PDA

View Full Version : I Just Recieved My Dunlop Aerogel 200!

mileslong
12-06-2006, 11:28 AM
i have a meeting to get to but will post pictures later today if anyone wants to see them and i'm going to schedule a hitting session with it later. i have to determine if im going to use it in my big match tomorrow night or stay with my redondo MP.

the weird thing is that it came strung with dunlop tour performance 16 gauge string in it. i only use 17 gauge especially since all my rackets have an 18X20 pattern. i hate to cut it out but i already know i wont like it. its a cheap string and this frame isnt made for a 16 gauge in my opinion.

my dunlop aerogel bag has been ordered as well :)

Chauvalito
12-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Mileslong,
please post some pics if you have time later on. Also, did you order the racket from another country?

Thanks

Chauvalito
12-06-2006, 11:37 AM
The lighter aerogel 200 is very appealing especiall with the 95 square in ch head. Its just to bad they wont release it in the states. It seems like the perfect transition racket between the 18x20 200 and the aerogel 300...

The 100 also looks quite suite. If I remember correctly, when i converted the weight from grams to oz. it came out to be 11.6 or so. to me that weight leaves a lot of room for customizing balance and weight, unlike other 90 inch frames...just some thoughts.

Look forward to the pics...

headfan91
12-06-2006, 11:41 AM
yes pics would be nice, also do you mind writing a review on how it felt compared to the m-fil 200, if you have played with that frame as well.
thanks

mileslong
12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
i will absolutely post pics later on tonight and i will write a review as well. i ordered this stick from europe. the aerogel 100 wont be available in england
by the way, i talked to the distributor. i want to find out where the 100's will be available im guessing maybe germany and australia. i havent found out yet about the 200 16X19 aerogel but im investigating it right now. i just wish they would make the 16X19 with the same weight as the 18X20. i dont like light rackets and i know i could lead it up but it never seems to work out for me doing that. the dunlop 200 line has always been the perfect weight for me, i have never felt compelled to add any lead to any of their frames regardless of the generation.

i just left it at my club to be restrung with vs gut mains 17 gauge and excel 17 crosses. they were out of most of the 17 gauge but this should be a nice comfortable setup with plenty of available pop. i wanted to try some lux in the crosses but they were out. this setup should feel like butter however. im wondering if its going to feel more like my mfil 200 or my mw200. i cant wait to hit it.

as far as looks, i love that they added the dunlop in black and white on the hoop like my beloved mw200g but it has a blue stock like the mfil with white and light blue added at the top and bottom of the hoop. it kind of creates an optical illusion which i believe has led some on here to believe that the hoop was more square than the typcial dunlop oval. the shape isnt different it just makes it look that way because of the way its painted. it makes the hoop look bigger than it is as well due to this optical illusion.

i dont like the white personally, i dont like white on my tennis rackets at all but if it plays great like my other dunlops and hopefully a little better then i will be ordering the 100 and the 200 16X19 as soon as i can track them down. i was one of the first people in this country to get the babolat aeropro control racket, i will even bribe people sometimes to ship to places that they dont ship to, im kind of obsessed to be the first one to get a new racket when they come out. craig clark beat me to the k series wilson but im not really a wilson guy. :) more later...i have a business to run :)

federermcenroeagassi
12-06-2006, 01:08 PM
be sure to compare to redondo : D

Chauvalito
12-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Mileslong,
If you find out info. for the 100 and the 16x19 200, please post about. I, as well as other i', sure are also interested in those rackets. Distribution info. would be greatly appreciated on my part concerning those 2 rackets. Thanks, and hope you enjoy the first hit.

Redflea
12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Who'd you order it from, and was it difficult to get it shipped to the US before it has been released here?

WhiteSox05CA
12-06-2006, 02:06 PM
i have a meeting to get to but will post pictures later today if anyone wants to see them and i'm going to schedule a hitting session with it later. i have to determine if im going to use it in my big match tomorrow night or stay with my redondo MP.

the weird thing is that it came strung with dunlop tour performance 16 gauge string in it. i only use 17 gauge especially since all my rackets have an 18X20 pattern. i hate to cut it out but i already know i wont like it. its a cheap string and this frame isnt made for a 16 gauge in my opinion.

my dunlop aerogel bag has been ordered as well :)

How'd you get your hands on it? It's already released in Europe? I want some connections!:sad:

pNoyr3D
12-06-2006, 02:07 PM
RedFlea.. I believe she got it from p w p . com!! I was just on that site and saw it.. Their pretty pricey, I believe around $170...

0d1n
12-06-2006, 02:14 PM
That's just the cost of tennis rackets in the UK (and most of Europe...). They are actually roughly 40 pounds cheaper than a Wilson, Head, Volkl, Fischer from the same category.

mileslong
12-06-2006, 02:40 PM
RedFlea.. I believe she got it from p w p . com!! I was just on that site and saw it.. Their pretty pricey, I believe around $170...
well first of all im a male, and secondly i did get it from ***, the wimbledon store is the only one that has it now i believe. it is pricey and the shipping is high, the shipping for my dunlop aerogel bag will almost cost almost as much as the bag itself. i know its stupid to pay that but so what, if it makes me happy then its worth it, and you only live once people, steal happiness in as many ways, levels and times as you can...

bertrevert
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I'll certainly post if the 100 comes out in Australia. The Sydney Dunlop rep was apparently very dismissive of any early release here - of any of the new racquets - complaining that they want to shift stock of the existing m-Fil line beforehand. I don't imagine they couild hold back or delay once the Aus Open is happening, but maybe they'll try.

So the distinctive Dunlop hoop remains - that's a good thing.

There is a staged release to these racquets and the 16x19 is apparently in the second phase. I too am looking out for that one and hope that it is an improvement on the m-Fil 200 2006

Redflea
12-06-2006, 03:10 PM
well first of all im a male, and secondly i did get it from ***, the wimbledon store is the only one that has it now i believe. it is pricey and the shipping is high, the shipping for my dunlop aerogel bag will almost cost almost as much as the bag itself. i know its stupid to pay that but so what, if it makes me happy then its worth it, and you only live once people, steal happiness in as many ways, levels and times as you can...

I figured mileslong had to be a guy... ;)

Thanks, just went there and saw it. Hmmm...I'm tempted, actually, to get the new 300 rather than waiting until Feb of next year. Got some bonus money to waste

What was the shipping cost, and how long did delivery take? If I could get it before xmas, I might just go for it.

Racketdesign
12-06-2006, 03:11 PM
http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/photo/aerogel.html

looks like the perfect material to make racquets from. Im always looking for ways to stop my crayons melting.

mileslong
12-06-2006, 03:30 PM
What was the shipping cost, and how long did delivery take?

below is the cost for the shipping, it took about 3 days to arrive to california.

Postage: Parceline 3-5 days
>> Payment: Visa
>> Text No:
>> Code Item Colour Size Quantity Price Total
>> 7464 Dunlop - Aerogel 200
>> N/A 3 1 £76.59 £76.59
>> Postage £28.99

oh and i just found out that my dunlop bag won't available before christmas :(

Redflea
12-06-2006, 05:05 PM
below is the cost for the shipping, it took about 3 days to arrive to california.

