PDA

View Full Version : Sampras shows he still has game

jasonbourne
12-11-2006, 10:25 AM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/104/story/63226.html

Pete Sampras has lost some of his hair since his days as the world's best tennis player. He doesn't appear, however, to have lost much of his game.The 35-year-old Sampras headlined the St. Luke's-Idaho Elks Rehabilitation Services (SLIERS) Tennis Shootout on Friday night at Qwest Arena and defeated American pro Robby Ginepri 7-5, 6-3.
He looked like the Sampras of old — or at least the Sampras of four years ago when he retired from competitive tennis.
"When he does some of those overhead shots, I remember those shots," said Boise's Donna Bari, one of the estimated 2,500 fans in attendance.
Sampras, who began playing more this year after going three years without picking up a racket, also displayed his picturesque serve and pinpoint forehand.
"I still want to play good tennis and be competitive for the crowd," said Sampras, the all-time leader in Grand Slam titles with 14. "I'm hitting three, four days a week as opposed to once a week. I'm starting to hone it in a little bit and starting to hit the ball real good."
Sampras lost to Ginepri in Houston earlier this year. They play again tonight near Atlanta.
"He looks more fluid and smoother with his stroke," said Ginepri, a 24-year-old who has two wins on the ATP Tour. "The serve is always going to be there. With the motion that he has, it's never going to break down."
Ginepri said that with a few more months of practice Sampras could crack the top 30 on tour. But Sampras said he is content to play friendly matches.
"I'm just glad I'm starting to play tennis again," he said. "I still have a lot of passion for the sport, still working hard at the sport, but not like I used to. I'm having fun with it. This is what it's all about, giving back to the sport that's been so good to me."
Sampras and Ginepri staged a clinic for several hundred local kids Friday afternoon and stayed for almost a half-hour to sign autographs after the exhibition.
"It was a good match," said Elaine Wolfe of Boise. "It's good for Boise to have that kind oftalent come here."

jasonbourne
12-11-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/sampras_ginepri_121006_c.html

"A man's got to work," he said. "I still have a passion for the game. Playing tennis adds structure to my life." Hearing that Andre Agassi has been seen on the tennis courts only so shortly after his retirement at this year's U.S. Open, Sampras was taken aback. "I was shocked. After I retired, I didn't want to pick up a racket for months. … I've got to talk to [Agassi] in the next few months.”
Sampras brought a steady and confident game here, delivering booming aces, well-placed spin serves and razor-sharp returns. Of course, he was helped by the glossy super-fast SportCourt surface that played like the basketball court it was covering up. On one down-the-middle winner, Ginepri didn't have enough time to move five feet to get his racket on the ball. In his fifth set on both sides of the continent in 24 hours, Sampras did not seem winded in the least.
Though his backhand got a little loose in the second set, it was Sampras' personality and wit that was loose throughout the evening. When Ginepri couldn't run down a drop shot, he tossed his racket across the net. Pete didn't return it, but picked it up and tossed it deep into the crowd.
There is no doubt the sold-out crowd had one thing on its mind: throwing down its love on Sampras. MC Wayne Bryan boomingly announced him as "the greatest player ever" and the Atlanta fans showed their appreciation for his accomplishments as much as for his legendary running forehand.
Few interviews with Sampras don't include the questions about how he would stack up against Roger Federer. Sampras admitted that Federer is well on his way to breaking all the Californian's records. "Federer's a tremendous player. He's won Wimbledon and he stays back."
Sampras seemed upbeat on the state of men's American tennis, citing the success of Andy Roddick, James Blake and Ginepri. But, he conceded, the glory days of the 1990s – Sampras, Agassi, Courier and Michael Chang – will be hard for the US to repeat.
The Slam that eluded Sampras – Roland Garros – is still a subject he thinks about. "I should have tried a bigger racket. I'm a stubborn guy and I didn't want to change. There are some places where you feel comfortable and ones where you feel a little bit extra pressure."
Often criticized for not playing enough preparatory European clay-court tournaments, he said he tried playing just a few in some years and numerous ones in others. "But, neither strategy worked," he added a bit glumly about the only jewel missing from this champion's crown.

jm4121
12-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I went to the exhibition match in Boise on Friday night. Pete won 7-5, 6-3. He was playing great, much better than their first exhibition match. He won the first set with huge groundies and some spetacular volleys. The second set was vintage Pete with his huge serve dictacting play. I know this was only an exhibition, but the level of play was supberb, and Pete was sharp (especially on the super fast court).

My opinion is that Robby wasn't playing 100% at first, as Pete started very slowly. But after the first 5-6 games, I believe that Robby and Pete played at a very high level. I will post a link for some pics, but they are not great quality as my camera is old and cheap.

jm4121
12-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Here is link to pics, sorry for the poor quality:

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...&addtype=local

Feña14
12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
That's fantastic that he's playing well. During the 1990's I used to love Sampras, everytime he played against Agassi I used to cheer for Pete.

I think Federer is a better player than Sampras but i'm glad he's back and hitting the ball well. There are new fans to the game that will be watching Sampras for the first time in his career in these exhibition matches so it's good that he's showing them what he can do, aswell as reminding his old fans exactly what we are missing!

CanadianChic
12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
When someone has that much skill can they ever really lose it? Age may slow them down but they will always be a force to be reckoned with on the court.

jackson vile
12-11-2006, 11:20 AM
I was front row, it was strange to see these guys as I have never seen any famous peopl everlol They just seemed like regular guys. Robby was really short and Pete looked to be almost my height. One of the big differences that I saw was in the rackets, you could tell their rackets were giving way way more into the shot even thogh some of the college players say had better serve ect than Robby?

