PDA

View Full Version : Status of Volkl

NoBadMojo
12-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Another thread existed regarding the changes in Volkl for next year which was eventually deleted by the Mods because of the constant badgering and attacking and insulting done. There was also lots of wild speculation and grossly bad information. I am taking the time to explain the situation as I know it, and ask that the Mods delete the forthcoming personal affronts or otherwise just delete this thread as well and we can declare this my last attempt to try and give people good tennis info in a tennis forum. if people think i am making this stuff up thats fine, but my info is certainly much better than those who say Volkl is going tube city because they have a friend who knows someone who owns a tennis shoppe and they heard from the Wilson rep that Volkl racquets arent selling.

Effective the first of the year, Volkl (corporate) will be using a new Distributor for the US marketplace...Klip USA. Klip USA also distributes other tennis products so there are many more efficiencies than their previous Distributor VSA (Volkl Sport America) who was also doing the ski stuff. So now there is a Distributor who knows tennis rather than skiing and that is also an improvement.

Also, I have the upmost respect for Sean Frost who will be serving as the NSM for VolklUSA and also I believe will be the Managing Dtr of KlipUSA. Sean is smart, really knows the Industry, works extremely hard, and is a quality guy. I hope he kicks some serious ***.

How is Volkl doing? I dont know that any of us who knows with any certainty. The tennis biz in the US isnt exactly booming and the distrubution channels certainly are no longer about the independent tennis shoppe or racquet club as far as the volume goes. They launched the DNX stuff this year....they put it in the V1 frame to test the waters...if it didnt do well, i highly doubt they would have expanded it so broadly to a entire range of new frames. It also cost them a bunch of money to create the Power Arm which is quite an interesting piece of engineering..Volkl is, by far, the most engineered product line out there..whether that is winning them business, everyone can speculate away..they do consider the safety of the user and i also feel that's an impt element..i think they make fine products. you can actually see and feel the engineering and materials at work

i'm done.....folks can proces this as they like.

barney
12-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Do you work for Volkl ?

BreakPoint
12-06-2006, 11:57 AM

Be careful, asking that question will likely get this thread deleted as well. Just an FYI.

ollinger
12-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Mr. Mojo
You indicated in the deleted thread that Volkl was having a great year, or words to that effect. Here, you suggest that you don't have info as to how they are doing. This raises some credibility concerns about the "information" you are providing about this company and their products.

ollinger
12-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Yes, the Power Arm certainly is an "interesting" piece of engineering. I hadn't noticed any comments from you in the past as to how it plays. You seem to know roughly what it cost to develop. How much of an investment was it?

Chauvalito
12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
NBMJ,
thanks for starting the thread again...I searched for awhile earlier today thinking their must be a server glitch...apparently not.

sureshs
12-06-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't think anyone said in the deleted thread that a Wilson rep said Volkls aren't selling. There were several posts that the store owner said so and it was not mentioned whether or not he got the info from a Wilson rep or for that matter, any rep, or was just going by his inventory (which was the case at my pro shop). This implies that Wilson reps are out there slandering Volkl, which itself is a serious allegation.

Offshore
12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Good info. NBM! I hope that the frames do well as I like their quality control and engineering. I have not seen many Volkls (hardly any DNX sticks) in my region lately so I do not think that they are selling as well as a couple of years ago in this area. That is a shame because the old Tour 10's, V1's and C10 pro were pretty popular. Heck, some of the Cats were popular as well. Anyway, I hope that the new distribution arrangement works out.

NoBadMojo
12-06-2006, 01:55 PM

yw....nope

Offshore
12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Upon reading some of the Volkl bashing nonsense in other threads I need to throw in my 2 cents; I think, and hope, that the new distribution arrangement is a success. Volkl has made some of the most well made sticks of all of the manufacturers during the past six years or so. If I had to choose one manufacturer of frames to commit to it would be Volkl. I have never hit with a badly made Volkl racquet and they do not market "gimmick" engineering like Head and Wilson. I do not use a Volkl currently but I am always checking out their offerings and would never hesitate to make the switch. I am disappointed that I do not see a lot of their frames in my area and I believe that they just have not been marketed well enough. A good friend of mine works for Volkl Ski and he also had been charged with repping the tennis frames......it made no sense. Best of luck to Volkl and Sean Frost and I am sure that I will eventually be using one of their racquets for the long term.

