PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a professional player?

krprunitennis2
12-17-2006, 07:38 PM
How do you become a professional player? As in the steps to becoming one.... Do you have to join specific tournaments to move up in ranking/stuff like that whatever?

1. Starting out as a school player.

damasta55
12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
If you're at step 1, you're probably too late. You start at an early age. You train everyday. You play usta tournaments and be top in state, and then join itf and start playing some tournaments. Some ppl after 18 go to college and play only college tennis. Some are good at 18, and they start playing satellite/challengers, eventually making it or not to the top-tier tournaments. Some go to play sattelites/futures/challengers after they play a couple years in college. You can become a pro player anytime, you just may not get very far. You have to qualify to play at the itf sanctioned tournaments, unless granted a wc. Even if you do qualify, you may get blown away in the first round.

power_play21
12-17-2006, 08:35 PM
so to put damastas comments in order

1. play a lot since young

2. join tennis academy

2. play USTA tournaments

3. Get a top sectional, national rank

4. Apply for ITF Pin to sign up for futures / challengers events (id say at 15 or 16 yrs old here)

5. Get farther into the draws on futures

6. move on to challengers

7. Get farther in the draws

8. Start playing qualifying for some international seris once you get enough atp poitns

9. get farther in draws of intl seris

10. play a a grand slam 1st round

11. play masters series

12. win intl series

13. win master series

14. win grand slam

15. Be federer.

westy
12-18-2006, 02:49 AM
so to put damastas comments in order

1. play a lot since young

2. join tennis academy

2. play USTA tournaments

3. Get a top sectional, national rank

4. Apply for ITF Pin to sign up for futures / challengers events (id say at 15 or 16 yrs old here)

5. Get farther into the draws on futures

6. move on to challengers

7. Get farther in the draws

8. Start playing qualifying for some international seris once you get enough atp poitns

9. get farther in draws of intl seris

10. play a a grand slam 1st round

11. play masters series

12. win intl series

13. win master series

14. win grand slam

15. Be federer.

seems easy enought:) ;)

na2b
12-18-2006, 04:06 AM
How old are you anyway? And from where?

krprunitennis2
12-18-2006, 08:23 AM
14, in California. I'm around 3.5 NTRP with a forehand close to 4.0 level. Started playing last year, June.

LASVEGAS ACES
12-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry, you have a better chance raising an army and taking over the world.

blakesq
12-18-2006, 12:07 PM
You can get good enough to go to college on a tennis scholarship. And even if that doesn't work out, you can become good enough to teach tennis for a living. Good luck.

Blakesq

krprunitennis2
12-18-2006, 12:10 PM
You can get good enough to go to college on a tennis scholarship. And even if that doesn't work out, you can become good enough to teach tennis for a living. Good luck.

Blakesq

:cry: Blast, I have no chance of ATP?

westy
12-18-2006, 12:16 PM
seriously, th guys ranked in the 200's and 300's have been playing since they were 4 or 5 years old, only some guys started later then this. hewitt didnt start until he was 16.16!!! now he must just be one hell of a talented!! he could have become a professional aussie rules football player, like his dad and grandad, so he was just an immensely talented sportsmen!!

Kabob190
12-18-2006, 01:29 PM
i guess the only way to be a pro is to have a mike agassi type father. cuz no 4 year old is gonna take tennis seriously.

westy
12-18-2006, 01:59 PM
at age 4, its more about fun. but even this improves coordination, court awareness etc preparing them for when tennis become more serious

Kabob190
12-18-2006, 02:07 PM
the parents would still have to play a huge role in the pros tennis career. i dont mean just paying for racquets, lessons, etc. but actually making the kid play.

westy
12-18-2006, 02:45 PM
yes, the expense for the parents would be great, but the parents shouldnt make the kid play. if he.she enjoys it, he/she will continue to play, if not they will stop

Dashbarr
12-18-2006, 04:41 PM
starting basic, just-for-fun tennis at 5, playing to learn and get better at 11, and first tournament at 13 and a half good enough ya think?

brayman9
12-18-2006, 04:55 PM
starting basic, just-for-fun tennis at 5, playing to learn and get better at 11, and first tournament at 13 and a half good enough ya think?

that is what i did and everyone said i started USTA's to old. Is 13 to old?

Kabob190
12-18-2006, 05:12 PM
that is what i did and everyone said i started USTA's to old. Is 13 to old?

not considering that i started them at 16

Dashbarr
12-18-2006, 05:16 PM
yeah, but kabob, are you a pro?

