PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid?

seen
12-17-2006, 04:47 AM
I'm probably going to do a hybrid stringing on my racquet, and I don't know what strings to go with. I use Luxilon Big Bangers now (strung @ 54lbs), but I'm not getting enough control out of them. The power factor is great, but balls tend to fly pretty often. My theory is that if I get Big Bangers on the mains and a more control-oriented string on the crosses, I'll get a good mix of power and control, right? And if so, which string should I get, and what tension should I go with?

westy
12-17-2006, 05:12 AM
luxilon big banger strings are very control-orientated. hybriding with something like a synthetic gut will only increase power. you best bet is to increase tension IMO.

SteveI
12-17-2006, 06:51 AM
luxilon big banger strings are very control-orientated. hybriding with something like a synthetic gut will only increase power. you best bet is to increase tension IMO.

You can increase tension and use a soft cross string to save some bucks.. get a softer feel and save your arm.

Steve

seen
12-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Eh, I played tonight and after hitting around a bit I realized that it might just be better to go with a very control-oriented string that is better on the arm than Big Bangers. Any ideas on what I could string, and at what tension?

racketrx
12-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't like the Luxilon string myself as they are too hard on my arm. Many customers do though.

I would suggest trying Prince Lightning Power. It is a poly hybrid string. It will have good control, but not more that full Luxilon as that is as control oriented as I could recommend.

SteveI
12-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Eh, I played tonight and after hitting around a bit I realized that it might just be better to go with a very control-oriented string that is better on the arm than Big Bangers. Any ideas on what I could string, and at what tension?

Hi,

Maybe try one of the softer polys.. Like SSSP, Topspin CyberFlash, Big Hitter or Gosen Polylon SP. You will have to consult the stinging directions for each. One might have you string a higher tensions... another might guide you to string 5-10% lower.

Regards,
Steve

seen
12-18-2006, 02:40 AM
I might go with the Big Hitters, since the reviews seemed to unanimously agree that it doesn't hurt your arm. Now, as for string tension...

My Big Bangers I had at 54, and I felt like that was too low of a tension. The Big Hitters say to string 5-10% lower than normal, just like the Luxilons, so would stringing it only 2-3 pounds higher (56 or 57 lbs) make a noticeable difference?