PDA

View Full Version : stringing my own rackets breaking more often

tennis-skater
12-17-2006, 05:27 AM
So I've been stringing my own rackets and I'm using Kirschbaum spikey 17gauge and gosen og sheep 17 and I'm breaking strings everyweek and its always the poly mains. Normally in the same spot just below the middle and side of the string bed. Not at the grommet. Then I got ****ed yesturday because it was my backup racket and it was the 2nd set of strings I popped that day so I took my racket and hit the string bed on the net post and another string broke. I'm stringing on a Mutual Power Hercules 610 dropweight so I'm not sure if the calibration is off or what. Also right before I started stringing I switched to the POG mid from the n6.1 tour.

migjam
12-17-2006, 06:34 AM
When you are pulling the crosses through, are you feathering the string back and forth or are you pulling straight through? Pulling the string straight through will notch the string and cause possible premature breakage.

tennis-skater
12-17-2006, 07:03 AM
feathering it

Koz
12-17-2006, 07:19 AM
hit softer :-P. Could just be that you break strings quicker with your Wilson than you do with the Prince. Unless you're damaging the strings while stringing (doesn't sound like you are if you're feathering the crosses), I'd just chalk it up to murphy's law...

alu16L
12-17-2006, 07:58 AM
16 gauge is calling your name

tennis-skater
12-17-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm using the POG now not the wilson which I have heard is a string eating machine but will be switching to the pure control this week. What is murphy's law I remeber hearing about it in chemistry but I don't pay too much attention.

I would switch to 16 gauge but I have about 460ft left of Spikey 17

TonyB
12-17-2006, 08:31 AM
With the Hercules 610, you have to make sure you lower the weight in a controlled fashion. Not too slow, but don't drop the thing, either.

I try to let it drop at a "medium" speed and let my hand continue to drop at the same speed after the weight has stopped. You definitely don't want to go too easy (or too hard) as the friction in the bearing will really throw off your tension.

Get a fishing scale and do some "test runs" to establish your technique. At first, I was dropping the weight a little too hard right at the end, which was causing the tension to spike upwards 6-8 lb. when I released the weight. Now that I've corrected my technique (by monitoring it with the fishing scale), I can get very accurate results.

I'm not saying this is what's causing your problems, but I'm just sharing my experience with the Hercules 610 in case it could be a contributor.

goober
12-17-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm using the POG now not the wilson which I have heard is a string eating machine but will be switching to the pure control this week. What is murphy's law I remeber hearing about it in chemistry but I don't pay too much attention.

I would switch to 16 gauge but I have about 460ft left of Spikey 17

lol Murphys law has nothing to do with chemistry. There different versions but basically it is "If anything can go wrong, it will"

If you are breaking your poly mains that frequently and you previously never had a problem with this before, I think that you are doing something wrong during stringing. I am not the pseron to ask though about the details. I stopped stringing polys awhile back and just use regular syn gut.

tennis-skater
12-17-2006, 09:34 AM
lol oops guess that showed i never paid attention to the 60 laws i learned about. With how much im breaking strings im thinking about just selling my poly reel and just using syn gut since it comes out to like a buck 50 a job.

tonyB i have calibrator from mutual power but i think its pretty crappy im thinking about getting a fish scale but im thinking about just saving the 20bucks and putting it towards a wise tensioning head for the machine since they're coming out with an adaptor for it. I bought the machine after reading your review im actually a bit dissapointed should have just paid the extra 100 bucks for the alpha =[

mctennis
12-17-2006, 10:10 AM
First of all PLEASE get to be a USPRS and then I believe your racquets will not break strings. I see so many people get a stringing machine and think they are stringers. I thank that is why they break strings and/ or have trouble with stringing/tension/ durability of what they put in their racquets. I think the better the player you ate the more consistant your strings need to be.

Koz
12-18-2006, 11:20 AM
First of all PLEASE get to be a USPRS and then I believe your racquets will not break strings. \

*rolls eyes* There are plenty of good stringers out there that aren't USPRS members...I do agree that bad stringing technique can hurt string performance and durability; but give the guy some benefit of a doubt.

jb193
12-18-2006, 01:05 PM
How do you "feather" the crosses? I string my own racquets and this is the first I have heard of this.

tennis-skater
12-18-2006, 01:07 PM
you dont just pull the crosses through you move them as your pulling them so the string doesnt get weak

jbs24
12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
How do you "feather" the crosses? I string my own racquets and this is the first I have heard of this.

as you pull the cross through with one hand, you move the cross up and down or back and forth so the string doesn't pull past the main in one spot. I usually try to make a "V" with the cross and move it so the angle of the V gets smaller and bigger.