PDA

View Full Version : Eagnas Flex 470- Good or Bad? Suggestions?

federermcenroeagassi
12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
hey everyone,

I'm looking for a machine, my dad is most likely going to finally let me get one for christmas/my birthday (february), but he doesnt want me to experiement too much with string combo's because i might not focus on the technical aspects of my game (strokes, strategy, and everything else). He knows that it will pay itself back, but is still a bit hesitant. Anyways, he told me to look for some, so thats what im doing...

one thing ive read is that fixed clamps are much better than floating ones, and i can understand why, however, im on a tight budget (less than 250, preferably under 200 USD). And i know that fixed clamp machines are upwards of $400ish... however, i want something basic, but functional. Im looking at a 6 pt mounting system, dropweight, with fixed clamps for a low price, a bit hard to find i guess. But i dont want something thats unreliable like a floating clamp or 2 pt mounting system (aka something thats too cheap to be worthwhile, if you get what i mean). i plan on stringing for my friends, kind of like a mini-business thing, but time isnt that much of a factor yet, so i dont need a professional or electronic one, unless its dirt cheap.

So the only one ive found so far that meets my needs is the Eagnas Flex 470 (http://www.eagnas.com/flex740.html#h610p). I dont know if there are any negatives of this machine, because i dont know a lot about machines, but i know some stuff (like mentioned above).

So what i need is some suggestions of what to look at, the +/- of this machine, and any other tips that you could recommend to me.

Thanks a lot!

btw, here's a pic of the machine...
http://www.eagnas.com/jpg/fl740ba3.jpg
US$219.00 and apparently comes with "free string and tools worth $75 value"

tennis-skater
12-09-2006, 05:45 PM
from what ive heard stay away from eagnas, i have a mutual power machine and im not completely satisfied with it but i am going to upgrade to a wise tensioning head so it will workout hopefully

federermcenroeagassi
12-09-2006, 05:52 PM
from what ive heard stay away from eagnas, i have a mutual power machine and im not completely satisfied with it but i am going to upgrade to a wise tensioning head so it will workout hopefully

no wonder it was cheap >:( lol thanks for the info, i did a search and found some bad comments. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

federermcenroeagassi
12-09-2006, 07:01 PM
guys, is the gamma x-2 worth it even though it has floating clamps and only a 2 pt mounting system? does it do a good job? i looked at the alpha pioneer dc, but at $399 its a bit steep.

thanks

edit: also, which is better; the klippermate ($145), gamma x-2 ($139) or SP Swing ($199)? im leaning towards the x-2, but need suggestions.

Redflea
12-09-2006, 07:28 PM
hey everyone,

I'm looking for a machine, my dad is most likely going to finally let me get one for christmas/my birthday (february), but he doesnt want me to experiement too much with string combo's because i might not focus on the technical aspects of my game (strokes, strategy, and everything else). He knows that it will pay itself back, but is still a bit hesitant. Anyways, he told me to look for some, so thats what im doing...

one thing ive read is that fixed clamps are much better than floating ones, and i can understand why, however, im on a tight budget (less than 250, preferably under 200 USD). And i know that fixed clamp machines are upwards of $400ish... however, i want something basic, but functional. Im looking at a 6 pt mounting system, dropweight, with fixed clamps for a low price, a bit hard to find i guess.

The cheapest machine that will meet your needs that I'm aware of is what I just bought several weeks ago, but it's going to cost you $399...Alpha Pioneer DC Plus. Read all about it here...great machine, I love it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=104946

If you go below $399, you aren't going to find what you have listed above...fixed clamps, 6 pt, dropweight, etc., from a reputable dealer who will provide high-quality support. At least I couldn't, and I looked pretty darn hard.

WhiteSox05CA
12-10-2006, 08:55 AM
What could possibly be wrong with it? It's metal.

The price to features ratio is huge. $220, fixed clamps, 6 pt. mounting system, linear gripper. Are their any other machines that offer the same features for a similar price?