Postage: Parceline 3-5 days
>> Payment: Visa
>> Text No:
>> Code Item Colour Size Quantity Price Total
>> 7464 Dunlop - Aerogel 200
>> N/A 3 1 £76.59 £76.59
>> Postage £28.99

oh and i just found out that my dunlop bag won't available before christmas :(

Hmmm...$60 shipping...hmmm....tempted, tempted. How irresponsible can I be? ;)

Were there other shipping options that weren't so expensive that would get it here within a couple of weeks? (Sorry for the dribble of questions...) :)

LarougeNY
12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
so where are the pics and the review?

actually i think the pics are more important
reviews are only one's feel with the racket, you have to go out and try it yourself

Borat
12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
About a month or two ago I saw a guy with an Aerogel 200 and an aerogel 300 in his bag. the grips were already somewhat worn. How could he have gotten those? I was going to ask him about them but I didnt have the chance to.

Carl Roude
12-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I'll be interested as to how it compares to the old MW200g 95 (which I still currently sue). Is it true that the Aerogel has the same thinner throat like the MW200g?

mileslong
12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
im leaving my office right now to go to the club to pick up my racket, i dont know if i can get someone to hit this late in the day, even the ball machine is already taken, i might be resigned to hitting against a wall tonight which is nothing to base a review on. i play tomorrow night in my singles league where i have worked my way up from court 20 to center court. i lost two weeks ago on center court but then won again last week on court two to move back to center and hopefully a rematch with the pusher supreme who went undefeated in the last league.

im scared to play him (assuming he won last week) with a racket i have never played with before. i doubt that it will play that much different than my other dunlops but we will see. i will take the photos tonight and get them posted, im in cali though so it might be late for a lot of you. i will also give some initial impressions about the wall hit, i will also hit my MW200g, HM200G and Mfil200 tonight in succession along with the new aerogel and some intial feel impressions. i wont know how it plays until i match test it ot at least a good hitting session. i will probably use it in the first set tomorrow night and fall back to the redondo or the MW if i lose the first set...

tennis4losers
12-06-2006, 06:03 PM
i look forward to your review and pics miles

Tour 90
12-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I really want to get some of the 100's. They seem awesome because of the 90 in and the light weight for customizing. Eager to hear about the 200's as well since i got the mfil and 200g ones.

pNoyr3D
12-06-2006, 07:04 PM
i look forward to your review and pics miles

Yep, I do too :)...

The racquet I am most looking forward to would probably be the 300 and possibly the 200. I really hope the 300 plays almost identical to the M-Fil 300.

VGP
12-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Yep, I do too :)...

The racquet I am most looking forward to would probably be the 300 and possibly the 200. I really hope the 300 plays almost identical to the M-Fil 300.

Do you hope this because you don't want to buy the new ones, or because you'll still get your desired playability from the new ones?

If it plays identically, then you shouldn't need to buy the Aerogel 300.....

Noveson
12-06-2006, 07:11 PM
im leaving my office right now to go to the club to pick up my racket, i dont know if i can get someone to hit this late in the day, even the ball machine is already taken, i might be resigned to hitting against a wall tonight which is nothing to base a review on. i play tomorrow night in my singles league where i have worked my way up from court 20 to center court. i lost two weeks ago on center court but then won again last week on court two to move back to center and hopefully a rematch with the pusher supreme who went undefeated in the last league.

im scared to play him (assuming he won last week) with a racket i have never played with before. i doubt that it will play that much different than my other dunlops but we will see. i will take the photos tonight and get them posted, im in cali though so it might be late for a lot of you. i will also give some initial impressions about the wall hit, i will also hit my MW200g, HM200G and Mfil200 tonight in succession along with the new aerogel and some intial feel impressions. i wont know how it plays until i match test it ot at least a good hitting session. i will probably use it in the first set tomorrow night and fall back to the redondo or the MW if i lose the first set...

That was two hours ago....I'm thinking it is around tonight right now:D I want to see these pictures lol.

federermcenroeagassi
12-06-2006, 07:12 PM

seriously, he'd be plane stupid

VGP
12-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Yup.....you might as well then stock up on the mFil 300s now at the discount prices.

fielders_80
12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Get it Redflea.... do it!! I would, but the shipping to Indonesia would probably be costly, but what the heck....

Hmmm...$60 shipping...hmmm....tempted, tempted. How irresponsible can I be? ;)

Were there other shipping options that weren't so expensive that would get it here within a couple of weeks? (Sorry for the dribble of questions...) :)

pNoyr3D
12-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Do you hope this because you don't want to buy the new ones, or because you'll still get your desired playability from the new ones?

Well.. The Aerogel 300 I am thinking of buying is the 16 x 18 version. The M-Fil 300's are 16 x 19 and am really curious on how the 16 x 18 plays. I probably won't be buying one for a long time because the price of these are too high for my budget.

That's kinda mean :(.. Lol.

Yup.....you might as well then stock up on the mFil 300s now at the discount prices.

Yeah I am really thinking of doing that just because the price of the Aerogels are high and I am currently loving my M-Fil's.

SC Tennis Player
12-06-2006, 08:34 PM
For what it's worth, I played doubles a couple of days ago with a guy that was trying out the Aerogel 200 for the first time. (I'm in Greenville and yes there are several of the new Aerogels "floating" around here.) Up until about a year ago he had used the original 300g. He said he switched to an O3 Tour because he couldn't generate much topspin with the 300g. He tried the mFil-300 but had similar results. (This guy has a big time power game). During and after the match he had nothing but praise for the 200. His assessment was that the balance was more head-light than the m-Fil 200, and racquet could generate the topspin that the 300's were couldn't.

SC Tennis Player

bertrevert
12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
The 300g was evenly balanced but it was more a platform for adding lead. At least I think everyone would want to have customised it. I did. And still have it. But you end up adding so much lead it feels too flexy.

But you opponent wasn't comparing apples when he compared the 300 lineage to the 200.

But to have got enhanced topspin out of the 200 compared to the earlier 300 line seems counter-intuitive (the 300 having the bigger head and more open string pattern) so that must be high praise indeed for these new 200 areogels.

Redflea
12-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Get it Redflea.... do it!! I would, but the shipping to Indonesia would probably be costly, but what the heck....

:D You sir, are what's known as an enabler.

I promised myself a spurious toy or two for xmas, and this is about as spurious as it gets...ordering a racquet from England just to have it four or five weeks before they go on sale here...that's just plain silly.

