PDA

View Full Version : Eagnas Machine Owners

Pages : [1] 2

LttlElvis
12-18-2006, 07:08 AM
OK. It is well known on these boards that Eagnas has poor customer service. It seems also that most satisfied customers are happy and really not that vocal about it. There are certain models that seem to do well. (The Flex 940 seems to be very popular and is very inexpensive for what you get). There are other models that seem to give people a lot of problems. It seems like a lot of problems are with their dropweights or their inexpensive electronic machines. Out of curiosity, would you name your model number and tell if you have had a good or bad experience with the machine itself. No need to talk about the customer service experience, because we all know. Just keep it simple.

Mine for example:

Eagnas Hawk 800: good (6 yrs)

Dunlop300
12-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Flex 940 GOOD
added Wise Tension Head - awesome

barry
12-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Eagnas Star Y12-3 - Good (8 years use)
Eagnas Flash 925 - Good (6 months use)

CS experience - 3 times in 8 1/2 years, no issues.

DADYO
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
EAGNAS PLUS 8000: Good (with a few minor problems)

rod_b
12-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Flex 940 - Good (no problems)

fastdunn
12-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Eagnas Hawk 26: OK (3 years, sold it last year)

floating clamp failed within 1 year. failed to get it replaced under warranty.

JetFlyr
12-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Eagnas Flex 940 (March, 2006, 40+ frames) -- Good experience
Added WISE tension head (same month) -- Great combination!

martymule
12-18-2006, 02:46 PM
ESG-700 - 9 years. I'm really happy with my machine.

I'm certainly not saying that an Eagnas is for eveyone - but I am glad that I decided to go with them.

WhiteSox05CA
12-18-2006, 06:52 PM
So what's all the bashing about Eagnas for? How about the Flex 740?

rod_b
12-19-2006, 05:45 AM
So what's all the bashing about Eagnas for? How about the Flex 740?

People with a negative experience will always voice their opinions more than others who have a positive experience. I will agree, though, that Eagnas' customer service is sorely lacking. This could be because their US operation is basically a warehouse full of warehouse workers who probably have no technical or working knowledge of the product. I'm ok with that. Others aren't.

Ben42
12-19-2006, 06:57 AM
I had a Flex 740. It was terrible. I tried to get Eagnas to fix it and they wouldn't.

(the condensed version.)

joe
12-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Flex 940. Great, no problems.

rqtguy
12-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Can't really beat it for the price. BTW, been to their warehouse, it is a mess. On a good day you might have two people actually there to do the required work.

BstonBruin
12-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Flex 840 (the tabletop version of the 940) no problems whatsoever. one year

WhiteSox05CA
12-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I had a Flex 740. It was terrible. I tried to get Eagnas to fix it and they wouldn't.

(the condensed version.)

What was wrong with the Flex 740?? Would you recomend anything else similar?

barry
12-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Removed, this thread is for Eagnas Machine Owners

WhiteSox05CA
12-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Have you looked at this one?

http://www.eagnas.com/chaln1.html#pioneerdc
http://www.eagnas.com/com710.html#pioneerdc

Both have the better clamps. Personally I like the linear gripper better than the rotational one, so only 2 machines I would consider is the Alpha and two Eagnas above.

You might look in the for sale section on the TW site. I have used the 710, it is decent, the Challenger I
looks better made, but have not used one.

I looked at both of those, but the Flex 740 was only $220 and looked pretty much the same.

Doesn't the Flex 740 have a linear gripper? That's what I'd want.

barry
12-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Removed, this thread is for Eagnas Machine Owners

WhiteSox05CA
12-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Yes they both have a linear gripper with a clutch, which is a plus. The gripper head has 3 parts inside and is extremely simple. About the only thing which can go wrong is the spring inside, they usually break about every 400 rackets and cost $14. Very easy to replace.

It is the same as the 710, but has cone lock clamps. My first Eagnas machine had spring-assisted clamps. My latest one has cone lock, both work well, but if you are stinging 10 or more rackets a week, the spring assisted are easier and faster to use. Both will do the job.

Did you see the feedback at Eagnas on the 740? They must sell a lot of 740's!

http://www.eagnas.com/maxcmt/cfl740.html

That's promising, but I don't know if they are for real or fake, and what's preventing Eagnas from only posting their good reviews?

Are these machines accurate in tensioning? What I'm looking for is ease of stringing, accurate tension, and fast restringing.

If I do decide to buy this machine, would I have to order it directly from Eagnas? There aren't any other retailers?

antonio
12-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I am a recent purchaser of an Eagnas Challenger 1 drop weight machine. I have to say that I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Eagnas/Maxline co. The Challenger 1 is a very "beefy" machine. It is, I believe, a very good value for the money. It has "spring assisted" swivel clamps and a very sturdy base. The linear gripper works very well. My dealings with Maxline have been all through e-mail and they have been very good about responding and mailing things out in a timely fashion. I have read all the negative reports about this company. I did a lot of research before I chose this particular machine. I am brand new to stringing and am thoroughly satisfied with this drop weight machine. I would highly reccommend it to anyone who is going to be stringing for themselves and wants to begin experimenting with "hybrid" stringing.

Good luck!

Antonio

WhiteSox05CA
12-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I am a recent purchaser of an Eagnas Challenger 1 drop weight machine. I have to say that I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Eagnas/Maxline co. The Challenger 1 is a very "beefy" machine. It is, I believe, a very good value for the money. It has "spring assisted" swivel clamps and a very sturdy base. The linear gripper works very well. My dealings with Maxline have been all through e-mail and they have been very good about responding and mailing things out in a timely fashion. I have read all the negative reports about this company. I did a lot of research before I chose this particular machine. I am brand new to stringing and am thoroughly satisfied with this drop weight machine. I would highly reccommend it to anyone who is going to be stringing for themselves and wants to begin experimenting with "hybrid" stringing.

Good luck!

Antonio

Antonio, how do I know that you don't work for Eagnas? I mean, this is one of your first posts. I wouldn't be surprised if Eagnas dudes came around these boards supporting their product and trying to convince us.

antonio
12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah I'm new to posting and new to stringing. I researched for a long time and decided that I would take a chance on a machine that was a lot less money! The Challenger 1 machine looks an awful lot like the Pioneer DC plus for much less. I just got tired of all the negative posts, thought I'd see if anyone else out there has had a positive result from this company, like I have!

PS - most of the problems that I read that people had with the machines, seemed fixable, if people would just have some patience and take the time to figure it out

LttlElvis
12-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Respectfully, I would like to keep this thread on track of particular Eagnas machine models and whether you have had a good or bad experience with that machine only. I would prefer it not to go into a debate on which machine to purchase. That can be determined after a number of people post here which ones are positive and which are negative.

With the few posts thus far, the Flex 940 seems to be a pretty good one as I have heard in the past. The Flex 740 is the same machine but a dropweight. Most likely, problems with this machine is the dropweight mechanism and not the mounting.

Eagnas owners, keep on posting which machine model you have and your experience.

Audiodude
12-21-2006, 02:38 AM
I purchased an Eagnas Hawk 80 almost four years ago. After stringing only two racquets on it, I decided to return it. The overall build quality was poor (quality of machining and finish), the clamps required much more pressure to hold the string securely than what I perceive as normal, and the mounting system, with it's little bits and pieces was cumbersome, to say the least. Yes, the machine was usable. But, in my opinion, it was poorly designed and poorly manufactured.

tennis-skater
12-21-2006, 03:16 AM
PS - most of the problems that I read that people had with the machines, seemed fixable, if people would just have some patience and take the time to figure it out

But if your putting $600 into a product, I would expect and I'm pretty sure all of you would too, for it to be in perfect condition when you buy it new with no problems. You don't go out and buy a car and the door falls off the first week you have it and be like oh well it's fixable I'm not going to complain to the dealer about selling me a POS

rod_b
12-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Antonio, how do I know that you don't work for Eagnas? I mean, this is one of your first posts. I wouldn't be surprised if Eagnas dudes came around these boards supporting their product and trying to convince us.

You think a company with a reputation for NO CUSTOMER SERVICE WHATSOEVER would take the time to find a tennis forum with thread for Eagnas machine owners, make a fake account and post a positive feedback about one of their lowest price machines?!?! LMAO!!!!

I will say one thing...whenever I have emailed with a question with the intention of buying something, they have responded. One time, even on the same day. :p You would think with 5 bazillion products, the one person there who has enough skill to even use email gets tired of emails that say "What's the difference between the X and the Y" or "Can I get a different reel of string if I buy blah blah blah." I'm not trying to stick up for them. I'm just trying to say they are what they are. If you bought a name brand DVD player from the swap meet...how much support do you think you'd get if something goes wrong as compared to buying it from a home theatre store?

mellofelow
12-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Flex 940 - defective right out of the box. I also determined that the turntable base was weak and prone to flex at tension. Returned it immediately and stepped up to....

Combo 910 - much sturdier machine. Terrible fit and finish; but capable of a good string job. Had it for 14 months and strung approximately a dozen rackets.

They still owe me the reel of string with the original purchase... but I'll be pressing my luck.

mellofelow
12-21-2006, 12:24 PM
As we all read this thread, make us go HMMMMM... "Why is this even a subject of discussion?"

If we owned a Babolat, Prince or Gamma, this discussion would not exist.

Ben42
12-21-2006, 01:13 PM
With the few posts thus far, the Flex 940 seems to be a pretty good one as I have heard in the past. The Flex 740 is the same machine but a dropweight. Most likely, problems with this machine is the dropweight mechanism and not the mounting.

That was my experience. There was so much friction on the dropweight arm that it couldn't pull consistant tensions. They were off by as much as 15 lbs. Then Maxline wouldn't fix it. Told me I just needed to drop the arm "very very slowly." Needless to say I sent it back and (after disputing the charges with my credit card company) got my money back.

WhiteSox05CA
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Which Eagnas is most accurate at tensioning? That's my top priority, consistent tension, and then ease of stringing.

Young Pete
12-21-2006, 05:19 PM
only eagnas owners should share their opinion(s) in this posting.

rod_b
12-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Which Eagnas is most accurate at tensioning? That's my top priority, consistent tension, and then ease of stringing.

My personal opinion is that you get what you pay for when it comes to the electronic stuff. While I'm happy with my Flex 940, I don't think I'd by an electronic machine from Eagnas. Drop weights are all basically the same design and theory so I can't imagine it could be way off. As far as accuracy, my crank was about 1lb off when I tested it against a digital fishing scale and a standard style tension calibrator. I'm probably getting a Wise 2086 when I get past Christmas.

dancraig
12-21-2006, 06:44 PM

I was told by Maxline that all Eagnas crank machines, from the lowest price to the top, have the exact same tension head.

LttlElvis
12-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I was told by Maxline that all Eagnas crank machines, from the lowest price to the top, have the exact same tension head.

Yes, that is why I noticed most of their problems have been with their dropweights and inexpensive electronic tensioners. I can understand people having problems with the inexpensive electronic tensioners from any brand, because they are cheaply made. Not quite sure why people have problems with Eagnas dropweights. I have not personally seen an Eagnas dropweight.

eunjam
12-21-2006, 09:29 PM
flex 740 ..... absolutely no probs.

and....i don't foresee it.....but if something does go wrong now.....and i end up having to deal with the maxline nightmare, etc. , etc., etc......and i have to end up throwing out the machine......which i don't foresee......

i paid for it soooo long ago with the money i've saved, that i really wouldn't care.

i string for my friends and myself. i am not a professional stringer, but i do a damn good job stringing.

down to about 35 minutes now. but damn consistent jobs.

if you have further questions about the 740, then PM me. real questions. not negative comments. i don't feel like getting into a thread squabble with people that have such negative connotations about maxline...not even eagnas, that what i say doesn't even matter.

WhiteSox05CA
12-23-2006, 11:16 AM
flex 740 ..... absolutely no probs.

and....i don't foresee it.....but if something does go wrong now.....and i end up having to deal with the maxline nightmare, etc. , etc., etc......and i have to end up throwing out the machine......which i don't foresee......

i paid for it soooo long ago with the money i've saved, that i really wouldn't care.

i string for my friends and myself. i am not a professional stringer, but i do a damn good job stringing.

down to about 35 minutes now. but damn consistent jobs.

if you have further questions about the 740, then PM me. real questions. not negative comments. i don't feel like getting into a thread squabble with people that have such negative connotations about maxline...not even eagnas, that what i say doesn't even matter.

I was seriously looking at the Flex 740.

Is the tensioning accurate? Some people say that they've tested and found their tension to be off by quite a bit on some of these drop-weight machines. Accurate tensioning is pretty much my top priority?

How are the clamps on this thing?

Thanks, big help!

eunjam
12-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I was seriously looking at the Flex 740.

Is the tensioning accurate? Some people say that they've tested and found their tension to be off by quite a bit on some of these drop-weight machines. Accurate tensioning is pretty much my top priority?

How are the clamps on this thing?

Thanks, big help!

clamps and tesioning are fine. my clamps hold fine after 80+ jobs and i've checked with a local shop's ERT on my string job...it has shown consistent across the stringbed.

ask yourself the following questions:

- do you have common sense? or will a horrible owner's manual throw you off your game?

- are you an independent person, or do you need hand holding?

- do you consider a bad paint job a bad machine? even though everything works?