Any one own one of these Flex 740's?

federermcenroeagassi
12-10-2006, 12:50 PM
my dad agreed that it would be better to get a more functionable machine rather than spend less than 200 for a crappy one (not crappy that it cant get the job done, but crappy that it will take much longer, waste more of your time, and wont be that great of a job). so i have a higher budget now... ;D

im interested now in the alpha pioneer DC or the laserfibre dropweigh (forget model #)t. im interested in the laserfibre because it, like alpha, has good customer support, but when your stringing, the dropweight doesnt exactly have to be horizontal, it can be off, and still get accruate results. downside is the cost. so how would you guys compare these two?

thanks

theace21
12-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Red Flea has a thread with pictures on his new alpha pioneer DC. Check out his thread!!!

WhiteSox05CA
12-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Red Flea has a thread with pictures on his new alpha pioneer DC. Check out his thread!!!

This one has all the same features for $220. Why would I spend $440, double??

meh
12-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Looks exactly the same as the MP Hercules 610 (down the tension bar sticker!), which is $100 more. Expect a rougher finish, some possible lapses in quality, and terrible customer support. Since you're a new stringer, I wouldn't recommend it to you, but if you have a friend who [really, really] knows his stuff and is willing to help you, then go ahead and take the risk. You have to be proactive and try to resolve any issues on your own if you plan on buying from Eagnas.

theace21
12-10-2006, 08:16 PM
This one has all the same features for $220. Why would I spend $440, double??
If it is such a great deal, then buy it...

theace21
12-10-2006, 08:19 PM
What could possibly be wrong with it? It's metal.

The price to features ratio is huge. $220, fixed clamps, 6 pt. mounting system, linear gripper. Are their any other machines that offer the same features for a similar price?

Any one own one of these Flex 740's?

Poor quality control, zero customer support - that is just a starter...

LttlElvis
12-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Federemcenroeagassi and WhiteSoxo5CA

As far as the Eagnas Flex 740 in particular, it seems like no one here has any actual experience with this particular stringing machine.

One guy here bought this machine for the mounting system only and put it on his Serrano machine:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83765&highlight=serrano

Do a search on Eagnas Flex 940. It is basically the same machine, but with a crank instead of the drop weight. I tried the Flex 940 once, and I thought it was pretty good. Everything seemed to be well made, however, the turntable appeared kind of thin. I have read here people saying the table can flex, if so... not good. There are alot of positive reviews of the 940.

I agree, you do get alot of machine for the money with Eagnas. However, with their customer service reputation here, it may be a gamble.

LttlElvis
12-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Looks exactly the same as the MP Hercules 610 (down the tension bar sticker!), which is $100 more. Expect a rougher finish, some possible lapses in quality, and terrible customer support. Since you're a new stringer, I wouldn't recommend it to you, but if you have a friend who [really, really] knows his stuff and is willing to help you, then go ahead and take the risk. You have to be proactive and try to resolve any issues on your own if you plan on buying from Eagnas.

meh,

It may actually be the exact same stringing machine. I have heard that the Mutual Power Owner/Distributor is a former Eagnas/Maxline employee. May or may not be true.

Mutual Power is in Houston, and I called to see if I could take a look at their machines. They just said they looked just like on the website, but I could come by and pick one up if I wanted to buy one. I got the impression it is a home operation similar to Eagnas.

varuscelli
12-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Mutual Power is in Houston, and I called to see if I could take a look at their machines. They just said they looked just like on the website, but I could come by and pick one up if I wanted to buy one.

Almost exactly the same thing they told me when I wanted to pay them a visit and see their machines in person while doing my research. If they're essentially Internet based, I understand. But I still felt a bit put off by that, if you know what I mean.

As a photographer, I book a lot of my own work via my the Internet. But if someone wants to come by for a consultation before making their final decision, I do everything I can to accommodate them. If I were to tell most of my prospective customers that my work "looks the same as on the Internet," for one, they would likely immediately strike me from their list, and at the same time I'd be doing myself a disservice because one of my biggest selling points is for people to see my work in person. But I don't sell stringing machines, so what do I know? ;)

Redflea
12-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Federemcenroeagassi and WhiteSoxo5CA

As far as the Eagnas Flex 740 in particular, it seems like no one here has any actual experience with this particular stringing machine.

