PDA

View Full Version : shaving bumper gaurd

tennis-skater
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I have a pog MP and wanted to make it a bit lighter, I plan on taking off the leather grip and just using two or 3 overgrips. to balence this out would shaving the bumper gaurd help any? looking to get it down to about 11.4ounces (longbody would have been perfect if it was 27 and i didnt want to buy blind) if shaving will help what are the pros/cons and how can i do it?

TonyB
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I just weighed a few replacement headguards that I have. They average around 11 grams.

My guess is that you won't be able to shave off more than between 1-2 grams, if that, without completely destroying any protection that the headguard offers.

To me, that's not worth the effort or the risk of damaging your frames.

tennis-skater
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
no ill just take the leather off (from what i hear its about .8ounces)

alu16L
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Man, why shave it? Just don't use one at all. Those bumper guards are so overrated. I'd even go as far as shaving down some of the graphite of the racket and even the handle!!!

If you have to go to such extremes to make the racket feel good to you, you're looking at the wrong racket in the first place. Good luck with the sand paper, and try not to hurt yourself.

NoBadMojo
12-07-2006, 03:42 PM
many people dont understand the dynamics that small changes in weight make to a frame depending upon how the weight is concentrated. some people dont notice the difference that using a heavy string like poly makes..it can be multiple swingweight points which can seriously change the dynamics of a frame for those who can notice such things even though it isnt much static weight at all.
i play t10mp's1's with leather and trimmed grommets and they play markedly different than the frames do stock.
conversely, quite often you can also ruin the dynamics of a frame by trimming the bumpers..often those frames which are significantly headlight to start with dont take well to making them even more headlight
it's never a good idea to expose graphite where it can scrape the court unless you dont care about your frames, and trimming bumpers also is a function of what kind of bumper arrangement comes with a particular frame

psp2
12-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I have a pog MP and wanted to make it a bit lighter, I plan on taking off the leather grip and just using two or 3 overgrips. to balence this out would shaving the bumper gaurd help any? looking to get it down to about 11.4ounces (longbody would have been perfect if it was 27 and i didnt want to buy blind) if shaving will help what are the pros/cons and how can i do it?

It can be done easily. Just take off the bumperguard and use a sharp blade (utility knife, etc.).

I did it recently to my n6.1 tour.
Anyone care to guess the SW of the post-modified n6.1 tour90?

Static weight: 371g (13.1 oz.)
Balance: 11pts. HL

tennis-skater
12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
do i just pop the bumper gaurd out by pushing on the top grommets?

psp2
12-07-2006, 04:57 PM
do i just pop the bumper gaurd out by pushing on the top grommets?

You'll need a bit more muscle power than that. And, you'll need a needle nose pliers too. Just grip the end of the bumperguard and slowly pull it out.