PDA

View Full Version : The best Machine for a beginner?

hughsiss
12-08-2006, 12:49 PM
What is the best machine for a beginner stringer, that's not to expensive and is good?

Thanks
Hugh

snoflewis
12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
What is the best machine for a beginner stringer, that's not to expensive and is good?

Thanks
Hugh

dropweights are the most basic and have the least moving parts... SP swing, laserfibre, and gamma x-2 are solid.

max
12-08-2006, 02:41 PM
The Klippermate's an excellent choice, too.

The real question is how much volume you think you'll be doing. If you just want to do your own, from here on out, stick to the cheaper models. If you believe you'll be doing other folk's frames, now's the time to save a bit more and pop for a nice model. Now's the time for a bit of longterm thinking.

hughsiss
12-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the replys. I'm thinking about getting a more expensive one now.

theace21
12-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the replys. I'm thinking about getting a more expensive one now.

If you are really into tennis, that is probably a good idea. Try and set a budget. Prices jump rather quickly.

A cheap drop weight is under $200, a drop weight to a better mounting system is around $300. All these are with floating clamps, going fixed clamps is a huge jump to the $500 range. These are all portable/table top machines. Going to a stand alone machine will get you up to the 800-1000.

Just set a budget, it helps to figure/estimate how much you spend in string in a year. That is new money in your pocket (minus string cost), and you will end up with a few buddies for extra cash...

Good Luck

varuscelli
12-09-2006, 09:03 AM
One of the things I've seen here is that if you'll give the forum members a budget you'd like to work within, they're great at letting you know what the best buys are within that budget.

But without knowing your budget (from at least a rough standpoint), all replies are going to be necessarily somewhat vague. There are some huge differences, for instance, in "best buy under $300" and "best buy under $600."

Give 'em a number and see what you get. :)

hughsiss
12-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Ok, so say $450-$500 for a machine.

Redflea
12-09-2006, 03:05 PM
...A cheap drop weight is under $200, a drop weight to a better mounting system is around $300. All these are with floating clamps, going fixed clamps is a huge jump to the $500 range. These are all portable/table top machines. Going to a stand alone machine will get you up to the 800-1000....

Alpha Pioneer DC Plus is $399, and includes:

- Fixed clamps (diamond dusted)
- Linear string gripper
- Clutch and locking ratchet system on the dropweight
- 6pt mounting system

A great "intermediate" solution and the best pricing available on a machine w/those features. Excellent customer service, high quality...the Pioneer has the same 6 pt mount and turntable used on the $550 Alpha Revo crank....

hughsiss
12-09-2006, 03:15 PM
What do you think of this?

http://www.tennis****.com/ishop/677/shopscr4420.html

Replace the stars with 'nuts'

Young Pete
12-09-2006, 03:18 PM
as a beginner one must use an inexpensive drop weight with flying clamps and linear gripper. to get a feel for stringing with the least amount of options. then once the beginner has string at least 25-35 sticks, it is ok to move on to a glide bar drop weight setup, if the stringer has strung about 50-75 racquets at this point, he or she can invest in an inexpensive crank machine like that of an eagnas or a used alpha or gramma and maybe even a neos.

varuscelli
12-09-2006, 03:42 PM
as a beginner one must use an inexpensive drop weight with flying clamps and linear gripper. to get a feel for stringing with the least amount of options. then once the beginner has string at least 25-35 sticks, it is ok to move on to a glide bar drop weight setup, if the stringer has strung about 50-75 racquets at this point, he or she can invest in an inexpensive crank machine like that of an eagnas or a used alpha or gramma and maybe even a neos.

Do you mind if I add that information to the Stringing Machine Photo Library under "Initial Purchase Reference Material"? :p

:)

Redflea
12-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Do you mind if I add that information to the Stringing Machine Photo Library under "Initial Purchase Reference Material"? :p

:)

Hilarious...is there a humor section? :D

varuscelli
12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Hilarious...is there a humor section? :D

No, but I'm working on several "Lack Thereof" sections. ;)

WhiteSox05CA
12-10-2006, 09:02 AM

Doesn't that turn out to be about $490 in the US?

hughsiss
12-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah, it's about $490. What do you think of it white sox?

varuscelli
12-10-2006, 10:12 AM

Maybe I've missed this, but may I ask what country you're in? Your location will likely have some bearing on recommendations being made to you.

If you're looking at getting a relatively inexpensive machine but having it shipped a long distance, that's likely gonna make a lot of difference in the overall price. If you're in the USA, I'd buy from a company in the USA, unless there's some cost-effective option out there that I'm not aware of. If you're in Europe, that likely creates a whole different set of considerations.

hughsiss
12-10-2006, 11:44 AM
yeah I'm in England, sorry i didn't mention that. i have emailed alpha about how much it would be to have the pioneer dc to be ship to the uk.

dennis10is
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah I'm in England, sorry i didn't mention that. i have emailed alpha about how much it would be to have the pioneer dc to be ship to the uk.

If you are in England, the laserfibre is made in Holland and may be cheaper due to the weak US dollar. I had the cheapest crank for 100 USD 15 years ago as a grad student and learn to string my rackets between 72-75 lbs with it. Now, I have the top of the line laserfibre manual version and this one will probably last me forever. The laserfibre is expensive but has excellent service. I don't know who will be representing the company in Europe but the machine is a beauty. It is a drop weight except you don't have to worry about keeping the bar level, and it is constant pull, the string griper is a cinch and the craftmanship is excellent. You may want to look into the ECO version. It may be convertible to fixed clamps.

That said, my old machine worth 25 dollars now, could string a racket just fine and no complaints. A buddy of mine, had the same machine and he strings racket during tennis camps for the guests. The machine had no clearance to get your fingers underneath but he could string about 2 rackets per hour. It was amazing watching him thread the cross with apparently no room. Just goes to show you that it is all in the stringer and not the machine.