But heck, if I still like my MF3s better, I'll just sell the new Aerogel to some lucky duck in January who will also enjoy getting it early. That's good karma, right? ;)

mileslong
12-06-2006, 09:58 PM
well guys, the night didnt pan out for me like i wanted. when the racket arrived i had to dash out to a meeting, but before i left i snapped a pic of the box and the racket one the ground. i ran and dropped it off at my club to get restrung then i was going to pick it up later, hit with it and take photos tonight and report on here. well here's what happened.

after i left my office i got to the club around 7:00pm and the dang thing was still sitting there behind the counter and it hadnt even been looked at yet. they promised me it would be done tonight! i was ****ed so i told the guy to give me racket so i could hit with it against the wall courts there. it has this really crappy dunlop tour performance 16 gauge string it but i wanted to hit it anyway just to get an idea.

first of all you cant tell anything about a rackets performance by hitting it against the wall. you cant tell spin, the way it serves, volleys, depth of shot or anything really except if it feels good hitting it or not. this one does feel great. even with this crappy string it feels rock solid, no vibration, classic dunlop feel. it feels better than the mfil and HM in my opinion. its like the MW but a little stiffer and crisp. it kind of like the difference between the volkl c10 and the dnx 10. maybe a little stiffer hoop accounts for this slight difference in feel. im hoping that this slight change will result in a better serving stick which is my only gripe with the great MW.

one thing i could tell is that i can hit a nice low backhand slice with this stick, it was like money, i could cut the legs off of the ball at will and send it about 2 inches above the net line everytime, thats a very good sign. that shot is the reason i left my pure control. i cant wait to really test it and write a proper review. im playing with it tomorrow night in a big match for me. it felt good enough for me to give it a test run in a real match.

i dont know if any of you here are old enough to have played baseball with a wooden bat or not but thats what this feels like when you hit the sweetspot or close to it. you don't really feel it, it just feels solid, the ball just pockets and explodes off the strings. the feel is pretty muted just like a dunlop and very solid. im very excited about this stick but i will wait until after my match tomorrow before i start singing its praises.

anyway here are the two lame pics i took before i had to rush out. i will take a lot of proper photos tomorrow and post them here along with my post match report :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/DSC04410.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/DSC04408.jpg

VGP
12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks mileslong, keep it up!

I'll tune in tomorrow.

BTW....can you "see" the Aerogel anywhere?

Redflea
12-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Beaut!

Hey - Mileslong, I'm poised to order, but wanted to confirm. Did you have any US import taxes on top of the purchase/shipping costs from the vendor?

bertrevert
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
What model will you order? Will you stay with the 300 line or go the 200?

Redflea
12-06-2006, 11:53 PM
What model will you order? Will you stay with the 300 line or go the 200?

300...I moved from my RDX 500 Mids to the M-Fil 300 a few weeks back, and am going to stay w/a 98. I'm getting uncomfortably close to 50, and surprisingly I have found that the general trend is that I am not getting faster/stronger and my eyesight isn't getting better... ;)

fielders_80
12-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Not tempted to try the 500 Tour? You might like it, you never know.
While you are at it, give the 400 a shot as well......

300...I moved from my RDX 500 Mids to the M-Fil 300 a few weeks back, and am going to stay w/a 98. I'm getting uncomfortably close to 50, and surprisingly I have found that the general trend is that I am not getting faster/stronger and my eyesight isn't getting better... ;)

mileslong
12-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey - Mileslong, I'm poised to order, but wanted to confirm. Did you have any US import taxes on top of the purchase/shipping costs from the vendor?
the total charges including shipping were $208.87 plus a separate $6.27 charge from my bank for an international currency conversion charge...

Redflea
12-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Not tempted to try the 500 Tour? You might like it, you never know.
While you are at it, give the 400 a shot as well......

No no! Bad fielders, bad!

;)

Redflea
12-07-2006, 08:28 AM
the total charges including shipping were $208.87 plus a separate $6.27 charge from my bank for an international currency conversion charge...

Thanks, mileslong...appreciate it.

sureshs
12-07-2006, 09:05 AM
http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/photo/aerogel.html

looks like the perfect material to make racquets from. Im always looking for ways to stop my crayons melting.

I will believe it when someone finds out exactly how much aerogel is in the racquet and whether that amount makes any difference when compared to the graphite and resin. Also, even if a 2 g piece of aerogel supports a 2.5 kg brick as shown in the pics, you will always choose the brick to hit someone on the head (don't do it though). A racquet needs mass to plough thru the ball.

Wikipedia page on aerogel lists a lot of uses, but none relating to strength. Mainly electrical and optical properties. Seems irrelevant to a racquet and smells of another marketing gimmick.

Redflea
12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Ordered the Aerogel 300...should arrive next week, based on mileslong's experience.

Silliest thing I've ever done, racquet-wise, but heck, it's almost Christmas and I'm sure Santa would want me to have it. :D

Forgot to mention...thanks for your help/info on this, Mileslong.

Carl Roude
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Mileslong - does it have the thinner throat like the MW?

pNoyr3D
12-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Sweet pics miles! Can't wait to see non-blurry pics :). The racquet look's sexii though and seems like you had a great time playing with it!

I will be back in 3 hours to check back and see if the pictures are up!! They better be here.. Or else!! Lol.

mileslong
12-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Mileslong - does it have the thinner throat like the MW?

well here are the actual specs for each of these rackets, i havent measured the throat but it definately looks every but as thin to me by my eyeball test. in fact after reviewing the specs its actually thinner than the MW.

Muscle Weave 200G 95"

Length 27 inches 69 centimeters
Head Size 95 square inches 613 square centimeters
Weight 12 ounces 340 grams
Balance Point 12.625 inches 32 centimeters 7pts Head Light
Shaft Width 21mm Straight Beam
Composition 3-D Graphite & Muscle Weave
Flex Rating 59
Swing Weight 315

Aerogel 200 18X20 (these are from the site, i dont have the racket with me right now to read what it says on it.)

Length: 27 inches 69 centimeters
Head Size: 95 Square Inches 613 square centimeters
Weight: 11.9 ounces 337.5 grams (strung)
Balance Point: 12.598 inches 31.998 cm (dont know how headlight that is, 7pts?)
Shaft Width: 20mm
Compostion : Carbon S-Fibre/Magnesium 3D Braided Graphite
Flex Rating: 63
Swing Weight: ?

I will be back in 3 hours to check back and see if the pictures are up!! They better be here.. Or else!! Lol.
lol, my match isnt until 7:30pm tonight pacific time. i will get home about 6:00pm and try and post some pics, i better do it before the match so in case this dweeb/pusher beats me again and i smash my new aerogel to pieces...although if i took pics of my smashed racket they would be pretty damn funny...

robkat
12-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Ordered the Aerogel 300...should arrive next week, based on mileslong's experience.

Silliest thing I've ever done, racquet-wise, but heck, it's almost Christmas and I'm sure Santa would want me to have it. :D

Forgot to mention...thanks for your help/info on this, Mileslong.

Redflea.. did you order the 16X19 or 16x18 Aerogel 300. Looking at that particular web retailer, I could not tell which string pattern it is..Thanks

Redflea
12-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I couldn't tell for sure either, but it looks more like the 16x19, if the image means anything. A guess at best.

robkat
12-07-2006, 12:19 PM
That is what I was guessing too.. thanks

federermcenroeagassi
12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
That's kinda mean :(.. Lol.

no harm meant, sorry. but i think you understand wat we mean

pNoyr3D
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah haha I was jokin' around.. It's all good.
--------------
lol, my match isnt until 7:30pm tonight pacific time. i will get home about 6:00pm and try and post some pics, i better do it before the match so in case this dweeb beats me again and i smash my new aerogel to pieces...although if i took pics of my smashed racket they would be pretty damn funny...

Haha yeah I was joking around. It's cool get your pics up anytime you can, I'm in no rush :D.

Good luck in your match! Beat that dweeb and keep your Aerogel in tip top shape!

Rafa's best friend
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
What are the swingweight of these frames ???

Redflea
12-07-2006, 08:22 PM
lol, my match isnt until 7:30pm tonight pacific time. i will get home about 6:00pm and try and post some pics, i better do it before the match so in case this dweeb/pusher beats me again and i smash my new aerogel to pieces...although if i took pics of my smashed racket they would be pretty damn funny...

