PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering conflicting information

Jerry Seinfeld
03-09-2004, 05:47 AM
On occasion, like yesterday, you will get a racquet and the suggested tension on the racquet will read something quite different than the USRSA Digest. For instance I had a racquet that said 65 +/-5 but the digest suggested 50 - 60. When you face this and the customer has requested the top end of the range, what do you do?

Just wonderin'

Gaines Hillix
03-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Jerry, I've also noticed some discrepancies, but I don't ever recall one that big. If it is a widebody OS(110" or larger) I would believe the 65 +/- 5. I would also try to find the tension range on the manufacturer's website as a 3rd source and pick the two that matched, if it's listed.

Rabbit
03-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Many times a racket will start off with a tension range that is 5 - 10 pounds higher than later made models. I think manufacturers back tension down based on warranty claims. I don't know that 5 - 10 pounds make that much difference when stringing a frame, so if it were me and the range was printed on the frame, I'd go with that.

The earlier ProStaffs had a tension range I believe 10 pounds higher than current ones. The C10, when it first came out, had a tension range 5 pounds higher than the ones produced today.

Since constant pull machines string 10% tighter reference tension, what does the number mean? Let's say I have a racket with a 50-60 pound tension range. If I string on a Babolat machine and string that racket at 60 pounds, then I should string that frame at 66 pounds on a lockout to get equal results. Tension then is just a number, a guideline by which you string. If you string a frame at incredily high tensions, say 25 pounds or more over max, then you might have a problem.

I have strung some Tour 10s at 70 pounds for some friends and never had a problem. One of my good friends used to play with a Prince Response strung at 76 pounds. He plays with the old maroon one and just recently gave them up in favor of the Tour 10.

Larry Baldridge
03-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Jerry--You might consider calling the racquet manufacuter if you see such a wide-range of discrepancy. I have found them always eager to be helpful.