PDA

View Full Version : *Free* Find A Player Services

marcl65
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
I’ve seen a bunch of threads for people looking for others to play. I just thought I’d throw out some of the free services I’ve run across. Most major cities have non-USTA leagues but I personally have a problem paying >$200 for an online service with no assurance of any kind of results. Anyway, these sites match up people for ladder play, matches, or just rallying. There aren’t a lot of bells/whistles to them but they’re free so…

http://www.tennis-league.com/

http://www.tennistip.com/find_a_partner.php

There’s also a player match-up section at the USTA site. Again, free and, again, fairly rudimentary. USTA membership is not required.
http://www.usta.com/home/default.sps

Finally, there’s this one (very limited but if you’re in a major city you might have some luck):
http://www.letsplaytennis.org/

And if anyone knows of any other free sites, I’d be much obliged if you post them here.

BiGGieStuFF
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I joined www.tennis-league.com So far I've played one match and I have another one scheduled. Not bad for free :)

goober
12-11-2006, 04:07 PM
I joined www.tennis-league.com So far I've played one match and I have another one scheduled. Not bad for free :)

Heh I joined that one. It pretty much sucks in my area. I didn't think I was good enough for the advanced 4.5-5.0 level. So I signed up for the Intermediate 3.5-4.0 level. Unfortunately everybody I played so far 3 matches have been two 3.0s and one weak 3.5 :/

GeorgiaRoyal
12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I signed up for that, too. However, I'm the only in the area that has signed up, so I haven't played any matches, but on the plus side, I am number 1! ;) I've made an attempt to get a challenge ladder going in my area using tennisengine.com, but it didn't get off the ground. The ladder went for about 2 months, and the highest number of matches anyone played was about 5, and half the guys on the ladder (total of 10) only played 1 or 2 matches.

I'm a high school tennis coach in an area where tennis isn't played much, so I'm going to require my players to play in a ladder after the season (and during the summer) just to make sure that they are playing. I'm going to use www.tennisrank.com. There are some existing ladders in other areas, but again, not in mine.

In Atlanta (I'm about 25 miles from Atlanta) there are a few leagues that are going. I've played K-Swiss League (Ultimatetennis.com) at the 3.5 level a few seasons, but got tired of the driving since, again, tennis isn't big in my area. Same problem with Peach Tennis League (www.peachtennis.com). There's a new league, with a different approach that I'd like to play in, but they are concentrated on the east side of ATL, and I'm 25 miles west of ATL, so that won't work either (www.visionarytennis.com) . Of course, those last three I mentioned aren't free (about $30 for a season of 7 weeks), but I thought I'd throw them out there anyway.

Eviscerator
12-30-2006, 09:58 PM
:idea: :idea: :idea:

Duzza
12-30-2006, 10:02 PM

Hmm I'd rather join the Justice League and hook up with Batman.

TDabone
01-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Heres another site where people can find players to play. It is a tournament site that awards prizes. So far I have won $100!

www.MyTennisTournaments.com

Gugafan_Redux
01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Heres another site where people can find players to play. It is a tournament site that awards prizes. So far I have won $100!

www.MyTennisTournaments.com (http://www.MyTennisTournaments.com)

You are so obviously the owner/maker of this site.

goober
01-27-2007, 04:43 AM

www.MyTennisTournaments.com

I would never participate in a league with money on the line. Putting money in the equation is going to bring out the worst in people- hooking, sandbagging. all forms of gamesmanship. Things are bad enough with nothing on the line- money is only going to make it worse.

TDabone
01-27-2007, 09:37 AM
So far, there hasn't been any problems with the prizes. Tennis players for the most part are pretty honest. Plus, money is not awarded! You are awarded tokens for which you turn in for prizes such as a Tennis Warehouse gift certificate.

Of course, if you are not comfortable with prizes being awarded, you can set up free tournaments and award nothing! Choose the amount of players, location, times etc.. You can even place the tournament page on your own website.

goober
01-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Same problem with Peach Tennis League (www.peachtennis.com). There's a new league, with a different approach that I'd like to play in, but they are concentrated on the east side of ATL, and I'm 25 miles west of ATL, so that won't work either (www.visionarytennis.com) . Of course, those last three I mentioned aren't free (about $30 for a season of 7 weeks), but I thought I'd throw them out there anyway.

BTW has anybody tried Peach tennis? They are in my area but their website doesn't say how much they cost- is it $30? Since you have to pay for court costs and balls half the matches that actually could add up to about another $30 extra.