PDA

View Full Version : What would be an average ranking for playing Divison 1 college tennis

tennis life
12-06-2006, 07:31 PM
My goal has been to play division 1 tennis since i picked up a racquet. Something that worries me is that by the time i go to college, i wont be able to play D-1. What would be the average ranking in a section (Mid-atlantic,*******,etc) for a player on any Division 1 college team?
ps-i wasnt sure whether to post this in juniors or adults

migjam
12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Take a look at this site http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/ It should give you an idea of where some of the juniors are that are heading to D1 colleges.

cak
12-06-2006, 07:57 PM
You also might get more info on the Junior thread. I think there are prospective D1 players there. (Here is mostly old farts looking for our faded glory.)

moonshine
12-07-2006, 05:42 PM
In general, an average D-1 player will be a 5.5 or better. There are some exceptions, but that is a good way to look at it. Some of the teams have 6.0-6.5 players (Georgia, Stanford, Texas, etc), but an average team will recruit players at a 5.5 level.

moonshine
12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm sorry, I thought you were asking about RATING, not RANKING. In the Mid-Atlantic section, I know that pretty much all of the top 25 players are going D-1, but that is a really impressive feat for a "weaker" section. Top 15 of an average section will go D-1. Other high level players will go D-2 or D-3. The important thing to realize is that there is money for tennis players out there, but you have to be willing to go away (sometimes very far away) to find it.

migjam
12-08-2006, 02:20 PM
For D1, you really need to have a National ranking, at least for a good D1 school.

300Gkid
12-08-2006, 05:25 PM
I've heard top 20 in your section. But could be extended for better sections (AKA Florida Socal, Norcal ect)

10ispro
12-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Division 1 encompasses alot of schools. from big schools to some very small schools. Using Midatlantic as an example Loyola College, Morgan State, Coppin University are all Div1 and majority of their players are barely at a 4.5 NTRP rating.
If you are looking at bigger Division 1 schools like Illinois, Stanford, UCLA, USC, FLA, UVA, Vatech, Vanderbilt, Clemson then you need to he that being in the top 10 in your section is good enough b.c you are also competing against others in the Nation as well as international players.

tennis life
12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
so say i wanted to play at a Loyala College or Morgan State level,
what would my ranking in the mid atlantic have to be when im 18 to go to that level

10ispro
12-11-2006, 06:54 AM
so say i wanted to play at a Loyala College or Morgan State level,
what would my ranking in the mid atlantic have to be when im 18 to go to that level

this is a question you can answer very easily for yoruself.
Email or call the Coach of each school.

Coach for Loyola College I think is still Rick Mcclure and Morgan State is Derrick Mcmillian. Just email or call and express interest in their school and you need to kno what you need to focus on and where your ranking needs to be to be recruited or possibly get financial help

Otherwise, youre to continue to get a bunch of people responding to this thread who dont have a realistic knowledge of college tennis outside the top 10 Top D1 schools and you probally wont ever get your answer

SATennis
12-11-2006, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=10ispro;1111140]this is a question you can answer very easily for yoruself.

As a former D1 college player and coach, I would agree with this statement the most. There are so many D1 schools outt there at very different levels. Some have less than successful programs with very average players, where scholarships would be easier to find, others are so competitve, top players in the country would struggle to get full rides. The best thing to do is get an up-to-date resume together with all your tennis achievements. Then email as many coaches as you can, sending them your information. Be realistic when it comes to the schools you pick. If you are not a top junior but you are looking for scholarships, don't worry about the top 20 schools. Most top 75 schools will have tough players with the 4.5 scholarships spread amongst them, so it will obviously be easier to get better scholarships at programs that are not currently ranked in the top 75. It is really a question of how much scholarship money you are after.

Coaches will pay a lot of attention to junior ranking and your success in tournaments, but many coaches are also looking for potential. Even if your ranking is not as good as it could be, as long as you have the potential to improve dramatically under the right guidance and in the right environment (with a lot of hard work), many coaches will be interested.

tennis life
12-11-2006, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=10ispro;1111140]this is a question you can answer very easily for yoruself.

