PDA

View Full Version : Over 40 off-court conditioning programs

netman
08-17-2004, 04:39 PM
What are you other over 40 folks doing for off court conditioning?

I lift weights 2-3 times a week and do 3-4 days of aerobic training. Court time has been limited due to back injury but I'm starting to get more court action and finding that I need to cut back on the off court time or I'm dragging on court. Just curious how other players balance the two so they improve court performance without shorting the off court time.

sanitarium
08-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Well I'd say there are two ways to improve on court performance.

You could cut back the weights (doesn't improve performance as much as aerobic conditioning) and work moreso on the aerobic and try that out, or..

give tennis up for ~2-3 weeks and solely do intense off court training whereas that would build up your muscle/endurace and give your body a break from tennis so you're fresh when you go back.

joe sch
08-18-2004, 07:21 AM
You need some strenght, lots of flexibility and excellent conditioning so respectively I would recommend a weight training program geared more for higher reps and lower weights, a stretching program like yoga or tai chi and cardiovascular cross training using a mix or running, cycling & swimming. You gotta do what you enjoy so that you will be able to do this training on a continuous basis.

baseliner
08-18-2004, 09:29 AM
For over 40 (and over 50) the key is recovery time between playing or working out and your next workout. I use an indoor jogging trampoline to run on. The surface is so much softer than the road and I can run every day. Also I take every opportunity to stretch, at my desk, while watching TV, etc.

atatu
08-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Well right now I'm lifting 2-3 times a week, two days a week I've been going to a fitness class which is actually designed for tennis, lots of legwork, sprints, plyometrics, ab work and a little stretching. One day a week I try to either do a 2-3 mile run or do hill intervals. Rest one day. Play tennis two days a week. At this point I'm trying to lose weight as opposed fine tuning my tennis. I've lost about 12 pounds in 6 weeks.

netman
08-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks everybody for all the info. Agree that recovery takes longer at our age, which was really hard to accept.

Just started doing a two day split on the weights, so each body part only gets worked out once a week. This has really helped with recovery.

atatu, what specific plyometric exercises do you do?

baseliner, neat idea on the jogging trampoline. I'll have to try that since running long distances on hard surfaces really hurts my back.

Kirko
08-20-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm 51 yr. during the winter I run 3 to 6 miles everyother day & use that abb wheel 3 sets of 40 everyother day .

doubletrouble
08-23-2004, 06:46 PM
My advice? Take care of your knees and back especially if you plan to play beyond 40! Start strengthening them now and you will thank me later :lol:

and one last thing work on your overheads if plan to play young guys seems like they like to lob the "old" guy to see him run.

Marius_Hancu
11-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Check my posting
on
Great Fitness Sites
here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=23127
esp the OUTSIDE magazine series

plum
10-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Anyone have any stretching suggestions for my lower back meets hips meet but. This might sound like a strange description, but other than a bit of elbow and wrist, this seems to be the spot I don't stretch out properly. It doesn't quite seem like the back or the hips but seems to be some kind of interconnected soreness around the very outside of the lower back meeting the hips and slightly extending into the maximus. Thanks...

charliefedererer
10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Anyone have any stretching suggestions for my lower back meets hips meet but. This might sound like a strange description, but other than a bit of elbow and wrist, this seems to be the spot I don't stretch out properly. It doesn't quite seem like the back or the hips but seems to be some kind of interconnected soreness around the very outside of the lower back meeting the hips and slightly extending into the maximus. Thanks...

Interesting of you to bump a 5 year old thread to ask this question.
Anyway... Do you have an off court regimen to stay in shape for tennis that includes core and back exercises like crunches and rotational exercises with elastic tubing or a medicine ball?
http://www.xlathlete.com/browse_drills.jsp?sport_program_id=228&browse_sport_id=38&drill_type=0
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=114707&itype=7418