- if you've never strung a racket before, do you have patience to learn on a dropweight that cost under $250, or do you need to learn on a $4000 babolat star, because it's a babolat star and is one of the most expensive machines around?

- is the road less travelled ok for you?

i think you know what i'm getting at....and know what my opinion is re: the eagnas that i have.

eagnas aren't for some people and that's fine.

i just don't think it's right knocking the actual stringer because the customer service of the distributor, i admit, is obviously questionable. i personally can't really comment because i have only dealt with the distributor once in my life: when i purchased it. hopefully i will never ever have to deal with them again.

straight up....my eagnas 740 is fine. it works well and i've already saved over $700 in the past 5 months. i paid for it after 2.5 weeks. (yes, i pretended i was a pro player and had a freshly strung racket every time i had a match and didn't use the same strings more than 3 times for practice. it was and still is nice.)

i'm just telling it like it is. sometimes the truth hurts for those eagnas haters.

i guess i must've gotten a defect or something because i have absolutely no probs and i'm touting eagnas....not maxline, but eagnas.

deehacker2005
12-26-2006, 06:31 PM
I purchased my Flex 940 (stand up, crank), a little less than one year ago. So far I've strung about 60 racquets, for my immediate family and a few friends. I paid $460.00, that included deliver, a reel of string (which wasn't that bad), and a set of tools.

deehacker2005
12-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Haven't had any problems with the machine, so I haven't had to call Maxline's CS.

Young Pete
12-26-2006, 10:34 PM
yea! go eagnas!!!

kooguy
12-27-2006, 07:34 AM
I bought a Flex740 and retrofit the mounting system on my Serrano machine. Very happy with it, no problem so far.:-D

LttlElvis
12-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Check out kooguy's set up. One of the most coolest posts I have seen.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83765

josephhkim
12-27-2006, 11:16 AM
it seems to be is that most people get an ok quality machine. Also, as long as the machine doesn't break, everythign seems to run very smoothly.

But once it breaks, it becomes hell to try to fix it and communicate with customer service.

Why even risk any problems when you can get great quality machines and service from companies such as alpha, gamma, laserfibre, and SP for only a little more or even same amount of money.

varuscelli
12-27-2006, 12:12 PM
I bought a Flex740 and retrofit the mounting system on my Serrano machine. Very happy with it, no problem so far.:-D

kooguy was kind enough to send in a few photos of his Serrano/Eagnas hybrid for use on photostringer.com.

I have to add a couple more, but here's his page:

http://www.photostringer.com/serrano_eagnas_740_01.htm

Good thread, by the way, LttlElvis... ;)

eunjam
12-28-2006, 10:41 PM
... even same amount of money.

list the stringers that have the same specs that costs the same.

(i.e. dropeweight, 6 points, fixed clamps, etc. etc.)

thanks!

Sean Dugan
01-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I've owned four Eagnas machines. Their base model Hawk 10 was my first stringer; a simple two point mount/drop weight with a cam gripper. I found the mounting system was a bit flimsy (nylon hold down clamps with wing nuts). I also had problems with the cam tensioner biting into strings. But for eighty nine bucks new I got what I paid for. Certainly an adequate stringer for me at the time as I was just beginning to string.

I sold the Hawk 10 and bought a used Hawk 80 from a guy in New Hampshire via this board. It had a much better mounting system, six point, a ball bearing gripper and a drop weight. The fixed clamps were of the old Eagnas variety; adequate but not so great. (The clamps Eagnas uses now are much better.) I found it to be a good table top but decided I wanted a crank tensioner and bought a used Czech table top model also via this board (which weighed about eighty pounds) ;o) Sold that machine when I moved, and bought a used Eagnas 10 tabletop with six point mounting a ball bearing gripper and drop weight tensioner. Sold that when I moved and bought a used Court & Slope (Klippermate) tabletop. I then found a great deal on a mint condition Eagnas 800 which is a stand up, six point mount with good fixed swivel clamps and a crank tensioner. No complaints, a great machine for what I paid for it.

Eagnas is often trashed but certainly for the money they offer good value. I have had good experiences with them anytime I needed something or wanted to order something. It is obvious that the owner does not suffer fools well and takes pleasure in mocking those who ask questions he deems as bothersome or stupid. The Eagnas website has a whole section devoted to such interactions along with sections devoted to trashing Silent Partner and Mutual Power. Somewhat unprofessional to say the least. The guy has clearly lost his sense of humor about dealing with the general public. Certainly understandable given how many idiots there are out there but not exactly the preferred method to establish good will for one' s business. ;o)

So, does Eagnas have the best customer service in the stringer industry? Probably not. I think you could describe their machines as offering excellent value for the money but they are but more like Chevys than Lexi. They also offer an incredibly extensive product line. I imagine a lot of the components Eagnas uses are common to other manufacturers that operate in Taiwan. (Lilly Lee. etc). Bang for the buck; Eagnas is hard to beat. If money is no object; there are other brands that offer better build quality and a higher level of customer service infrastructure, but you'll pay a premium for something you might never use. If you are stringing just for yourself, you are not going to require the same level of customer service a professional stringer needs. If I was going to string hundreds of frames a year, I would certainly look into the higher level brands. But for strictly personal use, I've found Eagnas to be more than adequate.

fastdunn
01-04-2007, 11:00 AM
It's very obvious that Eagnas would be able to increase their revenue
significantly if they improve customer service a touch better.

Case 1: exchange e-mails with Mark @ alpha. He would answer any questions
I send him even if I get into details. One question after another.
Mark would provide me with any info as far as he knows.

Case 2: e-mail with Maxline: I send one question. Typically Maxline
answers with one line. I send follow-up question. I get no reply
or "We do not give that info. sir" type of reply.

I think the part of it has cultural root. The "customer is the king" is
a western concept. It's really hard to explain. As an asian myself,
I can feel it but hard to explain it.

Also the owner of Maxline is a relative(brother?) of Lily-Lee(Eagnas).
Family relation is also somewhat different in Confuscious culture.
You stand by your brother no matter what. Sort of Michael Chang
and Carl Chang relationship(not that Carl was a bad coach)..

Jack the Hack
01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I’ve posted about Eagnas machines numerous times in the past, but I haven’t done so in over a year because the same questions keep coming up over and over again. However, since there are probably a bunch of new posters now or folks that have missed what I previously wrote, here is my experience with Eagnas machines and dealing with Maxline.

Eagnas Hawk 80 and My Initial Impressions of Maxline

The first Eagnas machine I ever bought was a Hawk 80, which is their basic drop weight table top stringer. I had looked at the Maxline website and compared the machine to other entry level offerings from other companies, and at $280, it seemed like it would be hard to go wrong.

At the time (this was around 1998 or so), I had a job where I traveled quite a bit and one of my projects took me to LA, so I decided to go directly to the Maxline/Eagnas “store” while I was in town to buy the machine. I didn’t call ahead, but rather, just put the Torrance address from their website into Mapquest and started driving.

I was expecting to find a storefront or warehouse, but instead, found myself driving around an average suburban neighborhood. When I got to the address, it was just a regular, run-of-the-mill house. I rang the doorbell, and a confused looking Asian woman answered the door. I asked if this was Maxline and told her that I wanted to buy a stringing machine. She didn’t seem to speak much English, so after about a minute, a high school age kid came to the door and let me in. We wandered through their living room and into a shop area in the back. Inside, there were stacks of boxed machines everywhere. I picked out my machine, and paid for it with a credit card (using the old paper receipt method).

Based on this experience, I was kind of surprised how “mom and pop” Maxline was. They are not some big company, but a small family operation. I understand that they now have a warehouse store in Gardena, but they are still a small company. (Usually, these types of companies live and die by quality customer service, but more on that later.)

Anyway, I used my Hawk 80 table top machine for about 6 years, and it easily paid for itself. Since the machine had no problems, I had little need to contact Maxline again… until I lost a small part on the machine while moving to a new house.

First Experience With Maxline Customer Service

As I mentioned, when I was moving, one of the small plastic mounting supports on my Hawk 80 got lost in the trip. I decided to contact Maxline to get a new part. On the first try, I called their phone number listed on the website. I just got an answering machine, so I left a detailed message regarding what I needed and asked them to call me back so I could order the part. Several days passed, and I never received a call back. Therefore, I decided to send an e-mail instead, including pictures of the part that I needed. Two days later, I finally got a reply that the part was available and would cost $5.00. I sent another e-mail asking for them to send me the part, and included my credit card info (which isn’t the safest thing to do and made me feel uncomfortable). Anyway, again, I did not get a reply for several days… so I kept following up via e-mail with no response. About a week later, I received an envelope with the part in it. So, the communication was very patchy and the payment process arcane, but they did get me what I needed.

The Eagnas 860 and My Second Experience With Maxline Customer Service

At the end of 2004, I decided to upgrade my machine and decided on an Eagnas 860, which was selling for $399.00 and included a 660’ reel of string and 4 stringing tools. I sent an e-mail to Maxline’s address on their website with all of the complete order information on December 29th of that year. 24 hours went by, and I did not hear anything from them. Therefore, I decided to call. I got Victor (I think) on the phone, and he told me that the machine was in stock and that he would ship it out that day. So… 7 days went by, and I still hadn’t received my order yet! At the end of day 7, I sent Victor another e-mail asking for the tracking number of the shipment (or a response if there was a problem with the order). Another 24 hours went by with no response. I e-mailed him again and again, and got no response. Finally, I called, got Victor on the phone, and he came up with the tracking number.

I ran the tracking number to see where the package was since it was now 10 days since I had ordered it. Turns out that Victor didn’t even send the package until January 5th, even though he told me on the phone that it was shipped on December 30th! Obviously, the dishonesty and lack of communication was very irritating, but I could live with it if the machine was OK.

The Eagnas 860 arrived on January 10th, and I immediately opened it up. To my dismay, the head support mount (made of cast metal no less) was broken completely in half! In addition, the side support mounts were completely missing… along with several screws, and the free string tools were not included. And finally, the base support legs were not the same as what was advertised on the website.

Here is a picture of the damage to the 860 when it arrived:

http://i10.tinypic.com/2cygz5t.jpg

I immediately went to the Maxline website to find out what the return procedure was. Basically, the way I read it, a damaged shipment meant that I needed to contact UPS. I called UPS, and they told me to package the shipment back up in the original box and they would return it. I e-mailed Victor about the damage, told him about the missing parts, and sent some digital photos. To no surprise at this point, he did not immediately reply. In the meantime, UPS called a couple hours later and explained that the shipping damage insurance claim would be between them and Maxline, and that normally a manufacturer would ship a replacement machine once UPS picked the old shipment up for inspection.

The next day, I finally got an e-mail reply from Victor. He told me to keep all of the parts that were good, and that he would just send replacement parts for what was damaged or missing. I replied to him that UPS had instructed me to box the entire shipment up for return, that they had already picked it up, and that I was having second thoughts about the 860. (Aside from a cast metal part breaking in shipment, the missing parts and the base difference from what was advertised kind of spooked me. In addition, I was also very unimpressed with the quality of the clamps on that machine.) I e-mailed Victor and asked him some questions about the 860, Beta, and Flex 940, and requested some recommendations. Again, no response!!! Finally, on my own, I decided that I would rather receive a Flex 940 for a replacement machine instead of another 860. I e-mailed Victor again - in fact two more times over a 48 hour period - that I wanted to change to a Flex 940 and wanted to know when he would be shipping it (especially since UPS had already picked up the old machine at that point). Finally, he responded a couple days later (just as I was filling out an online Better Business Bureau complaint about them) that a new 940 was on the way and I got it about a week later.

(To be continued due to TT post length restrictions...)

Jack the Hack
01-04-2007, 01:59 PM
(Continuation due to TT posting size restrictions…)

The Eagnas Flex 940

When the Flex 940 arrived, to my delight, all of the parts were there and intact. In addition, I was happy to find that the string clamps were upgraded from the older PN-1002 to the newer PN-1012 version (which is much better), and that there were some extra replacement mounting pads included. In addition, I got the free reel of string and the stringing tools that were promised with the original order. Just to make sure everything was working, I assembled the machine right away and strung a couple older frames I had lying around, and all was well for several months as far as I could tell.

Then, about 6 months after I purchased the 940, I began to notice that the string tensions that I was getting were wildly out of wack. I was stringing my personal racquets at 67 lbs with the same string every time, but sometimes the job felt way too tight and other times it seemed extremely low. I bought one of those tension calibration tools and did some tests on my machine. As it turned out, the tension was pulling up to 15 lbs, plus or minus off of the setting, which is obviously unacceptable! Furthermore, no matter what adjustments I made to calibrate the machine, it just kept giving me bad results. However, it soon became apparent what the true cause of the problem was…

There are two little pins or shafts that are supposed to be welded to the crank arm and go through the flywheel that the brake grabs onto. Unfortunately, on the tension head I originally received with my 940, one of these pins was not welded into place. It was like this when I first got the machine, but I did not notice it until these few months later when I encountered the noticable tension issues. I discovered the problem when the pin started falling out almost every time I cranked the arm - which made the flywheel go out of alignment and engage the brake... which made the machine impossible to use because it would stop at more and more variable tensions instead of where the tension knob was set at. Here is a picture of the problem:

http://tinypic.com/axzpxz.jpg

My Third Experience With Maxline Customer Support

My experience in getting Maxline to replace the tension head under warranty (most of their machines have a 5 year warranty) was very frustrating. I e-mailed them about the problem and they responded within a day telling me to ship the part to them for repair. However, it took them more than 6 weeks (!) before they finally shipped me a replacement tension head... and it would have been longer if I hadn't been so persistant.