Pete was really happy and smiled a lot during that match, they were playing on tiles so it was very fast and flat.

Pete's serve is amazing so flat fast and it lost no pace after bounce, he played just like on tv. But his serve was different not as deep and foot work was different.

You could tell Pete had one heck of a heavy racket

As for Robby the only thing that he had that tooked nice was his back hand, his serve arm motion was really bad, aslo Robby is bowlegged.

You could tell right away Robby was playing with a relatively light racket, it was not as solid and got knocked around a bit from Pete's serves and some ground strokes. It looked and sounded like Robby used a Hammer type of setup?

Robby was in a really bad mood from what seemed like from the start, Pete got him good on a volley return and Robby smiled for a second and that was itLOL

IMO I really don't understand what sets someone like Robby apart from some 5.0+ players, he did not seem that good at all, especially his serve.

IMO that score doesn't tell the full story IMO it was very one sided.

Do you really have to be good to play pro tennis? Or do you have to have the time money and recovery abilities to survive the tour?

bribeiro
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
You're delusional jackson vile, I watched Ginepri front row seats at the us open and he looks much better than any college player I've ever seen, he was serving 125 bombs constantly, and his groundstrokes looked phenomenal.

Bjorn99
12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
You have to be partly insane to be a pro. Putting up with all the crap. Plus you probably have to spend 500,000 bucks to get to the first tournament, or your parents do. And from then on, you have to spend ten bucks to make 15 to twenty. Still, it is fun when you are playing the matches. Everything else is a full snore, except the groupies, they can be a lot of fun.

I have made a fair amount of money playing tennis, but spent more. The smart thing I did, was collect all the contacts who I met, who have large dough. Now I connect with them and do deals with them. Made it all worth it. I teach kids not to expect to make tons of money on the tour, but to find every rich wannabee and get their email address and phone number.

Bjorn99
12-11-2006, 11:34 AM
And how good is Ginepri? Hmmm. He is really a moody guy. If he is feeling good physically and mentally he can wear you down. But if he isn't feeling all there, he can be had by anyone on the tour pretty well.

carrwash13
12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
As for Robby the only thing that he had that tooked nice was his back hand, his serve arm motion was really bad. It looked and sounded like Robby used a Hammer type of setup?

IMO I really don't understand what sets someone like Robby apart from some 5.0+ players, he did not seem that good at all, especially his serve.

First off ginepri has a good serve and there's nothing wrong with his motion. It's just more abbreviated and how people are now starting to serve. He plays with Babolats that are painted to look like the pure storm....not a hammer setup. Exhibitions are usually always set up and pre-decided who is going to win. I'd bet money that was the case here.

West Coast Ace
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Some people just can't let go... So Sampras can still win on a ginned up, super slick surface against a guy who's enjoying his offseason - oh, boy. Better buy stock in the company that makes Depends! Tennis fans worldwide won't be able to control their bladders.

The slurs at Ginepri are uncalled for. He's got game - just not a Top 5 one. For a kid from Stone Mountain, GA, hardly a Mecca of the sport, he's having a nice career.

austro
12-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Sampras really should be joining the seniors tour! I hope this is what he is gearing up for.

cantstopme
12-11-2006, 12:47 PM
OK....westcoastace Robbie doesn't have a top five game. Andy Roddick does and two months ago after the US Open Pete thumped him in straight sets at the Elton John classic.

Yes these are expo matches, but you think Andy and Robbie don't want to win against arguablly the best ever????? Trust me, they are playing out there

Chadwixx
12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Sampras really should be joining the seniors tour! I hope this is what he is gearing up for.

I dont watch alot of the senior tour (would if it were ever on tv) but dont they play mostly on clay?

jackson vile
12-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Robby struggled out there against Pete big time, and had a lot of FE. He got knocked around ect.

And yes Robby's serve looked very weird and his forehand was good but not a weapon to any degree, his back hand was very nice.

His serve would sit right up, I am suprised that Pete did not make more return winners than he did, but he did have a good deal of them.

To the other person
A hammer type steup is where the racket is head heavy with a very high swing weight and the static weight very high ie Carlos Moya, no one ever said anything about him not using bab lol

You don't know much about rackets and it shows

Robby used what looked like almost all wrist to hit his serves, very bad form

Eviscerator
12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/104/story/63226.html

"I still have a lot of passion for the sport, still working hard at the sport, but not like I used to. I'm having fun with it. This is what it's all about, giving back to the sport that's been so good to me."
Sampras and Ginepri staged a clinic for several hundred local kids Friday afternoon and stayed for almost a half-hour to sign autographs after the exhibition.
"It was a good match," said Elaine Wolfe of Boise. "It's good for Boise to have that kind oftalent come here."

That is what makes Pete and athletes like him a true class act.

carrwash13
12-11-2006, 03:11 PM
You don't know much about rackets and it shows

Robby used what looked like almost all wrist to hit his serves, very bad form

You obviously don't know much about tennis......

"IMO I really don't understand what sets someone like Robby apart from some 5.0+ players, he did not seem that good at all, especially his serve."
"Do you really have to be good to play pro tennis?"

