PDA

View Full Version : a good stringing job?

danieljss
03-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Hello

is there any easy way to tell if you racket has been strung well or badly for that matter?

i'm starting to think the stinger i use isn't that good. I recently got my I Prestige Mid Plus Strung with Alu big banger at 58lbs.

I have just got another I Prestige Mid Plus delivered with factory strings (intelli tour i should think). When i tap my new stick against the Big banger strings they produce a much lower tone. When i tap my new stick i get a fair few octaves higher. On that basis the factiry strings must be strung MUCH higher that 58lb? Can this be the case, i think the top limit for the stick is 62lb.

also when i press against the big banger strings with my fingers they seem to give more than i expected.

any ideas welcome

thanks

dan

Gaines Hillix
03-09-2004, 09:38 AM
danieljss, the old "ping test" isn't very reliable unless it's done by someone with perfect pitch and the string type and gauge are identical. Strings of different gauges and materials will not vibrate at the same frequency. A Stringmeter can give you an approximate reading of the relative stiffness of strings between two racquets and an RDC or similar machine can accurately measure stringbed stiffness.

borisboris
03-09-2004, 01:17 PM
:lol: Well I know a bad job when I see it. I picked up my stick a few yrs. ago and the stringer-who wasn't present-had missed 40+ weaves!!!! I took it to another stringer and they laughed their &^@#! off. The ping and visual weave is the only off ct test you can perform.

Steve Huff
03-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Wow! 40 misweaves. He should have known he couldn't string a racket while talking to his topless female customer.

postal
03-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Daniel,

When you get a racquet that has come pre-strung like your new I-Prestige, the chances are very high that the racquet was strung about 3 months ago. They mass string these racquet which means they double pull the mains and sometimes the crosses. The pinging that you hear is from a very loose racquet.

borisboris
03-09-2004, 02:24 PM
yeah-I was ordering Kirschbuam back in 2000 from TW and the store didn't have any - I had a tourney the next day - so I got into it with the mgr and they ended up loosing my business = 2+ sting jobs per month. I was going to clock the guy outside-I sent a friend in 3 wks prior to get a new stick and the jerk set him up w/ a c-10 pro 4 1/4 grip!!!! He was a beginner w/ a 4 5/8 grip. :evil:

Hawaii 5.0
03-09-2004, 11:14 PM
A good job should consist of neat and tidy knots that don't overenlarge or tear up tie off grommets,minimal tension loss on knots,straighten strings prior to finishing since tension is set with each pull and should be done then,no overlapping strings.There are other things, but getting the tension right is first and foremost along with no misweaves,consistent pulls and bowing and technique.A good job doesn't come from any one thing, but alot of things.It's what you like if you prefer one thing to another, but in general as a stringer would I play with that stringjob is what I ask myself about my work.I love doing like 4 racquet with NXT and finding they all sound the same with the exact same job on each and the player can't tell the difference on a blind test.That makes me feel good when I put the same attention into my work that I do with my own frames.

bcaz
03-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Polys, including Lux, are known to lose tension rapidly right after stringing before settling in. It may be that you were hearing a real difference between the two string beds, although Gaines makes a very good point not to jump to conclusions.

Other things to look for? Do the strings cross over anywhere on the outside of the frame? They shouldn't ... How are the knots? ... Commercial stringers are sometimes pressed for time and make money on turning over racquets. They generally will do one-piece unless specifically requested otherwise, and they often will do single-hitch tie-offs rather than doubles or true starting knots (if they're doing two-piece). How is the tension on the outside mains and the top/bottom crosses? There should be no missed weaves; I've missed a couple, but I've yet to do my tenth job and I don't get paid ...

Larry Baldridge
03-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Daniel -- if you do obtain a tension meter, as Gaines suggested, I have found that they render a reading of 7#-8# less than the actual tension. A variable will be the type of string installed, but as a rule of thumb this tends to be the norm. Actually, the tension meter is used to measure relative tension loss, rather than actual tension. If you do get a tension meter, you are to use it on the mains. [The crosses will read much less, as installing the crosses tightens the mains.]

NoBadMojo
03-10-2004, 01:14 PM
daniel..i dont think you can tell because you are comparing two different strings and two diferent types of strings. it could just be that you dont like the particular string and the stringjob is fine.

Larry Baldridge
03-10-2004, 01:17 PM
hey Ed! Note my new user name. AKA Pounder.

bsandy
04-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Hmmm . . . a string has to be twice as tight to change by an Octave.