Basically, over several weeks after I sent the defective tension head in, I exchanged multiple e-mails with someone named Michelle. Every time I got a reply from Michelle, it either did not address my specific questions, or she wrote one line answers that did not give me any information. (I think her English skills are worse than Victor.) Anyway, after numerous failed e-mails and phone messages that were not responded to, I finally got ahold of a young sounding girl named Kelly on the phone. Kelly went into the warehouse and found the package with the defective part I had sent them. It had been sitting un-opened (after 6 weeks!) in their shop, and nobody had even looked at it. Anyway, after seeing the defect, she immediately understood the issue and shipped out a replacement tension head that day. (Ironically, I got an e-mail from Michelle about a week later that said they would be looking into my problem "soon"... :roll: ) What a joke… if it hadn’t been for Kelly (who I think was just working there temporarily), I might still be looking for Maxline to honor their warranty.

Concluding Remarks About Eagnas and Maxline

So, to make a long story short, here is what I think of Eagnas/Maxline:

1.) The two stringing machines that I have purchased and used (the Hawk 80 and Flex 940) have been of overall good quality and are an excellent value at the prices that they sell at. Although I had a tension head issue with the 940, I don’t think that this is a common problem with that machine. In fact, I am pretty sure that Eagnas uses the same tension head on all of their spring tension machines, so the quality control was the problem with that particular part, not the machine itself. Also, although I did not have a chance to use it, I was unimpressed with the Eagnas 860… but my opinion of that machine was probably tainted by the horrible condition that it arrived in. In general, I think that Eagnas makes some machines that are solid (like the 940) for the money, but you have to be prepared for headaches if there happens to be a defect in the equipment you receive.

2.) Maxline’s customer communication is terrible and their integrity is questionable. Whether it is talking to someone with broken English on the telephone, waiting 2-3 days or more for a response to an e-mail or voicemail, or having Victor or Michelle lie directly about something they say their going to do, it is not the kind of behavior you would expect when dealing with a “professional” company in the United States.

3.) The lack of secure credit card transactions on their website is disconcerting. Maxline wants you to e-mail your credit card information or tell them over the phone, which opens you up for fraud. How hard is it for them to set up a PayPal account? (For that matter, how hard would it be to set up an E-Bay store? They could probably open up more business that way.)

4.) Maxline’s website is not kept up-to-date, so product changes are not reflected. In addition, I think it is unprofessional to air their running feud with Silent Partner and others on the site - especially when their lack of English skills - make some of their arguments hard to understand. (For example, read their “bad stranger policy” or the part about why they don’t want to be associated with the USRSA.)

5.) Other companies I have dealt with over the years, especially the smaller ones like Maxline’s size, usually bend over backwards to please the customer because they are usually competing with the giant corporations. Excellent service helps the smaller company overcome the price barriers that giant companies generally have. With Maxline, it is the opposite. Their products are decent quality and low price, but they don’t (seem to) care about customer service. (If their products weren’t so relatively inexpensive, they would be out of business by now.)

In my opinion, if you are a home stringer that is not servicing racquets for a living, then Eagnas stringing machines can be an excellent choice because of the value. Since you are not relying on the machine for income, you can probably afford to deal with any customer service issues that may arise and in the end, you will have a great machine for the money.

However, if you own a tennis store and are stringing to feed your family, then you absolutely need the best product and customer service available. (For instance, if a major part fails under warranty, you want a company that would be willing to ship you a replacement machine while the other is being fixed.) If that is the case, even though it will cost you more money, you are probably better off going with a higher end machine from Alpha or Gamma because of their superior warranty support and customer service.

DADYO
01-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Please people, say that MAXLINE CUSTOMER SERVICE is bad not EAGNAS CUSTOMER SERVICE, Eagnas makes quality (but not high-quality) machines and ships them, and their customer service is great, they reply to emails in only few hours, they're patient and try to do anything to help you.

flash9
01-05-2007, 05:55 AM
(Continuation due to TT posting size restrictions…)

The Eagnas Flex 940

If their products weren’t so relatively inexpensive, they would be out of business by now.

Well written review Jack, and you are right, if their products were not less expensive then their competition, I also believe they would be out of business.

Please people, say that MAXLINE CUSTOMER SERVICE is bad not EAGNAS CUSTOMER SERVICE, Eagnas makes quality (but not high-quality) machines and ships them, and their customer service is great, they reply to emails in only few hours, they're patient and try to do anything to help you.

Eagnas is the same as Maxline in the USA, but I have heard that there are other Eagnas distributors in other parts of the world that offer better customer service.

Jack the Hack
01-05-2007, 07:42 AM

If you go to www.eagnas.com, you are immediately directed to Maxline's website, so it is very understandable how most people would associate Eagnas directly with Maxline as if they are one and the same. However, there is no such thing as a company named "Eagnas". Eagnas is a trademarked brand name for some of the stringing machines that Lily Lee and Company make in Taiwan (and they supposedly make parts for other stringing machine companies also). Maxline is the largest distributer of Eagnas machines, and (according to the Silent Partner website) the owner of Maxline and the owner of Lily Lee are brothers.

Here is what the Eagnas/Maxline website says:

EAGNAS stringing machines are manufactured in Taiwan by Lily-Lee & Co., Ltd. Lily-Lee & Co, Ltd. is one of the largest OEM manufacturers of stringing machines in the world, and has been recognized as a full line supplier of stringing machines since 1981. See attached Good Product Design Award and Certificate of Excellence, issued by Taiwan government. EAGNAS is a registered trademark of Lily-Lee & Co., Ltd.

http://www.eagnas.com/faq.html#a0100

Here is what the Silent Partner website says:

Eagnas machines are made in Taiwan by Lily Lee and are sold in the USA by Maxline. The owners of these two companies are brothers.

http://sptennis.com/Knockoffs/

As flash9 said, Eagnas machines are actually sold by other distributers aside from Maxline in other parts of the world. Tennis Warehouse Australia sells the machines as Eagnas/Jadee brand, and if you Google the word Eagnas, you can find other distributers (which I will not list here out of respect to Tennis Warehouse).

DADYO, from previous posts, it looks like you are located in Italy. Which distributer did you buy your Eagnas 8000 from over there?

(By the way, if this description applied to the folks at Maxline - "their customer service is great, they reply to emails in only few hours, they're patient and try to do anything to help you" - then Maxline would probably sell twice as many machines as they do now and very few people would be bashing Maxline as a company or Eagnas as a brand.)

barry
01-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Curious what machine are you currently using? Also how long ago did this take place?

Eagnas recently established a store front for secure transactions at http://www.eagnas.com/store/catalog/index.php. I purchased a couple of reels of Eagnas Perfect spin and a machine and the package arrived in 5 days. My customers are big fans of the Perfect Spin and no complaints on their string jobs, which kind of says it all for me!

Lot of people comment about Eagnas, guess Eagnas is considered the Wal-Mart of the stringer industry, but it is tough to beat their price / performance!

mellofelow
01-06-2007, 08:14 AM
The padding on the K-shaped shoulder support fell out last night on my 910. FYI... this unit has only gone through 14 string jobs.:mad: :mad:

http://www.eagnas.com/jpgp/ksides.jpg

dancraig
01-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Mellofellow:
Yeah, I had some padding come loose on an Eagnas. A couple of drops from a hot glue gun made it better than new.

brayman9
01-06-2007, 03:50 PM
is the Eagnas Beta a good machine

dancraig
01-06-2007, 03:59 PM
is the Eagnas Beta a good machine

http://www.stringforum.net/mforum.php?show=eagnas_beta&model=Eagnas%20Beta

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=155579

GeorgiaRoyal
01-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I've had a Flex 740 for the last couple of weeks. It cost me $265.00 including shipping costs. This was much better than the same features on another machine. It seemed like other machines with similar features were over $400.00.

I have had no other stringing experience and didn't feel like the book gave very good instructions. I emailed them to ask them some questions and the reply I got 3 days later was refer to the tips section of the website.

However, by that time, I had gone back to it and figured it out on my own. I don't have a way to check the tension (although I am curious) so I'm not sure about it in that regard. I have, however, played with the racquet after stringing it and it felt pretty normal. I'd like to eventually get a tension checker (I think they cost about $35.00).

I'm happy with the 6 point mounting on it and am very glad I went with that. My only other attempt to string a raquet was stopped because it was a 2 point mount and I could see my frame stretching. I got nervous and stopped quickly. Having the 6 points made me feel very comfortable that the frame would be safe (even with me not being a good stringer).

I haven't strung a racquet for a couple of weeks. My strings break every 3 or 4 weeks, and I don't feel confident enough to string for my friends, yet. I'll just have to go play more so they'll break faster:D

At this point, I'm happy with my decision. With me just wanting to string primarily for myself (and maybe some friends, later) I think that getting something real expensive would be a lot more than what my needs are. If it takes me 50-70 minutes to string a racquet, then so what. I'm only stringing 1 at a time, anyway. If I was doing a lot of racquets, then I might want something electronic and easier that could do a racquet in 30 minutes.

I do have a question, though. Is there a brake on the Flex 740? There are times when I don't want the turn table to turn, but having figured out how to stop it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

dancraig
01-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I've had a Flex 740 for the last couple of weeks. It cost me $265.00 including shipping costs. This was much better than the same features on another machine. It seemed like other machines with similar features were over $400.00.

I have had no other stringing experience and didn't feel like the book gave very good instructions. I emailed them to ask them some questions and the reply I got 3 days later was refer to the tips section of the website.

However, by that time, I had gone back to it and figured it out on my own. I don't have a way to check the tension (although I am curious) so I'm not sure about it in that regard. I have, however, played with the racquet after stringing it and it felt pretty normal. I'd like to eventually get a tension checker (I think they cost about $35.00).

I'm happy with the 6 point mounting on it and am very glad I went with that. My only other attempt to string a raquet was stopped because it was a 2 point mount and I could see my frame stretching. I got nervous and stopped quickly. Having the 6 points made me feel very comfortable that the frame would be safe (even with me not being a good stringer).

I haven't strung a racquet for a couple of weeks. My strings break every 3 or 4 weeks, and I don't feel confident enough to string for my friends, yet. I'll just have to go play more so they'll break faster:D

At this point, I'm happy with my decision. With me just wanting to string primarily for myself (and maybe some friends, later) I think that getting something real expensive would be a lot more than what my needs are. If it takes me 50-70 minutes to string a racquet, then so what. I'm only stringing 1 at a time, anyway. If I was doing a lot of racquets, then I might want something electronic and easier that could do a racquet in 30 minutes.

I do have a question, though. Is there a brake on the Flex 740? There are times when I don't want the turn table to turn, but having figured out how to stop it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.eagnas.com/portable.html#FL740
If you look at the next to last item in the list of features, it says that it has a brake.

GeorgiaRoyal
01-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I see that it says that it has a brake, but I can't find the thing. I'm looking at the machine and I see no knobs around the base/turntable area. The manual says to turn the brake knob clockwise to lock the turntable. The only knobs I see aren't the brake. When I looked at the installation steps, it shows that step four of installation is to install the brake. Looking at the illustration, that makes it look like the brake is the circular thing that the turntable attaches to with the 4 screws. However, it makes no sense to turn that as it is attached to the turn table and goes around and around.

Maybe I'm an idiot, or perhaps I'm missing that piece? I don't know. I hope I'm not an idiot. That would be a huge let down. :confused:

dancraig
01-07-2007, 03:44 PM
If you click on the picture, you get another list of features. In this list, no brake is mentioned. Maybe the first list has a typo, maybe there is no brake.
http://www.eagnas.com/flex740.html

LttlElvis
01-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I haven't seen this machine personally, but the table looks too low to the table to have a brake, unless there is a simple pin stop somewhere.

eunjam
01-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I see that it says that it has a brake, but I can't find the thing. I'm looking at the machine and I see no knobs around the base/turntable area. The manual says to turn the brake knob clockwise to lock the turntable. The only knobs I see aren't the brake. When I looked at the installation steps, it shows that step four of installation is to install the brake. Looking at the illustration, that makes it look like the brake is the circular thing that the turntable attaches to with the 4 screws. However, it makes no sense to turn that as it is attached to the turn table and goes around and around.

Maybe I'm an idiot, or perhaps I'm missing that piece? I don't know. I hope I'm not an idiot. That would be a huge let down. :confused:

i have the 740 and i don't know where the brake is either.

i hope i'm not an idiot either because my parents did spend a lot of $ for my college degree.

but re: the brake, it certainly isn't necessary to string, but it certainly would be nice to have when moving the machine around because this mother is HEAVY!!

please let me know if you find out more about this mysterious brake.

Jack the Hack
01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Curious what machine are you currently using? Also how long ago did this take place?

Eagnas recently established a store front for secure transactions at http://www.eagnas.com/store/catalog/index.php. I purchased a couple of reels of Eagnas Perfect spin and a machine and the package arrived in 5 days. My customers are big fans of the Perfect Spin and no complaints on their string jobs, which kind of says it all for me!

