PDA

View Full Version : Strings' fault?

M1KE
12-16-2006, 05:47 PM
A week ago, on Saturday, my racquet felt fine, but the following Sunday it felt significantly worse. Today, it felt far worse, and I was playing pretty badly. I couldn't really control my shots or put enough spin on the ball to keep it in.

Anyways, my question is:
Could the string really lose that much tension for me to play much worse, or was it all my fault?

My strings:
X-one Biphase 17 mains
Red Code 17 crosses

The strings aren't frayed at all and I've only played with them three times, so I don't really want to cut them out.

TonyB
12-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm currently using X-1 biphase 17 as a full set in my TF335 18x20 and I would definitely say that it gets more powerful the more you play.

For the first 2-3 hours, the power was very low, but control was great. After that point, however the power has REALLY picked up significantly. It didn't even come on gradually, either. It just sort of picked up very quickly around the 3 hour mark.

I'm not sure how many hours of play that you have on your strings, but just be forewarned that the X-1 biphase really starts to pick up power after a couple of hours of hard hitting.

Mine aren't even close to fraying or even showing signs of wear, yet the power has picked up tremendously. I'm planning on keeping them in the racquet until they break, so I'll be monitoring them for any further changes.

jj300
12-16-2006, 07:25 PM
i wouldn't call it the stringer's fault, some strings get more power fairly quickly. ask for his advice next time, perhaps he could prestretch the strings to take a bit of the tension loss out.

M1KE
12-16-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm currently using X-1 biphase 17 as a full set in my TF335 18x20 and I would definitely say that it gets more powerful the more you play.

For the first 2-3 hours, the power was very low, but control was great. After that point, however the power has REALLY picked up significantly. It didn't even come on gradually, either. It just sort of picked up very quickly around the 3 hour mark.

I'm not sure how many hours of play that you have on your strings, but just be forewarned that the X-1 biphase really starts to pick up power after a couple of hours of hard hitting.

Mine aren't even close to fraying or even showing signs of wear, yet the power has picked up tremendously. I'm planning on keeping them in the racquet until they break, so I'll be monitoring them for any further changes.

Thanks for the reply. Mine played fine for 1 1/2 hours before I noticed a difference.

M1KE
12-16-2006, 07:38 PM
i wouldn't call it the stringer's fault, some strings get more power fairly quickly. ask for his advice next time, perhaps he could prestretch the strings to take a bit of the tension loss out.

I string my own racquets. I don't mean that it might be a stringing error, but if the strings could be to blame for my lack of control.

Valjean
12-17-2006, 03:55 AM
FWIW, I have noticed the same early loss of control with NRG2 (in a full job), and polys drop tension awfully fast.

westy
12-17-2006, 04:30 AM
FWIW, I have noticed the same early loss of control with NRG2 (in a full job), and polys drop tension awfully fast.

actually, th newer generation polys are quite good at holding tension. alu and sppp are good examples

TonyB
12-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. Mine played fine for 1 1/2 hours before I noticed a difference.

To tell you the truth, that first 2-3 hours that I was playing was doubles. So yeah, I suppose if I had been playing singles it would have been around 1 hour or so.

But I think that's the reason that you're seeing a difference in power now.

Sounds like you need a lower powered string. Try Klip Venom. Not quite as much pop, but maybe a bit more spin and the same (or better) comfort level.

vinnier6
12-17-2006, 06:28 AM
i would string it tighter...maybe increase it 2-4lbs...

M1KE
12-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Sounds like you need a lower powered string. Try Klip Venom. Not quite as much pop, but maybe a bit more spin and the same (or better) comfort level.

Thanks for the advice. I've actually tried that string and loved it, but it frayed after just the second day.

Today, I'm gonna string X-one Biphase mains and Gamma Zo Plus crosses since I only have half a pack of X-one left. I'll string it at 60 so that when it does lose tension, at least it won't be as low as before. I've decided to give up on polys.

M1KE
12-17-2006, 07:14 AM
I just cut out the strings and thought it might be worth mentioning that the Red Code crosses had absolutely no tension left in them. When I cut them, they didn't spread farther apart.

TonyB
12-17-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm surprised to hear that they frayed so quickly. I've got 6-8 hours on my Slaz X1 strung with the Venom 17 gauge and they're not even really showing much wear at all. And yes, I hit very hard with a lot of topspin at around the 4.5+ level.

You haven't said what racquet you're using or what tension you have it strung at, but it sounds like they're just moving around too much on you, causing excessive wear. I string my Slaz X1 at 58 lb. and my TF335 (18x20) at 60. I don't get much movement at all.

Anyways, maybe you could go with the 16 gauge to help with durability. Since the Venom is so soft, I doubt even the 16g would feel stiff.

M1KE
12-17-2006, 07:31 AM
I use a Volkl DNX 10 MP and I've never broken a string on it. The Venom is the only one that significantly frayed too. I may order some next time I get strings and try elastacross.

mctennis
12-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Please make sure where you take your racquet is a certified stringewr and not just some guy that is assigned to string your racquet that hour. I see to many people standing behind the counter assigned to string a racquet because someone else isn't there that knows how to string and that is trained to do so.

TonyB
12-17-2006, 07:43 AM
He already said that he strings his own racquets.

racketrx
12-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Did you pre-stretch the string before stringing?

X-One is a multi and it will maintain tension much better if it is aggressively pre-stretched before strining. NRG is even more sensitive to this.

M1KE
12-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Did you pre-stretch the string before stringing?

X-One is a multi and it will maintain tension much better if it is aggressively pre-stretched before strining. NRG is even more sensitive to this.

nope
Is there a certain way to pre-stretch? Or do I just give the string a tug when I'm tensioning it?

eunjam
12-20-2006, 04:18 PM
i lost my finals match in a tourney last weekend. OF COURSE it was my string's fault. i mean.....sheesh. what kind of question is that?

Valjean
12-20-2006, 07:14 PM
actually, th newer generation polys are quite good at holding tension. alu and sppp are good examples
Not according to the USRSA; all polys, including those you mention, continue to lose about double the tension that nylon does under the same test conditions.

M1KE
12-23-2006, 03:31 PM
i lost my finals match in a tourney last weekend. OF COURSE it was my string's fault. i mean.....sheesh. what kind of question is that?

It's usually a good idea to read the post as well as the title, instead of guessing and responding so ignorantly.