PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Guitar Please Help!

PHSTennis
08-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi can someone please help me choose a guitar im 16, im willing to spend up to $150 if its really a good idea or necessary... letme know if its better to spend a little more or something if anyone knows about guitars im taking a guitar class next year and planning to learn tabs right now .. funny. Any books sites or something to get me started this summer would be cool because I cant wait to start playing... been to many concerts and love the electric.. I play to start acoustic.. will someone give me suggestions on a guitar? Thanks

I found IJV50 JamPack Quick Start
Product #519456

at

http://www.guitarvision.com

For $99

but I plan on getting my guitar at Guitar Center... is there things to look for? I have no clue.. so any help would be gladly appreciated :) thanks a bunch!

Aonex
08-17-2004, 08:55 AM
If you're going acoustic, you might want to spend a little more in getting a solid spruce top guitar. They just sound a lot better, and that helps when you're starting out cause you can immediately appreciate what you're playing. I play classical so the books I've used probably wouldn't be able to help you out. Check out www.music123.com, they've got a large selection of guitars, so at least you'll know what to look for when you hit up your guitar center. Other people on this board could chime in about guitar brands, but as far as lower priced guitars go, they seem about the same to me.

Aonex
08-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Oh yeah, when you get to guitar center, make sure to haggle with the salesperson about the price, also have the guy throw in some strings, maybe a stand, possibly even a large discount on a case or gig bag (if you plan on getting one). They're really flexible when it comes to that.

Ace
08-17-2004, 12:50 PM
get basic tab from www.olga.net

sometimes is actually accurate.

as an experienced guitar player....and a not so experienced tennis player.... spend more time taking up tennis...i'm 35 and wish all the time i spent playing guitar when i was your age was spent playing tennis! haha, but to each his/her own.

lendl lives
08-17-2004, 03:12 PM
well you can get a good mexican strat for cheap. try looking for a used one.

KingBugsy
08-19-2004, 07:53 PM
As a pro guitar player of 25 years, (endorsed by Mesa Boogie, GHS, Seymour Duncan, and Brian Moore Guitars).... I would tell you it is not possible to get an electric guitar (new anyway) that is worth anything or playable in the $150 range. The guitar will be so poor, that is will HINDER your ability to learn. I have seen students get discouraged by their lack of progress only to find out that the guitar was so poor that not even an experienced player could play on it!

If you are going to GC, then the best cheap guitar (that I know of) will be the Fender Mexican Strat. I actually bought one to smash around. I believe they are about $300 brand new. I would save your $150.... till you can save a total of $300 and go for a Mexican Strat. Be warned that it must be the MEXICAN version of the strat... the Squier versions and others I have seen are very poor.

If you look on **** you may be able to find a Mexican strat in the $150 zone?

Good luck with your music!

cristian p
08-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I agree with KingBugsy, save up your money and buy something decent. Settling for something cheap and poorly made will only lead to frustration, and you’ll want to upgrade (if you decide to stick with playing) immediately, which will make that initial purchase worthless. Believe me, I’ve seen it happen many times – and that applies not only to guitars, but tennis racquets as well. I was very, very fortunate to learn on a Taylor 810 – absolute joy to play on, and even my screw-ups sounded great.

I’d stay away from those “value packs” that are being sold. They are very low quality stuff. If you’re looking acoustic, I’d definitely recommend getting a solid top. You’ll notice a definite difference in sound as compared to a laminate. Unfortunately, I don’t think you’ll get a solid top for $150… you’ll be spending at least a few hundred. I’ve heard people swear by Seagull guitars in that low-price range group, but I’ve never played any of them to give any comments. I’ve played some decent Takamines under $400, and of course the Washburn 10S has been around for a while and it seems to be popular with a lot of beginners.

If you’re going electric, I also agree with KingBugsy’s comments. Squier’s ProTone series in the mid to late 90s used to be very good actually, great bang for the buck. Unfortunately, they discontinued those and now you can pretty much bank on anything with Squier on the headstock will be of very, very poor quality. I don’t know if the Yamaha Pacificas are still being sold, but they were the best sub-$300 electrics that I’ve ever played, again great bang for the buck. Unfortunately, there’s not much else out there worth mentioning. You’ll have to step up to the MIM (made in Mexico) Strats to find something decent for cheap, although still, the MIM Strats aren’t all that.

As with tennis racquets, you need to extensively try out the guitars first-hand to see if the particular guitar suits you. Indeed, I’ve noticed even significant differences in the same model guitar in the same shop, especially among acoustics. Although I know more folks are buying guitars over the internet and on **** these days, I don’t think I could buy any guitar without playing it first.

KingBugsy, just curious what Boogie(s) you’re using… I’ve been a pretty longtime Mark IV user…

Tenny
08-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Funny we are discussing guitar, not tennis.
I've bought a very good condition (almost perfect) Fender Standard Fat (Mexican) Single-Single-Humbucker plus a little bit used condition hard case for $240 incl. SH on ****. I was lucky. As for acoustic, I'd like to recommend Taylor big baby (Slight small body, excellent sound). It comes with a bag for about $300-340. You may want to try ****. I agree. You better start with a good one. Good luck!

Tenny

PHSTennis
08-20-2004, 03:48 PM
I sold 2 of my racquets now I have around 300 range I can get more from work and stuff so what guitar should I get I've played with tabs before and can play a little. I think I need an acoustic for school -_- that sucks so what acoustic would be a good choice?

PHSTennis
08-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Oh by the way what amp should if I get electric? Well lets say I dont have a price range but want to spend as little as possible what should I get electric , amp , acoustic can I have your inputs on those 3 thank you.