Lot of people comment about Eagnas, guess Eagnas is considered the Wal-Mart of the stringer industry, but it is tough to beat their price / performance!

barry,

I assume these questions were directed at me... if not, please disregard.

I stated the timeframes in my narrative, but I guess you missed it. I bought my Hawk 80 back in 1998 and I got the Flex 940 in January of 2005. My tension head was defective from the beginning, but I didn't notice the problems until about May or June, 2005. I first reported the problem and shipped the entire tension head back in late June... and didn't get my replacement until August. That's over 6 weeks right in the middle of the summer that my machine was unusable because Victor and Michelle kept screwing around, lying, and not processing my warranty return. If I hadn't gotten Kelly on the phone, it would have taken even longer to get my machine back in order!

I am still using the Flex 940. I haven't had any problems since I got the replacement tension head, and I am satisfied with the machine's performance overall. I mostly string just for myself, so any of the problems I've had with Maxline have merely been a personal inconvenience. However, I do break strings quite often and with the aforementioned 6+ week delay with the tension head problem in 2005, I had to take my racquets into a pro shop to be strung because my machine was inoperable... which I obviously wasn't too happy about. (Who wants to pay $35 for a string job when you can do it yourself!)

Regarding the new online Maxline store (with credit card processing), I am glad to see them finally modernize. According to the timestamp at the bottom of the page, it looks like that new service went live on April 23rd, 2006. Without it, I'm not sure I would be comfortable using my credit card with Maxline again (and I would still be hesitant given my issues with Victor and Michelle's honesty).

On the subject of the Perfect Spin string, I got a reel of this with my machine purchase and thought it was pretty good. It looks to me like it might be a knock off of Prince TopSpin, and it performs well for that type of string. The only funny thing was that instead of saying Perfect Spin on the string, it was actually stamped "PREFECT Spin", which I thought was kind of funny! :grin:

fastdunn
01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Check out kooguy's set up. One of the most coolest posts I have seen.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83765

Yes, kooguy was a very cool guy. Kindly answered my questions in detail...

vinouspleasure
01-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Jack,

I enjoyed reading your well-written post on your experience with Eagnas stringers and customer service. I was amazed when I read that you still feel the machines are "an excellent value" given the amount of time/effort/frustration you invested in getting them fixed.

As I get older is the idea of "paying up for quality" has become more appealing. Through my thirties, I was willing to do an awful lot of pre-sale research and post-sale work to save money. As I enter my fifties and start to really become conscious that my time on this earth is limited, I'm starting to value my time a little more, I have a little more discretionary income, and I'm not willing to endure dealing with the likes of maxline.

thanks again for sharing your experience,
jd

jdub486
01-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Eagnas Combo 810 (table top version of Flex 940) September 06

60+ frames no problems whatsoever. Machine is structurally solid but the fit and finish is nowhere near a Gamma or Alpha. Overall a great value.

varuscelli
01-17-2007, 10:03 AM
As I get older is the idea of "paying up for quality" has become more appealing. Through my thirties, I was willing to do an awful lot of pre-sale research and post-sale work to save money. As I enter my fifties and start to really become conscious that my time on this earth is limited, I'm starting to value my time a little more...

Well said. I don't mean necessarily as it applies to only stringing machines, but life in general. My approach to most purchases these days is to put quality way up there in terms of the weighted factors in making a purchase. And there are a LOT of reasons to do so. In most areas you come out way ahead using that approach. You might pay a bit more, but you usually end up with something that will last, will hold its value, and will give you less grief from maintenance/quality control standpoints. And that can apply to anything from buying cars to home electronics to stringing machines to the coffee maker on your kitchen counter.

Sorry, LttlElvis. I know my comments are far removed from the intent of the thread, and I'm not an Eagnas owner so I can't speak to that part of the thread. I just wasn't sure how else to respond to the comments made by vinouspleasure. No harm intended and NO knock against Eagnas should be read into my reply. Just a general life comment. ;)

Wondertoy
02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Has anyone bought an electronic Eagnas machine?

WhiteSox05CA
02-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't buy an electric machine from what I hear. Although this thread is reassuring. I might get a Challenger I soon.

tennisadict
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Has anyone bought an electronic Eagnas machine?

I did.....i bought smart 6000 for about 1 year, and it has been good and i havent have any problem so far. I did about 100-120 rakets.

Kevo
02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I like Antonio have a Challenger 1 and it has been a good machine. Very solid in most respects, and I have had very little trouble out of it. I did drop the weight once while moving it and it broke a stop screw. I trip to home depot fixed that. I also had to clean and adjust the linear gripper once after I strung maybe about 30 frames or so. It got a bit dirty and worked itself loose slightly. Nothing out of the ordinary really. I am planning on selling it though because I want to upgrade to something a bit faster as I am stringing more than ever, and it takes me about 35 - 40 minutes to do a frame on it from pulling the old strings out to taking it off the machine. I'd like to shave about 10 minutes off that, and I think I will need a crank or electric to do that.

wombat
02-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I got a Plus 8000, about 8 moths ago, strung around 70 frames and I had no problems with the maschine, no cleaning, no repairs, no adjustments, just good value:) .

STRman
02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Flex 840. Excellent. No problems after 2 years. I had a bit of trouble with the tension head when I first got it due to lack of experience with a crank. I had been using a drop weight prior. I called Victor at Maxline and despite forgetting that he was 3 hours earlier than me coast to coast on a Sunday morning, he was patient and gave me good technical support.
My machine paid for itself long ago and I would not hesitate to buy another Eagnas if I ever need one.
Here is a tip though for those that think their tension head is fluctuating and binding. Make sure you keep the rail lubricated. If you let the grease dry up, you could get some binding.

Rob_C
02-23-2007, 03:01 AM

edit. disregard

tennis-lover
03-21-2007, 08:22 PM
I just received my Challenger 1 two weeks ago and love it.

rorschack
04-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Got the Flex 740 about two months ago. Non problemo! Loving it since I came from a world known as Klippermate. I actually look forward to stringing my rackets and friends'.

deehacker2005
04-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Bought a Flex 940 a little over a year ago, and probably strung 75 racquets. So far, no problems, clamps, turntable and tension head still working fine. When I bought it, cost me $460.00 which included shipping. I also got a full set of tools, and a reel of string. If you're a home stringer, stringing just for yourself, family and a few friends, Eagnas Flex 940 is tough to beat.

Pleepers
05-04-2007, 05:28 AM
Eagnas Hawk 26: OK (3 years, sold it last year)

floating clamp failed within 1 year. failed to get it replaced under warranty.

Fastdunn, I have some questions about your Hawk 26. Please respond!

you can e-mail me at pleepers101@yahoo.com thanks.

Terrence Kuo
05-12-2007, 04:42 AM
just bought the EAG 350.

Cost about 500 Altogether with parts and accessories.

DO you think that this machine is bad?

rondallrp
05-18-2007, 05:04 AM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only happy Eagnas machine owner...Had the Flex 920 for two and a half years.

Lambsscroll
05-19-2007, 04:46 AM
Hyper 480 = good

Supracool94
05-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Eagnas makes it tough to take a chance with them, I bought a TX-03:

http://www.eagnas.com/tx03.html

First, is was missing the power cord. Then it worked for about ten pulls and stopped working. The quality of the overall machine was not very good. Then to top it off, they were going to charge me a 15% restocking fee for returning a machine that never worked. I called my credit card company and had the charges reversed. They make it hard to give them a try, with that 15% fee. Imagine if bought a $1500.00 machine, and were charged 15% to return it. You would be out $225.00 !

Ace
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Eagnas DEN-3600. Still new, only strung 4 racquets...but so far, so good. Solid machine, good metal clamps, nice set of tools came with it, and 660' of their string, which doesn't look half-bad.

Fedfan4life
06-12-2007, 05:38 AM
Got my EAG-300 Yesterday. Here's a pic:

http://i16.tinypic.com/5x7adxw.jpg

I'll post more soon.

pnguyen_3kgt
06-15-2007, 06:27 PM
So is ordering from the maxline website a good idea? I'm about to purchase the Eag-300, but after the story from jack, im scared to commit. -_-

racingdad23
06-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Flex 940 strung approx 120 racquets zero probs. My friend has the flex 740 also no probs.

Fedfan4life
06-15-2007, 11:53 PM
So is ordering from the maxline website a good idea? I'm about to purchase the Eag-300, but after the story from jack, im scared to commit. -_-

Don't be scared to commit. I don't think Eagnas is out there giving people bad service. I certainly know what I'm going into when I was thinking about purchasing an Eagnas machine, reading from all these people who received bad machines. Luckily for me, I live 10 miles away from them. My 300 is brand spanking new and looking at the pictures, its all glossy with no defect whatsoever.

10-is
06-18-2007, 06:56 AM
I had Pro 845 model for 5 years, work perfectly well, now I have Plus 8000, but i dont know how to calibrated

Sean Dugan
06-18-2007, 01:53 PM

GoochMoney
08-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Got a EAG-300 about two weeks ago...strung 5 racquets on it so far...very easy to assemble and use. I was concerned, but not anymore. This is a lot of machine for $350 and I have already making my money back stringing buddies racquets with the Perfect Spin string that was included.

FYI - Ordered online though the Maxline site...very smooth checkout, processing, and tracking.

WBF
12-31-2007, 06:12 AM
Received an Eagnas Flex 940 for Christmas, will report results once I get a few racquets strung.

On a side note: How is the included string (Perfect Spin 16G)?

GoochMoney
12-31-2007, 06:21 AM
WBF - the perfect spin string isn't that bad...i used it to do a couple of old racquets first and it actually felt pretty nice...similar PSGD

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Proud owner of the Combo 910, and love it!!!

quest01
12-31-2007, 09:22 AM
I thought about buying the Eagnas Combo 810 which is very similar to the Alpha Revo 4000 but $90 dollars less.

Heres the comparison chart between the two

http://www.eagnas.com/com810.html#revo4

Chuck Parker
10-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I've had a Hawk 80 for more than 6 years. Mostly positive experience. Looking to replace. Looking for better swivel bases and clamps. Looks like I could get a new machine for what replacements would cost. I'm open to sugestions

Lakers4Life
10-11-2009, 08:09 AM
If you are in the market for a new or used machine. I would recomend spring assisted base clamps, over the cone-locks. Especially if you string a lot of rackets.

I recently traded my Flex 940 to a friend for a Gamma 5003, mainly for the base clamps. The only down side of the Gamma 5003 is the poor brake design. Though the new machines have a new brake, it's still made from plastic.

mlewis721
10-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Lakers.....Correct me if I'm wrong but the clamp bases on your Eagnas are held down with a piece of hardware that looks like this, no?

http://i37.tinypic.com/wlwupd.gif

Lakers4Life
10-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Lakers.....Correct me if I'm wrong but the clamp bases on your Eagnas are held down with a piece of hardware that looks like this, no?

http://i37.tinypic.com/wlwupd.gif

Yeah that's a cone-lock lever bolt.

Irvin
10-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Eagnas 700 worked fine for a 3-4 years but would not stand up to constant use. I must admit I miss the glide bar clamps at times as they are much faster. I don't miss them when I do ATW or fan rackets.

Irvin

mlewis721
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah that's a cone-lock lever bolt.

Lakers....Wouldn't it make sense to reserve the term Cone-lock for mechanisms that actually contain cones? Like this:

http://i38.tinypic.com/154dm4i.jpg

mhstennis100
10-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Flex 940 for a little more than a year. No problems

Lakers4Life
10-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Lakers....Wouldn't it make sense to reserve the term Cone-lock for mechanisms that actually contain cones?

I probably would, but Eagnas calls this a ConeLock swivel clamp base:
http://www.eagnas.com/jpgd/flsb4.jpg
http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen/flsb4.html

I'll call it anything you want, but don't call me Shirley! ;)

mlewis721
10-12-2009, 09:32 AM
BTW, if you are the owner of an Eagnas machine and you have stripped the threads on or otherwise damaged one of your clamp base handles, an inexpensive source of replacements would be an industrial supply house like McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). Just enter the keywords "adjustable handles" on their home page. I believe the thread size you would be looking for is 5/16"-20 but I'm not 100% sure, so check if you can.

film1
10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Combo 3800, the poor mans star 4

Lakers4Life
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
BTW, if you are the owner of an Eagnas machine and you have stripped the threads on or otherwise damaged one of your clamp base handles, an inexpensive source of replacements would be an industrial supply house like McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). Just enter the keywords "adjustable handles" on their home page. I believe the thread size you would be looking for is 5/16"-20 but I'm not 100% sure, so check if you can.

I'm pretty sure it's metric, but the important point is the threads match the bung (nut) that holds it to the turntable. I have not checked the price at Maxline (Eagnas), but it should not cost that much.

Topspinchris
10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Does anybody else make replacement clamps that will work on the Eagnas...I hate these dumb things(same ones as Laker posted a pic of)

Lakers4Life
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Someone mentioned it was like $300 for a pair of Eagnas Spring-assisted swivel clamp base. It's almost cheaper to buy a new machine and sell your old one. Had I found a pair I would have kept my Flex 940. Here is a picture for reference:
http://www.eagnas.com/jpgd2/c38swb.jpg

mlewis721
10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure it's metric, but the important point is the threads match the bung (nut) that holds it to the turntable. I have not checked the price at Maxline (Eagnas), but it should not cost that much.