OK.
12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
lol wheres Drackulie.... he'd have something to say about that :S

slash96
12-07-2006, 01:21 AM
I've followed the Volkl bashing in this forum for quite a while. Since I recently switched from Dunlop to Volkl I feel I should share my opinion on Volkl.
I really like the feel of my DNX 10. It allows for great control and even offers some power. The raquet plain and simply convinced me. It's just a matter of taste IMHO. Wilson, Head, Dunlop, Prince, Babolat or Volkl all make excellent raquets.

So I really don't understand why some people are so passionately bashing Volkl. What it comes down to in my opinion is the fact that Volkl's marketing isn't up to par with the other raquet companies. Wilson, Head, Prince or Babolat are much more effective in creating an marketable image and design for their raquets. Their player endorsement really is important regarding marketability. Whenever Agassi won, Head would sell more raquets. The same goes for Babolat and Nadal or Roddick I imagine. Just because Volkl isnt endorseing one of the popular players is evidence of their quality.

max
12-07-2006, 05:37 AM
I agree entirely with OFfshore. Volkl makes wonderful products. I, too, have never run across junk being marketed to the guileless. .. as other, larger market share companies do.

The real problem is getting racquets sold to more and more new players. Fortunately, the sport of tennis seems to recognize this need and has been promoting participation in the sport.

Rabbit
12-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Boy, I hate to pile on (tongue in cheek) but I also have to comment on Volkl quality. I am now long-termer with Volkl and have hit with most everything in their inventory. I have pretty much said what I liked and what I didn't (get into the wayback machine and read my comments about the first release of the Quantum 10 or the Tour 9). But, it should also be noted that is why they make more than one frame! All in all though, I have never played with a Volkl product that wasn't first class in its construction or in its specs. In my mind, Volkl makes a quality product.

I wish frames stayed around longer, but that is more an industry-wide comment than a manufacturer specific one.

alfa164164
12-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Rabbit - Apparently you never hit with the Tour 9 VE 18x20 (just kidding, but not really - that was a horrible stick). I've used Volkl all the way back to the Servo Soft "S" of the 80's. The T9 frames and Comp Series frames of the early 90s were great sticks.

jackson vile
12-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I knew klip and volkl where in bed, ever notice how NBMJ is so so pro volkl, and then klip when it was offered here LOL.

I really want to try the DNX10mid, how was that for the 1hbh?

Rabbit
12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Rabbit - Apparently you never hit with the Tour 9 VE 18x20 (just kidding, but not really - that was a horrible stick). I've used Volkl all the way back to the Servo Soft "S" of the 80's. The T9 frames and Comp Series frames of the early 90s were great sticks.

You know what, the Tour 9 wasn't for me, but it was a nice stick. However, I can see where a long-long-long time Volkl user such as yourself would see the Tour 9 as a complete and total departure from the ultra comfortable rackets of the Volkl lineage. And, a departure from that heritage is akin to the first time Bob Dylan played electric.

And, oh yeah....nice White Goodman! :)

NoBadMojo
12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I didnt think the VE9 was a decent stick..it was a bust, but it set the way for other v-engines which are good sticks. The v-engine is a reinvention of the Volkl frame Korda used to use way back when, so it wasnt new technology for them. I also always had trouble recommending pretty much anything from the Quantum Series..those felt like every other run of the mill frame to me. but to each their own. they cant all be gems.

Rabbit
12-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Exactly my point. However, I'm sure that there were some players who absolutely love both of those frames. The Q10 stayed in production long enough somebody had to like it. The point is that there are different rackets for different players. Volkl made its bones making kindler, gentler frames. When they became bigger, and found that the real money was in game improvement frames, they began to make some of those frames; apparently to the chagrin of the faithful.

The rest of the V-Engine line was pretty good. I still like one particular model :)

El Diablo
12-08-2006, 06:29 AM
I have no knowledge of Volkl's condition but I'd be very surprised to hear of ANY company that ever turned its marketing and distribution over to another company while it was experiencing GROWTH in a particular market.

max
12-08-2006, 07:13 AM
El Diablo is on to something. Probably accurate. The real problem is getting new players in the sport.