300Gkid
12-18-2006, 05:36 PM
yes, well, starting at 13 is probably too late, most pro's start tournaments at 7 or 8 and are naturally talented besides. Its not too late to be thinking about a Scholorship though, if you dont mind, whats your ranking?

Dashbarr
12-18-2006, 06:06 PM
dont have one yet, as i said, first tourny starts the 26th. im not great, but i guess im decent.

krprunitennis2
12-18-2006, 08:38 PM
seriously, th guys ranked in the 200's and 300's have been playing since they were 4 or 5 years old, only some guys started later then this. hewitt didnt start until he was 16.16!!! now he must just be one hell of a talented!! he could have become a professional aussie rules football player, like his dad and grandad, so he was just an immensely talented sportsmen!!

REALLY?! Hewitt started when he was 16?! :-D Guess I have to work really hard then!!! Kk, can you guys explain to me how people move up in the region/state/national ranking thingies?

Paul1993
12-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Even if you do start at the age of 13 and are a 3.5 NTRP rating a year later there is absolutely no reason to give up trying to turn into a pro no matter what these guys say. Part of the road into becoming a great tennis player is confidence and believing it will happen. I started tennis when I was 10 and started actually getting into it when I was 12 (at the start of this year) and I am still striving to become a professional player because I still have a slight chance.

My advice would be to play as much tennis as you can atleast six days as week for as many hours as possible. Recieve atleast one or two private lessons a week and particiate it lots of state tournaments.

Kabob190
12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
yeah, but kabob, are you a pro?

ya, actually i am. wait no, im awake so the answer is no.

odds are against you, by a long shot. but you still have a chance which makes it worth it to try. and if you fail whats the worst that can happen? your still a better player for trying to go pro. i guess the only advise i can give you is to play every day and train hard.

krprunitennis2
12-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Even if you do start at the age of 13 and are a 3.5 NTRP rating a year later there is absolutely no reason to give up trying to turn into a pro no matter what these guys say. Part of the road into becoming a great tennis player is confidence and believing it will happen. I started tennis when I was 10 and started actually getting into it when I was 12 (at the start of this year) and I am still striving to become a professional player because I still have a slight chance.

My advice would be to play as much tennis as you can atleast six days as week for as many hours as possible. Recieve atleast one or two private lessons a week and particiate it lots of state tournaments.

*counts money for private lessons and tourneys... oop, nah, don't have enough money even for lessons....

But thanks! :-D Two of my friends and I were actually going through the problem but through all the encouragement, my friends and I are actually planning to go to our school coach and...try to ask him for "lessons." Thanks for the encouragement, ideas, and personal experiences!!!

--P.S. Thanks also to westy for saying that Hewitt started when he was 16! This boosted our morales!

superman1
12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Um, no. Hewitt was winning ATP tournaments at age 16. He started playing when he was very young.

Rios was pretty old when he first picked up a racquet (older than 10, I think), so if you work your *** off and just hit balls all day long and transform your body into a machine, it's not impossible. The first step is getting off this message board and basically living on the tennis court for as long as it takes to become a monster out there. You have to approach it very systematically. Know all of your strengths and weaknesses, and watch the pros and see what works and what doesn't work for them. Watch a lot of pro matches and analyze how the points are constructed, and develop your game around that. For example, if you like how Agassi runs people side-to-side and then goes behind them and puts them off balance, learn how to do that. Learn every shot and strategy in the book. Spend at least half your time developing your serve. I have no personal experience with this, but that's what I would do if I had any desire to pursue tennis as more than a hobby.

[ GTR ]
12-20-2006, 04:12 AM

Really? I saw a picture of him when he was only 2, in his nappies holding a tennis racquet on a court. The book said he started very early as well as playing aussie rules as you mentioned. I think at some stage maybe around 12 years old he had to pick which sport to focus on and he decided he had more control in tennis and chose it.

maverick66
12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
never understood the your to old to try and play pro attitude. yea if your 20 and never touched a racket ok thats one thing but if your 13-14 that gives you four years before college is even a thought plus if you if you paly at a solid college thats another 4 years of tough matches. at that point your only 22 with 8 years of experiance you could make a good run at being pro at that point. its not impossible to start late and catch up you just have to work harder than everyone around you witch is usual for a pro anyways.

PurePrestige
12-22-2006, 11:19 AM
If you wanna go pro look into buying an nCode 6.1 95, O3 White, or one of the many Babolats. Those will best facilitate your rise in skill and match play ability. If you're starting late these racquets have the most wide range of appeal and will let you play your own style because they are less restricting.
If you are starting late you won't have the luxury of picking any racquet and growing into it and gradually modifying it to fit your needs. So to better that, one of these racquets is really quite good off the shelf.
I'm not saying any of these racquets are inherently better for pro play but they are simply more universally appealing for junior and pro games alike and may help people to transition from a low level NTRP to a higher level of play in less time.