You've got a lot of nerve having a life outside of meeting our needs... ;)

Now that I've ordered my 300 I'm bummed I didn't get the order in on Monday so it might be here by the weekend.

Hope your match went well...did you use the new racquet?

Redflea
12-08-2006, 09:13 AM
That is what I was guessing too.. thanks

I called P W P today and confirmed that the Aerogel 300 is the 16x19, 330 (4pts head light) version. That matches up w/the current M-Fil 300 in terms of those two specs, so not surprising.

robkat
12-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I called P W P today and confirmed that the Aerogel 300 is the 16x19, 330 (4pts head light) version. That matches up w/the current M-Fil 300 in terms of those two specs, so not surprising.

Thanks for the update !!

jeffreyfranz
12-08-2006, 10:25 AM

:) Boy, do I know what you mean, Redflea. But everyone I play with is as old and slow as me, so it works out.

Redflea
12-08-2006, 10:54 AM
:) Boy, do I know what you mean, Redflea. But everyone I play with is as old and slow as me, so it works out.

:) That certainly helps....unfortunately, I play w/a fair number of younger whipper-snappers, and man do they make me feel old!

LarougeNY
12-08-2006, 01:18 PM
donde esta las picturas y donde esta el review..
not to be rude, i mean take your time, but just tell us how the 200 fells compared to the mfil 200 and possibly the n61 95

mileslong
12-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Mini Review:

Okay guys I have just enough time to write a mini review before I have to dash out, it would only be a mini review anyway since I only played three games with the new stick and didn't even get to hit around with it before I played! My first hit with it was my first serve of my match! I normally play with a Redondo MP.

Anyway, here is the skinny on the limited use:
Dunlop Aerogel 200 18X20
Strung with Babolat VS gut mains @ 58 lbs with Babolat Excel crosses @ 56 lbs.

I was running very late to my match in my league which was on center court at my club for sole possession of first place. I was so late that I didnít even have time to warm up, he offered but I said "letís just go". Not one warm up swing not one practice serve! Long story short, I played three games total with the racket. I won the first game with two aces and one almost ace at 40-love. I lost the second game due to hitting two returns long, one volley at the net wide and one ball into the net down the line. The third game I hit one ace, double faulted, then went to three deuces before losing the game on two unforced errors long after two long rallyís. I then switched back to my Redondo and I ended up losing the match, 5-7, 6-7. This two setter lasted 2 hours and 20 minutes, unbelievable number of balls hit, every game was long.

I went back to the Redondo after three games and now down 1-2 because I was just afraid that I wasnít used to this racket and I would make too many errors in this important match and I didnít want to use this match as a training ground for a racket I have never even hit before.

Initial Impression of Racket

I discussed the color already in a previous post, MW black and white sides of hoop, MFil blue neck and white and light blue at top of bottom of hoop. Like the MFil, the color will have to grow on me. The weight immediately reminded of the weight of the MW, lighter than the MFil, in fact I would have to say that this is THE perfect weight for me personally, If I could put any racket together for me from scratch, I would not make it one ounce lighter or heavier than this Aerogel 200.

The feel is definitely stiffer than the MW, its feels closer to the MFil in this respect but not stiff just stiffer, I think itís good because I think it will aid in directional control and it makes it a much better serving stick IMO. It feels like a Dunlop through and through just with a slight difference. Hard to describe.

The power in this racket is what immediately blew me away. The first swing I took was a serve and I blasted one down the T. I just thought ďWOWĒ did I just hit that serve this hard with a Dunlop 200? I thought it was because I was just geeked up about the match but soon enough I realized that it wasnít me but rather the racket. This thing had big power, after my first forehand I knew then that this racket has more power than any 200 series ever and also that I would need a much tighter setup than the initial one I had put in. I was in shock really, this 200 was now playing with the same power as a 300 MFil at least and somewhere between a Pure Control and a Pure Drive. The ball was exploding off the strings which is a cool feeling when the racket feels good and solid but I wasnít prepared for this. And I immediately found myself adjusting my swing to compensate. Now my initial impressions of each category after a very limited study of just 3 games.

Serve

The very first serve I hit with this stick went down the T and the guy barely clipped it for a winner for me. The power was shocking; I didnít swing out as I just wanted to keep it in play until I warmed up. Honestly it felt like I was serving with a Pure Drive but with a little less spin and a heavier ball. In the two games I served with it I hit 3 aces, this has me very excited since that is really one of the only weaknesses IMO in the MW, that and the return of serve. I could hit flat bombs or a nice kicker with this racket, it serves similar to the HM200 except that I was getting better spin with the Aerogel and more velocity. Serving and my forehand are my two strengths and Iím going to win a lot of service games with this racket.

Forehand

This is really where I first noticed the power, I hit my first one about three feet deep, I couldnít believe it, the best thing I do with my forehand is depth management and I was literally in shock at the way the ball exploded off of the strings. Much more power than my MW, HM or MFil, closer in power with this string setup somewhere between a Pure Control and Pure Drive, about the same power as in the Wilson NCode 6.1 95Ē.

I knew after about five swings that I had an incorrect string setup for my game. I was excited about the extra pop but I never expected this much more. Iím confident that with a tighter string setup along with maybe a Lux cross should be a winning combo for this racket. I now have to decide whether or not I want to cut out a brand new $45 string job or try and adjust a little. I swing long and hard and I donít want to have to worry about it sailing on me and having to throttle back.

I hit some sick angles with it along with a booming forehand down the line winner and if I could control this power I could be dangerous, but I need to throttle back on the power on this one so it looks like Iím going to have to recommend stringing this one up in the 60ís for any player with a big swing.

Backhand

This is where the power really hurt me, In the limited game time I only hit one good backhand, three sailed on me and werenít even close. While my forehand form and timing is excellent my backhand timing is flawed and it shows up in tight games against good players. This is the main reason Iím going to have to lower the power so that I keep my backhands in play until I can set up my forehand.

It does have good plow through for all you other topspin 1HBH players like myself out there so donít worry about that, just make sure you get the correct string and tension setup. I hit some nice ones but the spin was late and it spun down too deep.

The slice backhand was good in that I could cut the legs out from under the ball and the volleys were crisp but I missed two wide due to the power Iím not used to. Again, nothing a less powerful string setup wonít fix.

Volleys

Again not enough action here in three games to really comment on other than it has good pop which should lend itself for better volleys potentially than the other 200 series rackets which had nice feel at the net but would often leave the volleys short and returnable instead of being outright winners. I hit one winner volley and two wide due to power.

Conclusion

I wasnít even going to write a review after just three games with the racket but I thought I would write about my initial observations since I knew a lot of you were interested in it. I have an appointment set up for the ball machine at my club in the morning so if I notice any thing different than I have noticed here I will post it, I am also going to put a new string setup in after the session and I will play a couple of matches and post my new findings with the different setup.

I think this racket has the potential to be a great racket for me as it combines some of the things I wanted to add to the MW. More pop and slightly stiffer frame for better return of serve, serving and volleying. This racket fits the bill perfectly here, great feel and excellent directional control. Great serving stick as well, the only negative so far is that the power in this initial setup is really uncontrollable for me. I was really in shock at the first few swings at the increase in power.

