the strings sawed through the frame material?
For the OP, don't the pictures just show a paint chip?

Kevo
12-06-2006, 08:58 AM
No way that was strung without the throat grommets. I'd guess they were removed for the examination of the egregious defect. ;-)

amx13
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
And from what you are saying, the only problem with it is the paint chip, and you bought it knowing there is a visual defect. What are you complaining about?

And how does a paint chip turn a racket into a "piece of crap" ? You bought it, I will assume you hit with it before. If you arent happy with it, be angry at yourself for your lack of judgement.

Thats not the case, I bought a new racquet, paid for it as a new racquet and got it delivered by mail, so theres no way for me to see the defect before I got it, and I did not notice the defect at first, only after I had already played with it, so there was no choice for me to return it (Since I had already use it. I had some issues with the way it plays, but thats not the point. Sadly thereīs no "demo" program" here in Mexico, so I bought the racquet based on specs, If the racquet dont suit my game thats my problem, and Im not complaining about that. But since I paid over $210 for the frame, I expect a small amount of quality, not one that will start leaving pieces of paint on the court with each heavy hit.
I guess you are right, its only a visual problem, and I think I could still play with it, at least until all the gold paint is gone and the frame is all black, then I can searching on "how to get a racquet paintjob", haha.

amx13
12-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention... the racquet was strung with all the grommets on, and the paint come off with the all the grommets on, I remove the lower grommet to see if there was any structural damage on the frame, and to get a better shot of the paintchip.

vkartikv
12-06-2006, 09:58 AM
If you don't want it, let me know. I run a foster home for abused racquets.

sureshs
12-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Thats not the case, I bought a new racquet, paid for it as a new racquet and got it delivered by mail, so theres no way for me to see the defect before I got it, and I did not notice the defect at first, only after I had already played with it, so there was no choice for me to return it

Then why did you say the "seller" told you about a "paint job defect"? Later you mention a store. Who is the "seller"? The store owner? Did you agree to purchase this because you were offered a discount or something? Why didn't you just go to the store to pick it up? If the store is not near you, who told you about this defect?

Ripper
12-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I think you didn't like how it played or the chip wouldn't have mattered that much ;)

carrwash13
12-06-2006, 10:21 AM
paint chip = piece of crap?...wow....I guess I have to get rid of all my rackets

drakulie
12-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Great thread!

The paint chip wouldn't really bother me as long as it is contained to that one small area. But I agree, it would be hard to be certain if there was something wrong with the frame underneath. Being that it is a brand new racquet it should not have any deffects, and for that reason alone, Volkl or the seller should replace it.

What would bother me are the two small chips in the grommet holes. It looks like they were either chipped or sawed. This alone would cause me to demand a replacement.

sureshs
12-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Great thread!

The paint chip wouldn't really bother me as long as it is contained to that one small area. But I agree, it would be hard to be certain if there was something wrong with the frame underneath. Being that it is a brand new racquet it should not have any deffects, and for that reason alone, Volkl or the seller should replace it.

What would bother me are the two small chips in the grommet holes. It looks like they were either chipped or sawed. This alone would cause me to demand a replacement.

I would agree, except he was told about the defect (which he later seems to deny). You can get such products everywhere, even in reputable stores, and there is usually a markdown. Sometimes, I have been told that this piece is the last one, and if you want it now, you have to take it as it is. Then, I have bargained to get 10% off, but it doesn't always work.

Bottomline is how much info did he have prior to the purchase? If he knew it had a problem, then asking for a replacement now is just an attempt to scam the seller of manufacturer, and they should refuse to refund or exchange.

NoBadMojo
12-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't see where the strings sawed through the frame material?
For the OP, don't the pictures just show a paint chip?

