PDA

View Full Version : Are usta league players restricted from wearing facial piercing?

freelythinking
12-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Hello, I was wondering if there is any usta policy which restricts a league/tournament player from wearing a facial piercing such as lip ring. I know it is not safe to wear any form of jewelry during a match but lip piercing will close up quickly without a ring...

AR15
12-14-2006, 02:49 PM
No, but they probably should be.

We wouldn't want to scare our opponent to death.;)

cak
12-14-2006, 04:03 PM
The only league rule I've heard concerning dress is if you are playing at a club, and that club has a dress code, it is the responsibility of the home team captain to inform the other team of the dress code, and the other team needs to follow the dress code. Makes me wonder about nudist colony teams :-)

But to answer the original question, I don't know of any clubs that prohibit facial piercings. I'm thinking I might have played against ladies with facial piercings, but it wouldn't stick in my mind enough to be sure. I'm sure I've seen younger ladies playing with navel piercings.

As for wearing jewelry while playing, have you ever seen the Williams sisters play tennis? Heck, I'd guess most pro players are wearing some piece of jewelry while playing. As for the club ladies, they all wear tons of jewelry while playing. This isn't a contact sport, jewelry's not really an issue.

LttlElvis
12-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't mean to be lecturing anyone, but why take the risk? Even though tennis is a non contact sport, there is a chance of a ball or racquet hitting the face. I have seen many non sports related injuries to teeth and intraoral soft tissue, a few times the damage from the piercing has been irreversible, and the patient always kicks themselves for getting the piercing in the first place. I know that doesn't answer your question and I will get off the soap box now. LOL.

Swissv2
12-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Well look at the William sisters with their big loopy earrings. Thats just as dangerous (if not more) than a small lip ring.