KingBugsy
08-20-2004, 06:33 PM
PHS- Dont have a recommendation on acoustics in that price range. (Maybe Takamine has a lower model that might work for you?) It would be good for you to go and play any guitar model you are thinking about, and multiple guitars of the same model if possible. Unlike tennis rackets, not all guitars with the same model name play the same! Tech 21 makes a great little 10 watt amp called the "Trademark 10" that I recommend. Great distortion and clean sounds.

cristian - I play both a Dual Rec, and Rectoverb single Rectfier. I prefer the tone of the single Rec over the Dual Rec. You can check out pics of my set up at: http://www.carlroa.com/ampsandeffects.asp The Mark IV is a great amp.... It's on the wish list!

gmlasam
08-20-2004, 07:40 PM
As a pro guitar player of 25 years, (endorsed by Mesa Boogie, GHS, Seymour Duncan, and Brian Moore Guitars).... I would tell you it is not possible to get an electric guitar (new anyway) that is worth anything or playable in the $150 range. The guitar will be so poor, that is will HINDER your ability to learn. I have seen students get discouraged by their lack of progress only to find out that the guitar was so poor that not even an experienced player could play on it!

If you are going to GC, then the best cheap guitar (that I know of) will be the Fender Mexican Strat. I actually bought one to smash around. I believe they are about $300 brand new. I would save your $150.... till you can save a total of $300 and go for a Mexican Strat. Be warned that it must be the MEXICAN version of the strat... the Squier versions and others I have seen are very poor.

If you look on **** you may be able to find a Mexican strat in the $150 zone?

Good luck with your music!Are you a studio muscian or a member of a known band?

KingBugsy
08-21-2004, 05:17 PM
gmlasam - I do both... I play in an "underground" progressive rock band called Magic Elf.

Geppetto
08-23-2004, 09:51 AM
I agree that the Mexican-made Fender Stratocaster is a pretty safe bet. You also may want to check out the Ibanez "Artcore" series guitars: They're made in China, have excellent build and finish quality, are semi-hollow, and have two humbucking pickups. I've tried out the AFS75T (Editor's Pick award in Guitar Player mag.) and AS-73 models at Guitar Center, and really liked the way they played and sounded for the price - varying from $275 - 325 depending upon the store (or online). Very versatile in terms of being good all-around for jazz, blues, rock tones. I'm a tube amp fan, but the cheapest good one I know of (Fender Blues Jr.) runs about $389 at Musiciansfriend.com. If you're into heavier-sounding stuff, you can get the most sonic bang for your buck with a Crate solid state, but I don't know much about the sound quality, so you would want to play through one first. A really good starter/practice solid state amp I tried out at Guitar Center was the Vox Pathfinder 15R (with reverb, which can add a bit more depth to your sound if not overused). Goes for about $129 or so. Check out the Harmony Central website for user feedback on any guitar or amp you might be interested in. Some users post off-the-wall reviews, but you can get the general idea from reading a bunch of them (look for the level of experience of each revewer in terms of years played).

cristian p
08-23-2004, 01:17 PM
There are a lot of good suggestions that have already been mentioned. The Tech21s are very good amps for their price, although I prefer the Vox Valvetronix if going the modeling route. I'm just a big Vox fan in general. The Pathfinders, as well as some of the low end solid-state Marshalls were pretty decent in my experience. I used to have at one time a Fender Deluxe 90, which I used primarily for practice, that I liked. Had that typical Fender clean sound, although the gain/distortion was fairly mediocre. Loud as hell too. If you gotta have tubes, then, as noted above, the Blues Jr. would be the cheapest you can get. At the end of the day, though, it's all a matter of personal preference and what sounds good to you. I'd suggest just playing everything you can get your hands on in the store and go from there -- ignore the name on the headstock or on the grille or what anybody says or thinks about the guitar/amp, and just trust your ears and hands.

The reviews on the Harmony-Central boards may be helpful, but obviously you have to take them with a grain of salt. Just like everyone here seems to think that they're a 5.0 or 5.5 and the stick that they use is the greatest ever, a lot of folks there seem to think they can outplay SRV, Hendrix, Page, and Gilmour with one arm tied behind their back, and their Squier Affinity Strats are just as good as a PRS. You just have to be able to weed through the nonsensical stuff. The HC message boards can be an absolute zoo.

Tenny
09-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Sorry, PHS
I gotta ask this question...
I have been a fan of Allan Holdsworth who is orginally british but now based in LA. He played with Tony Williams, Van Halen, Bill Bruford, Eddie Jobson, John Wetton, Vinnie Colauita, Chad Wackerman, Jean Luc Ponty (the list is endless). Probably one of the most respected guitarists in the world. Especially I love his tone-not the synthAxe tone (why would a guitarist want to play like a keyboardist with keyboard tone???). His guitar tone. Very long sustain, distortion (but not dirty. It's very clean sound), very smooth and thick (he doesn't use single coil pickup). I am not sure if you guys know him but I have been wondering how to re-create his sound with my cheap/basic setup/boss pedals (or is it impossible??). I have a fender Mex Strat (SSH), fender bassman 25, a distortion pedal (Boss), a multi effctor by Korg. I am not a musician so don't want to expand my rig too much. If you know what I mean by his tone, can you give me some hints?

BTW, PHS, you may want to check Taylor Big baby. And also, used Martin can be found around $400-500 range if you try hard. Good luck.
T.

Lindsay16
09-05-2004, 04:09 PM
this is a good site to look at....

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

PHSTennis
09-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks :p 2 weeks... Lets just say I cant play some chords and Adam's Song.. !