That's a real good point you make about the bung nut. One of the great things about McMaster is that they carry about 1/2 million different items, so if you can imagine it, they probably have it. What you refer to as a bung, McMaster calls a "T-slot nut" and they have it in a couple hundred different configurations. Or maybe you decide that there's less chance of you overtightening if you switch to a knob shaped handle. Plenty to choose from.

I don't know what Maxline charges, but when I saw that Jadee Sports was charging $41.25 for a replacement, I thought I'd familiarize this crew with McMaster.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I got a Eagnas Combo 810 and its been great so far. But thats only 1 year...

jnd28
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I have the 940 which I have upgraded with the better clamp bases. I also use a wise tension head.

I have had a couple of small adjustment kinds of issues but overall I am very happy with the machine. I have been to the Maxline warehouse and agree with others that it is a complete and utter mess. I also spent some time with Victor, who I actually found quite entertaining. English is not his first language and in person you get a better idea of his sense of humor. An example: my friend was buying a tension gauge and asked Victor if it was accurate. Victors response was "are you going to do some scientific experiments with it?" On the phone it would sound like a rude brush-off. In person I died laughing!

He was extremely helpful and took a great deal of time demonstrating how to adjust the spring lock clamps.

For the money they are hard to beat.

JND28

kato669
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I just got a Combo 910. Unit assembled with no issues (with minor scratches from shipping, no big deal). I was hesitant placing the order for the machine because of all the issues people talk about with Eagnas machines but the unit assembled together perfectly with no heroics/sanding/re-drilling required. I've strung 3 racquets so far and the machine was a breeze to use. I haven't had to deal with Maxline at this point so other than prompt shipping (unit arrived in about 4 days) they've done a good job. I'm very happy with the purchase. Count me as a satisfied Eagnas user.

Edstringer13
10-29-2009, 06:18 PM
http://eagnas.com/fl722e.html
http://eagnas.com/smart600.html
Smart3000
SMART600
fLEX722E
Neon CSX upgraded model
Combo 3800
Another question.
Using electric machines would i be able to string small rackets in one piece using about 36 ft,as i use on crank manual machine?
thanks a lot if you'll can help me.

Lakers4Life
10-29-2009, 06:47 PM
The Smart 6000 would be my choice for electronic machines in the lot. I don't recommend the Flex 722e nor the Neon CSX.

The distance of the tension head will be in the same place from the start. Unlike a crank where the tension head can start from almost any position along the rail. You should have at least 6" to 1 foot of string to pull or you will need a starting clamp to bridge the gap. Some have used scrap string, but you are better off using a starting clamp, also a handy to have.

RDANGOY730
10-31-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi antonio,I ordered challenger 1 oct 29,and shipped the next day will wait for about 4-5 business days,im also new to home stringing and also researched bout stringing machine.Is the dropweight needs to be calibrated since i know its factory calibrated?anyone can help me?
Thanks! Renato

Lakers4Life
10-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi antonio,I ordered challenger 1 oct 29,and shipped the next day will wait for about 4-5 business days,im also new to home stringing and also researched bout stringing machine.Is the dropweight needs to be calibrated since i know its factory calibrated?anyone can help me?
Thanks! Renato

Drop weights only need to calibrated once, just to verify the marks are correct on the rod.

Edstringer13
10-31-2009, 12:39 PM
The Smart 6000 would be my choice for electronic machines in the lot. I don't recommend the Flex 722e nor the Neon CSX.

The distance of the tension head will be in the same place from the start. Unlike a crank where the tension head can start from almost any position along the rail. You should have at least 6" to 1 foot of string to pull or you will need a starting clamp to bridge the gap. Some have used scrap string, but you are better off using a starting clamp, also a handy to have.

Smart 6000 looks really good for the price.I heard that their head tensioners don't last very long and it's luck to ge from a good batch.
But what's wrong or what have you heard from Flex722e or Neon CSX that is bad?
How much of string do you use in one piece in your experince?
thanks

Lakers4Life
10-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I string from reels most of the time, and lately a lot of two piece jobs. For mains I measure from the top of the racket to the bottom of the stringbed to the throat, 8 to 9 times then double it, depending on the pattern. I have about a foot of string on each end of the mains. The crosses are done the same way. If you go by the recommended string guides they are usually pretty generous.

As for the Flex722e and the Neo CSX, they are older style electronic tension heads. The Smart 6000 and the Combo 8000 is what I would go for.

If you live close to Maxline in Gardena, you could buy the Flex722e or the Neon CSX. A Wise 2086 on any of the crank machines or higher dropweight machines are probably a better bet than the lower end electronic tension heads.

Edstringer13
10-31-2009, 03:25 PM
no, i live in the east cost.
But is there any difference between buying on Eagnas website and buying on Maxiline website?

kato669
10-31-2009, 03:47 PM
<snip>
But is there any difference between buying on Eagnas website and buying on Maxiline website?

There is no difference. Eagnas.com will refer you to their store, which in the US is run by Maxline.

Whois shows the eagnas.com domain is owned by Maxline.

RDANGOY730
10-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks lakers4life,so if i calibrate it w the calibrator once i can retrurn it since i only have to do it once.

Lakers4Life
10-31-2009, 08:45 PM
More or less, Yes. One guy happen to peal the sticker off his tension rod, and needed a scale/calibrator to align the replacement sticker.

I use my digital scale for other things other than calibrating my machine. It's great for weighing packages, luggage and fish.;)

tennisman917
11-07-2009, 05:15 PM
i had the eagnas flex 920 it wasnt that great and on top of that the table lock was broken

RDANGOY730
11-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Got my challenger I lastweek and have strung 3rackets,gettina familiar with the machine on the 3rd racket and especially the dropweigth w linear gripper.as with other eagnas owner im pretty happy with the machine for the price, as with the customer service i always communicate thru e mail and no problem with them,btw the shipping package is not that perfect and got some chips on paints maybe they should improve the packaging to prevent those paint chips.planning to get more strings and practice more on my technique.btw thanks alot to yulittle'sy u tube on stringing instructions i got so many tips and techniques on proper stringing.
Renato

downs_chris
11-09-2009, 03:36 AM
i've had my eagnas hawk 800 for 11+ years...i've stripped the bolt on the base clamp recently and just bought one floating clamp...done 1000+ racquets...

RDANGOY730
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
i've had my eagnas hawk 800 for 11+ years...i've stripped the bolt on the base clamp recently and just bought one floating clamp...done 1000+ racquets...

Wow!11yrs and 1k racquets!good for you.btw what floating clamp you got?
Question to anyone do you really need a starting clamp when using a fixed clamp?and also on pulling two strings on starting the mains it is that possible with my linear gripper dropweigth machine?

mlewis721
11-09-2009, 11:00 AM

Why not just replace the bolt?

downs_chris
11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Why not just replace the bolt?

haha...since I order so much from tennis-warehouse, i just got the floating clamp from them...i think i want to upgrade my machine to something that has base clamps that only need a quarter turn...

as for the starting clamp -- if you have 2 fixed clamps, there's no need for a starting clamp...

jim e
11-12-2009, 09:42 AM
as for the starting clamp -- if you have 2 fixed clamps, there's no need for a starting clamp...

Thats not really true.I have fixed swivel clamps and there are a good # of reasons for a starting clamp. Below are ones that come to mind.

1.I have used it for flattening out the tip end of the string, which made cutting the tip at an angle easier, to help slide the string through a blocked hole.
2.Also used to bridge a scrap piece of string, to extend the length of string to reach tension head when string was a little short.(This saved my behind a # of times, I could have tied a string, but that is time consuming, and not reliable!)I keep a separate starting clamp with a scrap string on it when this situation happens, I am all set to bridge the string.
3.Also, there are some racquets where the cross tie off to start is listed to tie on a cross string,one example,Babolat PStorm, the cross tieoff is on the 3rd cross (not on a main). You need a starting clamp so you can weave the first several crosses , then tieoff at the 11 H.as listed. You can enlargen a grommet if you want to as long as you do this before you start, but is not what manuf. stringing pattern lists
4.I also use a starting clamp to start my crosses, so all knots are the same,and you would not be tying off on a main string and pulling tension against it, and when using thin gut or other 'fragile' multifilament strings, and especially at higher tensions, it is not uncommon to snap that first cross string right at the knot or at the two sharp turns the string makes, With using a starting clamp, you do not pull tension against these turns. The USRSA stated at the stringers symposium this past Oct.that they will be updating their recommended procedure, for using the starting clamp use to start crosses.Starting knots could be a thing of the past.
5. Some ATW patterns require the use of a starting clamp, (Or use of flying clamp, to use like a starting clamp), to hold the tension of the string on outside of the frame, until you free up a machine clamp.

I have 3 starting clamps, granted I do not use all 3 at one time, but they are a handy tool to have, and even a good one is cheap enough.

leafscat
11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Thats not really true.I have fixed swivel clamps and there are a good # of reasons for a starting clamp. Below are ones that come to mind.

1.I have used it for flattening out the tip end of the string, which made cutting the tip at an angle easier, to help slide the string through a blocked hole.
2.Also used to bridge a scrap piece of string, to extend the length of string to reach tension head when string was a little short.(This saved my behind a # of times, I could have tied a string, but that is time consuming, and not reliable!)I keep a separate starting clamp with a scrap string on it when this situation happens, I am all set to bridge the string.
3.Also, there are some racquets where the cross tie off to start is listed to tie on a cross string,one example,Babolat PStorm, the cross tieoff is on the 3rd cross (not on a main). You need a starting clamp so you can weave the first several crosses , then tieoff at the 11 H.as listed. You can enlargen a grommet if you want to as long as you do this before you start, but is not what manuf. stringing pattern lists
4.I also use a starting clamp to start my crosses, so all knots are the same,and you would not be tying off on a main string and pulling tension against it, and when using thin gut or other 'fragile' multifilament strings, and especially at higher tensions, it is not uncommon to snap that first cross string right at the knot or at the two sharp turns the string makes, With using a starting clamp, you do not pull tension against these turns. The USRSA stated at the stringers symposium this past Oct.that they will be updating their recommended procedure, for using the starting clamp use to start crosses.Starting knots could be a thing of the past.
5. Some ATW patterns require the use of a starting clamp, (Or use of flying clamp, to use like a starting clamp), to hold the tension of the string on outside of the frame, until you free up a machine clamp.

I have 3 starting clamps, granted I do not use all 3 at one time, but they are a handy tool to have, and even a good one is cheap enough.

As a soon to be rookie stringer. How many starting clamps would you use at one time? Sounds like two, if you are waiting for a cross to tie the main off on and you are starting the cross with a starting clamp. Just wondering how many I need.

Thanks

jim e
11-12-2009, 10:01 AM
As a soon to be rookie stringer. How many starting clamps would you use at one time? Sounds like two, if you are waiting for a cross to tie the main off on and you are starting the cross with a starting clamp. Just wondering how many I need.

Thanks

Only one is really needed, and others will tell you you do not need any.I peronally would not want to work without one.
The only reason I bought 3 was to try out a few different ones, and have one prestrung with a scrap string at all times when I need to bridge a short string, plus in case one should fail over time.I purchased one from gss, a gamma and an alpha starting clamp, and I really like the gss one the best, but they all work as designed, none have ever failed, the alpha is just a little wider sizewise, all were cheap relatively speaking.Beware though, in the past some people here purchased a starting clamp from Eagnas, and they reported getting a rusted one that would not work and had to pay to ship it back, and was cheaper to get a good one to start. To get a good one is cheap enough.

cj6666
11-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Got my challenger I lastweek and have strung 3rackets,gettina familiar with the machine on the 3rd racket and especially the dropweigth w linear gripper...

Just got my Challenger 1 and I must confess a bit of "Buyer's Remorse". I'm upgrading from Gamma X2 and I like the fixed clamp on Challenger but does not like the linear gripper. It slows me down having to carefully lay down the strings inside the gripper. On top of that, having to worry about running out of rotation because I'm using mostly multi or synthetic string and they stretches. The gripper rotate from 3 clock to 9 clock and have not reached tension yet. I'm only doing 55lb, doing higher tension would be even more bothersome, I imagine.

I think the linear gripper being gentle to gut is over-rated.

Is there any way to convert this tension head to crank? or downgrade to regular gripper?

leafscat
11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=jim e;4101439]Only one is really needed, and others will tell you you do not need any.I peronally would not want to work without one.
The only reason I bought 3 was to try out a few different ones, and have one prestrung with a scrap string at all times when I need to bridge a short string, plus in case one should fail over time.I purchased one from gss, a gamma and an alpha starting clamp, and I really like the gss one the best, but they all work as designed, none have ever failed, the alpha is just a little wider sizewise, all were cheap relatively speaking.Beware though, in the past some people here purchased a starting clamp from Eagnas, and they reported getting a rusted one that would not work and had to pay to ship it back, and was cheaper to get a good one to start. To get a good one is cheap enough.[/QUote/]

Jim e, thanks for the advice. Since I am looking to buy a machine from Alpha. I think I'll take your advice and order a clamp from them. Perhaps in the future I'll try another brand as well.

wrxtotoro
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Just got my Challenger 1 and I must confess a bit of "Buyer's Remorse". I'm upgrading from Gamma X2 and I like the fixed clamp on Challenger but does not like the linear gripper. It slows me down having to carefully lay down the strings inside the gripper. On top of that, having to worry about running out of rotation because I'm using mostly multi or synthetic string and they stretches. The gripper rotate from 3 clock to 9 clock and have not reached tension yet. I'm only doing 55lb, doing higher tension would be even more bothersome, I imagine.