HAH, anybody who knows anything about tennis knows theres no comparing a top 15 player and a 5.0 + player. And the guy obviously has a good serve. You can't have a bad serve and win 80% of your service games in the pro's.......very bad form?...I won't even comment on that one

carrwash13
12-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes these are exo matches, but you think Andy and Robbie don't want to win against arguablly the best ever????? Trust me, they are playing out there

I know they are playing but if you've ever talked to anyone whose ran an expo you'd know that alot of the time they are pre-decided....the promoters want to make sure the crowd gets what they want and they let the players know....

BaseLineBash
12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Wimby '07, you better believe it.

jackson vile
12-11-2006, 04:26 PM
I know they are playing but if you've ever talked to anyone whose ran an expo you'd know that alot of the time they are pre-decided....the promoters want to make sure the crowd gets what they want and they let the players know....

No this one was not-predecided at all, don't get me wrong Robby had some really good shots but you could see that he was simply over powered and many of the times just could not get back, the ball was so low and fast he simply did not have a chance.

You are a nooby and it shows

jackson vile
12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
In the second set there were many times where Robby attempted to crank up the juice on his serve and ect and even at one game had 3 aces (some how lol), but he got creamed and was very upset

WhiteSox05CA
12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Sampras = MY HERO!!

Bjorn99
12-11-2006, 05:58 PM
A friend of my dad's ran the best exhibitions ever. Connors, Borg, Vites, McEnroe. He partied with them all, roomed with Vites for a year. I had a chance to meet him on several occasions and he generally said that they were cool with splitting the first two sets. But the third was generally real.

OrangeOne
12-11-2006, 06:06 PM
A friend of my dad's ran the best exhibitions ever. Connors, Borg, Vites, McEnroe. He partied with them all, roomed with Vites for a year. I had a chance to meet him on several occasions and he generally said that they were cool with splitting the first two sets. But the third was generally real.

Who is this Vites you talk of? Probably would help people to believe your BS stories if you could at least spell the names of the legends correctly...

superman1
12-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Ginepri at his best is very good, but he's not used to playing serve and volleyers, especially not of Sampras' caliber. He probably got knocked around because Sampras' game works by keeping his opponent off balance. You watch Agassi's matches against baseliners and he can get into a nice rhythm and run them around. Then you him play Sampras, and he is constantly off balance, throwing his entire body to reach for shots. Without Sampras, Agassi probably never would have had so many back problems. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but still.

West Coast Ace
12-11-2006, 06:18 PM
OK....westcoastace Robbie doesn't have a top five game. Andy Roddick does and two months ago after the US Open Pete thumped him in straight sets at the Elton John classic.

Yes these are expo matches, but you think Andy and Robbie don't want to win against arguablly the best ever????? Trust me, they are playing out thereYeah, that's what I'm telling you.

Which part of 'exhibition' are you struggling with? They get paid to SHOW UP, and allow their names and likenesses to be used to SELL TICKETS, not to win!

If Sampras could beat them straight up he'd be back on the ATP Tour. In a nanosecond.

carrwash13
12-11-2006, 07:14 PM
You are a nooby and it shows

Hey Too Cool.....sorry I'm a "nooby." I was too busy playing tennis in college while you were busy sitting at your computer working on your 3000+ post count. But yeah...I'm a 5.0 so I guess your complimenting me....I'm just as good as Robby Ginepri in your book

superman1
12-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm telling you.

Which part of 'exhibition' are you struggling with? They get paid to SHOW UP, and allow their names and likenesses to be used to SELL TICKETS, not to win!

If Sampras could beat them straight up he'd be back on the ATP Tour. In a nanosecond.

They are not at 100% mentally, they do not have that same focus at in real matches, but trust me, they are hitting the ball as hard and as well as they can. These guys have been trained since childhood to WIN MATCHES. Once you see that the guy on the other side of the net is trying his hardest to beat you, you tend to take it seriously. This is not some charity event where they make jokes after every point and do crazy moves for the crowd's enjoyment. As jackson vile said, Ginepri was dead serious throughout the match.

Accept the fact that Pete Sampras is a pretty decent player, and that on a good day he could still take out a pro.

Polaris
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Ginepri at his best is very good, but he's not used to playing serve and volleyers, especially not of Sampras' caliber. He probably got knocked around because Sampras' game works by keeping his opponent off balance. You watch Agassi's matches against baseliners and he can get into a nice rhythm and run them around. Then you him play Sampras, and he is constantly off balance, throwing his entire body to reach for shots. Without Sampras, Agassi probably never would have had so many back problems. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but still.
I think that Sampras could win the match because it was an exhibition/charity event. In a real match, I would expect a tough match, but favor Ginepri to win. Its just that I don't think that Sampras skill and limited practice is enough to compensate for Ginepri's day-in-day-out professional tennis routine.

Between Sampras and Roddick, I have even less doubts that Roddick would have won (easily) if the match had not been an exhibition.

[Edit:Oops,looks like we posted at almost the same time. Still, I don't know jackson_vile, so I cannot bank on his/her judgement that Ginepri was being serious. After all, it is their job to "appear" serious and not make it seem like it is an exhibition ;) ]

Bjorn99
12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Vites was the pet name for Vitas you complete schnook. Have you ever added anything here of any value, OR INTEREST. NO, just little schnook remarks, which is understandable, because you are a full fledged, schnook.

JW10S
12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm not so sure exhibition matches are the best measure of a players form. Sampras strugglesd big time this summer in WTT. Courier is lobbying hard to get Sampras to play on his seniors tour next year. That might be interesting...

Phil
12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
It does my heart good to see Sampras get semi-serious about returning to the game. Even if he's not playing on the ATP main tour, it's a great treat for the fans to continue to see this guy play.

EliteNinja
12-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Wimby '07, you better believe it.