Also, one important factor to note if you wanna go pro late as a junior. As our friend Nick Bollettieri says, regardless of skill level and starting age the most important thing is to have the physical ability.
So if you're a smaller guy without much physical prowess and you have the detriment of starting so late. You might wanna reconsider the whole deal.
Though if you can't be deterred, grab yourself a POG OS and astound us. Like Rochus or Spadea.

PimpMyGame
12-22-2006, 12:53 PM
My son started playing a year ago when he was 7. In a year he's got gold, silver or bronze in numerous tournaments and has already turned out for the county.

I started playing when I was 13. I'm not bad. Not great, but not a bad club player. My son has better technique than I could ever wish for. Sorry to say that unless you're uber-talented you won't be a pro. Keep it up though, a career coaching is definitely achievable.

Good luck whatever happens. And above all else enjoy your tennis.

Dunlop300
12-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Ive read that there is a 10,000 hour rule of thumb that states you cannot really become an expert at anything or top of your field (tennis included) without 10,000 hours of training. If you do the math depending on what age you start that requires many many hours a day -

In Mike Agassis book on Andre he claimed that Andre hit for 6 hours a day everyday from age 7 to 13. That would put him at 15,330 hours already by age 13. You can see why he turned pro at age 16.

It is tough but if you start at age 14 you can have that number of hours by the time you turn 21. That is 6 hours a day everyday of the year for 7 years. Good luck and just do it.

krprunitennis2
12-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Ive read that there is a 10,000 hour rule of thumb that states you cannot really become an expert at anything or top of your field (tennis included) without 10,000 hours of training. If you do the math depending on what age you start that requires many many hours a day -

In Mike Agassis book on Andre he claimed that Andre hit for 6 hours a day everyday from age 7 to 13. That would put him at 15,330 hours already by age 13. You can see why he turned pro at age 16.

It is tough but if you start at age 14 you can have that number of hours by the time you turn 21. That is 6 hours a day everyday of the year for 7 years. Good luck and just do it.

wow.... That's just torture...(no more running practices for me, or homework). lol jk. But I'd try to do my best at playing the most that I can and thinking on how to make things right.

Duzza
12-22-2006, 09:31 PM
REALLY?! Hewitt started when he was 16?! :-D Guess I have to work really hard then!!! Kk, can you guys explain to me how people move up in the region/state/national ranking thingies?

No, that comment is absolute BS. He started his pro career when he was 16 and beat Andre Agassi. He won his first tournament at 16 IIRC. He had played for a long time parallel to AFL though, and just decided that Tennis was the option. No Pro can start at 16, in real terms.

Duzza
12-22-2006, 09:33 PM
He was also ranked no.1 in Boys 18 which is freakishly good for Australia at age 15.

krprunitennis2
12-22-2006, 09:49 PM
He was also ranked no.1 in Boys 18 which is freakishly good for Australia at age 15.

^_^ If I'd be like him, I have to be #1 in Boys 18 then...XD I haven't even played a tournament.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwxNXs72Gp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c92PzQNl5Kg

Iono why I didn't hit some shots on the rise...if so, it would've been easier for me. But it was windy that day.
Btw, does it look like I'm 3.0-3.5 on these vids? I self-rated myself and I always over/underestimate myself.

schaefferm46
12-22-2006, 09:50 PM
sorry to say this but hewitt started playing when he was a young kid and he was one of the best in austrailia but when he turned 16 he decided to drop aussie football and focus on tennis

Techniques
12-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah. Hewitt turned pro at 16 years of age, won his 1st ATP tournament which was in his home town (Adelaide). He beat Jason Stoltenberg in the final... who was world number one at that time. HE WAS ONLY 16!!!...

Duzza
12-22-2006, 10:41 PM
sorry to say this but hewitt started playing when he was a young kid and he was one of the best in austrailia but when he turned 16 he decided to drop aussie football and focus on tennis

Actually at 13 he dropped footy.

PimpMyGame
12-23-2006, 03:12 AM
It seems that a lot of top sportsmen often have at least two sports they excelled at, at an early age. Hewitt's one of many, if you're destined for greatness you have a choice! Some guys have all the luck!

