PDA

View Full Version : Prince Precison Mono?!?!?

Andy Zarzuela
08-17-2004, 07:24 PM
I was thinking about buying one of these racquets for kicks. How do they play? What headsizes are there?
________
Glass Bong (http://glassbongs.org/)

Rabbit
08-18-2004, 09:31 AM
If I remember correctly, it was a 92 sq in. head size. I do remember this correctly, it was not a very playable frame. While it looked cool, it was not the greatest frame I've ever played with. Connors like it, but he also liked the T2000. These two rackets have that in common.

jayserinos99
08-18-2004, 12:37 PM
i didn't get to play with the precision mono, but i did play with the ripstick. it had decent pop, but w/ the mono you were either on or off. swinging it felt like having a stick with a racquet face attached to the end of it. i can only imagine how the precision mono would feel.

yip kok kuin
08-18-2004, 07:26 PM
The racket volleys well. Groundstroke is tricky the racket will twist if not strike at the sweetspot. Works will for volley eg you block it and the ball almost dropshot at will!

Evolution
08-18-2004, 07:43 PM
I've both the mono and ripstick, and I can say that the two are totally dfferent.

The mono is more of a players racquet, 11.7oz unstrung, 27" long, 97" headsize, headlight and pretty low powered. It vibrates like hell (just like the t-2000 and alike), which from what I know is Connors preference. Not even a midly playable racquet.

The ripstick is a tweener to game improvement stick (despite Prince called it advance racquet for 4.0+), 9.0oz unstrung, 29" long (!!!), 104" headsize, headheavy. Again, vibrates like hell due to the mono shaft construction. Very powerful and extremly sluggish due to the 29" length despite the lightweight.

Frankly, I think the mono shaft technology is a failure in functionality, but does look really cool due to rareness.

galain
08-19-2004, 03:37 AM
I bought a Mono a few years ago for it's novelty when i saw one going cheap. I honestly haven't given it enough time to develop any feel for it - it just kind of sits there looking odd. It's a lot stiffer and larger than my usual preference in racquets but I managed to play some good tennis with it. I also managed to have one of the absolute worst tennis days of my life with it as well - God knows if the racquet had anything to do with it or not!

Yip is quite right - it's incredibly maneuverable at the net - the fastest frame i think I've ever had for net play, but if you're not hitting the sweetspot on the groundies it twists badly.

Still looks pretty funky though!

RB
08-19-2004, 05:14 AM
What people dont realize is that Jimmy strung his Mono at extremely low tension---set up like this it is a great stick for someone who hits flat groundstrokes

yip kok kuin
08-19-2004, 07:40 AM
I just got this two point to add: I got it strung at 45pound always. It twist a little more than other racket that I have but I ok with the vibration. Coming from using a max 200g, I thought it is pretty good as a normal racket. 2ndly, I found oil leaking from the butt of the racket. I took the butt out and found more oil, really thick sticky oil plus a large piece of lead ( I think it is lead because it is very soft and I manage to cut it with a cutter) and a bag ( I think to contain oil and lead) So this thing runs on a stabiliser at the butt! Very unusally. I have since replace the oil with silicon and have the lead stuck in the silicon. It was doing well but that was many good years ago.

Jerry Seinfeld
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I have absolutely no idea what Yip is talking about.

I have hit with the mono and it is a sweet hit. I still keep one in my bag and use it on occasion. The racquet is very manuveurable at net and it is the best overhead stick I have ever hit with...bar none.

I would clasify it as a players stick, but with more power than one might think. The racquet does twist on severe mis-hits, but get close to center and all is well. Haven't found a perfect string or tension. Prefer lower tensions, but the control suffers. Higher tension and you get a lot of feedback.

The cool looks and cosmetics make it fun to play with. Very functional stick in the hands of a 4.0 or higher player. I sort of mis hitting with this and may break it out at the next practice for grins and giggles

yip kok kuin
08-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Open up the butt and you should see a bag of oil with a putty of lead. That's what I mean. Mine broke and split the oil out and that's how I discover the bag!! Abot the shock and vibration, try the max 200g The mono is not bad. It just feel bad (like any other non-wood racket ever) compare with the muted feel of the max 200g.

Jerry Seinfeld
08-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Yip,

Sounds like some creative person customized your mono. Did you purchase it used???

I agree the 200G is super soft.

yip kok kuin
08-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Dear Jerry

No. Bougth it new. Direct from agent. Remove your butt cap and see if your stick has a bag. You just need to stap it back later. No worry of breaking it or something.

Jerry Seinfeld
08-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Intersting. No such thing in mine. Maybe someone was smuggling drugs or something??? :lol:

joe sch
08-22-2004, 07:48 AM
The mono is a nice racket for flat ballers which is why it worked soo well for Jimbo. I found it very unstable when trying to hit spins. That funny regarding the oil bag inserted into the butt for dampening especially since it started leaking. Hope it was not carcinogenic, there are many better ways to dampen a racket and the max 200g used on of the best ever with the internal graphite injection process.