No way that was strung without the throat grommets. I'd guess they were removed for the examination of the egregious defect. ;-)

look again...if you still cant see, i dont know what to say. seems logical to me that if the frame shows evidence that two string holes have been elongated and that there are no grommets in place at those locations, that something is rotten in Denmark (where did that expression come from?). i suppose something else could have caused damage that looks like string hole elongation <maybe some object was somehow stuck in there elongating the string holes>. i cant say with 100% certainty because i wasnt there. surely you wouldnt disagree that the grommets are there to keep things like string holes from elongating and sawing into the frame like what seems to have happened here. unless of course this frame is also defective at two locations resembling string friction elongation.

in any case, for someone to buy a single racquet which the seller advised was damaged/defective and then to declare all racquets bad from a manufacturer isnt really a discussion i dont think. no offense to the poster.

ThePlungerMan
12-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Uh oh, my 7th Volkl is expected to arrive today, maybe I can deny delivery and start playing what Drake plays.

P.S. JK. I love my Volklís

amx13
12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Then why did you say the "seller" told you about a "paint job defect"? Later you mention a store. Who is the "seller"? The store owner? Did you agree to purchase this because you were offered a discount or something? Why didn't you just go to the store to pick it up? If the store is not near you, who told you about this defect?

Maybe I didnt explain myself. I bought this racquet from and online store here in Mexico. In the city I live there`s no tennis stores, so I got this racquet along with a new gamma net and a cople of items more from this store, wich is a 12 hour ride from where I live, so no way to pick it up at the store. When I noticed the chiped paint after a couples of games with this racquet, I e-mailed the seller (the store owner) and sent him the same pics you see here. He told me I should not worry, that the frame was guaranteed, but when I reply him asking him if I should send the racquet, he told me that I should send it "only if the frame was broken". I did not get a disscount or special price, I got the retail price here in Mexico for that frame (over $210 USD). Nobody told me about the defect, I only noticed after the paint started to fall

Duzza
12-06-2006, 11:18 AM
But you said the seller described it like that. You know fully that it would have that chip. You can't complain mate, Volkl are high quality and good.

federermcenroeagassi
12-06-2006, 11:27 AM
But you said the seller described it like that. You know fully that it would have that chip. You can't complain mate, Volkl are high quality and good.

i think your rite

Richie Rich
12-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe I didnt explain myself. I bought this racquet from and online store here in Mexico. In the city I live there`s no tennis stores, so I got this racquet along with a new gamma net and a cople of items more from this store, wich is a 12 hour ride from where I live, so no way to pick it up at the store. When I noticed the chiped paint after a couples of games with this racquet, I e-mailed the seller (the store owner) and sent him the same pics you see here. He told me I should not worry, that the frame was guaranteed, but when I reply him asking him if I should send the racquet, he told me that I should send it "only if the frame was broken". I did not get a disscount or special price, I got the retail price here in Mexico for that frame (over $210 USD). Nobody told me about the defect, I only noticed after the paint started to fall

then your issue is with the seller, not volkl. i doubt that a paint chip that size makes it through QC (even Wilsons) :mrgreen:

how do you know someone at the store didn't chip it first and now they are blaming it on you?

sureshs
12-06-2006, 12:13 PM

No,no that is what I thought he said. He has clarified now that the seller agreed about the chip only after OP noticed it and contacted him.

The seller should then replace the racquet.

amx13
12-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Im sorry, I think my bad english betrayed me. I ment that only after I sent the seller the pics, he reply back to me and described the damage as a "small paintjob defect". He described like that after I purchased it, not before. I didnt knew the racquet had this problem, and to be honest, I dont think the seller knew about that either. When I got it it look normal, after a few games the paint started to fall, and I notice the "bubble" under the paint.
I would have no problems with the racquet if the paint had been chipped of from reaching for a low ball or something, or if I had smash it in to the ground and therefore had a damage like this, that way it would be my fault and I would not complain at all. The thing I dont like its that this is supposed to be a new frame and I paid for it that way.
I guess my main complain should not be with the brand (Im sure most of their frames are not like this, and actually I liked the way it plays, of all the racquet I`ve played with, I will only rate my PS 85 and RDS 001 above this one) but with the seller. If I had sold a racquet like this, I would have replace it and leave the damaged one as a demo or something. How about this racquet had been sold by TW, would they had replace it?