Duzza
12-23-2006, 03:16 AM
SO many of them do. The amount of guys I've heard that were almost Pro Soccer players!

tamdoankc
12-23-2006, 08:57 AM
most of the guys I played with when I was 13-14 were already 4.5-5.0's. they all ended up playing for Div1 schools. high school tennis was a low priority since they spent most of their time playing nationally and training. turning pro takes more than hard work. you have to be freakishly talented even to be in the top 500. look through the international junior rankings throughout the years at every age group and you'll only see a handful that's made it. Even less for US juniors. One kid stands out in my head, Scott Humphreys. Everyone remember him? Was the #1 international junior and beat Mark Phillipusous for the junior wimbledon title. i'm not trying to discourage you but it will be very difficult. Even if you did start tennis at 4. Best bet is to join a tennis accademy full time and get a full ride to college.

krprunitennis2
12-23-2006, 10:11 AM
most of the guys I played with when I was 13-14 were already 4.5-5.0's. they all ended up playing for Div1 schools. high school tennis was a low priority since they spent most of their time playing nationally and training. turning pro takes more than hard work. you have to be freakishly talented even to be in the top 500. look through the international junior rankings throughout the years at every age group and you'll only see a handful that's made it. Even less for US juniors. One kid stands out in my head, Scott Humphreys. Everyone remember him? Was the #1 international junior and beat Mark Phillipusous for the junior wimbledon title. i'm not trying to discourage you but it will be very difficult. Even if you did start tennis at 4. Best bet is to join a tennis accademy full time and get a full ride to college.

Would it be impossible to turn professional w/o spending lots of moolah??

the1337azn
12-23-2006, 01:19 PM
nice videos, you're footwork doesnt look that great though. hey what part of cal do you live in? im in the socal

krprunitennis2
12-23-2006, 03:41 PM
nice videos, you're footwork doesnt look that great though. hey what part of cal do you live in? im in the socal

=D SO. CAL TOOOO!!!!!! ^_^ :-D :-D :-( But I don't play in tournaments so I probably don't know you unless you live in this chic place that I live in (that one word should give away where I live ^_^).

Got an old video here too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a4CLymTKXs

maverick66
12-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Would it be impossible to turn professional w/o spending lots of moolah??

no its not, as someone who is trying it gets expensive. its not an easy road. u travel to some pretty crappy countries for a few points. money adds up with traveling and training and basic living setup. i got lucky and have a father who can afford to help me.

the1337azn
12-23-2006, 08:38 PM
uh you from Chico? Nah i dont play tournaments anymore i barely started playing tennis over the summer, but i made varsity. Our school always makes League though. Um so what highschool do you go to? Im in the VC

The Gorilla
12-23-2006, 09:11 PM

wheree did you read this?is it true?Could anyone tell me if this is true,it isn't up on wikipedia.

Duzza
12-23-2006, 09:51 PM
wheree did you read this?is it true?Could anyone tell me if this is true,it isn't up on wikipedia.

Gorilla, it's not true. He won his first ATP Title at 16. Read the posts after it by me :lol:

krprunitennis2
12-24-2006, 07:29 AM
uh you from Chico? Nah i dont play tournaments anymore i barely started playing tennis over the summer, but i made varsity. Our school always makes League though. Um so what highschool do you go to? Im in the VC

ERHS here, but I'm not playing until next year

jmsx521
12-24-2006, 09:44 AM
...In Mike Agassis book on Andre he claimed that Andre hit for 6 hours a day everyday from age 7 to 13. That would put him at 15,330 hours already by age 13... That might explain the lower-back problems he's having, while McEnroe -- who didn't like to practice -- is still playing now.

the1337azn
12-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Why aren't you playing this year?

jmsx521
12-24-2006, 10:08 AM
How do you become a professional player?... krprunitennis2, you don't even have to be good enough to try... you don't even have to know how to play tennis and you still can try. But, yes, you have to be very, very good to win! Call a futures or satellite tournament and sign-up for the qualifying tournament by paying probably around $50-100. Qualifying is open to anyone. Though, I would suggest you to watch some qualifying matches live, right there, before signing-up to see how good even they (the no-pointers) are. And let's say you really are very, very good... then, it takes you only winning the qualifying rounds and a bunch of matches in the main draw to win 1 pt... and there you are: a pro tennis player :-)

krprunitennis2
12-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Why aren't you playing this year?

I'm still in 8th grade, though I play with the team afterschool and watch some of their matches.