I think the linear gripper being gentle to gut is over-rated.

Is there any way to convert this tension head to crank? or downgrade to regular gripper?

Just pull your string when you put it on the gripper and then use your pinky finger to slide the gripper to start gripping the string. It should be fine. I used the linear gripper to string gut and it's perfect for the job.

The spring inside the clutch tends to break or slip though. :( My third one just broke last week and I ordered a Wise 2086 as a replacement. It should come by UPS on Monday. I am now just praying it's worth $500.

princemidplus
11-14-2009, 01:14 AM
challenger II (one with no ratchet) - great.

the little screw that held the dropweight up above the frame broke in about a month but easy to replace and not essential.

RDANGOY730
11-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Im thinking of putting a diablo on my string linear gripper but i have not seen anyone using it and dont know if you can connect it with the challenger I,anyone can suggest?

RDANGOY730
11-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Actually i got a new technique on using a diablo on my challenger I,i put one loop on the rachet before i put ir in the lineae gripper and it worked esp on synthetic gut,.i answered my own ?.

crazyrange
11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
I love my challenger I. The only qualm I have is stringing natural gut. It's pretty much a necessity to have a starting clamp to string that. Otherwise, I love the 6pt mounting system, fixed clamps, and linear gripper

Buckethead
11-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Eagnas EAG 860 $429
Eagnas Flash 920 $539
Eagnas Combo 910 $499
Eagnas Beta $429
What do you experts think about these?
Have you all had any experience with these?
Any feedback at all?
thanks

kato669
11-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I recently purchased the Combo 910 and I'm very happy with the machine. I've done strung about a dozen times on it and the sticks have been spot on.

Pros:
- The machine has fixed swivel clamps which lock down easily. Big improvement from the floating clamps I was coming from.
- Disc brake turntable lock for Prince O3/Wilson Roller type racquets which is quick to lock down and release.
- Tension head is the standard Neos-type design and is easy to adjust and operate.
- Easy to assemble and tension head was pre callibrated (checked with a spring tension callibrator I bought with the machine).
- Comes with a full reel of string (Eagnas Perfect Spin) which is okay to play with but definitely good for practice if you're just beginning to learn
- Price: I mainly string for myself so price was a concern. Machine does an excellent job for the price. Great value.

Cons:
- Packing can be improved. Machine did have a few nicks on it that could have been prevented with better packing
- Instructions are not the best and can be improved also. Stringing guide is a bit of a stretch calling it that. Not helpful at all.

Tech Support
Haven't used it yet, don't plan to but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. YULitle's videos and other web resources have been my main sources of info.

Good luck on your decision.

Rumruner
11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
OK. It is well known on these boards that Eagnas has poor customer service. It seems also that most satisfied customers are happy and really not that vocal about it. There are certain models that seem to do well. (The Flex 940 seems to be very popular and is very inexpensive for what you get). There are other models that seem to give people a lot of problems. It seems like a lot of problems are with their dropweights or their inexpensive electronic machines. Out of curiosity, would you name your model number and tell if you have had a good or bad experience with the machine itself. No need to talk about the customer service experience, because we all know. Just keep it simple.

Mine for example:

Eagnas Hawk 800: good (6 yrs)
Eagnas 6500 Plus good 6 years

Buckethead
12-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I recently purchased the Combo 910 and I'm very happy with the machine. I've done strung about a dozen times on it and the sticks have been spot on.

Pros:
- The machine has fixed swivel clamps which lock down easily. Big improvement from the floating clamps I was coming from.
- Disc brake turntable lock for Prince O3/Wilson Roller type racquets which is quick to lock down and release.
- Tension head is the standard Neos-type design and is easy to adjust and operate.
- Easy to assemble and tension head was pre callibrated (checked with a spring tension callibrator I bought with the machine).
- Comes with a full reel of string (Eagnas Perfect Spin) which is okay to play with but definitely good for practice if you're just beginning to learn
- Price: I mainly string for myself so price was a concern. Machine does an excellent job for the price. Great value.

Cons:
- Packing can be improved. Machine did have a few nicks on it that could have been prevented with better packing
- Instructions are not the best and can be improved also. Stringing guide is a bit of a stretch calling it that. Not helpful at all.

Tech Support
Haven't used it yet, don't plan to but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. YULitle's videos and other web resources have been my main sources of info.

If i'm paying for something new,i want it to look like brand new,no scratches,until i do it myself,if it happens.I really take great care of my stuff.
Do you think if i called them and asked for better packaging in case i wanted to buy,they'd do something.
Dis yours have lock-out system?

Lakers4Life
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Eagnas 6500 Plus good 6 years

I'm considering a Plus 6500, I thought it was a new product.

Lakers4Life
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Eagnas EAG 860 $429
Eagnas Flash 920 $539
Eagnas Combo 910 $499
Eagnas Beta $429
What do you experts think about these?
Have you all had any experience with these?
Any feedback at all?
thanks

The 860 and Beta have similar mounts, with bar clamps. The Flash 920 has Gamma style mounts with cone-lock base clamps, the Combo 910 has Alpha style mounts with lever clamps.

It all depends on how many rackets you plan to string in a year. I would consider a Comet 11, Plus 6500 or a Plus 5500 (tabletop version of the 6500). All of these have self centering mounts with lever base clamps.

dgdawg
12-01-2009, 02:24 PM
If i'm paying for something new,i want it to look like brand new,no scratches,until i do it myself,if it happens.I really take great care of my stuff.
Do you think if i called them and asked for better packaging in case i wanted to buy,they'd do something.

Let us know how Vic responds to this question. Should be good :)

kato669
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM
<snip>

Based on what others has posted regarding Maxline I doubt they would open the box up and insert more padding in. It wouldn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The tension head is the lock-out type of head with a crank.

Buckethead
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
The 860 and Beta have similar mounts, with bar clamps. The Flash 920 has Gamma style mounts with cone-lock base clamps, the Combo 910 has Alpha style mounts with lever clamps.

It all depends on how many rackets you plan to string in a year. I would consider a Comet 11, Plus 6500 or a Plus 5500 (tabletop version of the 6500). All of these have self centering mounts with lever base clamps.

I'm thinking about buying for myself,and to get the money back i'll put some adds around and then get the money back possibly.
Have you used any of these?
Can you name what would be your choices?
thanks

Buckethead
12-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Based on what others has posted regarding Maxline I doubt they would open the box up and insert more padding in. It wouldn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The tension head is the lock-out type of head with a crank.
So ,why are they so bad as customer service goes?
It's no-brainer ,that you should try to make your customers as happy as they can be.

Lakers4Life
12-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking about buying for myself,and to get the money back i'll put some adds around and then get the money back possibly.
Have you used any of these?
Can you name what would be your choices?
thanks

I used to own a Flex 940, the only thing I did not like about it was the Cone-lock or Screw base clamps. I traded it for a Gamma 5003, but the 5003 has a crappy brake, not great for Prince O3 rackets. I'll probably sell my Gamma and get either the Plus 6500 or the Comet 11. Both are the same price, but I'm still debating which one to get. The Combo 910 is probably the one I would recommend, though it's a Flex 940 with better base clamps. BTW I bought my 940 used for $300. I prefer centering mounts, that's what most of the higher end machines have.

Depending on what the going rate in your area is for stringing, you can make at least $10 a racket. If you string 50-60 rackets that's about $500 plus materials. I do 40-50 rackets a month as a hobby and not really a business. I put all the money I make on rackets in a separate bank account, then when I need supplies, league fees, etc., I draw from that account. So far I've made enough to pay for my first machine, upgraded my tools, buy string, grip supplies, Wise 2086, and probably enough for a better machine. I also have a project Prince 5000 table, I'm slowly building. I advertise in Craigslist, but most of my clients are by word of mouth.

So ,why are they so bad as customer service goes?
It's no-brainer ,that you should try to make your customers as happy as they can be.

Maxline is in the business to sell machines, wholesale if possible, and not really "walk-in" type customers. Though Victor is quite a character according to some. I personally met him once and was pretty much as I expected. Though others have had pleasant experiences, and others more confrontational, at best. So it's a hit or miss. I for one, know what I'm buying and don't need any hand holding. You might get better CS from the other companies, but you also pay for it, as much as twice the cost.

As for Shipping, pick up if you live in So Cal, if not claim on the shippin insurance. That's why you pay for insurance.

Buckethead
12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
You got my idea about stringing for others.
About the CS,if i buy can ask them to insure the delivery?
I'm still thinking,but i don't think i need any better,i think i'll be fine with either one.
Thanks for all the replies.

wrxtotoro
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
The Eagnas staffs DO have communication/attitude problem. However, if you take a picture of the broken part and send it to them by email, they usually provide a email response with the pricing information (VERY brief but I am sure you can understand the reply email if you try.) within 24 hours. You know, a picture sometimes worth a thousand words...

I contacted them three times before and I usually receive the replacement part within 2-3 days. However, some of their part do seems inferior in quality when compare to Gamma or Alpha. Eventually you got what you paid for...

gokou703
12-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Did I miss something or did eagnas raise their prices? The eagnas 300 listed at $399. I swear it was a lower than that last time I checked.

dancraig
12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Did I miss something or did eagnas raise their prices? The eagnas 200is listed at $399. I swear it was a lower than that last time I checked.

If you mean Eagnas 300, yes. They went up $50 a good while back.

Lakers4Life
12-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Eagnas has always had some wierd pricing. I do remember the EAG 300 going for $349. The Flash models (Gamma Prog clones) are priced higher than other models with similar features. There are usually 3 to 4 models with similar specs, but with slightly different prices.

Blade0324
12-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Flash 925 here for 2.5 years several hundred racquets done absolutely perfect. Added Wise unit and it's fantastic.

barry
12-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Flash 925 here for 2.5 years several hundred racquets done absolutely perfect. Added Wise unit and it's fantastic.

Small world! I purchased my 925 machine in February 2007 off the big auction site new for $470. With a Wise, it has worked flawlessly for over 1500 frames. I do clean it once in a while, but the cone lock clamps have worked perfect and the 3 tooth clamps have lasted much longer than I predicted.

In 2 years, I never had to contact CS for anything.

Blade0324
12-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Small world! I purchased my 925 machine in February 2007 off the big auction site new for $470. With a Wise, it has worked flawlessly for over 1500 frames. I do clean it once in a while, but the cone lock clamps have worked perfect and the 3 tooth clamps have lasted much longer than I predicted.

In 2 years, I never had to contact CS for anything.

sounds exactly like my experience. I got mine from them in Cali directly and had it shipped to my home. Order process, shipping, machine all perfect. I love the 3 tooth clamps and only have to clean every so often. The Wise head was a perfect add on. The only way I will go away from this is if I somehow get very wealthy and can get a high end Babolat.

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
910 Combo. 2 years, fantastic machinery. No problems, excellent buy.

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Pros:

Cons:

Tech Support

I agree with this in that it is a great machine. Mine arrived without any blemishes and was easy to assemble. The manual is OK, if you've never strung before, you'll want someone who knows how to string take you thru it, if not it's no problem at all.

Buckethead
01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm considering a Plus 6500, I thought it was a new product.

Lakers,
i am thinking about just getting a cheap machine,and i was thinking about the Flex 920($379) and Flex 940($419).Can you break it down for me in advantages and misadvantages?
You had a Flex 940 right?So what's the difference between the the 2 of them.
I don't want to spend money on an Eagnas machine,since it may already come broken ,with loose screws,scratched and what not,and i know their CS isn't good and will not replace anything ,without spending xtra money so,that's why i am between these 2,and i even thought about the Signum Pro X-8000 ,i guess,but that would cost me around $1100 ,and i'd have to buy a stand.
Let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Lakers4Life
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Lakers,
i am thinking about just getting a cheap machine,and i was thinking about the Flex 920($379) and Flex 940($419).Can you break it down for me in advantages and misadvantages?
You had a Flex 940 right?So what's the difference between the the 2 of them.
I don't want to spend money on an Eagnas machine,since it may already come broken ,with loose screws,scratched and what not,and i know their CS isn't good and will not replace anything ,without spending xtra money so,that's why i am between these 2,and i even thought about the Signum Pro X-8000 ,i guess,but that would cost me around $1100 ,and i'd have to buy a stand.
Let me know.
Thanks in advance!

The 920 and 940 a very similar machines. The 940 looks slightly better because of the turntable plate and disc brake, but other than that they perform quite well. As for CS, it's a matter of how you look at it. Some have said getting replacement part is pretty easy and fast. If you are worried about CS get an Alpha or SP. Personally, I would get a Combo 910 or 810, if you plan on stringing a lot of rackets.