As a former D1 college player and coach, I would agree with this statement the most. There are so many D1 schools outt there at very different levels. Some have less than successful programs with very average players, where scholarships would be easier to find, others are so competitve, top players in the country would struggle to get full rides. The best thing to do is get an up-to-date resume together with all your tennis achievements. Then email as many coaches as you can, sending them your information. Be realistic when it comes to the schools you pick. If you are not a top junior but you are looking for scholarships, don't worry about the top 20 schools. Most top 75 schools will have tough players with the 4.5 scholarships spread amongst them, so it will obviously be easier to get better scholarships at programs that are not currently ranked in the top 75. It is really a question of how much scholarship money you are after.

Coaches will pay a lot of attention to junior ranking and your success in tournaments, but many coaches are also looking for potential. Even if your ranking is not as good as it could be, as long as you have the potential to improve dramatically under the right guidance and in the right environment (with a lot of hard work), many coaches will be interested.

just out of curiosity, where did you coach?

SATennis
12-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I was the assistant coach at UMKC in Kansas City while doing my MBA. It is definitely one of the weakest D1 schools I have ever seen, and we still got to the semis of conference. It really showed me how many different levels of tennis there are in D1.

BigJEFF
12-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I was the assistant coach at UMKC in Kansas City while doing my MBA. It is definitely one of the weakest D1 schools I have ever seen, and we still got to the semis of conference. It really showed me how many different levels of tennis there are in D1.

Do you know T rock he used to coach UMKC ... They have had a a few coaches over the last few yrs.... I didntthink thier were many 6.0 players in Kansas city I know Casey from Notre Dame is a 5.5 I think he might be the best in KC the guy is solid....

SATennis
12-14-2006, 06:37 AM
No, Don't know T rock. I am fairly new to Kansas City, been here for about 1.5 years. I definitely wouldn't say I am the best player in KC either. I would hope there are plenty of other younger and stronger players than me. Maybe a few years ago. I have heard of Casey from a couple pros out here, if he is really a 5.5, I'll bump myself down to 5.5.

cmb
12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
well casey was defenitly not a 5.5,

tennisboy87
12-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey SATennis,

Are you still an assistant at UMKC? I play at Saint Louis University, and we played UMKC last year and are traveling to Kansas City this year to play them. I was just curious if you are still there or were there last year?

tamdoankc
01-01-2007, 07:39 AM
I walked onto the UMKC team in '95-'96. That's when they still offered tennis scholarships and actively recruited. The team had a lot of foreigners but no one local to KC, a couple of Americans. Solid players from 1-6. Anyone could've played any position. I would've been 7 but saw it was impossible to balance school and sports and work so had to drop tennis. All the scholarship players were at least 5.5 if not 6.0s. One of the guys was a top ranked Austrian junior and another was from Japan.

KC actually has a lot of elite juniors that end up playing for a top end D1 school. A couple of private highschools (Rockhurst, Pembroke, etc.) are packed full of awsome players. Not sure about now though. If it's Casey Smith you guys are talking about, I think he went to Rockhurst.

Sagittar
01-01-2007, 07:42 AM
for a d-1 player , should have a minimium of 5 , 5.5 maybe 6 ..
wouldn't really know just guessing ..

Pusher
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
My goal has been to play division 1 tennis since i picked up a racquet. Something that worries me is that by the time i go to college, i wont be able to play D-1. What would be the average ranking in a section (Mid-atlantic,*******,etc) for a player on any Division 1 college team?
ps-i wasnt sure whether to post this in juniors or adults

I would guess maybe the top 10 guys will get a ride. About double that if you are a female (Title 9 kicks ***).

Sometimes the in-state D-1 programs will sign a local kid to shine on the alumni but if you're a 17 or 18 year old high school grad you are competing with euro pros for scholarship money.

A lot of ranked American juniors are walking on at D-1 programs hoping to get a chance to play. Its hard to keep the spirits up when you're paying full tuition and the 22 year old guy with the student visa from Croatia is living high.