Word up!

Heck, can you imagine him making a surprise wildcard at Roland Garros?
I mean basically, if he just takes a shot and loses, it's no big deal.
But if he wins (0.001% chance to win), Federer would have a lot of work to do be GOAT.

Dark Victory
12-12-2006, 12:42 AM
I'd like to see Pete on the Senior's Tour because at this stage in his life, that's where he belongs.

But I wouldn't completely rule out a one-time comeback.

Who knows? Maybe he'll play Queens and get a wildcard at Wimbledon.

Yes, he's always saying "it's not going to happen," but you kinda sense that he's playing again not only to enjoy the game, but also to test the waters in preparation for real competition. He won't say it outright, but he's seriously thinking about it.

Bjorn99
12-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Damn straight he is looking to see if he can take on Federer. Anyone who doesn't read into this, doesn't know the real Pete Sampras. A friend of mine who was obsessed with Pete and his game, ultimately got a job as one of his entourage for a while. He was completely turned off by the guy and thought he was one of the coldest, rudest people he had ever met. Said every second word was a curse. And was not very friendly, EVER. Those are his observations, not mine. But I believe him.

Phil
12-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Who is this Vites you talk of? Probably would help people to believe your BS stories if you could at least spell the names of the legends correctly...
Hey, OrangeOne - He don need no stEEkin spellin'...he IS a legend.

And, I'll have you know that you're talking to a guy who's "made a lot of money in tennis", and is currently teaching juniors the doube secret techniques of the Federer Forehand. So...show some respect for your betters, gosh darnit!;).

The Gorilla
12-12-2006, 05:23 AM

you're very pernickity about your spellings aren't you?The fact that this poster has mispelled a name has no bearing on what they are saying,you picking up on it is petulant and immature.

Punisha
12-12-2006, 05:48 AM
federer sampras wimby final plz...

jackson vile
12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Hey Too Cool.....sorry I'm a "nooby." I was too busy playing tennis in college while you were busy sitting at your computer working on your 3000+ post count. But yeah...I'm a 5.0 so I guess your complimenting me....I'm just as good as Robby Ginepri in your book

And yet here you are :rolleyes: 5.0 in your dreams :mrgreen:

Bjorn99
12-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks Gorrilla, posters who lurk and bash and never contribute anything of ANY interest, obviously annoy you as well. thanks

Kaptain Karl
12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I know, but I cannot resist....

you're very pernickity about your spellings aren't you?
It's "persnickety", you monkey!

- KK

carrwash13
12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
And yet here you are :rolleyes: 5.0 in your dreams :mrgreen:

Yea...2 years a member and an occasional post here and there...its called having a life. Your probably just a poser who spends his time on a message board to make himself feel like a tennis player. Try actually playing instead of just spending your time on the computer and then you can pretend to know what you are talking about......5.0 in reality...where do you live....If its near WA I'll prove it.

capriatifanatic
12-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I am no Ginepri fan but to equate him to a 5.0 player is outrageous. If he really did look like a 5.0 player vs Sampras then both were taking it amazingly easy since even the retired Sampras is still much better then a 5.0 player even today.

Marius_Hancu
12-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the update.

No surprise for me, he beat ARod only 4 years ago.

Dedans Penthouse
12-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I know, but I cannot resist....

It's "persnickety", you monkey!

- KK

If you as a moderator can get away with that, I should be able to get away with this:

you chimpanzee!

lol

a guy
12-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Why do I get the feeling every single one of your posts is a lie...

Kaptain Karl
12-12-2006, 01:36 PM
If you as a moderator can get away with that, I should be able to get away with this:

you chimpanzee!

lolYikes! (Maybe my attempt at humor didn't work....)

- KK

jackson vile
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Yea...2 years a member and an occasional post here and there...its called having a life. Your probably just a poser who spends his time on a message board to make himself feel like a tennis player. Try actually playing instead of just spending your time on the computer and then you can pretend to know what you are talking about......5.0 in reality...where do you live....If its near WA I'll prove it.

Says the little boy with a cartoon hamster avatar, lol dream on 1.5

Tell you what, you think you are good, post a video in the tips forum and prove that it is indeed you, and not your dady :p

Bjorn99
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Do you ever trade stocks on these feelings? Cause if you do, you probably have a lot of tax loss positions to dispose of.

OrangeOne
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey, OrangeOne - He don need no stEEkin spellin'...he IS a legend.

And, I'll have you know that you're talking to a guy who's "made a lot of money in tennis", and is currently teaching juniors the doube secret techniques of the Federer Forehand. So...show some respect for your betters, gosh darnit!;).

You make a good point, I should indeed bow down to Bjorn99, his impressive ability to (talk BS) coach and all of his stories about (his supposed money) the pros he's actually met - they're all so fascinatingly (creative) true...

Anyways - it's all OK now, as Bjorn99 has indeed met and made nice with Gorilla, as per the below.... a somewhat perfect union, I'm sure you'd agree! :)

Thanks Gorrilla, posters who lurk and bash and never contribute anything of ANY interest, obviously annoy you as well. thanks

Bjorn99
12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I have dated some of the most beautiful women in the world, played and partied with some of the best players and enjoyed it all. Is that a crime in your books OrangeONE? Guess so. And you know what I enjoy here? Great, over the top tips, great video and inside anecdotes. Endless debate about who is better he or she, bores the substance out of me. You bore me. I have never read one single interesting thing out of you, besides your schnooking. Guess it takes all types to make a board, but couldn't you go haunt a football board? Isn't that what they like?

babySuri
12-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Sampras is old.

carrwash13
12-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Says the little boy with a cartoon hamster avatar, lol dream on 1.5

Tell you what, you think you are good, post a video in the tips forum and prove that it is indeed you, and not your dady :p

Alright, put your money where your mouth is....I'll bet you $100 I am what I say I am and I'll put a video clip up if you agree to take the bet. I'll also be able to prove its me in the video. We'll give the money to a non-partial third party via paypal and whoever wins collects the money. Deal? If you say no or don't respond I'll take it as you admitting I'm right.