Ya, I know, a 14 year old 8th grade? When I migrated here, I didn't finish Elementary in Phil. so I didn't get accelerated 2 years.

krprunitennis2
12-24-2006, 12:32 PM
krprunitennis2, you don't even have to be good enough to try... you don't even have to know how to play tennis and you still can try. But, yes, you have to be very, very good to win! Call a futures or satellite tournament and sign-up for the qualifying tournament by paying probably around $50-100. Qualifying is open to anyone. Though, I would suggest you to watch some qualifying matches live, right there, before signing-up to see how good even they (the no-pointers) are. And let's say you really are very, very good... then, it takes you only winning the qualifying rounds and a bunch of matches in the main draw to win 1 pt... and there you are: a pro tennis player :-)

Nice post! ^_^ So how do you qualify? What are the requirements that I must do in the 'futures' and satellite tourneys?

jmsx521
12-24-2006, 12:59 PM
krprunitennis2, have you watched live pro tennis? It's different than watching tennis on TV. TV makes everything look flat... live tennis is the real stuff! Have you been next to a court where ATP pros are hitting... the requirement you're asking is that you have to be that good! If you are not that good and you enter to play qualifying, then not only you loose your entry-fee money, but people would be making fun of you for trying to play at a level where you don't belong. It is ironic... but tennis players happen to be very selfish athletes; the sport is not a good example of team sportsmanship, because you learn to play tennis for yourself, not for a team. Go to watch a qualifying match at a satellite or futures tournament and you'll see top-level juniors and top-level division-I college players loosing matches; trust me... that's how tough it is!

the1337azn
12-24-2006, 01:14 PM
yeah man, the tv takes away like half the intensity! Watching the upperclassmen at my school do some serious rallying is twice as intense as watching Federer on tv.

krprunitennis2
12-24-2006, 05:37 PM
krprunitennis2, have you watched live pro tennis? It's different than watching tennis on TV. TV makes everything look flat... live tennis is the real stuff! Have you been next to a court where ATP pros are hitting... the requirement you're asking is that you have to be that good! If you are not that good and you enter to play qualifying, then not only you loose your entry-fee money, but people would be making fun of you for trying to play at a level where you don't belong. It is ironic... but tennis players happen to be very selfish athletes; the sport is not a good example of team sportsmanship, because you learn to play tennis for yourself, not for a team. Go to watch a qualifying match at a satellite or futures tournament and you'll see top-level juniors and top-level division-I college players loosing matches; trust me... that's how tough it is!

I've been to a live tennis match, but it was Mauresmo vs Sharapova (she wasn't grunting yet), and their shots looked flat. Though on TV, Federer seems to put a llloooooottttt of spin. =P I agree on the tennis and team sportmanship thing, but I don't agree on the selfishness since some players help each other out by trying to get each other to become better. And yeah, I will consider watching D1 matches.

Techniques
12-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah. Live tennis is the best. I'm lucky enoguh to be a ball-kid at the Aussie Open. I was one for this year's open and I'm going to be for the 2007 Open. It's great watching them play... other than picknig up balls and servicing the player you get to watch the tactics the pro's use etc. Mentally its very good for your tennis game and tactially as well. Watching then day in day out makes you want to become better.

maverick66
12-24-2006, 05:55 PM
krprunitennis2, you don't even have to be good enough to try... you don't even have to know how to play tennis and you still can try. But, yes, you have to be very, very good to win! Call a futures or satellite tournament and sign-up for the qualifying tournament by paying probably around $50-100. Qualifying is open to anyone. Though, I would suggest you to watch some qualifying matches live, right there, before signing-up to see how good even they (the no-pointers) are. And let's say you really are very, very good... then, it takes you only winning the qualifying rounds and a bunch of matches in the main draw to win 1 pt... and there you are: a pro tennis player :-)

u cant just call and enter. u need an ipin first. then some kind of a national ranking so that u can even get in to qualies. yes u can enter without a national ranking but the odds of getting into qualies at that point are very low. also u only need to win one round in main draw to get a point not a bunch. but this is not easy because you have to get through qualies which depending on the tourny can be tough and most of the time you face a guy who has been sitting around relaxing while you have been killing yourself. its a very tough sport to play pro.

OK.
12-24-2006, 06:28 PM

Hewitt got professional coaching at the age of 5! What the hell are you talking about? :confused: ;)

Dashbarr
12-24-2006, 06:40 PM
OK., i think Duzza cleared that up.

LachyD
12-24-2006, 10:02 PM

:confused: that is definately not true!! hewitt won his first ATP title at 16-the next generation adelaide tournament. so what ur saying is not true or he could immitate professional sports people just by looking at them and somehow got enough points to enter that tournament very quickly and somehow managed to beat very expeirienced players like agassi aswell on his way to winning it.

LachyD
12-24-2006, 10:05 PM
no its not, as someone who is trying it gets expensive. its not an easy road. u travel to some pretty crappy countries for a few points. money adds up with traveling and training and basic living setup. i got lucky and have a father who can afford to help me.

is your name by any chance maverick banes?

uxnaitoahz
12-24-2006, 11:07 PM

He didn't start at age 16 - thats the biggest bag of bs I have ever heard. If anyone can play like Hewitt in 5 years then he must be Jesus.