Buckethead
01-15-2010, 10:06 AM
The 920 and 940 a very similar machines. The 940 looks slightly better because of the turntable plate and disc brake, but other than that they perform quite well. As for CS, it's a matter of how you look at it. Some have said getting replacement part is pretty easy and fast. If you are worried about CS get an Alpha or SP. Personally, I would get a Combo 910 or 810, if you plan on stringing a lot of rackets.
Thanks,so if it is to string many rackets,those 2 won't be reliable?
I found someone who is selling a babolat star 3 that needs a head tensioner replaced,do you know how much is it,or how hard it is to replace the thing myself?Would it be worth it??
Also if i buy the Eagnas machine i will need to calibrate it ,right?How can i calibrate it,is there any threads about it??
hat kind of tools do i need to get in order to calibrate the machine?
Thanks again Lakers!

Lakers4Life
01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
They come calibrated from the factory. It's a good idea to buy a digital scale for accurate calibration. But you don't need to constantly calibrate it. Maybe after about 10 string jobs or so.

Look for eForcity on fleabay, less than $9 for a digital scale.

Buckethead
01-17-2010, 03:45 PM
They come calibrated from the factory. It's a good idea to buy a digital scale for accurate calibration. But you don't need to constantly calibrate it. Maybe after about 10 string jobs or so.

Look for eForcity on fleabay, less than $9 for a digital scale.
http://www.deals2buy.com/show/56110011/deals.htm
http://www.eforcity.com/cothlugscle1.html?efaffcojudtf081020=cothlugscle1

Which one works better,or it doesn't matter??
Do you know any threads here that guides step by step how to calibrate the machine??
thanks again

jim e
01-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Do you know any threads here that guides step by step how to calibrate the machine??
thanks again

For calibration the 1st one will not do you much good.It weighs an item that you place on it, and only then goes to 2 lbs. May be useful to weigh your racquet.
For calibration the 2nd one should work,as long as it is accurate(and ? how accurate such a scale is unless you can check it against a known weight and check it for accuracy), as it is a luggage scale that you can attach a string to for checking tension.
As far as your 2nd question, it depends on your machine how it is calibrated. Not all machines are the same.

kato669
01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
The first link seems to be a mail/food scale with top capacity of 2lbs. The second link is the exact scale I have and works great as a calibrator.

There are directions on how to adjust the Eagnas crank in the instructions given with the machine. There is a couple of screws you need to mess with, one is a lock screw which allows the crank to be adjusted, the other, clockwise/counter clockwise adjusts the tension up and down. It's pretty straightforward.

Lakers4Life
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM

thanks again

The second one, but it's cheaper off their fleabay store. Don't know why it's cheaper on thier fleabay store, but it's the same digital scale.

Buckethead
01-21-2010, 08:27 AM
For calibration the 1st one will not do you much good.It weighs an item that you place on it, and only then goes to 2 lbs. May be useful to weigh your racquet.
For calibration the 2nd one should work,as long as it is accurate(and ? how accurate such a scale is unless you can check it against a known weight and check it for accuracy), as it is a luggage scale that you can attach a string to for checking tension.
As far as your 2nd question, it depends on your machine how it is calibrated. Not all machines are the same.
I think the 2nd one is the same the Eagnas sell,but the only difference is the Logo and the price.

Buckethead
01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
The second one, but it's cheaper off their fleabay store. Don't know why it's cheaper on thier fleabay store, but it's the same digital scale.
I only found the 2nd one being sold by people in Taiwan,so if it's US i can go ,but from other countries it may be hard if they sen dthe wornd one,or it's defective,or something.
I am still going to look for ,and i am gonna use the first to weigh rackets and the 2nd to calibrate the machine.
Does that calibrator work for electric machines as well?
I'm probably gonna buy the machine in the beginning of February.

Lakers4Life
01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
I only found the 2nd one being sold by people in Taiwan,so if it's US i can go ,but from other countries it may be hard if they sen dthe wornd one,or it's defective,or something.
I am still going to look for ,and i am gonna use the first to weigh rackets and the 2nd to calibrate the machine.
Does that calibrator work for electric machines as well?
I'm probably gonna buy the machine in the beginning of February.

I've ordered twice from them (fleabay) and the shipping label says it was shipped from Arcadia, CA, via parcel post. I've order from a company in Hong Kong, and the label is much different.

I use it once in a while to verify my Wise 2086 is right on.

BTW what machine did you decide on?

Buckethead
01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I've ordered twice from them (fleabay) and the shipping label says it was shipped from Arcadia, CA, via parcel post. I've order from a company in Hong Kong, and the label is much different.

I use it once in a while to verify my Wise 2086 is right on.

BTW what machine did you decide on?
Lakers,i haven't decided yet .:?:?
You told me that for stringing many rackets they wouldn't last.
So,feel free to give me your view point of them,pros and cons about the 2 of them..
I'm kinda broke,so tennis is just a hobby,and i don;t want to make it more expensive than already is,but if i can make some money stringing as well,would be great,as we talked about the adds on the famous website.

ewcrider
01-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I bought a Flex 722e over the summer, with optional led tension display upgrade, and have strung about 20-30 times with it. Overall, here are some things noticed.
It does not come with a tension calibrator, but I highly recommend buying one. My machine did not arrive calibrated. other than the calibrator, it came with all the tools i needed for assembly and operation.
The instruction booklet is sufficient for operating the machine, but it does not show everything about stringing. For additional help, see youtube videos.
The only problem with the product in terms of hardware is that the power input is not secured. If not careful, it will pull right out when removing the power cord from the tensioner.
I think the instructions say to secure the string in the tensioner manually by using an included hex key. For me, this is not necessary. Simply wrapping the string over the tension head before going inside works great. as the head turns, the tension in the string closes the tension head.
All the mechanical parts seem very strong and sturdy. my table top machine weighs about 60 lbs.
Overall, I'm glad with my purchase.

Lakers4Life
01-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Lakers,i haven't decided yet .:?:?
You told me that for stringing many rackets they wouldn't last.
So,feel free to give me your view point of them,pros and cons about the 2 of them..
I'm kinda broke,so tennis is just a hobby,and i don;t want to make it more expensive than already is,but if i can make some money stringing as well,would be great,as we talked about the adds on the famous website.

Did I say that?

I meant if you plan on stringing a lot of rackets for other people, besides yourself. You are better off getting the Combo 910 over the Flex 940. Only because of the base clamps. The Eagnas Cone-Lock (screw type), really wear down the hands, if you do more than a couple of rackets a day. I've used both the 920 and 940, They are basically the same machine, with the exception of the disc brake on the 940 and the different turntables. The 940 looks nicer. Personally I'm not a big fan of the disc brake, not that it doesn't work properly, just personal preference, that's all. To upgrade the the 940 base clamps to lever clamps, would cost about $280, so you are better off getting the Combo 910 or 810 for a little more.

If you are on a budget, like I was when I first started. Look for a used machine. Then slowly upgrade as you get the string jobs going. Currently I'm using a Gamma 5003 with Wise 2086. My next machine will probably be a Plus 6500 or a Prince Neos 1500. Depends on how much I saved before I decide to buy one.

Buckethead
01-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Did I say that?

I meant if you plan on stringing a lot of rackets for other people, besides yourself. You are better off getting the Combo 910 over the Flex 940. Only because of the base clamps. The Eagnas Cone-Lock (screw type), really wear down the hands, if you do more than a couple of rackets a day. I've used both the 920 and 940, They are basically the same machine, with the exception of the disc brake on the 940 and the different turntables. The 940 looks nicer. Personally I'm not a big fan of the disc brake, not that it doesn't work properly, just personal preference, that's all. To upgrade the the 940 base clamps to lever clamps, would cost about $280, so you are better off getting the Combo 910 or 810 for a little more.

If you are on a budget, like I was when I first started. Look for a used machine. Then slowly upgrade as you get the string jobs going. Currently I'm using a Gamma 5003 with Wise 2086. My next machine will probably be a Plus 6500 or a Prince Neos 1500. Depends on how much I saved before I decide to buy one.

I know what you meant now,sorry about the misunderstanding.
An used machine would be a good option if it was well taken care,and if i could find.So flex 920 doesn't even make part of this conversation,right??
That's what i thought too,upgrading little by little,so starting with a cheap or used one,and working my way up til i find a nice one.

Dirty Bob
01-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I've used my friend's Flex 940. It is an ok machine but the base does not look as solid as some of the other bases I have seen on other machines, such as my coach's Alpha Axis Pro. I guess if you are looking for an economical stand up crank this machine is great.

GPB
01-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Eagnas has SOOO many options to choose from... I go on their site and I'm just swamped with their info!

If I'm looking for fixed clamps, and want to be able to choose from a dropweight or a crank, and I don't care if it's on a stand or a tabletop... What are the 2-4 machines I should be looking at?

Lakers4Life
01-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I know what you meant now,sorry about the misunderstanding.
An used machine would be a good option if it was well taken care,and if i could find.So flex 920 doesn't even make part of this conversation,right??
That's what i thought too,upgrading little by little,so starting with a cheap or used one,and working my way up til i find a nice one.

You could get the Flex 920, but you only save a about $40, I think. Still a solid machine for the price. Again it all depends on how many rackets you plan to string a day. The cone lock base clamps really wear down the hands. lever clamps are a better option.

Eagnas has SOOO many options to choose from... I go on their site and I'm just swamped with their info!

If I'm looking for fixed clamps, and want to be able to choose from a dropweight or a crank, and I don't care if it's on a stand or a tabletop... What are the 2-4 machines I should be looking at?

Look at the higher, Flex, Combo and lower Plus series. Read this thread, there a lot of info already stated. Stay away from the low end Electronic machines from Eagnas.

GPB
01-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Look at the higher, Flex, Combo and lower Plus series. Read this thread, there a lot of info already stated. Stay away from the low end Electronic machines from Eagnas.

K thanks for the starting point.

southend
01-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Flex 940 -- excellent machine for the money (5 years)

Buckethead
01-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Flex 940 -- excellent machine for the money (5 years)
My eyes are growing on that machine,it'll be the Flex 940 or Combo 910>i am still deciding,but the time to open my wallet is coming soon!

Buckethead
01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

thanks again

I ordered both scales.the one i ordered to weigh rackets,already came damaged,so they sent me another that is working well.The second one i haven't gotten it yet,but it's on its way from Taiwan,LOL.

dantesinferno18
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
How is the mounting system on the flex 940?

Lakers4Life
01-31-2010, 02:25 AM
How is the mounting system on the flex 940?

It's solid. Though if you don't align the side mounts between the grommet holes, it can be a chore. The mounts on my Gamma 5000 are wider, and have the same problem. The mounts on the 940 taper a bit so it help a bit if it's close to a grommet hole. Also the pins can be replaced with Allen head screws if you wish.

jefferson
01-31-2010, 04:50 AM
I have recently had a good experience with Eagnas customer service. I thought that we are all so quick to bash them that I would tell you my experience.

My clamp bases on my flex 940 would not hold. I emailed eagnas about warrantee and was told that I needed my invoice. I used to have it but now I can not find it. They told me that if I knew the purchase date that they could look it up for me. So I found the box that it came in, on there was shipping date. Gave it to them and they searched their database from april 2007 and found my invoice number! Now all I do is write down the number and send in the parts for repair or replacement.

vwfye
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Flex 920... fantastic. see comments here:

http://72.29.176.21/showthread.php?t=181035

Buckethead
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Does the Flex 940 come with PN 1012 or PN 1002?
When you click on the picture the next page shows it comes with 1012, but when you see the picture on the first page that actually says it comes with the 1002,it shows the picture of 1002.
i'm:-?:-? confused.
Can anybody clear this up for me,
by the way the combo 910 is for $499 now.

babotennis10
02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Does the Flex 940 come with PN 1012 or PN 1002?
When you click on the picture the next page shows it comes with 1012, but when you see the picture on the first page that actually says it comes with the 1002,it shows the picture of 1002.
i'm:-?:-? confused.
Can anybody clear this up for me,
by the way the combo 910 is for $499 now.

The combo is very nice. I just received mine today and strung 2 racquets...very nice clamps, definitely choose this over the Flex 940z And everything came on one piece. And my Combo 910 came with the 3-tooth clamps not the 5-tooth...this is the standard for their professional models now, Michele emailed me and told me that all orders come with the 3-tooth clamps.

Zhou
02-15-2010, 01:41 PM
The combo is very nice. I just received mine today and strung 2 racquets...very nice clamps, definitely choose this over the Flex 940z And everything came on one piece. And my Combo 910 came with the 3-tooth clamps not the 5-tooth...this is the standard for their professional models now, Michele emailed me and told me that all orders come with the 3-tooth clamps.

Just want to emphasize that whether you have 3-tooth or 5-tooth clamps, it makes no difference as there is no standard.

Both have their advantages as well as disadvantages.

babotennis10
02-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Just want to emphasize that whether you have 3-tooth or 5-tooth clamps, it makes no difference as there is no standard.

Both have their advantages as well as disadvantages.

No I'm saying that most of the machines come with the 3-tooth clamps. That's Eagnas' standard clamps now...

Buckethead
02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Does the Flex 940 come with 1012 then,instead of 1002 ?
What is the next update after the 1012 if there is any?
What are the advantages of 1012 and 1002?
Lakers i need your advice on this one as well as other members.
Thanks to all!

babotennis10
02-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Does the Flex 940 come with 1012 then,instead of 1002 ?
What is the next update after the 1012 if there is any?
What are the advantages of 1012 and 1002?
Lakers i need your advice on this one as well as other members.
Thanks to all!

