PDA

View Full Version : Videogames, do they make you play worse?

the1337azn
12-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Well recently i've been playing Halo 2 on Live again and i noticed that i can never hit the ball in the court anymore, it always goes within 1 foot out of the the baseline.

Also any tips when this keeps happening?

Kabob190
12-17-2006, 02:05 PM
i guess they can make you play worse if you stay up all night playing them and you get no sleep.

the1337azn
12-17-2006, 02:10 PM
nah i play for an hour or two, i used to play like that. I was almost at Pro MLG gaming. I was trying to get vack in my prime till i found out it started messing with my forehand

xtremerunnerars
12-17-2006, 02:39 PM
There's no point in stopping the games. The problem is that you think it's messing with you. You walk out onto the court already defeated :-/.

And i saw a great quote from someone with regard to video games:
Before violent video games showed up, Germany was the happiest place in the world, known for their peaceful nature and vast, roaming herds of friendly unicorns that pooped rainbows and candy floss.

the1337azn
12-17-2006, 05:29 PM
wtf? haha whats with that quote.

Yeah, hey and i got a question about strengthening my joints. After a good day of practice at school, my knees ache/sharp pain at times. and my ankles always hurt.

whats up with that?

Amone
12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
There is no reason video games should be hurting your tennis.

goober
12-17-2006, 06:15 PM
wtf? haha whats with that quote.

Germany has a ban on violent video games. As I recall they had an incident similar to Columbine where a student killed a bunch of people and it was later found out that he played games like quake.

tarheels2323
12-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Germany has a ban on violent video games. As I recall they had an incident similar to Columbine where a student killed a bunch of people and it was later found out that he played games like quake.

That's on the parents, not the manufacturers of violent video games. If the kid can't handle it, then it's up to his parents to take the game away.

raiden031
12-19-2006, 10:00 AM

How do they explain the millions of kids who are able to play quake without going out and killing people? Did they ever take into consideration that maybe this kid played quake because he was teased and had no friends? Maybe if he didn't have quake to ease his mind he would have even went on his shooting spree much earlier. This is not an attack on you, but an attack on Germany.

lordmanji
12-19-2006, 03:32 PM
i think it could help. you have to line up the groundstrokes properly which should help your real life game. also, your strategy. maybe not virtua tennis so much but topspin would. its the same thing as army men playing war game simulations to help them visualize and prepare for the situation and come up with solutions. i dont know about Wii tennis, though. that i think could mess up your swing even if theres a slight benefit to your timing.

xtremerunnerars
12-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I doubt there's much of a correlation going from games-->tennis, but the other way around is pretty strong.

When i got virtua tennis 2k2, i was probably around a 3.0. I got good at the game just like other sports games (after playing for a while) but could never beat the computer on very hard. After getting up to a 4.0, i was able to win 6-0 6-0.

I was getting a couple games around the 3.5 level which leads me to faith in my point. I think it's just because of better court sense and shot selection...the reflexes or timing was all the same.

EasternRocks
09-14-2007, 10:23 AM
No I don't think so,its just for the fun of it

quest01
09-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I play better if i play videgames especially tennis videogames. After playing the topspin games and Virtua Tennis 3 my hand eye coordination improved slightly. I wasnt framing the ball as much and overall i was just hitting the ball cleaner. Also i feel videogames in particularly tennis games have improved my strategy against my opponents. For example in videogames you can serve and volley, stay back, hit a passing shot then charge the net and so forth and i feel doing these things in videogames have improved my real game.

Ive had to have gone up at least .5 NTRP by videogames alone.

AndrewD
09-14-2007, 02:29 PM
There is no reason video games should be hurting your tennis.

There is, if you play them too soon before playing tennis.

The main problem is that your eyes have become adjusted to the constant flicker and incredibly rapid movement of millions of pixels on the screen. Even if isn't perceptible to you, your eyes have picked them up and adjusted to the constant motion. If you don't allow yourself enough time before playing for your eyes to re-adjust to a more static environment, they won't sight the ball as well as they otherwise could. You can get a similar, although highly reduced, effect from reading newsprint while riding on a train or in a car as your eyes are constantly scanning a moving and pixelated image.

babolat15
09-14-2007, 02:51 PM
i onestley think there is no corrolation

ipodtennispro
09-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Well recently i've been playing Halo 2 on Live again and i noticed that i can never hit the ball in the court anymore, it always goes within 1 foot out of the the baseline.

Also any tips when this keeps happening?

This is a very interesting topic. When kids play computer games (any hand held objects) for long periods of time their eyes become "Fixed focal". Therefore, it is important to warm up the eyes before playing. The top pros do it all the time. There are 6 eyes muscles and they need a warm up just like the rest of the body does.

Here is a good warm up by Paul Roetert, PhD

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/Roetert.mov

redsoxrock930
09-18-2007, 08:06 PM
video games do nothing good

TennisNinja
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Video games are fine unless you play like 4 hours a day or something.

Rafa freak
10-04-2007, 06:15 PM

They also do nothing bad.

TennisFrkJC92
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Video Games will make you get out of shape if you play too much. I've personally experienced this playing Counter-Strike on PC. I used to be on a cross country team and when i played CS all summer, i couldn't even finish a 5K under 18 minutes.

Shashwat
10-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Do you know what pros do during rain delays or maybe just to chill?

Nadal said at the FO that him, Moya and all the other Spaniards have competitive soccer matches (video games).

Forehand Forever
10-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I sure hope they don't make you play worse

Halo 3 is taking over my life!

redsoxrock930
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
do not let halo 3 take over your life

baselinerT
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
who's played MANHUNT? now thats a game that will kill you, literally the second one's release date was extended because some kid killed another using one of the methods

quest01
10-16-2007, 12:19 PM
do not let halo 3 take over your life

I have Halo 3 and i play it all the time. The game has taken over part of my life.

Seifersquall1
10-16-2007, 10:19 PM
It improves eye cordnation. But tennis does too ;)

_mats_
10-16-2007, 11:49 PM
yes, they make me play worse.

I got too used to the WII's controller weight, I cant swing a racquet anymore..

Landshark
10-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Just put some lead near the top of the controller;)

ROFLingpanda
11-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I dont think gaming really affects your tennis unless you game all day all night and stop practicing or conditioning

DON'T PLAY WII TENNIS for practice though. a friend of mine loves his wii and he told me he was really good at wii tennis. i asked him to play me and most of his hits were directly into the ground (on his side), fence, or over the fence while his all time pro serve went into the ground about 10 feet in front of his foot ^.^'