One guy here bought this machine for the mounting system only and put it on his Serrano machine:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83765&highlight=serrano

Do a search on Eagnas Flex 940. It is basically the same machine, but with a crank instead of the drop weight. I tried the Flex 940 once, and I thought it was pretty good. Everything seemed to be well made, however, the turntable appeared kind of thin. I have read here people saying the table can flex, if so... not good. There are alot of positive reviews of the 940.

I agree, you do get alot of machine for the money with Eagnas. However, with their customer service reputation here, it may be a gamble.

That's the most obvious issue from the picture...the turntable looks flimsy. Hard to tell on the other parts from a picture, things like how the turntable is mounted, how solid/stabile the base is, clamp quality, etc. You'd have to have one "in hand" to really see.

eunjam
12-10-2006, 09:38 PM
go to the string forum dot net. there is a review from 10/06 about the 740. it makes sense.

eagnas distributor maxline has lousy support. but i read somwehre that australia eagnas distributor is great.

don't remember where i read that from.

racingdad23
12-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I own the 940. After advising a friend he purchased a 740. Ive strung just over 100 raquets with my Flex 940 and had zero problems. I went over showed my friend how to use his and actually strung his first racquet on it. He now has done about a dozen himself. Neither of us have had any problems. As for Maxline there has been some problems posted the about bad customer service in the past but I havent seen any of these in a long while. There are alot of owners of Eagnes machines here but I think there are just tired of answering this same question over and over again.....

There just isnt another stringing machine on the market with the features (fixed clamps and 6pt mounting) at anywhere near the cost. The Flex 740 should be a good first machine for you if you are on that kind of a budget.

Most of the problems have been with Maxline direct. If you search I believe there is another dealer of Eagnes if that concerns you.

theace21
12-11-2006, 07:15 AM
If they wouldn't try and market 78 different configurations of machines and cut it down to under 10. They probably would be more successful. Several of their models have had zero or minimal problems, several have had many complaints on this board. They just import machines and sell them. No R&D, no customer support department. They get them in and sell them. If price is the only factor, then they should be at the top of your list.

federermcenroeagassi
12-11-2006, 12:53 PM
i dont know guys.. but i dont want to take a big risk on eagnas to save $... i think ill stick with the alpha

Ben42
12-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I owned the 740 for a brief time. I could have lived with the minor fit and finish problems, but the fact that the tension arm would sieze up under tension meant that the machine couldn't pull the same tension twice in a row. It would pull anywhere from -10lbs to +15lbs on every string.

What made matters worse was that Maxline wouldn't honor the warranty. When I e-mailed them to ask how they wanted to address the problem they told me that an Eagnas stringer could only be calibrated with an Eagnas calibrator. Then they told me I should just lower the arm very, very slowly.

Needless to say I sent it back and (after disputing the charge with my credit card company) got a refund.

I know some people here have had decent machines from Eagnas, but I wouldn't take the risk.

federermcenroeagassi
12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I know some people here have had decent machines from Eagnas, but I wouldn't take the risk.

exactly how i feel ;D

Young Pete
12-11-2006, 09:34 PM
i dont know guys.. but i dont want to take a big risk on eagnas to save $... i think ill stick with the alpha

dude check out the eagnas model EAG-700le its a super buy.
http://www.eagnas.com/upright.html#EAG700LE
you can get it at a big auction site for 50-100 less. forget about a table top machine, why not get a fixed clamp / glide bar setup and crank tensioner for about 350!!!!!!!
its just like a prince neos only wayy cheaper!!!! In my opinion the best bang for your buck!!!!