Anyway, I will take a bunch of pictures later tonight and post them for those that are interested. Take care and Iíll see you at the courtsÖ

Redflea
12-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Great review, thanks for posting it after a busy day. I'd call that a maxi-mini review. :)

If the 200 is as strong as the 300 was, what the heck have I gotten myself into w/the 300 that I"m getting?! This is going to be interesting, I hope the Aero 300 isn't going to feel like a PD...hmmmmm.

Looking forward to the pics.

____
12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Nice review.I am looking forward for your pics and long term evaluation of this stick.

Duzza
12-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Aerogell 200?? Why not the 100!! Seriously, is there a way to order these from Europe and ship them to Australia/USA?

Redflea
12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey, Mileslong...aside from the initial order confirmation email, did you ever receive any tracking info from P W P or the shipper?

Richie Rich
12-09-2006, 11:58 AM

thats a good chunk of change for 1 racquet. must be a good one since you can get 2 mfil 200 with some $ left over for that price.

anyway, good review and glad you like the frame. nice to see it work out that way when you buy something sight unseen

mileslong
12-10-2006, 03:38 PM
http://static.flickr.com/124/318992926_630e016321.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/138/318992485_fddc112eb4.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/125/318992032_9ebcbb8350.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/131/318991733_629a271f81.jpg

mileslong
12-10-2006, 03:38 PM
http://static.flickr.com/139/318991639_b4187cace5.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/127/318991389_d4ef6c3a94.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/133/318991300_f70d7e8b48.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/130/318991214_d531dbdb75.jpg

mileslong
12-10-2006, 03:39 PM
http://static.flickr.com/141/318991160_332a29f784.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/125/318991022_758294654f.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/143/318990928_a7f118ffcd.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/139/318990835_1f949ac52c.jpg

mileslong
12-10-2006, 03:40 PM
http://static.flickr.com/133/318990753_ce4f5dea25.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/136/318990550_62d509453b.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/143/318990458_8283de5bac.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/131/318989933_fd5ed00217.jpg

mileslong
12-10-2006, 03:42 PM
http://static.flickr.com/139/318990173_f49e905e9e.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/130/318990378_7df1150162.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/123/318990081_d655474079.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/131/318989766_b2a20f035f.jpg

Pro_Tour_630
12-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I see the bridge on the aerogel 200 stayed the same ala hotmelt 200G and mfil 200G, too bad the bridge was not narrowed, it would have had more feel ala MW200G and Revelation 200G,

VGP
12-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the pics, mileslong!

federermcenroeagassi
12-10-2006, 05:26 PM
miles, nice pics, but im interested in what your impressions after a few hitting sessions are

bertrevert
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi Mileslong

When you put the two hoops over one another what differences do you notice (if any)?

How HL does it measure or feel?

Would you say the sweetspot is quite a bit larger?

Will you attempt to tame the power using any other methods besides the strings?

Many thanks for the review and description and photos so far.

mileslong
12-10-2006, 08:15 PM
http://static.flickr.com/125/319227755_8279e51418_d.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/132/319226534_86c752660a.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/123/319226365_08f5623842.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/DSC04258-1.jpg

mileslong
12-10-2006, 08:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/DSC04261.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/DSC04260.jpg

VGP
12-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Now I see what the others were talking about with the "squarish" look to the Aerogel. It's just an illusion.....(to quote Doug Henning).

You did mention and I see now that you've got the MW, HM, Mfil, and Aerogel 200s. How would you rate them on the various categories of weight, balance, stiffness, power, spin, coolness, etc. etc........

bertrevert
12-11-2006, 03:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/DSC04260.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/mileslong123/DSC04258-1.jpg

I think these show the head evolution.

To me it seems to go from elongated oval of the MW on left, through rounder HM and m-Fil, and now wider aerogel. The latter looks squarer - I know everyone says it's an optical illusion - yet it seems flatter at the top and bottom of the hoop (less curve) - surely that beam is flatter/squarer?

I'm not talking about the aerogel silver areas I mean the curve of the top and bottom of the hoop.

I didn't like the HM and m-Fil but I sure like the sound of the aerogel's "added pop" and perhaps a wider hoop (can you clarfiy is it flatter and wider?) and lighter static weight and SW. (I moved away from Dunlop to get some of the PD pop in my game.)

You say you missed some BH groundies (long) and volleys (wide) so that's the pop there. Did it feel more HL?

mileslong
12-11-2006, 05:24 PM
i have to brief here but here is what i have done since the last post. i hit for an hour and a half with the ball machine at my club and it just confirmed what i had felt in the 3 games of my match.

i really like the feel of the racket and i wanted some extra pop just not this much, for me its too much. im having it restrugn tonight with a gut/lux hybrid and about 4 lbs stiffer than before and i will post those observations after i hit with that string setup.

as far as the comparison to the other dunlops i have, i guess briefly it would be something like this:

1) MW - more flexible feeling than the Aergol (AG), not as much power. the static weight of the AG feels similar to the MW as well as swing weight. im guessing around 6 pts headlight or something like that. best feeling of the four dunlops imo. the AG feels crisper to me. great depth control and good angles and drops. doesnt ever get heavy feeling to me. favorite overall at this point, does everything well but block back serves.

2) HM - the HM has always felt a little lighter to me than the MW. it also has more pop than the MW but not quite as much as the AG. i dont think the HM is as stable as the MW and the AG. i think the HM is a better serving stick than the MW although i actually got more spin with the MW. i think the super flex of the MW made it harder for me to be as accurate on my serves as the HM. the HM has a stiffer hoop than the MW, more like the AG here. a nice doubles racket.

3) MFil - this is the heaviest feeling of the bunch to me. more power than the MW and about the same as the HM. i think the frame of the MFil is the most similar to the AG although i think the AG has a little thinner beam. the hoop i think is very similar to the MFil. i think the AG has a little better spin potential than the MFil. the MFIl is best for hitting flat bombs for serves and winners from the backcourt. can be a load into the third set however. great at blocking back hard serves.

4) Aerogel - i must still experiment to find the right string setup for this racket to give it a proper review. the first setup of gut mains with excel crosses at 58/56 was just way too powerful for me.

great feel, more crisp than the other dunlops, second on feel to the MW. excellent directional control and great to serve with. right now the depth control is not there. hard to estimate the spin potential with this powerfil setup but it appears to be pretty good. this racket feels about like the HM for static weight or maybe in between the MW and the HM, perfect feeling weight. it swings lighter than the MFil and you can definately generate more racket head speed with this one. due to its extra stiffness it adds more pop and better for volleys and return of serve. i think the directional control is excellent. my only worry at this point is the power and depth control. i think the spin will be fine, about like all tight pattern dunlops. it serves better than any of the four.

anirut
12-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Miles, thanks for the comparison. Looks like the AG's a good one. Looking forward to your "proper" review.

Duzza
12-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Mm....Gamma Worms loving it.

abenguyen
12-11-2006, 05:44 PM
o man i want one now... it seems just like the lm radical. 18x20 pattern. and i love the new look. but it won't be available in the U.S. will it now. where did you get yours from mileslong?

WhiteSox05CA
12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
What's the stiffness on a Aerogel 200? And that weight, 338 grams, is that strung right? Also, what the exact date of it's release? Jan. 15th??

