PDA

View Full Version : Demo different from purchase?

Mr. Blond
12-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Hey guys, One of my students recently demo'd the O3 hybrid tour and the demo felt great, and he decided to order a couple of them. The purchase racquets feel somewhat different than the demos did though. This happen to anyone else?

thanks

jj300
12-07-2006, 07:12 AM
by felt do you mean when the player was playing with the sticks? if so its probably a different string or different tension. You never know how old the demo strings were unless they were brand new.

fbone
12-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Has to be the strings and tension...or going even further things like, grip size, dampeners, overgrip, added lead, etc. could effect the feel of the racquet. Any number of factors could be involved here.

tennisguy2121
12-07-2006, 07:28 AM
yeah alot of times what happens is the strings have loosened up quite a bit, so when they buy a new racquet of that kind, the tension is not the same as the demo. Other than that, there shouldnt be MUCH difference between the demo and the new racquet. The string should be the same, but crazier things have happened. Make sure it is the same gauge too.

tennissavy
12-07-2006, 09:07 AM
It has happened to me and it wasn't the string. The frames were different. The demo was better for me.

Jack the Hack
12-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm an experienced player, but this happened to me this summer.

I was using the Prince TT Bandit OS, customized with extra lead tape, and strung at 67 lbs using a kevlar hybrid. This setup worked well for me for about a year, but I needed something that was less powerful and more manuverable to match the higher level of play I was achieving.

I demoed about 8 or 9 different frames, including the Head Flexpoint Fire for 12 days. The Fire felt great on just about every shot and I ended up buying three of them. However, once I strung up the new frames, they played terrible. I really tried to give it a go (played about a month with them), but I just couldn't get used to the feel. I also ended up adding a bunch of lead tape because the frame felt too light and unstable. In the end, I think strings did have a lot to do with it. The demos I tried were freshly strung with 17g FXP Power, which I've since learned is a pretty nice playing multifilament. I was stringing my Fires with 18g Ashaway kevlar in the mains with 16g Prince Topspin in the crosses. Although I've used kevlar for years, in retrospect, I think that is what contributed to the horrible feel in the Fire.

Anyway, I ended up switching over to the Prince TT Warrior, which is just a dream of a racquet for me and meets everything I was looking for. Plus, they are so cheap now, I bought a half dozen of them. I also ended up ditching the kevlar and am enjoying the improvements in several modern co-poly and multi strings.

julian
12-24-2006, 03:00 PM
For Mr.Blabit
It happened to me couple of times:
check whether rackets bought have the same weight as the demo.
If they do NOT you have a right to complain to the manufacturer.
Rackets are MADE in China in multiple factories.
Practically no quality control.
See my posts about ncode/k-factor Wilson rackets
julian
juliantennis@comcast.net
www.julianmielniczuk.usptapro.com