Don't give up.

knasty131
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Well if this doesn't kill your dreams, then I dont know what does. When Baylor won it's "national" title, not one single person who played was American. Good luck buddy, beat the odds. It's all about the foreigners

Richard Pur
01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
A D-I college tennis player might show up on the Norcal or Texas Men's 4.0 team. : )

SATennis
01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Although I know it must be tough for local American players to get scholarships on D-1 teams, I am all about bringing the foreigners to the States. That's what makes D1 college tennis so competitive. And they do have rules about players ages and playing pro before college. Of course, always ways around those rules, but if foreigners weren't in D1 tennis, the standard would be levels below. I would blame title 9 instead of blaming the foreigners.

SATennis
01-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey SATennis,

Are you still an assistant at UMKC? I play at Saint Louis University, and we played UMKC last year and are traveling to Kansas City this year to play them. I was just curious if you are still there or were there last year?

I was the assistant last year, but no longer officially working with the team.

SATennis
01-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I walked onto the UMKC team in '95-'96. That's when they still offered tennis scholarships and actively recruited. The team had a lot of foreigners but no one local to KC, a couple of Americans. Solid players from 1-6. Anyone could've played any position. I would've been 7 but saw it was impossible to balance school and sports and work so had to drop tennis. All the scholarship players were at least 5.5 if not 6.0s. One of the guys was a top ranked Austrian junior and another was from Japan.

KC actually has a lot of elite juniors that end up playing for a top end D1 school. A couple of private highschools (Rockhurst, Pembroke, etc.) are packed full of awsome players. Not sure about now though. If it's Casey Smith you guys are talking about, I think he went to Rockhurst.

UMKC still offers scholarships and more than half the team is foreign. They have just had a problem with head coaches. It is a part-time position which means they do not get the pick of the crop, and they cannot build a program with part time coaches. The top players are decent, and they should do pretty well this year at conference, if the coach remembers to drive them there. But I don't think UMKC has ever been at top competitive D1 school.

Pusher
01-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Although I know it must be tough for local American players to get scholarships on D-1 teams, I am all about bringing the foreigners to the States. That's what makes D1 college tennis so competitive. And they do have rules about players ages and playing pro before college. Of course, always ways around those rules, but if foreigners weren't in D1 tennis, the standard would be levels below. I would blame title 9 instead of blaming the foreigners.

Tennis scholarships for non-americans is a great opportunity for many. It is not so great an opportunity for americans. The system has been abused by college coaches and I blame them and the NCAA. Its no wonder that college tennis programs are being cut back or cut out altogether. It's not about the competetion-its all about winning at any price.

Tennis_Gnat
01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, a good ranking would have to be a solid national ranking. A sectional gets you to some smaller D1 colleges, (I had a 130 sectional and could've got a scholarship at a small D1). But I essentially couldn't play at a good D1 unless I had a national. I might've been good enough, but they won't look at you without a national. So I'm at a really good DIII college now :) LOVE it.

tennis life
02-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Do you think Liberty University or Radford University would offer me a scholarship if my sectional ranking was say around 90 to 100???Im from virginia and my grades arent exactly UVA material and these seem like nice schools

smittysan89
02-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm attending DePaul University next year, unfortunately for me (I guess?), they are D1 and play in the Big East. Although they are around 70th in the D1 rankings, the quality of talent is still very high. Currently they only have two americans on the whole team. They just recruited three more incoming freshman who will graduate this year along with me. Two are four star and one is a three star recruit.

I was planning on just playing club for DePaul, improving, and then maybe trying to walk on, as much of a long shot as it might be, but you never know.

I would really enjoy playing tennis in college, but I already have a decent academic scholarship to DePaul.

Raiden.Kaminari
02-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Well if this doesn't kill your dreams, then I dont know what does. When Baylor won it's "national" title, not one single person who played was American. Good luck buddy, beat the odds. It's all about the foreigners

I have to agree here ... to get into a D1, you'd have to play the pro-circuit like the foreigners do/did. Tennisweek magazine had a huge group of articles about it, especially why all the tennis scholarships were not going to US kids.