Redflea
12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
The projected release date in the states is supposed to be Feb 1.

mileslong
12-11-2006, 10:22 PM
What's the stiffness on a Aerogel 200? And that weight, 338 grams, is that strung right?
the flex is 63, strung weight is supposed to be 337.5.
where did you get yours from mileslong?
i ordered it from a store in wimbledon, england.

i had my guy pick up two of my rackets tonight, one of my redondos broke a main and he is restringing:

my aerogel with lux timo 17 mains @ 60lbs and klip gut 17 crosses @ 60lbs.
my redondo with lux timo 17 mains @ 58lbs and klip gut crosses @58 lbs.

i will be picking upboth rackets tomorrow and will try and hit with the serogel and give an
updated report. played doubles with my backup redondo tonight and it played great, its strung with
nrg @ 60lbs mains and 58lbs crosses.

psp2
12-11-2006, 10:23 PM
What's the stiffness on a Aerogel 200? And that weight, 338 grams, is that strung right? Also, what the exact date of it's release? Jan. 15th??

58 on a Babolat RDC.

Redflea
12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Mileslong..who delivered your 200? Was it UPS? I got what they said was a UPS tracking number by calling this AM, but it's not working yet, and I assume that's because the European shipper hasn't handed off to them yet.

Did UPS deliver it, and did you ever get a tracking number? I know I should just wait calmly, but it's obvious that if I was the patient type, I would have waited until Feb when it is released here... :)

Duzza
12-12-2006, 02:16 AM
58 on a Babolat RDC.

You serious? Oh wow that sounds perfect. How about the 100? Anything?

psp2
12-12-2006, 03:14 AM
You serious? Oh wow that sounds perfect. How about the 100? Anything?

Yes. 58 is the # the RDC machine spat out. I didn't have a 100 to test.

Duzza
12-12-2006, 03:20 AM
Yes. 58 is the # the RDC machine spat out. I didn't have a 100 to test.

Sounds around what it will be though. The M-Fil was only 61.

mileslong
12-12-2006, 08:38 AM
according to this ad the flex is 63. my racket is being restrung so i cant look at it until this afternoon to see what it says on the racket itself. i also dont know if that flex is measured strung or unstrung.
http://www.teamdunlop.de/dunlop-products/product_2hundred_002.jpg

mileslong
12-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Mileslong..who delivered your 200? Was it UPS? I got what they said was a UPS tracking number by calling this AM, but it's not working yet, and I assume that's because the European shipper hasn't handed off to them yet.
they told me that they were going to give me a tracking number one thursday, they then wrote and said they had a delay in getting it from the wimbledon store but it would go out the next week and they would send the tracking number. i didnt recieve one and i even called the store but they had already closed for the day. then all of a sudden the UPS guy showed up with my racket.

i just looked at the shipping label and it was handled in england by -nternational Logistics Group, LTD. phone number:0144-871-808.

at some point it is then handed off to UPS here in the states. hope this helps, i would also email TIm at p w p and call as well.

FuriousYellow
12-12-2006, 09:12 AM
according to this ad the flex is 63. my racket is being restrung so i cant look at it until this afternoon to see what it says on the racket itself. i also dont know if that flex is measured strung or unstrung.

That spec may be for an unstrung frame. I had a similar question regarding the M-FIL 200 2006 which had the RA spec listed as 67 on the frame. Here's Chris from TW's response:

The RA listed by the manufacturer is for an unstrung frame. A strung racquet will have a lower RA rating. We list strung specs. The typical drop is around 3 units for a strung racquet, which would put both your examples right on spec.

Chris, TW.

Fedace
12-12-2006, 09:16 AM
How ?? I though this wasn't going to be available til Jan 25th or so ?

Redflea
12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
they told me that they were going to give me a tracking number one thursday, they then wrote and said they had a delay in getting it from the wimbledon store but it would go out the next week and they would send the tracking number. i didnt recieve one and i even called the store but they had already closed for the day. then all of a sudden the UPS guy showed up with my racket.

i just looked at the shipping label and it was handled in england by -nternational Logistics Group, LTD. phone number:0144-871-808.

at some point it is then handed off to UPS here in the states. hope this helps, i would also email TIm at p w p and call as well.

Thanks! I heard back from Tim, and got my tracking number and my Aerogel 300 shows up tomorrow!! :D Christmas will be a bit early this year....

nickb
12-12-2006, 12:03 PM
nice pics! looking forward to your reveiw!

Redflea please could you compare your aerogel 300 to your Mfil when you get it?

Im in the UK so i minght just have to pick one up.....

Cheers

Nick

Redflea
12-12-2006, 01:49 PM
nice pics! looking forward to your reveiw!

Redflea please could you compare your aerogel 300 to your Mfil when you get it?

Im in the UK so i minght just have to pick one up.....

Cheers

Nick

Sure...I'll either post in the existing M-Fil 300 thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=92485&page=71), or maybe start a new thread for the Aerogel 300.

I looked up the stringing pattern on the USRSA site, and it's the same as the M-Fil 300 as I suspected. Have an extra set of gut at home, so I'm ready to rock-n-roll when it arrives tomorrow.

mileslong
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
hey redflea,

please start a new post for the aerogel 300. im anxious to hear about your
experience with it. i will tell you that if i were you i would string that gut up tighter than you normally do.

im curious to see if you see the same power increase that i have experienced. i m picking up my aerogel 200 tonight with the new, tighter setup with gut and lux hybrid. i dont know if i can hit with it tonight however since my girlfriend wants me to go pick up a christmas tree tonight! :(

Redflea
12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
hey redflea,

please start a new post for the aerogel 300. im anxious to hear about your
experience with it. i will tell you that if i were you i would string that gut up tighter than you normally do.

im curious to see if you see the same power increase that i have experienced. i m picking up my aerogel 200 tonight with the new, tighter setup with gut and lux hybrid. i dont know if i can hit with it tonight however since my girlfriend wants me to go pick up a christmas tree tonight! :(

Thanks for the reminder about the power increase you saw w/the 200...I am a bit worried about w/the 300 as well.

I had already upped my tension from 60 to 62 when I switched to gut. I was hesitant about increasing it further, but your comments about the power increase do have me a bit worried. I like to change one variable at a time if possible, but on the other hand, I don't want to waste a set of gut if I can help it. Maybe I'll go 63lbs...chicken middle.

If the Aero 300 is a lot more powerful I may have to go to a hybrid to tone the power down a bit...

Regarding the tree vs. tennis...first happiness rule for me is that if my wife is happy, I'm happy. I'd do the tree first. :)

mileslong
12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
yeah, happy wife happy life. im already pushing it playing tennis about 4-5 times a week as it is...

mileslong
12-13-2006, 12:18 PM
well i got my aerogel 200 oand one of my redondos restrung last night with lux timo 17 mains and klip legend gut crosses. i thought that this would tame the power of the other setup. well i just found out that my stringer screwed up and mixed up the tensions.

i wanted the lux mains to be at 56lbs and the gut crosses at 58lbs. normally i string my crosses 2 lbs lighter but with the lux i thought this setup would be better. he strung the lux mains at 58lbs and the crosses at 56lbs. i can already tell that this setup will feel like a freakin' board, so another expensive string job will be down the tubes. im going to hit with it to test it but if it feels boardy then im cutting it out and starting over.

i had the guy put the aerogel on the balance board and found out something else rather shocking to me. with the heavier lux string and a gamma worm in place the balance point was only 1.50cm which i believe equates to only around 4-5 pts headlight. i thought it would at least be 6-8 pts. headlight. does anyone here know what 1.50cm means points wise?? i just tried to recalculate that and now im getting only 2pts headlight?! what does 1.50cm equal in points??

i will post again when i get through hitting with my new aerogel board...:(

Redflea
12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Mileslong...my Aerogel 300 arrived today. Thanks for the info you provided to help me get that done confidently.