OrangeOne
12-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I have dated some of the most beautiful women in the world, played and partied with some of the best players and enjoyed it all. Is that a crime in your books OrangeONE? Guess so. And you know what I enjoy here? Great, over the top tips, great video and inside anecdotes. Endless debate about who is better he or she, bores the substance out of me. You bore me. I have never read one single interesting thing out of you, besides your schnooking. Guess it takes all types to make a board, but couldn't you go haunt a football board? Isn't that what they like?

Can you make a single post without desperate attention-seeking claims? No.

I, like most people here, think you're full of....err....schnook.

lambielspins
12-13-2006, 03:39 AM
I actually love carrwash13's avatar. :) I hope he wins the $100 too since I definitely believe what he is saying.

West Coast Ace
12-13-2006, 04:39 AM
They are not at 100% mentally, they do not have that same focus at in real matches, but trust me, they are hitting the ball as hard and as well as they can. These guys have been trained since childhood to WIN MATCHES. Once you see that the guy on the other side of the net is trying his hardest to beat you, you tend to take it seriously. This is not some charity event where they make jokes after every point and do crazy moves for the crowd's enjoyment. As jackson vile said, Ginepri was dead serious throughout the match.

Accept the fact that Pete Sampras is a pretty decent player, and that on a good day he could still take out a pro.Sorry, you're just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

You even blow up your own argument - you admit they're not 100% into it - but then say they're still trying to hit the ball as well as they can. They're taught to think of only the ball - so by your admission that's not happening therefore they aren't playing their best.

And if you still can't grasp the concept of 'exhibition' and 'getting paid', then there's not much else to say. Robbie is looking to make cash and get in a workout. Period. Who knows what Sampras' real motivation is? Those think a comeback in the offing are sadly delusional. His ego is way to big to come back and get bounced in the 1st round (the guy who said he's get a wildcard at Roland Garros should be doing standup comedy - too funny). Maybe he just wants to get away from his wife's phony Hollywood, pretty but not talented, friends.

West Coast Ace
12-13-2006, 04:49 AM
And Superman1, just in case you miss it in the Agassi - Roddick thread:

...and both players engaged in the typical banter that reminds those in attendance that this is an exhibition and not a competition.

Comprende?

southpaw
12-13-2006, 06:19 AM

...and both players engaged in the typical banter that reminds those in attendance that this is an exhibition and not a competition.

Comprende?

If there's a scoreboard, it's a competition. The same ego that enables a top tier athlete to compete at the elite level will not permit them to throw a match for pocket change.

Bjorn99
12-13-2006, 06:46 AM
A PRO????? Robby Ginepri is a pro? Versus Pete Sampras??? C'mon, are you freaking serious? I don't like Sampras at all, and no one who knows him does either, but the truth is, he has more talent in his little finger on his left hand, than Ginepri has in his entire body. And if Sampras gets himself into shape, and he obviously has to some extent, he toys with a guy like Ginepri. The guy isn't dead yet, he won the US open recently. What has Ginepri won?

Pros are injured and TIRED. Sampras has rested his muscles for three years!!!!! In some ways, he may be more DANGEROUS than he was in his last two years. WHY do you think he is coming back. HE IS OUT FOR FEDERER, and Ginepri is just one obstacle in his path. Don't listen to Sampras, watch his game. He never says anything to anyone, even his own family, about what is really going on in his mind. And his whole family is weird, they never even came to watch him play. Greeks man.

diredesire
12-13-2006, 09:58 AM
hey carrwash, where do you play in vancouver? Just curious. I'm from there ;)

Are you playing for a school right now?

carrwash13
12-13-2006, 10:16 AM

I play at VTC......graduated from college but I used to play for Prairie and I was on the Northern Arizona team

diredesire
12-13-2006, 10:37 AM
prairie... how long ago? I might've been a freshman while you were still in school...

Are you playing elites with Kevin Young? I heard tony was running the program for a while, but not sure about it now. Haven't been at VTC for a while.

carrwash13
12-13-2006, 10:43 AM
prairie... how long ago? I might've been a freshman while you were still in school...

Are you playing elites with Kevin Young? I heard tony was running the program for a while, but not sure about it now. Haven't been at VTC for a while.

I jump in after work every now and then for fun if I have time....Kevin's running it now, its good.....I graduated in either 2001 or 2002 can't remember...I know we won districts my last year and our top three players (including me) took the top three spots and our #1 doubles took the doubles and collectively we took like 3rd or 4th in state.

diredesire
12-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Am I correct in guessing you are either a scott, larry, or tyler? :D

carrwash13
12-13-2006, 11:02 AM

Scott would be correct

fastdunn
12-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Sampras still has all those dangerous weapons.
But I doubt he can come back on tour even on part time basis.
But maybe he can pull off 2 weeks gig like he did in 2002 US Open.

If he ever comes back from retirement, he would do in sneaky way
like the way he retired.

Kaptain Karl
12-13-2006, 12:31 PM

... then ...

