PDA

View Full Version : Vote For The Poly String Of The Year 2006

Gut Reaction
12-16-2006, 07:41 PM
WHATS THE POLY OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!! (i'M ONLY ALLOWED 10 CHOICES)

krprunitennis2
12-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I like Luxilon Alu Rough....

Gut Reaction
12-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I like Luxilon Alu Rough....

Why? Does it provide a lot of spin? How is it on flat shots. Can you compare it to another string?

josephhkim
12-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Topspin cyber flash-

excellent everything: power, control, feel, and most importantly: price.

looseswing
12-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Topspin cyber flash-

excellent everything: power, control, feel, and most importantly: price.

I agree. I think it blows SPPP out of the water.

Borat
12-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Topspin CyberFlash WIIIIIIIIINS!

Gut Reaction
12-17-2006, 07:20 AM
I agree. I think it blows SPPP out of the water.

please tell me why? everything I have read says the opposite. In fact Tennis magazine voted PPP the best string. Check it out:

Test winner string test 2004

Quotation:
The Poly Plasma by SIGNUM PRO was the only string in the test which had been keeping a constant tension during the playing test, a fantastic result.
Playing properties: They were outstanding, in all categories, thus power, control and vibration soften, the Poly Plasma achieved the bestmark. As good as this one no other string performed.

power: 1
control:1
vibration soften: 1
(1 = Very good, 6 = insufficient)

Dashbarr
12-17-2006, 08:52 AM
signum pro plasma hextreme. insane spin, its almost impossible to not get the ball in the court with a western grip.

alu16L
12-17-2006, 09:00 AM
alu 16L all the way!!!

nickb
12-17-2006, 09:13 AM
For me tecnifibe polyspin or babolat tour duralast..

jm4121
12-17-2006, 11:25 AM
signum pro plasma hextreme. insane spin, its almost impossible to not get the ball in the court with a western grip.

I completely agree. I tried them in my MW 200g's and it feels like I am cheating. The added amount of action I am getting on my serves and groundies seems ridiculous (I am typically a flat hitter - 18x20).

Also, the SPPP line feels much softer to me than than ALU Power, and seems to hold tension a bit longer.

k-y
12-17-2006, 11:35 AM
What about Ashaway MonoFire? The "cheap" alternative to the more expensive premium poly strings.

Gut Reaction
12-17-2006, 11:41 AM
What about Ashaway MonoFire? The "cheap" alternative to the more expensive premium poly strings.

I actually LOVE Ashaway Monogut...but I didnt include that in the poll because I only had 10 options and Ashaway is only used by a very few number of players. Too bad!

DrewRafter8
12-18-2006, 09:16 AM
alu 16L all the way!!!

What he said!

Ripper
12-18-2006, 12:15 PM

I completely agree. I tried them in my MW 200g's and it feels like I am cheating. The added amount of action I am getting on my serves and groundies seems ridiculous (I am typically a flat hitter - 18x20).

It's mental. You'd get the same spin if it were round. Actually, Hextreme feels, practically, round to the touch. Can't see it's shape helping much. Truth is SPPP is a very spiny string, hex shaped or round.

Thor
12-18-2006, 02:37 PM
no pro hurricane tour?

Dashbarr
12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
jm, i know what you mean. my serve, which is generally a fast one with weak spin, is spinning wayyy better than it did. i hit the ball literally as hard as i want with my western grip, and it looks like its gonna go out, but at the last second drops quickly right on the line. i love it.

jm4121
12-18-2006, 04:55 PM
It's mental. You'd get the same spin if it were round. Actually, Hextreme feels, practically, round to the touch. Can't see it's shape helping much. Truth is SPPP is a very spiny string, hex shaped or round.

Ripper, I play with both SPPP and SPPP Hex and you are correct that they are both "spinny". However, I have SPPP and SPPP Hex in two racquets side by side, and I can definitely distinquish between the two. I can feel the hex edges on the Hextreme, whereas SPPP is round. As for the string being mental, that is definitely not the case for me. I played with BB ALU Power Rough for nearly a year, and the spin difference I gained when changing to Hextreme was amazing. One of my regular playing partners won't play with me if I use one of the racuqets with Hextreme! Just my opinion, but it has made a dramatic change in my game - the piece of mind to hit out regularly and know that most will land in.

Gut Reaction
12-19-2006, 07:29 AM
no pro hurricane tour?

Its a brand new string. Not that many people have tried it yet. It needs time to become more popular. i am sure it will make the top 10.

I found it to be a really great string. It was VERY powerful and the strings did not move. The big drawback I found was in the spin department. Very little spin at all .

FrenchOpen
12-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Cyberflash is for me the most complete string, Plasma is better in tension stability and control, but Cyberflash is better in confort and power,
By the way, they are very similar and both excellent, a great choice for every player.

But For me Cyberflash rules.

Athans87
12-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Cyberflash all the way. Just a tad better than SPPP in my opinion.

Ripper
12-19-2006, 10:19 AM
One of my regular playing partners won't play with me if I use one of the racuqets with Hextreme!

Forgive me, but your friend is an idiot, lol. Anyway, take a look at this:

http://www.stringforum.net/g_image.php?id=57

SPPP Hex has 8 sides. Imo, non circular shaped strings should have an odd amount of sides, like Iso-Speed Pyramid or Luxilon 5-Star. If they have an even amount of sides, one of the flat sides will end up making contact with the ball; not what you want. Hey, but you've managed to make me curious enough to try this for myself. We'll see.

rod_b
12-19-2006, 10:43 AM
...If they have an even amount of sides, one of the flat sides will end up making contact with the ball; not what you want. Hey, but you've managed to make me curious enough to try this for myself. We'll see.

Actually, you would be more likely to catch an edge when the racket is moving from high to low or low to high because the edges are on the top and bottom of the string face. Only if you hit it flat would you not catch any edge at all...but then you're really not creating any spin anyway.

Ripper
12-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Actually, you would be more likely to catch an edge when the racket is moving from high to low or low to high because the edges are on the top and bottom of the string face. Only if you hit it flat would you not catch any edge at all...but then you're really not creating any spin anyway.

Hummm, you got a point there.

Edit: But, still, reviews I've read about this type of strings suggest that their edges wear out. But I'll try it. I want to see if it really gives more spin AND if the extra bite (if it has it) doesn't wear off.

mark rodgers
12-19-2006, 01:41 PM
My vote goes to Signum Pro Poly Megaforce. It plays great in a wider variety of racquets than SPPP and it's $10 less per reel. SPPP gets my nod for 2nd place and Cyberflash for 3rd.