PDA

View Full Version : TT Warrior vs. Babolat Pure Drive

Derk
12-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I play almost a pure serve and volley game and want to find something to fit my style. I've seen and heard good things about both of these racquets. My friend has the Pure Drive and I got some insane volley control and manuvering out of it, plus I like the head speed. I was just wondering before I go off and buy one, how the TT war compares to it?

Noveson
12-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Play a pure serve and volley game, and use the PD? That is crazy, the PD and most Babolats for that matter are reknowed for their lack of touch. If you can control it with that stick just wait until you try an actual players stick. Nothing against the PD(I use one) but last stick you would want to try and s/v. I don't know much about the TT, so can't help you there, but I would really recommend getting the PD of your demo list:)

Derk
12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
what would you suggest then? I mean, I hit groundstrokes when I have to, but most of my better game is off serves and at the net.

louis netman
12-06-2006, 06:39 PM
No offense to the Bab and the Warrior, but there are many other, better S/V frames out there...

Derk
12-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Tell me then!!!!!

Revman
12-06-2006, 06:58 PM
The Dunlop Maxply McEnroe is a great S&V racquet. Just be sure to use a soft-string setup. I've found Wilson Sensation in the mains and Gosen Sheep Micro in the crosses to be great for touch and also arm-friendly.

hoosierbr
12-06-2006, 07:17 PM
A less demanding racquet which I hear is great for s&v is the Prince O3 White. That's about as close to the PD as you'll get in terms of specs and it's gotten really good reviews. I'll be trying it out myself this weekend along with the TT Warrior. I'm a s&v myself. The O3 is kind of an update to the Warrior.

There are a lot of great s&v sticks but if you like the PD most of them are probably too demanding or won't be to your liking.

LarougeNY
12-06-2006, 07:20 PM
i dont know which pure drive you're talking about
i have the almost new ones, the ones that came out b4 cortex, and i hate them
the volleying is terrible
but with the original PDs there was more stability and feel, much better
for s&v sticks i would reccommend my fav., the n61 95, along with the PS 95, but im not completely sure about that one, only hit around with it for half an hour.
just some suggestions.

bcsax123
12-06-2006, 08:13 PM
No offense to the Bab and the Warrior, but there are many other, better S/V frames out there...

TT Warrior MP is an awesome volleying stick...
LM Radical is good for serve and volley too.
N6.1 95 is also good, but you can buy both the Warrior and the Radical for the same price.

hoosierbr
12-10-2006, 10:10 PM
See my review for my in-depth notes if you like. As a s&v myself I'd highly recommend the Warrior. It lacks some pop on serve, for me anyway because I hit mostly flat serves, but kickers and slices were nice. Maybe adding leather or lead or stringing with something like gut would do the trick.

The O3 White is a stick I still can't figure out yet. I played better with it as time went on but found it lacked pop on the serve as well. Would like to try it with a leather grip.

Should note that both volley very well, edge to the Warrior. Serve accuracy and placement are much better with the Warrior too. If you like to kick your serves nice and high the O3 White would be a good choice.

Try them both if you can and then decide. You can do well with either one.

fuzz nation
12-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I can't tell you what you need, but I've tried to nail down what's good for a serve and volley frame for me and I can't top the Prostaff 6.1 Classic. It's relatively heavy for stability and control on volleys (and half-volleys), head light for maneuverability, and not too flexible so volleys and serves have nice pop and crisp responsive feel. A mid plus may be better suited than a mid for reaction volleys and quick exchanges.

The n6.1 95, yonex rds-001 and RD Ti-80, and Fischer M Speed are other potential candidates, but I've never tried the TT Warrior. The PD doesn't work for me, but if you like it a lot, go nuts! You might want to see if it's more composed, esp. at net, with a little more weight on it--lead tape comes right off if you don't like it.

mavsman149
12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
the warrior is a great volleying stick, I hate saying this because I probably mention it in every other post but the fischer m-speed is really nice at net too. I don't know if anyone else agrees with this but also the lm prestige mid I thought was a great serve and volley stick as well.