Scott would be correct

So...? DD, do you think jackson vile just lost 100 clams?

(This World Wide Web "thing" surely makes the world smaller, huh? About a year ago, I posted a crack about an (un-named) guy from Upstate NY, where I graduated HS. Within 30 minutes another TT member posted enough information to let me know he knew *exactly* who I was posting about. Eerie...!)

- KK

jackson vile
12-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Alright, put your money where your mouth is....I'll bet you $100 I am what I say I am and I'll put a video clip up if you agree to take the bet. I'll also be able to prove its me in the video. We'll give the money to a non-partial third party via paypal and whoever wins collects the money. Deal? If you say no or don't respond I'll take it as you admitting I'm right.

Oh you had to edit that huh?

Quit being a baby and just put the video clips up already:rolleyes:

You can only stall for so long hamster boy:p

superman1
12-13-2006, 06:03 PM

Comprende?

Aren't we talking about Sampras vs Ginepri here? Didn't one poster say that Ginepri was dead serious throughout the match?

Having not seen the match, neither of us can speculate. At least I'm not being an a-hole with a holier-than-though attitude.

Phil
12-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Taking your little sister to the Baskin & Robbins down the street for an ice cream cone doesn't count toward dating "...some of the most beautiful women in the world..."

Sorry, guy. Maybe you can find some of dem thar beauties on that new-fangled thingymajigy they call the In-ter-net.

carrwash13
12-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Oh you had to edit that huh?

Quit being a baby and just put the video clips up already:rolleyes:

You can only stall for so long hamster boy:p

It's a gerbil from a South Park Episode not a hamster...but that's beside the point...So are you gonna take my bet or not? Your tone is confident but you're not backing it up. Anything less then taking my bet shows you know I'm right.....your move.

diredesire
12-13-2006, 10:11 PM
So...? DD, do you think jackson vile just lost 100 clams?

(This World Wide Web "thing" surely makes the world smaller, huh? About a year ago, I posted a crack about an (un-named) guy from Upstate NY, where I graduated HS. Within 30 minutes another TT member posted enough information to let me know he knew *exactly* who I was posting about. Eerie...!)

- KK

it's quite probable. He's pretty darn good. Kind of scary good :(

West Coast Ace
12-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Aren't we talking about Sampras vs Ginepri here? Didn't one poster say that Ginepri was dead serious throughout the match?

Having not seen the match, neither of us can speculate. At least I'm not being an a-hole with a holier-than-though attitude.If you want to take the impresssionsof an anonymous poster on an Internet board, be my guest.
Does that poster have mental powers and read Ginepri's mind? I doubt it.

I'll base my opinion on my knowledge of the game: exhibition = cash (and fun); tournament = win (and cash).

Dedans Penthouse
12-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Yikes! (Maybe my attempt at humor didn't work....)- KK
Mine obviously didn't work either
(the risk of 'inflection' lost in the written word). :-)

Let me try it again:

You Babboon!

LOL~!

Kaptain Karl
12-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Mine obviously didn't work either
(the risk of 'inflection' lost in the written word). :-)

Let me try it again:

You Babboon!

LOL~!Okay. Okay!!! You DID get it.... [KK, self image quite low, retreats to a low branch for some ... theraputic grooming....]

- KK

carrwash13
12-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Looks like Jackson Vile tucked tail and ran away....all words with nothing to back it up....just like I thought

superstition
12-22-2006, 11:38 AM
"Federer's a tremendous player. He's won Wimbledon and he stays back."
...with a contemporary racquet, contemporary strings, against baseliners, and on rye.

Wimbledon had an all-baseline final (Nalbandian and Hewitt, I think) the same year it used rye for the first time.

And, Borg won Wimbledon a number of times as a baseliner with wood on fescue, eh?

The Gorilla
12-22-2006, 12:00 PM
...with a contemporary racquet, contemporary strings, against baseliners, and on rye.

Wimbledon had an all-baseline final (Nalbandian and Hewitt, I think) the same year it used rye for the first time.

And, Borg won Wimbledon a number of times as a baseliner with wood on fescue, eh?

borg volleyed off his first serve but stayed back on his second,today we would probably call that serve and volleying,back then even staying on your second serve was considered extremely out there.

araghava
12-22-2006, 07:53 PM
If Sampras were willing to practice hard for a couple of months and then come out of retirement for the grass court season, he would instantly become the #2 grass court player in the world. In a sense his situation would be very similar to Becker in the mid to late 90s. Sampras was the king then. Becker was a non-factor on all other surfaces. But on grass, he was still probably #2.

Young Pete
12-22-2006, 08:27 PM
please pete if you are reading this go back on tour and win the big W.

superman1
12-23-2006, 12:32 AM
I hope they slick down the grass at Wimbledon and make it nice and fast, and put up a sign that says, "Wildcard on reserve." Get Sampras in there at all costs. Tennis needs a big story.

EliteNinja
12-23-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd like to see Sampras win a French Open in 2k7.

If he did that, Federer would have a little more work to do.

(we all know this would be impossible, though.:( )
(But hey, Sampras is now nCoded!)

araghava
12-23-2006, 02:23 PM
If Sampras were willing to practice hard for a couple of months and then come out of retirement for the grass court season, he would instantly become the #2 grass court player in the world. In a sense his situation would be very similar to Becker in the mid to late 90s. Sampras was the king then. Becker was a non-factor on all other surfaces. But on grass, he was still probably #2.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=110133

West Coast Ace
12-24-2006, 08:39 AM
I'd like to see Sampras win a French Open in 2k7.
I have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions lotto - two drawings in a row.