ThePlungerMan
12-06-2006, 01:54 PM
The worlds not perfect. In the grand scheme of things, whatís a little chip? Nothing right. Latter on in life, are you going to point to the chipped racket as a defining moment. No. Use it as a motive to help you concentrate on whatís really important. And the next time you order a racket you can ask the seller to make sure itís clean all around. Or order from TW. There awesome. You can ask them to spec the racket and keep those #ís on record so when you want to replace it you can have them match the specs. Itís a tiny little chip and yes I hear you, but think of it as a lesson, an opportunity, to, again, concentrate on whatís important. My experience here, often, when I a big deal out of a small deal, I get involved in other deals that make me worse off in the long run.

federer_nadal
12-06-2006, 02:09 PM
My POG came with a little paint bubble, POGs are the crappiest racquets on the market!!!!11!1

Its not structual, its in a place where it can barely be noticed and the scratch is no more than what you would get if you dug out a low ball. You obviously didnt like the racquet and are here putting a good brand down, just so you can 1) get attention 2) trying to be cool and agree with Drakulie and the "hate volkl" crowd.

Also it is just a paint chip.

amx13
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
My POG came with a little paint bubble, POGs are the crappiest racquets on the market!!!!11!1

Its not structual, its in a place where it can barely be noticed and the scratch is no more than what you would get if you dug out a low ball. You obviously didnt like the racquet and are here putting a good brand down, just so you can 1) get attention 2) trying to be cool and agree with Drakulie and the "hate volkl" crowd.

Well, not at all. I did like the racquet in a way, I find it to be less stressful to my elbow than the PS 85 I was playing with, and it was better than the LM Radical, Tour Diablo MP or Flexpoint Prestige MP I tried before this one, but I had a hard time figuring out how to control the ball, since sometimes I hit good shots than sailed long, and some time hit awful shots that went on to be winners, but thats not the point. I wasnt trying to put any brand down, but maybe I was venting too much...sorry about that. Maybe if more people had told me "dont worry, I bought X raquet and the paintjob also started to fall apart with the first hit" I would not felt as cheated as I do now. Anyway, Im not trying to get attention, even though I try to be cool sometimes, haha.
You are right though, its not an structural damage, but I wonder whatīs the worst thing It can happen if I keep playing with it. (I mean, maybe it is an structural damage and the paintchip its the first sign of a broken frame, I have no idea).
But like ThePlungerMan said, its not the end of the world, fortunatly I have some other frames to play with, and from now on I will double-check on any new racquet I get, to avoid this thing from happening again.

fujitsu77
12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
does the bump affect the play of the racquet? otherwise, why does it matter so much?

fujitsu77
12-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Hey, YOU are putting the POG down!! The GREATEST racquet, period!!!! :mad: ;)

The racquet is really one of the best. Actually, I have never before seen one who thinks that the POGs are that bad! Just wondering, why didn't you like it?

Voltron
12-06-2006, 03:33 PM
I think this is TOO radical. Any tennis racquet can have a defect. After all, they are still made by a human hand, mano a mano. I've seen paint defects on Wilsons, Head and even Yonex. It is just paint and you should hate a company just b/c of a small paint bubble. BTW, where is it made anyway?

YONEX, how dare you!?! J/K, that looks really bad though.

OrangeOne
12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
YONEX, how dare you!?! J/K, that looks really bad though.

Uggh - it's a scratch, a chip, a mark!

For people to care about that, you must be playing on marshmallow courts with fences made of ballons and hitting balls made of air.

Honestly - any serious player will slowly put wear into their racquet - chips or scrapes equivalent to that will happen soon enough.

Tour 90
12-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Calm down, you think Volkl sucks because your racquet is missing a square centimeter of paint which will be half covered by the bottom grommets. Now you are going to think that it plays poorely because that is what you want to happen. If you really hate it, give it to me and I will give it to vkartikv and he will enjoy it.

bad_call
12-06-2006, 05:40 PM
...of all the racquet I`ve played with, I will only rate my PS 85 and RDS 001 above this one...

ok. i'm sold. gotta put a Volkl under the tree for me. :-D