Whoever posted that comment please follow this link...
http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=10017627

Duzza
12-25-2006, 12:17 AM
OK., i think Duzza cleared that up.

Yeah! People have been ripping into westside about 10 times over! Just read the whole thread people!

PurePrestige
12-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Maverick66, as far as entering via IPIN. I had a question i've been trying to figure out.
You have a small chance of getting into the qualies with the whole "no rank" thing. What do you have to do in order to get a National Ranking of some sort? Does that involve another form of tournaments?

jmsx521
12-26-2006, 06:20 AM
u cant just call and enter. u need an ipin first. then some kind of a national ranking so that u can even get in to qualies. yes u can enter without a national ranking but the odds of getting into qualies at that point are very low. also u only need to win one round in main draw to get a point not a bunch. but this is not easy because you have to get through qualies which depending on the tourny can be tough and most of the time you face a guy who has been sitting around relaxing while you have been killing yourself. its a very tough sport to play pro. maverick66, I was talking about entering quallies for satellites and futures, not anything above that level… are you sure you need an IPin for that? I know somebody, without any ranking, who’d entered quallies without IPin number.

krprunitennis2, another way to get to play with very good players is to play Men’s Open division tournaments; that’s what they have here in USA. Of course you’ve got to pay for that too, but there’s no qualifying… neither any possibility to earn points. Though, the winner gets cash and possibly some wild-card to get into qualifying for bigger tournament. But again, as warning, you get lots of good players in opens… division 1 players and pros too once in a while.

krprunitennis2
12-26-2006, 08:07 AM
maverick66, I was talking about entering quallies for satellites and futures, not anything above that level… are you sure you need an IPin for that? I know somebody, without any ranking, who’d entered quallies without IPin number.

krprunitennis2, another way to get to play with very good players is to play Men’s Open division tournaments; that’s what they have here in USA. Of course you’ve got to pay for that too, but there’s no qualifying… neither any possibility to earn points. Though, the winner gets cash and possibly some wild-card to get into qualifying for bigger tournament. But again, as warning, you get lots of good players in opens… division 1 players and pros too once in a while.

Ooh! Are kids allowed? I'm 14 and I might not yet be considered as a "Man." And I want to stay as a boy all my life. =P So, are these tournaments for 18 and above?

PurePrestige
12-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Men's Open is just that, Open. Anyone of any age can play it. Much like our friend Donald Young was #1 in 18's when he was 15 or something.
But at any age you can play Men's Open's USTA if you have a USTA membership.

jmsx521
12-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Men's Open is just that, Open. Anyone of any age can play it. Much like our friend Donald Young was #1 in 18's when he was 15 or something.
But at any age you can play Men's Open's USTA if you have a USTA membership. I think, anyone can enter satelites and futures' qualifying matches as well; I don't think there is age restriction.

eunjam
12-26-2006, 02:27 PM
opens is open to anyone. i entered an open tourney in boys 14's.......and somehow i won 2 matches.

krprunitennis2
12-26-2006, 05:52 PM
opens is open to anyone. i entered an open tourney in boys 14's.......and somehow i won 2 matches.

What's your NTRP rating?

tennishead93
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
13 4.0-4.5 started at 5 quit started at 8 quit started at 12 kept going

too late to become a future pro?(shoulda kept up and 5 or 8 i kno)

Puredrivetennis
03-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Everyone makes pretty solid points, here-- unless you've been playing since you were walking, or won a national championship or equivalent at age 14 or 15, chances of success in pros is very limited. That being said, there are exceptions. Many NCAA players go on to have decent success in the pros, although it comes at the expense of travelling non stop, with very little profit margin, as you have to pay for travel, coaching, etc.
Don't let this fool you, though-- I've been playing opens for 4 years with great success--but, i've just started with sattelites and futures, and im getting absolutely spanked so far. You can't take it for granted-- the tv may make it look easy, but it's a whole new world once you break into the itf/ipin business. If you want to do it, though, go for it! Anyone that has the desire to, especially at a young age, can do it with a lot of hard work; sure, you might not ever be a Federer or Nalbandian, but just being in the presence of these people could be all the reward you ever dreamed of!

Sakumo
03-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm 90% sure McEnroe started to get serious at 13. He started to play with Carrillo or someone? Again I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that him and a pro woman's player used to play a lot at 12 and then McEnroe started to go to tournys and play hard so he stopped playing with her.