My 300 is heavier than expected (10.95 strung vs. 10.75 spec'd). I haven't checked out the balance yet, but am wondering how that may vary due to the greater weight.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108331&page=6

Sorry to hear about your string job...hope you don't have to cut it out!

robkat
12-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Miles.. I come up with about 4.8ptHL. 1.50cm=.59inch

mileslong
12-13-2006, 04:18 PM
thanks rob, i did recalculate later with some help and my initial calc was accurate, i had come up with 4.8 orginally. i cant believe its only that headlight kind of surprising.

WhiteSox05CA
12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I'll certainly post if the 100 comes out in Australia. The Sydney Dunlop rep was apparently very dismissive of any early release here - of any of the new racquets - complaining that they want to shift stock of the existing m-Fil line beforehand. I don't imagine they couild hold back or delay once the Aus Open is happening, but maybe they'll try.

So the distinctive Dunlop hoop remains - that's a good thing.

There is a staged release to these racquets and the 16x19 is apparently in the second phase. I too am looking out for that one and hope that it is an improvement on the m-Fil 200 2006

So the Aerogel 200 is coming out in a 16x19 string pattern?? When's the "second phase" going to be??

mileslong
12-13-2006, 10:45 PM
i wanted to post a bit of an update tonight after a brief hitting session. as i had mentioned i had it strung up tighter with lux timo 17 mains st 58 lbs and klip legend gut crosses at 56lbs. i wanted the reverse lbs with the timo at 56 but my stringer messed up. i knew that would make it pretty stiff but i really wanted to know about the power.

after hitting with it for a while and a ton of serves i have good news to report. it tamed the power very well and i can now play with this racket. it is one of the most accurate serving sticks i have ever hit. i hardly ever missed, i felt like a machine tonight serving. nice kick and i could flatten it out as well. not as much pop as before but the control was amazing.

i was very pleased and the feel wasnt as stiff as i feared. i am going to try two more setups and i think i will have it dialed in nicely. going to try it next time with gut mains and lux crosses. mains at 60 to 62lbs and lux crosses around 55-56lbs. that may be a winner. i am also going to try a hybrid with gut mains and maybe sppp crosses and a full low powered synthetic job as well.

the racket is solid as a rock and now that i see i can tame the power im excited again. that lux also adds some nice spin as well. the real test will of course be in a match again so i will write one more detailed report after my next match with the lower power setup. can't wait. see you at the courts...

mmuubb
12-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Can't wait to get my hands on the 200 and especially 100...I've had both HM 200g and mfil 200 as well as a single HM 100g(that's the good thing about living in Europe:) and definetly liked the 100g most. Overall, I hope that the feel would be more of the HM than the Mfil series...

mileslong
12-14-2006, 09:44 AM
mmuubb, you might have to broker a deal for me to help me get my hands on a 100 when they come out over there. you will be compensated of course :)

mileslong
12-14-2006, 07:19 PM
well its over the bridge and across the lake to my club to play in my singles match tonight for my league. the aerogel is getting a complete set tonight regardess. if i play poorly with it its back to the redondo to try and save the 2nd set and on to the 3rd.

i will report back on the new lower powered setup and whether or not this has the potential to be THE racket for me...

anirut
12-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Miles, best of luck! Looking forward to your good news!

Redflea
12-14-2006, 09:31 PM
well its over the bridge and across the lake to my club to play in my singles match tonight for my league. the aerogel is getting a complete set tonight regardess. if i play poorly with it its back to the redondo to try and save the 2nd set and on to the 3rd.

i will report back on the new lower powered setup and whether or not this has the potential to be THE racket for me...

Hope you win.

Hope the Aerogel helps you win.

:)

mileslong
12-14-2006, 09:33 PM
edited.............

AndrewD
12-15-2006, 02:30 AM
mileslong,

Sorry to hear about the 'day from hell' and hope the next one is better. As to your experience with the Aerogel 200, you might find it more helpful to give it a more extended test using just a one string lay-up rather than a hybrid. You want to get used to the feel of the racquet but, with hybrid strings, you're having to decipher the feedback from two string types. A better option might be to opt for a low powered string that has a lot of feel. That way, while you might ultimately find yourself a bit short on power (easily fixed at a later stage), you'll be able to get a much better idea of how the racquet handles.

Fedace
12-15-2006, 02:58 AM
How does this play ? Is it very similar to Mfil 200 ? Is this more powerful than Mcenroe racket ?

Redflea
12-15-2006, 08:11 AM
edited.............

That's an understatement. :)

Saw your post last night but thought the better of replying at the time...I hope a night's sleep has brought some calming distance and perspective. It's just tennis, right? :)

Pro_Tour_630
12-15-2006, 08:25 AM
ml or anyone, does the bridge on the ag200 narrow like they narrow with the ag300?

mileslong
12-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear about the 'day from hell' and hope the next one is better. As to your experience with the Aerogel 200, you might find it more helpful to give it a more extended test using just a one string lay-up rather than a hybrid. You want to get used to the feel of the racquet but, with hybrid strings, you're having to decipher the feedback from two string types. A better option might be to opt for a low powered string that has a lot of feel. That way, while you might ultimately find yourself a bit short on power (easily fixed at a later stage), you'll be able to get a much better idea of how the racquet handles.
thats good advice and thats exactly what i plan on doing, thanks...

redflea, yeah after i read my post i was like "what the h@ll, that doesnt even sound like me" so i deleted it. like you said its only tennis, and today im in a great mood :)

mileslong
12-15-2006, 11:03 AM
How does this play ? Is it very similar to Mfil 200 ? Is this more powerful than Mcenroe racket ?
it plays similar to the MFil with a bit more power imo, i havent played the mcenroe stick. the specs on that one never really interested me personally...

Redflea
12-15-2006, 01:37 PM
redflea, yeah after i read my post i was like "what the h@ll, that doesnt even sound like me" so i deleted it. like you said its only tennis, and today im in a great mood :)

Been there, done that. :) Glad to hear you're on the up-side again.

I had a very brief and frustrating hit w/my Aerogel 300 today...frustrating because the only time I have today at all is lunch, and all I could do was the backboard and hit a few serves. Can't play this evening, couldn't find anyone else free at lunch, and my pro is out on vacation.

Anyway, I hit the backboard for about 35 minutes and then hit some serves. I'm really starting to convince myself that the Aerogel does have an even more solid feel than the M-Fil 300. Still need some games w/each back-to-back to confirm.

Have you noticed anything similar w/the Aerogel 200 compared to the M-Fil 200? I know you said the Aerogel 200 feel very solid...should I presume better than the M-Fil 200?

mileslong
12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
redflea, its been a while since i played with my MFil since i became a redondo convert a while back. this weekend i will hit the MFil and Aerogel back to back and give a good comparison.

