PDA

View Full Version : grommet tubing

goober
12-16-2006, 07:50 AM
So I broke a single grommet on a relatively new racquet. I was thinking about using grommet tubing. The problem is that I never used this before. Do you just cut and insert? Do you need some of glue to hold it in place? How long will this last?

The supposed pro stringer at one the clubs I play at didn't even know what I was talking about and told me just to play without the grommet unless I wanted to replace the whole strip.

Thanks for any info.

NoBadMojo
12-16-2006, 09:00 AM
it isnt usual for a grommet to break in a relatively new racquet. racquets i think usually have a one year warranty. the best choice would be to install a new grommet/bumper kits as they dont usually cost much. you can likely tube it and it may hold up for you quite well. you would need to have the tube connect thru an ajoining hole. it will be 'u' shaped and stick out both grommet holes slightly.

migjam
12-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Actually you don't need it in both holes, the excess tubing sticking out of the hole being repaired will be held down by the string going into the next hole.

Valjean
12-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Call the manufacturer and ask for another grommet set. A few do this at no cost anyhow.

diredesire
12-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Yep, i just lay the excess over the frame. It will lay flat because it is held down by another string. You may want to grind the grommet out before tubing, though.

goober
12-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Yep, i just lay the excess over the frame. It will lay flat because it is held down by another string. You may want to grind the grommet out before tubing, though.

It is necessary to buy a grommet grinder for this or can another tool do the job?

migjam
12-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Just use a waxed awl to enlarge the grommet. The tubing should slide right in.

goober
12-16-2006, 05:58 PM
ok thx I will try that.

racketrx
12-17-2006, 08:31 AM
As discussed, just use a waxed awl to enlarge the hole, trim a section of tubing and slide it in. String will hold it in place.

I often will sleeve a grommet like this when someone give me a racket to string and I find a broken grommet. Then we discuss getting a new grommet set or if that is not needed replacing with a fittex grommet.

For the fittex grommets you do need a grinder to ream out the hole you will inert it into. Don't bother with this unless you string hundreds of rackets per year, it wouldn't be worth buying them.