I own a prince neos by the way...

theace21
12-11-2006, 09:51 PM
dude check out the eagnas model EAG-700le its a super buy.
http://www.eagnas.com/upright.html#EAG700LE
you can get it at a big auction site for 50-100 less. forget about a table top machine, why not get a fixed clamp / glide bar setup and crank tensioner for about 350!!!!!!!
its just like a prince neos only wayy cheaper!!!! In my opinion the best bang for your buck!!!!

Weird looking mounting system. More of a cross brace.

Young Pete
12-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Weird looking mounting system. More of a cross brace.

if u find the support / crossmember kind of lame forget it and just get a two point.
i change my mind about the 700le if you are on a budget get this instead:
http://www.eagnas.com/eag300.html
and its fifty dollars less!!
a generic prince neos!!!!

varuscelli
12-11-2006, 10:15 PM

So, what have I got to do to convince you to send me a few digital photos of the Neos for the photo library? ;)

I can always use another person's visual perspective on any given machine.

Al Ruscelli
vruscelli@houston.rr.com

Young Pete
12-11-2006, 10:25 PM
i gotta get a digi cam first!!

Koz
12-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Guys, Eagnas machines are low quality. You aren't buying a rebaged Alpha or Gamma at a cheaper price. You're buying an inferior, weaker, less accurate machine with shoddy craftsmanship. There are members here who have ordered an Eagnas machine, and recieved a machine with rust on it, or a machine where the bolt holes don't even line up. They had to *modify* the machine just to assemble it! Even when you get it assembled, there's a fair chance that it won't pull the correct tension.

Floating clamps aren't that bad IMO. I have a Gamma Progression 602 with floating clamps. It has a sturdy 6 point mounting system, and a great ratcheting tensioner. The clamps work pretty well IMO. I'd go with the Gamma or Alpha in your price range. I'd say if you go with the Eagnas, there's greater than a 50% chance that you'd regret it.

Redflea
12-12-2006, 04:52 PM
As always, you get what you pay for...few exceptions to that rule. :)

varuscelli
12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
i gotta get a digi cam first!!

:shock:

I thought digital cameras were so ubiquitous that everybody had one built into their forehead for convenience (er...like me). :p

OK, once you get one, please keep my request in mind. :)

LttlElvis
12-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Guys, Eagnas machines are low quality. You aren't buying a rebaged Alpha or Gamma at a cheaper price. You're buying an inferior, weaker, less accurate machine with shoddy craftsmanship. There are members here who have ordered an Eagnas machine, and recieved a machine with rust on it, or a machine where the bolt holes don't even line up. They had to *modify* the machine just to assemble it! Even when you get it assembled, there's a fair chance that it won't pull the correct tension.

Floating clamps aren't that bad IMO. I have a Gamma Progression 602 with floating clamps. It has a sturdy 6 point mounting system, and a great ratcheting tensioner. The clamps work pretty well IMO. I'd go with the Gamma or Alpha in your price range. I'd say if you go with the Eagnas, there's greater than a 50% chance that you'd regret it.

http://www.photostringer.com/eagnas_hawk_01.htm

Perhaps I was lucky, but my Eagnas has not had one problem. I have looked at many machines and it is well made and does an extremely consistent job. I purchased this machine before these message boards were around so I really did not know of the Eagnas reputation at the time. Their website wasn't as large and the choices just weren't there. The machine I got was the Hawk 800, which was one of their staple machines at the time. Perhaps this is why I had no problems whatsoever.

Though it is relatively inexpensive (about $550 at the time), it was and still is a lot of machine for the money. It is very well made and I can see it lasting forever. I wouldn't say it is weaker, inferior, and it definitely is not less accurate than other machines. I have had practically no maintenance for this machine. The mounting perhaps is antiquated since it is a six point screw down rather than a floating mount. But nevertheless, it holds a racquet very stable.

I believe Eagnas has spread itself too thin, with too many choices. Add that with a staff really not wanting to explain the differences in machines and you get a very poor reputation. Can you imagine if they concentrated on maybe 10 machines only? Quality control would be a no brainer and they would blow the competition away. However, they supposedly are the world's largest machine distributors so the low price is good enough for many.

