PDA

View Full Version : How can I find out if my section has a "Timed Match" rule

travlerajm
12-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I had a USTA 9.0 mixed league match that didn't finish because the indoor facility closed when the score was 7-6,6-6.

I'm in the PNW section. Does anyone know if we are required to resume the match at a later date, or if we should use the "Timed Match" rule, as detailed in the excerpt below that I found in another section's rules?

Where individual matches are not played to natural conclusion, the captains shall report scores on Tennislink exactly as they stood on court when play stopped:

1. If due to forfeit or default, enter 6-0, 6-0 and use the “Default” code.

2. If due to expiration of time, mark the match as a "Timed Match" (TM).

3. If due to injury or physical condition that makes it impossible for a player to continue, mark the match as “Retirement” (RE)..

4. For purposes of League Standings, no individual or team match may end in a tie – the winner will be determined and reported on Tennislink according to the following:

In the first set

- If in the first set the winner of the most games in that set shall be awarded the set, and the match.

- If in a first set tiebreak, proceed to “In the match tiebreak” below.

- If not in the tiebreak and the teams have won an equal number of games, then the team that has won the most games in the entire team match shall be designated as the winner.

- If still tied, the captains flip a coin to determine the winner.

In the second set

- If in the second set and neither team is ahead by 2 or more games, the winner of the first set shall be declared the winner of the match.

- If one team is ahead by 2 or more games in the second set, that team shall be awarded the set. If that creates a tie match (“split sets”), then the winner of the most games in that match shall be declared the winner.

- If still tied, then the team that has won the most games in the entire team match shall be designated as the winner.

In the deciding match tiebreak

- If in the 10-point match tiebreak, the tiebreak must be completed or it does not count except as specifically described below.

- If the 10-point tiebreak is not completed but 6 or more total points have been played in the tiebreak and one team is ahead by 2 or more points, then that team shall be awarded the tiebreak.

- Otherwise, if the 10-point tiebreak is not completed the winner will be the player(s) who have won the most total games in the first 2 sets.

- If this fails to break the tie, then the team that has won the most games in the entire team match shall be designated as the winner.

- If still tied, whichever team is ahead in the match tiebreak wins the match.

tennis-n-sc
12-10-2006, 05:18 AM
I personally have never heard of this rule. You have to remember that there are National rules, sectional rules, district rules and local rules. And there is a pecking order with regard to overlap. In other words, a local rule cannot supercede, or alter, a district rule. I am not sure how sectional rules vary over the country since I have only played in the Souther section. In our area, matches are played to completion, and if interrupted by weather, time or other factors, they will be rescheduled and completed promptly. So, you may be dealing with a local or district rule. Quite frankly, a match that would have been played to completion outdoors should be played to completion, period. Very strange rules.