PDA

View Full Version : Won a tournament but bad mannered?

jamumafa
12-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Recently I won a tourney. Now this was my first tourney after 2 years of injury, which I prepared for seriously

As it turns out I ended up winning it ( Wasn't too big of a tounrey though) and in the final i won 2-6 7-6 (5) 7-6 (10)

Now as you can see that last breaker was a good-un. As I won the last point, I fell on the floor ( a la Nadal 2005 RG) as a joke to say how tired I was. I got up after 2 seconds, and ran to the net as so not to keep my opponent waiting.

As I came off court, some pople commented on how it was unsportsmanlike of me to fall on the floor after winning. I wasnt too sure.

Feedback?

fishuuuuu
12-11-2006, 07:33 AM
People are idiots, and you can celebrate your win however you want (as long as its not rude).

Chauvalito
12-11-2006, 09:23 AM
People are idiots, and you can celebrate your win however you want (as long as its not rude).

Agreed, and congratulations

Lleytian3
12-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Nope you did the correct thing. they were probably just mad, becuase yo beat the hometown favorite. i wouldve done sum lleyton hewitt + rafael nadal stuff n been yellin all over the place.

Also a class act, by not staying down on the ground for too long and running up to the net. Very classy.

Congratualtions, hope you win many more

brayman9
12-11-2006, 11:26 AM
I agree with the others that was fine 2 seconds on the ground is such a short time

jamumafa
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Also a class act, by not staying down on the ground for too long and running up to the net. Very classy.

It's from experience. I lost a painful match which meant I didnt get out of my round-robin group and the other guy did. While I stood at the net - it seemed he was on the floor for 10 years lol, but it must have been about 15 seconds, and that annoyed me.

Thats kinda why I was in doubt if falling on the floor is acceptable or not.

Thanks you guys

LASVEGAS ACES
12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I assume you were not floping around like the catch of the day, or spinning on your head like a break dancer on cardboard? Or is that next?

As long as you let your opponent know you enjoyed the game, and were looking forward to next time, it could be o.k.
Just think how you would react to the same; Your name in tournament tennis is your most important key, protect it.

Geezer Guy
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM
I know the pro's always make a deal of falling down and rolling around, and maybe that's OK for a Grand Slam.

For winning a local tourney, though, just trot to the net and shake your opponents hand. Act as if this isn't the first one you've won, and you expect to win a lot more.

Venetian
12-15-2006, 11:03 PM
It doesn't matter what lvl tournament it is. He can fall to the ground if he wants. It's perfectly alright.

People take sports way too seriously. Jump around and do back flips if you feel like it. I'd love to watch that.

rrhstennis
12-15-2006, 11:26 PM
It doesn't matter what lvl tournament it is. He can fall to the ground if he wants. It's perfectly alright.

People take sports way too seriously. Jump around and do back flips if you feel like it. I'd love to watch that.

Yeah, it is, but I think Geezer Guy wasn't saying that it's a really bad thing, I think he was just saying it's not the best action necessarily, and I can see that. Point is, just be respectful and if that's what you really want to do, go for it. But at the same time, don't do it just for show, you know?

goober
12-16-2006, 08:41 AM
who was commenting on how unsportmanlike it was- your opponents parents?

I don't think it is that big of a deal as long as you don't overdo it.

jamumafa
12-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Nah they weren't his parents. They were the parents of my hittings partners other hitting partner

J-man
12-16-2006, 01:45 PM
I would have done the same thing. It's no big deal you did the right thing. There's nothing wrong with a little celebration. You deserved it anyhow.

andyroddick's mojo
12-16-2006, 02:50 PM
yeah, if it was like an easy match for you, it might have been unsportsmanlike, but this was a third set tiebreaker! what level are you?

LASVEGAS ACES
12-17-2006, 05:09 AM
I'm telling you, your new name around tennis will have
"......what a jerk (or worse)...." attached real quickly.

brayman9
12-17-2006, 07:00 AM
that seems crazy how can i spread that much i doesn't sound like that big of a deal. I think they were just a little mad but it is all over and everyone else forgot. Celebrate all you want.

Kabob190
12-19-2006, 10:32 PM
you are in your right to celebrate after winning a tourney. hell, id rather have my opponent celebrate after beating me because it at least means that he tried his hardest and it meant something. anyways, sounds like you didnt overdo it. they can talk all they want, you won. congratulations.

SoBad
12-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Nah they weren't his parents. They were the parents of my hittings partners other hitting partner

Oh so their boy/other boy didn't even make it to the final, no wonder they're all bitter. You're fine, celebrate however you want.

OrangeOne
12-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Agreed with most that it's fine - especially if it's a show of exhaustion! I'd rather someone do that against me than yell and scream and dance about!

Duzza
12-20-2006, 01:31 AM
I hope to win a tournament one day.....JK :D I won one a few days ago but the court was en tout cas so I would have gotten dirty.

NbladeTopspin
12-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Recently I won a tourney. Now this was my first tourney after 2 years of injury, which I prepared for seriously

As it turns out I ended up winning it ( Wasn't too big of a tounrey though) and in the final i won 2-6 7-6 (5) 7-6 (10)

Now as you can see that last breaker was a good-un. As I won the last point, I fell on the floor ( a la Nadal 2005 RG) as a joke to say how tired I was. I got up after 2 seconds, and ran to the net as so not to keep my opponent waiting.

As I came off court, some pople commented on how it was unsportsmanlike of me to fall on the floor after winning. I wasnt too sure.

Feedback?

Ahh, their all jealous

Good job !!:grin:

Nextman916
12-25-2006, 07:17 PM
I probably would have asked they had ever watched professional tennis on tv?

IT WAS IN!!!
12-25-2006, 07:47 PM
that was very celebratory but since you ran up and didn't keep him waiting it was very acceptable

hey the worst that ever happened to me was 4 years ago when i had just begun and I played a novice tournament my opponent beat me 6-0 and he said right to my face " Hey Duncan (the head of the tournament) i thought i was going to get some competition!)" then his mom didn't even do anything about it. I played him recently and destroyed him and he didn't know who i was. So I said hey remember me *****hole!
I know it was out of line :mad: but it felt soo good:D

me is bored
12-28-2006, 11:08 PM
lol ive done that twice be4 lol it was fun =]

EasternRocks
06-07-2007, 09:45 AM
there is no right for ppl to say that you had bad sportmanship becasue it shows that you are very happy in your victory. in many usta tournaments too. i've been to super nationals and when i saw the champion he was crying in joy and lying on the floor. he actually put a fist pump at the guys face. no one complained.

*i do the same thing when i win too...lol

StealthGnome
06-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't win enough to be able to do that.

Bundey
06-10-2007, 01:06 PM
that was very celebratory but since you ran up and didn't keep him waiting it was very acceptable

hey the worst that ever happened to me was 4 years ago when i had just begun and I played a novice tournament my opponent beat me 6-0 and he said right to my face " Hey Duncan (the head of the tournament) i thought i was going to get some competition!)" then his mom didn't even do anything about it. I played him recently and destroyed him and he didn't know who i was. So I said hey remember me *****hole!
I know it was out of line :mad: but it felt soo good:D
Haha, F$$$ yah!