I did not have one problem with my order, and when I recently ordered some stringing tools, everything went smoothly again. It's funny though, since I hear so much negative against them from these message boards, I too would tend to shop elsewhere, even though my personal experiences have been nothing but positive.

Thanks to varuscelli, I think I want a Gamma 6004 for my next machine, not that I even need one. Right now it would be like getting a new car when you don't even need one.

Audiodude
12-13-2006, 04:38 AM
http://www.photostringer.com/eagnas_hawk_01.htm

Perhaps I was lucky, but my Eagnas has not had one problem. I have looked at many machines and it is well made and does an extremely consistent job.
Thanks to varuscelli, I think I want a Gamma 6004 for my next machine, not that I even need one. Right now it would be like getting a new car when you don't even need one.

Even though you consider your machine to be well built, if you do end up purchasing a 6004, you'll be absolutely amazed at the huge difference in build quality, as well as fit and finish. I briefly owned an Eagnas Hawk 80 and was appalled at the poor build quality, not to mention the laughable mounting system.

barry
12-13-2006, 06:26 AM
Even though you consider your machine to be well built, if you do end up purchasing a 6004, you'll be absolutely amazed at the huge difference in build quality, as well as fit and finish. I briefly owned an Eagnas Hawk 80 and was appalled at the poor build quality, not to mention the laughable mounting system.

Recently, I strung on a 2 point 6004 and other than the better mounting system, see very little difference from my cheap Eagnas Flash 925. I try out a lot of tennis stringing machines, so have done my homework. I give Gamma credit; the 2 point system is fast and easy to use. Many would be surprised who actually builds the 602 series for Gamma, as you know Gamma is a value added reseller and does not produce any of their machines.

I have to ask, what exactly is build quality, and how does it effect stringing? Stringing technique is far more important than whose name is on a stringer, plus any machine that pulls consistent tension and clamps without slipping will produce a great string job.

So far the 6004 2 point ranks right up there with the Prince Neos! I think both are at the top of my list.

LttlElvis
12-13-2006, 07:01 AM

Out of curiosity, what kind of problems did you have with the mounting system? My Hawk 800 and the Hawk 80 look like the same type. Admittedly, I think the screwdown system is somewhat antiquated compared to the floating mount systems now, and it does take some time to mount a racquet, but I cannot complain about the stability of the racquet once it is mounted. As far as poor build quality, I don't see that either. It is simple, and all metal and nothing fancy, but it is built like a tank.

The finish and esthetics of the Gamma do appear incredible, but I doubt my overall quality of string job will be different if I use the same techniques and care.

jj300
12-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Recently, I strung on a 2 point 6004 and other than the better mounting system, see very little difference from my cheap Eagnas Flash 925. I try out a lot of tennis stringing machines, so have done my homework. I give Gamma credit; the 2 point system is fast and easy to use. Many would be surprised who actually builds the 602 series for Gamma, as you know Gamma is a value added reseller and does not produce any of their machines.

I have to ask, what exactly is build quality, and how does it effect stringing? Stringing technique is far more important than whose name is on a stringer, plus any machine that pulls consistent tension and clamps without slipping will produce a great string job.

So far the 6004 2 point ranks right up there with the Prince Neos! I think both are at the top of my list.

barry,
wow, did you really just ask, "what is build quality?" Let me ask, what car do you drive? Is a hundai the same thing as a honda? is a honda the same quality as a acura? Is toyota the same quality as lexus? NOOOOO, build quality means that the screws are lined up, the paint isn't blemished, the machine is not doa at the door. Build quality is what seperates babolat from eagnas and alpha from mutal power. Are you gona next tell everyone that babolats are piece of crap eagnas machines just with the babolat logo? How can you weight in on which machine is better and which is worse when you don't even know what build quality is all about? Stringing machines come from few factories, but each costumer picks their QUALITY control standards, don't even try to tell me that babolat has the same standards as eagnas, or toyota same as lexus, or hundai same as honda or acura.