But on a different subject. I started playing seriously at 12, and have just recently started to play in nationally ranked tourneys like open 5.5's and satellites. But I had a tennis court in my backyard since 6 and I my coach tells me I have amazing talent for racket head speed. I am not that strong, but I can still hit up into the 110's on my serve. Tennis is mostly about technique, and core and leg strength. Just look at fed ;). My point being, if you give it the time and effort, and I mean a lot of time and talent, you can do it.

Puredrivetennis
03-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Agreed-- if you're incredibly gifted (dare I use the word prodigy), and start late, you do have a shot.

gugafan05
03-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Everyone makes valid points, but the main thing people have to remember is that tennis is SO mental. You can hit a perfect down the line forehand in practice 7 out of 10 times but when you get to the match you hit it more like 1 or 2 times out of 10. (This is of course if you are inexperienced mentally) The thing is, if you want to go pro, the way you have to do it is:
1) play tennis for many hours a day (like 4)
2) get off this board (no offense, but you don't have time for the board with conditioning, playing, school, work/etc.)
3) play the USTA district futures (open to anyone, no qualies, simple sectional tournies)
4) Then play the qualies for the Supers
5) Play the Super
6) The Super will give you national points which will let you gain entry to some national tournaments(junior)
7) Play all national tournaments
8) Once you are ranked in top 100 (18s), apply for ipin, and try to get in USTA Pro Circuit Futures
9) Play futures (try to get enough points and ranking to get into Challengers)
10) Once you are in the challengers you are pro

The main thing you have to remember is work, work, work. You cannot get down on yourself mentally, you have to think you are the best thing around.
When you play the Juniors Futures and Supers, you have to dominate and mentally believe you are the s-h-i-t and cant lose to those kind of players.
If you struggle in the Juniors Futures and Supers for more than a year and you are about 18, no offense, but you have no chance because if you cant even beat sectional players, you will get murdered by semipros/pros.
Thats my two cents worth.

mellofelow
03-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Interesting thread. I'll go out on a limb and say unless you're trained and groomed in a tennis academy shortly after you learn how to tie shoes, chances of reaching pro level are slim and none.

But don't be discouraged. Being in SoCal is sorta like being in a mini-pro tour. In fact, the Ojai tournament in April remains one of the oldest tennis traditions in the US. Next month will be the 107th annual. Just having a sectional ranking here is an amazing feat... that's the goal you should aim for.

Sakumo
03-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Interesting thread. I'll go out on a limb and say unless you're trained and groomed in a tennis academy shortly after you learn how to tie shoes, chances of reaching pro level are slim and none.

But don't be discouraged. Being in SoCal is sorta like being in a mini-pro tour. In fact, the Ojai tournament in April remains one of the oldest tennis traditions in the US. Next month will be the 107th annual. Just having a sectional ranking here is an amazing feat... that's the goal you should aim for.

Actually most of the people that come out of acadmys are the top ranked pro's, the ones you hear about. There are plenty of people ranked 400 and 700 you have never heard about making 100,000 a year. John Isner trained at home all his life, and he is the #1 Div. 1 college player. Phalkun a kid from a college I live next to is ranked #5 for div. 2 colleges, he didn't have one lesson until he was 20. He watched tv and copied how they played. Like I said before, if you have the time and effort, you can do it.

J011yroger
03-11-2007, 02:53 PM
You are insane, after expenses the #100 in the world makes about 30-40 grand a year. 400-700 even if they play singles and dubs are losing money playing tennis.

J

mellofelow
03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm sure Sakumo meant 100,000 yen a year. Even then, that's mostly from hustling... a la Bobby Riggs.

Puredrivetennis
03-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Not necessarily-- many players playing the atp tour consistently are backed by their country's national programme-- although it's not a huge amount of support, they may pay for travel, your coach, whatever. A consistent challenger player (say he wins 4, 5, mayyybe 6 challengers, with consistent results in the others) *can* turn a profit, if they market themselves properly. As long as they break even, many of these players don't care-- it's an amazing experience to travel around the world playing tennis every week!

Sakumo
03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Nope, you guys need to know what your talking about before letting it come out of your butt. The people around 200 make about 80,000 in endorsements, photo shoots, etc. You guys are only taking into account earnings from tourneys. The earnings from tourneys only are about 1/10th of their income. Wilson pays challenger people thousands of dollars a year to use their stuff, and that is challengers not ATP.

J011yroger
03-12-2007, 04:33 AM
^^ I am going to ignore you from now on, just letting you know so you don't wonder why I don't reply.

J

master935
03-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok, I didn't have enough time to read through all 5 pages of this thread so this may have been asked before and I just don't know. But, can't you just enter yourself into an atp qualifier no matter who you are, or if you are ranked or not?

