PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing grip size, any succesful stories ?

andirez
08-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Using the Wilson sheet, I am a clear 4 1/2. However, I don't seem to be comfortable with either my eastern backhand grip and my serve grip (varies from continental to eastern backhand). It just feels as if I can not get a firm grip on the handle. I have tried to increase my grip, went to 4 1/2 + overgrip and also tried 4 5/8. The 4 5/8 was clearly too big, while it is great for forehands, I lost the tiny bit of feel I had with my backhand grip. Slice backhands on the other hand worked pretty well.

So yesterday I picked up an old racquet with a 4 3/8 grip. While, according to the grip size rules, this is definitly too small for me (middle finger touching handpalm if I squeeze hard enough), my backhand grip felt incredibly firm. For the first time I could really feel the bevels in what I think is a correct way.

What do you make out of this? Should I decrease my grip on my playing racquet or will I open myself up to numerous of injuries due to playing with a too small grip? Anyone went to a smaller grip with positive results?

andirez
08-17-2004, 02:37 AM
I'm actually thinking now that it might be the butt cap that is giving me problems. On a 4 3/8 it is noticable slimmer compared to a 4 1/2...

andirez
08-17-2004, 03:18 AM
I'm actually thinking now that it might be the butt cap that is giving me problems. On a 4 3/8 it is noticable slimmer compared to a 4 1/2...

Well, I know I'm quoting myself... but what the heck ;)

Anyway, I have a 4 3/8 which has its grip size increased to 4 1/2. Thinking about this, I thought why not cut the heat shrink sleeve where the butt cap starts so that you have a much smoother transition from butt cap to handle. So I took out a razor and cut off the part of the sleeve that was covering the butt cap. The difference is amazing, this feels fantastic and my backhand grip never felt firmer. The butt cap has become an extension of the handle instead of a seperate part.

Guess this thread can be closed, it has been a monologue from my part but I hope somebody finds this information useful :)

Virgilio
08-17-2004, 08:09 AM
It was interesting, though. Perhaps, for those of us who got a 4 1/2 and think it's kinda big, they could just take the cap off and replace it with head tape to make it thinner. I've heard of people doing this and they enjoyed the feel and size of the newly made grip.