barry
12-14-2006, 02:12 AM
barry,
wow, did you really just ask, "what is build quality?" Let me ask, what car do you drive? Is a hundai the same thing as a honda? is a honda the same quality as a acura? Is toyota the same quality as lexus? NOOOOO, build quality means that the screws are lined up, the paint isn't blemished, the machine is not doa at the door. Build quality is what seperates babolat from eagnas and alpha from mutal power. Are you gona next tell everyone that babolats are piece of crap eagnas machines just with the babolat logo? How can you weight in on which machine is better and which is worse when you don't even know what build quality is all about? Stringing machines come from few factories, but each costumer picks their QUALITY control standards, don't even try to tell me that babolat has the same standards as eagnas, or toyota same as lexus, or hundai same as honda or acura.

Actually you are incorrect on the Lexus and Toyota analogy. Many of the parts on the vehicles are the same. My wife’s Lexus came with the same tires my Toyota Camry came with. And the battery, spark plugs, oil cap, etc… was the same, so much for the lame comparison. Maybe you call it low quality control, but often manufacture interchange parts.

Balbolat is at the top of the stringer heap for design, features, and innovation not because it cost the most. The discussion was about build quality, and since I have an Eagnas machine and have recently used a 6004 feel very comfortable posting my findings. The 6004 had a better paint job at $1100; yes it beat the Hawk 80 paint job for $300. But once again you missed the point; both machines can produce a consistent string job which means customers have an option based on their budget.

Rather than trashing other peoples post, you should comment on the build quality of your Revo verses Aria? Your perception of a quality could be a flawlessly painted tool, but my view is how well it works. Quality has more to do with satisfying customer expectations and varies by individual.

Time for work, 10 more rackets to string this morning before 9 AM. I am really amazed my $450 low “build quality” Eagnas machine can turn out 100’s of string jobs without any problem. This message board use to review stringing machine and feature and discuss newer innovations; but now it is all about whose name is on the machines.

As the late great Louis Sullivan said “Form follows function”.

Audiodude
12-14-2006, 04:57 AM

Build quality basically refers to the fit and finish of parts and the way they're assembled. I'm sure you already know this, though. While better build quality doesn't neccesarily guarantee better results, it does (for me) make the experience of interfacing with the machine (stringing machine, or otherwise) more enjoyable. I guess it all comes down to whether you appreciate craftsmanship. The smaller, more precise body gaps of a Lexus compared to a Toyota will not make point A easier to get to from point B. But the improved tolerances do speak to better, more precise, build quality.

That Gamma is not a manufacturer is a meaningless red herring. The tolerances they specify and are willing to accept, along with the materials quality, are what matters.

BstonBruin
12-14-2006, 05:47 AM
I have the Flex 840...never had a problem with it

rod_b
12-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Without getting into an argument about which is better than which, I'll just put in my $.02

Eagnas Flex 940 owner for about 3 months now...~50 rackets strung...no issues...much happiness from the people I've strung rackets for.

martymule
12-14-2006, 03:03 PM
I've been an EAG-700 owner since 1996. I love it and I've had no problems. That stringer has paid for itself at least 5 times over and it's actually one of the best purchases that I've ever made.

fastdunn
12-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Eagnas machines are fine especially considering their prices.

Most issues reported actually are related to customer service of their
distributor Maxline.

Their customer service has no problem as long as things are executed
as planned. If something unusual issue arises, you're on their
mercy. And sometimes they communicate with customers in a very
unique way, if I put it nicely.

Despite this risk, I have used Eagnas/Maxline a few times partly because
I just live around the corner from their warehouse. And I never expected
anything from their customer services like other more expensive places.

Their bottom line is clear: as long as the price is the rock bottom,
customers will come. It actually works fine that way and they know it very well.

And AFAIK, the head of Maxline is a relative(brother?) of the owner of Lily Lee& Co
which is manufacturer of Eagnas and other stringing machine.
This might help us understand why Maxline is acting that way sometimes,
if you know what I mean.