I want just a yes or no answer on this, cause that way I can come back with a cutting remark and make you all look like babbling fools, hahahahaha

krprunitennis2
03-19-2007, 11:53 PM
...my dreams!! CRUSHED!!! XD lol. oh well, I'll grow up soon and forget it. Anyways, I'm doing okay right now, getting more sense of difficulty on the goal of becoming a pro.

baydad
03-20-2007, 01:36 AM
I just read Brad Gilbert's book. He made about 5millions in winning and
3m from other means.

It doesn't look like most players make lots of money outside of winning.

kingdaddy41788
03-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Endorsement amounts have changed quite a bit since Mr. Gilbert's days. I read an article in Tennis magazine in the past couple of years and Andre Agassi was worth somewhere around 23 million that year in endorsements (granted he has more than anyone else ever did, what with Canon and all that stuff...) That sounds like a fat load of cash to me...

kingdaddy41788
03-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Ok, I didn't have enough time to read through all 5 pages of this thread so this may have been asked before and I just don't know. But, can't you just enter yourself into an atp qualifier no matter who you are, or if you are ranked or not?

I want just a yes or no answer on this, cause that way I can come back with a cutting remark and make you all look like babbling fools, hahahahaha

I'm not 100% (and I've just taken away your cutting remark) but I don't think so. I think you can apply to do so, and they look at your Men's Open for USTA or maybe an ITF ranking...

[osu]ilovecows
03-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Actually most of the people that come out of acadmys are the top ranked pro's, the ones you hear about. There are plenty of people ranked 400 and 700 you have never heard about making 100,000 a year. John Isner trained at home all his life, and he is the #1 Div. 1 college player. Phalkun a kid from a college I live next to is ranked #5 for div. 2 colleges, he didn't have one lesson until he was 20. He watched tv and copied how they played. Like I said before, if you have the time and effort, you can do it.

Do you happen to live in Washington?

TheAeropro
03-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I just joined USTA too. I'm looking for a regional tourney. I found one at the place I play at but we are supposed to returning from vacation that day. Then there's a place in the summer that I go to and they haave one there in mid-July I think so I'll probably be there. I'm getting better every time I step on the court, it's fantastic. I'm almost a 3.5 player the way I played yesterday.

EasternRocks
03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Being a pro tennis player is really hard. You have to work hard and travel to many different places. You don't stay home much, and it is very hard to make a living from playing professional.(unless you are top 25 in the world) If you want to be a pro, you have to be really talented and work extremely hard. Its a dream, many tennis players have, but it's hard tp ahieve it! write back!!!

krprunitennis2
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Being a pro tennis player is really hard. You have to work hard and travel to many different places. You don't stay home much, and it is very hard to make a living from playing professional.(unless you are top 25 in the world) If you want to be a pro, you have to be really talented and work extremely hard. Its a dream, many tennis players have, but it's hard tp ahieve it! write back!!!

=) I'm getting better too! Yeah, I still do want to become a pro, but comparing myself to other people in the school team,...nevermind. Their shots are a lot higher.

TheAeropro
03-22-2007, 06:29 PM
yeah, there's still hope, Hewitt picked up a racquet at 16 and look where he went!!

Hewitt Aussie
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah, there's still hope, Hewitt picked up a racquet at 16 and look where he went!!

um noo... he was nearly pro when he was 16 buddy. He started playing big when he was 16.

Sakumo
03-22-2007, 10:27 PM
ilovecows;1324496']Do you happen to live in Washington?

I used to. Maybe I know you. Where in Washington do you live?

Forehand Forever
03-23-2007, 12:04 PM
um noo... he was nearly pro when he was 16 buddy. He started playing big when he was 16.

I heard he started playing when he was 14. You're saying he went pro went he was 16 after two years of playing tennis?

TheAeropro
03-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for ruining my dreams;)

Dunlopkid
03-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Yea, didn't Hewitt like win his first ATP tourney at 15?

krprunitennis2
03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I heard he started playing when he was 14. You're saying he went pro went he was 16 after two years of playing tennis?

When he was young, he played football and tennis. At 13, he put down football and sticked full time on tennis. He started young. O.o Professionals I see that didn't start as young as 3 or 5 are Federer (8), and Pierce (10 <--I think).

Duzza
03-23-2007, 09:57 PM

He played for years and years. Probably started like 6-8. He took it more seriously than his other sport, footy at about ages 12-14. Played his first ATP tourney at about 16. Still quite an achievement. I know 16 year olds who can't hit a forehand yet :p