PDA

View Full Version : Indoor tennis in the Bay Area (CA)?

billfark
12-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Good afternoon - I'm not sure if this belongs in the Tennis Travel board, but I can't think of a better place to put it. Odds n Ends is waaaay off-topic stuff.

With the weather getting colder (no "it's always sunny in CA" jokes, please, lol... it does get cold here, sort of), and the chances of rain increasing, I'm looking for some indoor tennis courts to practice on. I've done a little bit of research that has led me to believe that the only way to play indoor tennis in my area is to join a tennis club or athletic club that has some indoor courts. I was thinking about Club Sport, but their fees are simply too high for me. What I would really like to find is a facility that has indoor (or even covered) courts, but that you can rent for a certain hourly rate. I would assume that some sort of facility like this exists in the Bay Area, but can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Or if anyone knows of an athletic club with indoor courts and a reasonable fee, can they please let me know? I live near Hayward.

Thanks!
Kevin B.

ferocious4hand
12-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, all the indoor courts in the bay area belong to a club. in the east bay Clubsport clubs offer the best indoor facility at Fremont and Pleasanton. Yes the fees are a bit high but its well worth it in the winter time. The competition is very good with a vast of players ranging from 2.5-6.0.
I myself live on the peninsula and where indoor courts are a premium. San Francisco Tennis Club claims to have the best facility in NorCal but comes in a hefty price tag, much more than the Clubsport clubs.
My advice to you is to visit Clubsport Fremont or Pleasanton and see for yourself or better yet have a member take you and play a few sets.

iconoclast
12-06-2006, 04:01 PM
...is a great place. it has 24 indoor, and 24 roof-top courts. if you want me to i can give you the name of the person who is in charge of membership.

GS
12-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Hmmm, the last time I looked, they only had 12 indoor and 12 outdoor courts. Hope they stay in business---things are getting touchy there.

billfark
12-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone.

Iconoclast - Thanks anyways, but SF is a bit too far for me to drive for tennis, and if the fees are higher than Clubsport, then it's out of my price range.

Ferocious - I was contacted by a guy at Clubsport Fremont, so maybe I'll hit him up and see if I can afford a membership. Any idea if Fremont members can use the Pleasanton facility, and vice versa? I'm near 880 and 580, so either one is fairly close (20 min drive w/o traffic).

I may end up just playing outdoors when I can and just hitting the exercise machines at work more often instead of playing tennis 4 days a week.

Kevin B.

iconoclast
12-09-2006, 09:05 PM
billfark, I didn't think about it, but it really is a drive just for tennis.

gs, you're right there are 24 courts: 12 and 12. It was a typo--didn't mean to give out wrong information.

raong
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
For an individual membership, you can pay an addl $20 for the Gold Membership, which would allow you to play at either Pleasanton or Fremont anytime.

Clubsport Fremont has 5 indoor courts, Clubsport Pleasanton has 10 indoor courts.