PDA

View Full Version : Dropping weight to complete horizontal everytime?

Dennis Chan
12-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi I'm new to stringing. Just did my first ever string job on a SP Swing. I have a question about tensioning by dropping weight to a complete horizontal level. Is it really necessary on EVERY pull?

Of course the ideal case is to have the weight drop to complete horizontal each time. But since the string will move a little bit when settling after stringing, I think :confused: it might be ok to string some strings a little tighter (weight tilted up) and some a little looser (weight tilted down). Will the slightly different tensions even themselves out after the string has settled.

I know it sounds a little lazy. But it seems it can save me some time. I only string my own rackets. No plan to hurt anyone yet. ;)

dancraig
12-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Dennis:
I think most experienced drop weight users go for as close to horizontal as is practical. It's your call as to how perfect you want to go for. Most people that have really looked into it seem to feel that true perfection is not neccesary. If it looks about horizontal, it's probably alright.

As you get more experience, you will find that you can hit near horizontal with very little effort.

chrisplchs
12-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Also, you don't have to be exact. I remember a post where somebody created a table telling you the perfect difference and it was something where you could be 8 degree off horizontal either ways and still be less than 1 percent off on tension

nalbandian_fan
12-15-2006, 09:10 PM
your idea of the bar being tilted up making it tighter is wrong, the tension is tighest when the bar is horizontal, if its higher or lower, then ther is less tension.

Dennis Chan
12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
your idea of the bar being tilted up making it tighter is wrong, the tension is tighest when the bar is horizontal, if its higher or lower, then ther is less tension.

Oh OK, thanks for pointing that out.:D

kooguy
12-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi I'm new to stringing. Just did my first ever string job on a SP Swing. I have a question about tensioning by dropping weight to a complete horizontal level. Is it really necessary on EVERY pull?

Of course the ideal case is to have the weight drop to complete horizontal each time. But since the string will move a little bit when settling after stringing, I think :confused: it might be ok to string some strings a little tighter (weight tilted up) and some a little looser (weight tilted down). Will the slightly different tensions even themselves out after the string has settled.

I know it sounds a little lazy. But it seems it can save me some time. I only string my own rackets. No plan to hurt anyone yet. ;)

I saved this one from previous post....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you set your reference tension to 60lb and you are off by 10 degrees (above or below horizontal) you are still pulling 59lb of tension. See the table below.

Degrees From Horizontal.....Percent of Reference Tension.....Resulting Tension (60 lb Ref)
1.............................................99.9 8%...................................59.99
2.............................................99.9 4%...................................59.96
3.............................................99.8 6%...................................59.92
4.............................................99.7 6%...................................59.85
5.............................................99.6 2%...................................59.77
6.............................................99.4 5%...................................59.67
7.............................................99.2 5%...................................59.55
8.............................................99.0 3%...................................59.42
9.............................................98.7 7%...................................59.26
10...........................................98.48 %...................................59.09
11...........................................98.16 %...................................58.90
12...........................................97.81 %...................................58.69
13...........................................97.44 %...................................58.46
14...........................................97.03 %...................................58.22
15...........................................96.59 %...................................57.96

A dropweight is about as true as a constant pull machine as exists. you don't need electricity, you don't need and fancy electronics

you will be accurate to +/- 1 lb of reference tension with the arm being off as much as +/- 10 deg from horizontal.

10 degrees equates to the arm being off horizontal by 3 inches up or 3 inches down assuming the arm is about 18" long.

rasajadad
12-17-2006, 07:23 AM
While I realize complete horizontal is not necessary, at one point I put a small bubble level on the bar. When working on the racquet from above, it's an easier visual cue than bending down for me.

bad_call
12-17-2006, 12:47 PM
I saved this one from previous post....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A dropweight is about as true as a constant pull machine as exists. you don't need electricity, you don't need and fancy electronics

you will be accurate to +/- 1 lb of reference tension with the arm being off as much as +/- 10 deg from horizontal.

10 degrees equates to the arm being off horizontal by 3 inches up or 3 inches down assuming the arm is about 18" long.

good info. i won't be as picky next time with a 5 degree delta off horizontal. :-)

aussie
12-17-2006, 11:51 PM
I placed a small spirit level on my Klippermate tension bar. I then placed a card on a stand behind the very end of the tension bar and marked a line indicating exact level as shown by the spirit level. I then marked lines 1.5 inches above and below the exact horizontal line. This is then the range (ie 3 inches) I allow the bar to drop to before clamping the strings. Works well - as long as I get the bar within that 3 inch range, the tension comes out very consistently.