NoBadMojo
12-08-2006, 07:26 AM
I have no knowledge of Volkl's condition but I'd be very surprised to hear of ANY company that ever turned its marketing and distribution over to another company while it was experiencing GROWTH in a particular market.

oh....i understand..to summarize, you state you have no knowledge of this but speak as though you have knowledge. and no company that is doing well ever makes changes..interesting theory
got news for you..business ain't done in a vacuum. companies often do make changes when they are doing fine. thats how companies continue to grow and do fine.
i'll leave it up to all you 'experts' to tell us how well Volkl is doing.

ohplease
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
oh....i understand..to summarize, you have no knowledge of this but speak as though you have knowledge. got news for you..business ain't done in a vacuum.

This is exactly how threads are derailed.

Let's mark this right now: it takes two to tango, and NBMJ is asking for the first dance, right here.

El Diablo and max have made legitimate observations. If you don't agree, let's see your data - but don't poison the discussion then pretend you're little miss innocent. Secondly, since when does "he started it" qualify as a legitimate rebuttal? What are you, 12?

Nobody is starting anything here other than NBMJ. El Diablo's subject isn't NBMJ, it's not even NBMJ's best friend forever Volkl - he's talking about a common business phenomenon that sure looks like it applies to Volkl. Unless NBMJ is so deranged that he self-identifies with not Volkl, but Volkl's *business practices*, there is no personal attack. Certainly not one that justifies NBMJ's paranoid fanboy response.

NoBadMojo
12-08-2006, 08:21 AM
This is exactly how threads are derailed.

Let's mark this right now: it takes two to tango, and NBMJ is asking for the first dance, right here.

El Diablo and max have made legitimate observations. If you don't agree, let's see your data - but don't poison the discussion then pretend you're little miss innocent. Secondly, since when does "he started it" qualify as a legitimate rebuttal? What are you, 12?

Nobody is starting anything here other than NBMJ. El Diablo's subject isn't NBMJ, it's not even NBMJ's best friend forever Volkl - he's talking about a common business phenomenon that sure looks like it applies to Volkl. Unless NBMJ is so deranged that he self-identifies with not Volkl, but Volkl's *business practices*, there is no personal attack. Certainly not one that justifies NBMJ's paranoid fanboy response.

no...actually anyone can see it is you derailing this thread..i dont have to provide data.i have info and i stated that i think volkl is ok and cited reasons why i think this is so..nobody else has anything except wild guesses and wild theories, and the evidence they have that vokl is doing poorly is because they made a change..excuse me, but thats just not any sort of evidence at all. it is your history to come into these things because you have some sort of obsession with what i post and muck things up..as anyone can see you are attacking me...you must be my personal fanboy..it was just a matter of time before the usuals <yourself included step in to turn a thread into crap>..i got news for you which is the same news i just gave to el diablo...COMPANIES MAKE CHANGES SOMETIMES..THAT DOESNT MEAN THEY ARENT DOING WELL. if you disagree..thats fine, but your constant personal attacks on me (you have history of this) arent acceptable. el diablo also has a history of never posting anything positive on this forum..atack away all. so tell me since you judge me, how is it that el diablos obserrvations are legit? what info do you have..you're just attacking and derailing this thread.....good one
as an adjunct, i didnt call el diablo any names..admittedly i was sarcastic in my response..like that is something really bad in light of the stuff that goes on around here. you..on the other hand are calling me deranged paranoid and fanboy..that's pretty revealing about YOUR nature and who is derailing threads around here

NoBadMojo
12-08-2006, 08:47 AM
i would like to excuse myself from this thread. i've stated the truth as i know it and dont wish to grovel with the usuals. i know more info about this stuff, but no way I am sharing anything in light of the attitude and behaviour of some of the posters around here..like the ones who call me paranoid, delusional;, deranged ...and stuff like that......so fill this thread up with the normal whack..hope it makes you all feel nice..bye now
ya know..companies make changes for all kinds of reasons even when things are fine..sometimes it's one persons' ego who has power..could be lots of things..who knows, but these personal attacks are repugnant

BreakPoint
12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
oh....i understand..to summarize, you state you have no knowledge of this but speak as though you have knowledge. and no company that is doing well ever makes changes..interesting theory
got news for you..business ain't done in a vacuum. companies often do make changes when they are doing fine. thats how companies continue to grow and do fine.

NBMJ, if you don't mind me asking, but which university did you earn your MBA at? Thanks.