TheViking
12-19-2006, 09:42 AM
hey mileslong, I'm really enjoying hearing about your experience with the Aerogel, being a Dunlop 200 fan myself. The string pattern in the pictures you put up looks almost like a more open 18x20, is that the case and if so, are you noticing access to more spin?

Also, I always found the vibrations on the MW a bit severe, how do you find them with the Aerogel, as compared to the MW?

Thanks!

federermcenroeagassi
12-23-2006, 05:09 PM
miles, be sure to state how the aerogel 200 compares to your redondo mp ;D

Fedace
12-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Why is Aerogel 300 so good but Aerogell 500 suck so bad?

WhiteSox05CA
12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Why is Aerogel 300 so good but Aerogell 500 suck so bad?

Who said that?

Fedace
12-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Aerogel 500 is a bad stick , i demoed it for 30 minutes 2 days ago

federermcenroeagassi
12-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Aerogel 500 is a bad stick , i demoed it for 30 minutes 2 days ago

you know, i felt the same way after playing with my pk redondo mp, but boy am i happy my dad advised me to keep it and not sell it. now its my main stick. i would advise you to give it more time. however, if you dont want to, email me for my address and ill buy it off you, lol

tennisguy11
12-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Miles, can you please post a review and compare to other racquets you have used, thanks

topspin_17
01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Mini Review:

Okay guys I have just enough time to write a mini review before I have to dash out, it would only be a mini review anyway since I only played three games with the new stick and didn't even get to hit around with it before I played! My first hit with it was my first serve of my match! I normally play with a Redondo MP.

Anyway, here is the skinny on the limited use:
Dunlop Aerogel 200 18X20
Strung with Babolat VS gut mains @ 58 lbs with Babolat Excel crosses @ 56 lbs.

I was running very late to my match in my league which was on center court at my club for sole possession of first place. I was so late that I didnít even have time to warm up, he offered but I said "letís just go". Not one warm up swing not one practice serve! Long story short, I played three games total with the racket. I won the first game with two aces and one almost ace at 40-love. I lost the second game due to hitting two returns long, one volley at the net wide and one ball into the net down the line. The third game I hit one ace, double faulted, then went to three deuces before losing the game on two unforced errors long after two long rallyís. I then switched back to my Redondo and I ended up losing the match, 5-7, 6-7. This two setter lasted 2 hours and 20 minutes, unbelievable number of balls hit, every game was long.

I went back to the Redondo after three games and now down 1-2 because I was just afraid that I wasnít used to this racket and I would make too many errors in this important match and I didnít want to use this match as a training ground for a racket I have never even hit before.

Initial Impression of Racket

I discussed the color already in a previous post, MW black and white sides of hoop, MFil blue neck and white and light blue at top of bottom of hoop. Like the MFil, the color will have to grow on me. The weight immediately reminded of the weight of the MW, lighter than the MFil, in fact I would have to say that this is THE perfect weight for me personally, If I could put any racket together for me from scratch, I would not make it one ounce lighter or heavier than this Aerogel 200.

The feel is definitely stiffer than the MW, its feels closer to the MFil in this respect but not stiff just stiffer, I think itís good because I think it will aid in directional control and it makes it a much better serving stick IMO. It feels like a Dunlop through and through just with a slight difference. Hard to describe.

The power in this racket is what immediately blew me away. The first swing I took was a serve and I blasted one down the T. I just thought ďWOWĒ did I just hit that serve this hard with a Dunlop 200? I thought it was because I was just geeked up about the match but soon enough I realized that it wasnít me but rather the racket. This thing had big power, after my first forehand I knew then that this racket has more power than any 200 series ever and also that I would need a much tighter setup than the initial one I had put in. I was in shock really, this 200 was now playing with the same power as a 300 MFil at least and somewhere between a Pure Control and a Pure Drive. The ball was exploding off the strings which is a cool feeling when the racket feels good and solid but I wasnít prepared for this. And I immediately found myself adjusting my swing to compensate. Now my initial impressions of each category after a very limited study of just 3 games.

Serve

The very first serve I hit with this stick went down the T and the guy barely clipped it for a winner for me. The power was shocking; I didnít swing out as I just wanted to keep it in play until I warmed up. Honestly it felt like I was serving with a Pure Drive but with a little less spin and a heavier ball. In the two games I served with it I hit 3 aces, this has me very excited since that is really one of the only weaknesses IMO in the MW, that and the return of serve. I could hit flat bombs or a nice kicker with this racket, it serves similar to the HM200 except that I was getting better spin with the Aerogel and more velocity. Serving and my forehand are my two strengths and Iím going to win a lot of service games with this racket.

Forehand

This is really where I first noticed the power, I hit my first one about three feet deep, I couldnít believe it, the best thing I do with my forehand is depth management and I was literally in shock at the way the ball exploded off of the strings. Much more power than my MW, HM or MFil, closer in power with this string setup somewhere between a Pure Control and Pure Drive, about the same power as in the Wilson NCode 6.1 95Ē.

I knew after about five swings that I had an incorrect string setup for my game. I was excited about the extra pop but I never expected this much more. Iím confident that with a tighter string setup along with maybe a Lux cross should be a winning combo for this racket. I now have to decide whether or not I want to cut out a brand new $45 string job or try and adjust a little. I swing long and hard and I donít want to have to worry about it sailing on me and having to throttle back.

I hit some sick angles with it along with a booming forehand down the line winner and if I could control this power I could be dangerous, but I need to throttle back on the power on this one so it looks like Iím going to have to recommend stringing this one up in the 60ís for any player with a big swing.

Backhand

This is where the power really hurt me, In the limited game time I only hit one good backhand, three sailed on me and werenít even close. While my forehand form and timing is excellent my backhand timing is flawed and it shows up in tight games against good players. This is the main reason Iím going to have to lower the power so that I keep my backhands in play until I can set up my forehand.

It does have good plow through for all you other topspin 1HBH players like myself out there so donít worry about that, just make sure you get the correct string and tension setup. I hit some nice ones but the spin was late and it spun down too deep.

The slice backhand was good in that I could cut the legs out from under the ball and the volleys were crisp but I missed two wide due to the power Iím not used to. Again, nothing a less powerful string setup wonít fix.

Volleys

Again not enough action here in three games to really comment on other than it has good pop which should lend itself for better volleys potentially than the other 200 series rackets which had nice feel at the net but would often leave the volleys short and returnable instead of being outright winners. I hit one winner volley and two wide due to power.

Conclusion

I wasnít even going to write a review after just three games with the racket but I thought I would write about my initial observations since I knew a lot of you were interested in it. I have an appointment set up for the ball machine at my club in the morning so if I notice any thing different than I have noticed here I will post it, I am also going to put a new string setup in after the session and I will play a couple of matches and post my new findings with the different setup.

I think this racket has the potential to be a great racket for me as it combines some of the things I wanted to add to the MW. More pop and slightly stiffer frame for better return of serve, serving and volleying. This racket fits the bill perfectly here, great feel and excellent directional control. Great serving stick as well, the only negative so far is that the power in this initial setup is really uncontrollable for me. I was really in shock at the first few swings at the increase in power.

Anyway, I will take a bunch of pictures later tonight and post them for those that are interested. Take care and Iíll see you at the courtsÖ

how does the aerogel compare to the redondo? thanks