Dream big, kids!

West Coast Ace
12-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Jackson, I hate to interrupt your attempt to get carrwash to cough up that video (maybe he's a little 'wet' after all), but:

If there's a scoreboard, it's a competition. The same ego that enables a top tier athlete to compete at the elite level will not permit them to throw a match for pocket change.Where did I say anyone 'threw' a match? I only pointed out that they don't treat exo's the same as real tournament play.

You kids today! Remember, you're our future! (LOL!) Use your brains! Do you really think JMac has as many nightmares about exo's he lost as the '84 Roland Garros choke job to Lendl?

Pistol_Pete
12-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Looks like Jackson Vile tucked tail and ran away....all words with nothing to back it up....just like I thought

Yeah.. that rarely happens.

He just posts and posts even if he's wrong. He posts until the other party gets fed up because we all have a life outside of TT Warehouse. His strength is not in his arguments but it is in his ability to counter-post.

Congrats. You finally shut him up.

For now.

alwaysatnet
01-02-2007, 09:01 AM
It's too bad some people seem to be so jealous of Pete Sampras that they pop up at any post having to do with him just to make their jealous snipes and snarky comments.It must be awful trying to single handedly bring down one of the greatest players of all times when everyone else can see what a decent guy and great champ he was.Like a tennis Grinch some won't be happy until everyone feels as low as they do.How very sad.

fastdunn
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions lotto - two drawings in a row.

Dream big, kids!

Do you want a bet of $100.00 with me on that (if Pete does come back
in Wimbledon) ? I think I have a pretty good chance here...

mi_suga(r)?
01-04-2007, 01:28 AM
It's too bad some people seem to be so jealous of Pete Sampras that they pop up at any post having to do with him just to make their jealous snipes and snarky comments.It must be awful trying to single handedly bring down one of the greatest players of all times when everyone else can see what a decent guy and great champ he was.Like a tennis Grinch some won't be happy until everyone feels as low as they do.How very sad.

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-sentered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
The good you do today, people may often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world your best and it may never be enough;
Give the world your best anyway.
You see in the final analysis, it is between You and God;
It was never between You and them anyway.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
Mother Theresa

...But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed
By faceless men, well, f.....s
He still stands

And he still............................................. .....
.................................................. .............
And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly.

PEARL JAM "Given To FLY"(heard Pete likes them)

KAPTAIN KARL, your humor is awesome! Thanks, it lights my dark days and shortens my long nights. Hope you aren't against of me putting you on my boddy list(?!), along ElightNinja and alwaysatnet(is that ok? guys?)
-----> PETE for 2007! You can fly Pete!!! Dream big, Pete!

alwaysatnet
01-04-2007, 05:45 PM
As long as there are no Sampras hating A-holes on your list.I don't need to name names,but if you check out about mid page you may find a prime example(with apologies to Mother Theresa.I never claimed to be a saint.)

mi_suga(r)?
01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
As long as there are no Sampras hating A-holes on your list.I don't need to name names,but if you check out about mid page you may find a prime example(with apologies to Mother Theresa.I never claimed to be a saint.)

thanks for answering! i'm not looking for saint friends, i'm looking for saneones with great sense of humor, respect and tolerance toward another opinion or believes. Good thing that it's more of those than of All-H(OLES)aters.
(i'm not a saint myself!!!... ...troubled souls unite...)
-----
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun. -Katharine Hepburn.
-----
To be meek, patient, tactful, modest, honorable, brave, is not to be either manly or womanly; it is to be HUMANE. -Jane Harrison,English scholar.

superstition
01-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I hope they slick down the grass at Wimbledon and make it nice and fast
Wimbledon would have to return to fescue. I personally think the rye should only be planted around the baseline.

West Coast Ace
01-07-2007, 10:35 AM
As long as there are no Sampras hating A-holes on your list.I don't need to name names,but if you check out about mid page you may find a prime example(with apologies to Mother Theresa.I never claimed to be a saint.)Cute - but typical of you. Cheesy name calling. Mom calling you for lunch yet? :-)

I don't 'hate' Sampras - I just didn't enjoy his 'all serve, not much else game'. Made tennis very boring. What I don't like is all the Revisionist who try to claim he had an amazing all-court game, similar to what we see Fed do now. I also don't like people saying that, based on one meaningles Exo match that he could come back and compete on the Tour - that's just ridiculous.

Eviscerator
01-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Cute - but typical of you. Cheesy name calling. Mom calling you for lunch yet? :-)

I don't 'hate' Sampras - I just didn't enjoy his 'all serve, not much else game'. Made tennis very boring. What I don't like is all the Revisionist who try to claim he had an amazing all-court game, similar to what we see Fed do now. I also don't like people saying that, based on one meaningles Exo match that he could come back and compete on the Tour - that's just ridiculous.

I don't want to get in the middle of your debate, but did want to take a moment to address your "all-court game comment". Sampras was much more than a "serve, not much else". You might say that about a player like Ivo Karlovic, but not Sampras. He had a deadly forehand, a very good backhand that he could rally with, great volleys & overhead and was very athletic. Most importantly he was mentally strong which is another thing that separated him from many other players. His style may have been boring to you, but he did not develop his game to appeal to anyone's idea of what fun tennis should look like.

Granted his serve was one of the best of all time, but to diminish his game to little more than a serve just because it was so dominating is not an accurate assessment.

West Coast Ace
01-07-2007, 04:40 PM
He had a deadly forehand, a very good backhand Sorry - not buying. We'll have to agree to disagree. If he had the groundies you claim he'd have won the French 2 or 3 times. And I'd say his volleys were good but not great. The mental part goes without saying.

alwaysatnet
01-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't want to get in the middle of your debate, but did want to take a moment to address your "all-court game comment". Sampras was much more than a "serve, not much else". You might say that about a player like Ivo Karlovic, but not Sampras. He had a deadly forehand, a very good backhand that he could rally with, great volleys & overhead and was very athletic. Most importantly he was mentally strong which is another thing that separated him from many other players. His style may have been boring to you, but he did not develop his game to appeal to anyone's idea of what fun tennis should look like.

Granted his serve was one of the best of all time, but to diminish his game to little more than a serve just because it was so dominating is not an accurate assessment. I'm glad to see someone else point out the obvious.Pete Sampras was indeed a very good all court player,despite what the Sampras haters say.He built his game around his top notch serve.Why wouldn't anyone with an all time serve like Pete's? He'd be crazy not to.No one is claiming he is a Federer.No one is,Pete included,save for Roger himself.
Mr.West Coast refutes claims about Pete's abilities no one has made.Who is he to say Pete should win X amount of French Opens because people have the audacity to claim his groundstrokes were indeed strong?What a crock of crap that is.Then why hasn't Roger won the French Open,why not Lleyton Hewitt,why not Coria or Davydenko or Nalbandian?
They all have great groundstrokes,right Westy? Why haven't they won the French? If you can answer that you must admit that just having excellent ground strokes is not enough to win the French Open.So where is the crime if Pete didn't either.Borg never won the US Open.So what? That doesn't diminish his place as an all time great.If you hate Pete Sampras,which you obviously do when you call him just a ladder player without his serve,just say so.Don't be such a hypocrite.Don't be a little man and try to diminish Pete.It just makes you seem petty and jealous when you can't give the all time Grand Slam title winner his proper due.Go back and watch his last win at the US Open against Andre Agassi.If you don't see a man who won his share of points from ALL OVER THE COURT then you just refuse to accept reality.

Eviscerator
01-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry - not buying. We'll have to agree to disagree. If he had the groundies you claim he'd have won the French 2 or 3 times. And I'd say his volleys were good but not great. The mental part goes without saying.

You can say we disagree which is fine since we might assess his other attributes differently. However I called you out on your comment saying that he was little more than a "serve, not much else" which is just plain and simply incorrect.
If all it took to be a great GS champion was a serve and not much else, explain why players like Goran, Krajicek, Stich, Rusedski, Rosset, Philippoussis, etc. were not more successful?
While I consider the aforementioned players as being more than just a serve, they all were less well rounded than Sampras, and their career GS results are a testimony to that fact.

mi_suga(r)?
01-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Cute - but typical of you. Cheesy name calling. Mom calling you for lunch yet? :-)

sorry "wac", O! NO! "wca":

(re: part 1) ...i thought that was no name calling conversation between alwaysatnet and me...??!?...

"The idea of strictly minding our own business is moldy rubbish. Who could be so selfish? " -Myrtie Barker, b. 1910; American columnist.
-----
(re: part 2 a ) ...

"The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative* and the second is disastrous." -Margot Fonteyn(1919-1991) English dancer

*IMPERATIVE
Etymology: Middle English -imperatyf, from Late Latin -imperativus, from Latin -imperatus, past participle of -imperare to command --more at EMPEROR
1 a : of, relating to, or constituting the grammatical mood that expresses the will to influence the behavior of another
b : expressive of a command, entreaty, or exhortation
c : having power to restrain, control, and direct
2 : not to be avoided or evaded: NECESSARY< an imperative duty>
synonym see MASTERFUL

...to me PETE's work and his TENNIS is IMPERATIVE!!!...

Do you need another description?!...( i mean of *disastrous ?)
...may i mind my own business and not to go to one's selfone's...
-----
(re: part 2 b ) ...
( ...sorry ALWAYSATNET, i'll try to say it better:))
It's all up to IMPEROR!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
...re: the West Coast Ace's quote... a whole! (i mean a whole thing...)

You don't know a woman until you have had a letter from her.
Ada Leverson (1862-1933), English writer

The Gorilla
01-08-2007, 03:25 AM
Sorry - not buying. We'll have to agree to disagree. If he had the groundies you claim he'd have won the French 2 or 3 times. And I'd say his volleys were good but not great. The mental part goes without saying.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=111692

'nuff said.

Eviscerator
01-08-2007, 07:51 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=111692

'nuff said.

:roll:

While you can compare them all day and get all different opinions as to who was better, in the end they will both be in the top five of all time provided Federer continues his dominance.

BTW- Your poll did not include other important shots such as the overhead and half volley, both of which are important to a S&V's game. Needless to say Sampras would be ahead in those categories.

The Gorilla
01-08-2007, 09:23 AM
:roll:

While you can compare them all day and get all different opinions as to who was better, in the end they will both be in the top five of all time provided Federer continues his dominance.

BTW- Your poll did not include other important shots such as the overhead and half volley, both of which are important to a S&V's game. Needless to say Sampras would be ahead in those categories.

there was only a max of 10 different poll option.

mi_suga(r)?
01-09-2007, 01:33 AM
West Coast Ace , SORRY. ...for me acting as "a.. "whole" ", i just had to show you in my mirror...
------------------------------------------
Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.
-Phyllis Diller, b. 1917. American comedienne and writer