It comes with the 1012...go here:
http://eagnas.com/flex940.html

Lakers4Life
02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Sorry to reply so late, I've been on working vacation for the past 4 weeks and almost forgot about TT-TW.

All the Eagnas Machines being shipped with 3 toothed clamps (PN-1012). I prefer them over the 5 tooth. The 3 tooth clamps are more specific for Tennis and Racquetball racquets. They do make a smaller version for Badminton and Squash racquets. 5 Tooth clamps are a more general clamp for all type of patterns, but more specifically for tighter patterns.

I use the PN-1012 clamps on my Gamma machine. I sometimes use the Gamma 5 tooth clamps, when I'm stringing old wooden racquets.

After I traded my 940, I bought a set of PN-1012 clamps just to use on my Gamma 5003.

babotennis10
02-16-2010, 08:27 AM
The 3-tooth clamps are very nice on my Combo 910...it makes stringing my Aerostorms a breeze.

Buckethead
02-16-2010, 08:44 AM
So what's the main difference between combo 910 and Flex 940??They are pretty similar aren't they?

Buckethead
02-16-2010, 08:48 AM
I have strung rackets using another eagnas machine that i can't remember which one it was,but there was a problem on rotating the racket.I had to lift the racket a little so it could rotate 360 degrees.Are these 2 machines free of this problem?

babotennis10
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
So what's the main difference between combo 910 and Flex 940??They are pretty similar aren't they?

The turntables are a little different as well as the clamp BASES. The turntable on the Combo 910 is much sturdier than the 940. And the clamps on the Combo 910 are spring assisted unlike the 940 with conelock. The Combo 910 is a much better machine. And it is worth the extra money.

babotennis10
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
And yes they are 360 degree turnable.

Lakers4Life
02-17-2010, 07:13 AM

The base clamps. The Combo 910 has lever clamps, the Flex 940 has Cone-Lock (screw) clamps.

A friend of mine bought a 940 two years ago. It did not have the re-positionable bolts like on the older models. That's why I recomend the 910 over the 940.

babotennis10
02-17-2010, 04:57 PM
The base clamps. The Combo 910 has lever clamps, the Flex 940 has Cone-Lock (screw) clamps.

A friend of mine bought a 940 two years ago. It did not have the re-positionable bolts like on the older models. That's why I recomend the 910 over the 940.

Yeah the 910 is very solid. Clamps are so easy to use. And the turntable is very sturdy. I love this machine :)

Buckethead
02-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Yeah the 910 is very solid. Clamps are so easy to use. And the turntable is very sturdy. I love this machine :)

Is the price including shipping?

babotennis10
02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Is the price including shipping?

It's $499 plus $50 shipping.

mad dog1
02-24-2010, 12:25 AM
i picked up a flex 865s w/ the upgraded spring assisted swivel clamp bases which has the same turntable as the combo 910 minus the brake and has the electronic rotational string tensioner instead of the crank. i just strung my first racquet and it worked great. i believe the electronic tensioner is a constant pull. because once the tensioner pulled to a set tension, say 60 lbs, if i wait 15-20 secs & the string starts to stretch & the tension drops below 56 lbs, the tensioner would re-pull again. i tried it time & time again. each time, the tensioner would rotate some more drawing the string tighter.

downs_chris
02-24-2010, 04:35 AM
i picked up a flex 865s w/ the upgraded spring assisted swivel clamp bases which has the same turntable as the combo 910 minus the brake and has the electronic rotational string tensioner instead of the crank. i just strung my first racquet and it worked great. i believe the electronic tensioner is a constant pull. because once the tensioner pulled to a set tension, say 60 lbs, if i wait 15-20 secs & the string starts to stretch & the tension drops below 56 lbs, the tensioner would re-pull again. i tried it time & time again. each time, the tensioner would rotate some more drawing the string tighter.

i'm thinking about upgrading my old eagnas hawk 800 (i think it'd paid for itself by now...haha) -- i'm kind of interested in the flex 865 with the upgraded swivel base clamps...any issues with yours so far? seems decently priced...

ethebull
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
I recently bought a Challenger 1 and I posted a review on it.

[URL="http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=314518[/URL]

The review speaks for itself. Their machines are not perfect, but you get a lot for your investment. Just be prepared to do a little fussing to get it the unit running at a high level of performance, which is ultimately very possible.

Of course I can only vouch for my Challenger 1. YRMV

mad dog1
02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
i'm thinking about upgrading my old eagnas hawk 800 (i think it'd paid for itself by now...haha) -- i'm kind of interested in the flex 865 with the upgraded swivel base clamps...any issues with yours so far? seems decently priced...

i picked mine up 2nd hand. the invoice shows that it was purchased in Dec'09. the guy was a badminton player & had only used the stringer to string up a handful of badminton rackets. i calibrated the tension head. the only thing that might be considered and "issue" is that the specs claim the tension head can pull between 10 lbs to 80 lbs or something like that, but i was only able to get it to 20 lbs. not really an issue for me since i'll mainly be stringing tennis racquets and when i do string my badminton rackets, i wouldn't be stringing lower than 20 lbs anyway. other than that, it works great. i had read that the rotating tension head wasn't constant pull and i was totally fine w/ that since i got it at a really good price, but when i was calibrating the tension head, i noticed that after the initial pull to 55 lbs, a few seconds later, the head would rotate more to pull up slack as the string stretched so i read the owner's manual and it mentions that if the tension drops 2-4lbs lower than the initial pull, the head will re-pull to the desired tension. i've never used the cone lock version, but the upgraded swivel base clamps are really easy to use. so far i'm very happy w/ my flex 865s. i figure if & when the electronic tension head fails, i'll figure out how to mount a Wise or call up Eagnas & try to convert it to a Combo 910 since the turntable and stand are identical. i think the only things i'd need would be the brake, spring tension head, and tension bar.

ethebull
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Sorry, here's the link

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=314518

Buckethead
02-25-2010, 09:39 AM
What is the difference between Combo 900 LE and Combo 910??
Lakers ,you are the expert in these machines,and now that i have the money i am going for it.
One of the reasons why i am still considering a Flex 940 is because it's not that expensive around $470 shipped,and if i don't like for whatever reason i can still sell it.
Also i am still be thinking in an electronic machine upgrade for later,so i don't know how long i will stay with the machine,i hope i can deal with for sometime.
Thanks again guys.

I saw on their website about the screw break system.
Is it the only difference?

Lakers4Life
02-26-2010, 08:09 AM
If memory serves me the Combo 900Le had wierd self centering mounts, that don't look that sturdy. It was probably designed for badminton rackets.

You've been waiting so long to buy a stringer, you should of already found a used one locally. Though depending on the area does help a bit. I live in So. Cal. but it took me about 6 months before I found a Flex 940 for sale in the local Craigslist. I almost bought a new one since Maxline is close by. Ended paying $275 for my slightly used 940.

Just last year, my friend picked up a used Gamma 5003, which I own now, for $400. I kinda pointed it too him, but he does not string much and owed me some money, so we traded machines.

Buckethead
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
If memory serves me the Combo 900Le had wierd self centering mounts, that don't look that sturdy. It was probably designed for badminton rackets.

You've been waiting so long to buy a stringer, you should of already found a used one locally. Though depending on the area does help a bit. I live in So. Cal. but it took me about 6 months before I found a Flex 940 for sale in the local Craigslist. I almost bought a new one since Maxline is close by. Ended paying $275 for my slightly used 940.

Just last year, my friend picked up a used Gamma 5003, which I own now, for $400. I kinda pointed it too him, but he does not string much and owed me some money, so we traded machines.
thanks for all your answers and as well some other members.I bought a Combo 910.
I first called Maxiline just to talk to the guy and ask a few questions about a couple machines,but i couldn't understand him much,and the only thing i understood was that he would ship on Monday and would get to me on Friday.That's what happened.
The package was well done,no holes when i got it,there were a few scratches on some parts,the tray was dusty with the rubber coming off(not a big deal i already affixed it).Anyway,i am glad that i didn't have any problems with their CS,not at least for now.

Now i have some other questions for you Lakers:
I tried to calibrate it,or to measure the tension,following their procedures and it was a way off.So there is a little screw that you can use with the 4mm allen wrench for calibrating it ,that i screwed almost all the way off and played around with it.I used the cyberflash since it holds tension well to do the procedure.But i don't know if the tension got to what it was supposed to be after several times because either the string was already pre-stretched or because of my adjustments.
I only need to add some greasy to the turn table to get it rotating smoothly.
So what is the right procedure to calibrate it?
Would any kind of grease work well?
I liked the machine,not i'd only leave this one for some really advanced ones such as Babolat,Tecnifibre,Baiardo,Yonex...and that would take a long time to happen.
thanks

itsmen
03-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I have had the Flex 722 for 3 yrs and have no complaint. I had a few dozens string and it does its job well.

Buckethead
03-07-2010, 05:22 AM
I found an issue with the handle of the racket touching the string gripper.Is there any solution or adjustment i can do to take care of this issue?

babotennis10
03-07-2010, 05:41 AM
I found an issue with the handle of the racket touching the string gripper.Is there any solution or adjustment i can do to take care of this issue?

Hmmm, I don't have this issue at all...you should post pics of your new machine!

bwaid88
03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
i have a flex 940 with a wise 2086 tension head. 2 years and going strong!

Lakers4Life
03-10-2010, 12:20 PM

There is a washer you can get, my previous Flex 940 had one. It raises the turntable about 1/8th of inch.

li9ht3s0ut
03-11-2010, 12:26 AM
hawk 15. woot. old school, simple machine! strings fine for me.

downs_chris
03-11-2010, 05:55 AM

yeah -- mine has this issue...kind of annoying, eh?

Lakers4Life
03-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Now i have some other questions for you Lakers:
I tried to calibrate it,or to measure the tension,following their procedures and it was a way off.So there is a little screw that you can use with the 4mm allen wrench for calibrating it ,that i screwed almost all the way off and played around with it.I used the cyberflash since it holds tension well to do the procedure.But i don't know if the tension got to what it was supposed to be after several times because either the string was already pre-stretched or because of my adjustments.
I only need to add some greasy to the turn table to get it rotating smoothly.
So what is the right procedure to calibrate it?
Would any kind of grease work well?
I liked the machine,not i'd only leave this one for some really advanced ones such as Babolat,Tecnifibre,Baiardo,Yonex...and that would take a long time to happen.
thanks

If you pull the turntable out of the mount there is usually excess grease at the end of the shaft you can use. Wheel bearing grease will work.

As for calibrating the machine, the Owners Manual has complete instructions on how to properly calibrate the tensionhead. There are two screws, one lock screw (2.5mm) and the adjustment screw (4mm) when you turn the adjustment screw move it 5 degrees or less, then check the tension a few times. The tension will vary depending on the speed of the crank. Also the make sure the tension adjuster is on "0" (Zero) and on 60 Lbs. mark. Though it should have been calibrated at the factory, if you mess with the adjustments you can screw it up.

Oscarg
03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
I am deciding between the Flex 740 and the Challenger I. I am looking for the most portable. It appears the Flex 740 is the lighter of the two. Does anyone know the approximate weight of each?

mad dog1
03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I am deciding between the Flex 740 and the Challenger I. I am looking for the most portable. It appears the Flex 740 is the lighter of the two. Does anyone know the approximate weight of each?

i don't know if you really want a light stringing machine. a light machine will most likely have a flexy turntable & won't be very rigid when pulling tension.

Oscarg
03-13-2010, 11:40 PM
i don't know if you really want a light stringing machine. a light machine will most likely have a flexy turntable & won't be very rigid when pulling tension.

Have experience excessive flexibility on any of these two?

ethebull
03-14-2010, 07:07 AM
The Flex has a lighter duty swivel turntable with no mention of a ball bearing mount, cheaper cone lock swivel clamp bases, a lighter duty base, and a lighter duty spring clutch. These are cost saving differences. Weight is an ally in a stringer.

TearSNFX
03-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Eagnas Combo 3800 and Babolat Star3 are the 2 machines I use.

I calibrate every 10 ~ 20 string jobs so tension isn't a problem. I was actually surprised at how accurate the eagnas machine is.

After stringing about 40 racquets the tension changed by 1. Their customer service is horrible though. The person that represents their company needs a better understanding of the English language.

Considering I only paid 700 bucks for the machine and already produced couple hundred jobs from it, I made my money back.

Lakers4Life
03-15-2010, 12:40 AM
After stringing about 40 racquets the tension changed by 1. Their customer service is horrible though. The person that represents their company needs a better understanding of the English language.

Funny you say that, A friend of mine was trying to get a mounting tower replaced. He's Chinese and still had a communication problem.

I've order stuff from thier website and had no problems.

nirianto
04-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Thinking of getting the Eagnas Combo 910. Is this one of the reliable and problem-free models? Pros and cons about the combo 910?

struggle
04-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Thinking of getting the Eagnas Combo 910. Is this one of the reliable and problem-free models? Pros and cons about the combo 910?

all reports/reviews have indicated it is a good, reliable machine.
i have one arriving today. i'll try to let you know my impression by sometime next week.
while talking with Victor on the phone (yes, he's hard to understand), he thought it was the best model (one of them, anyhow) they had for the money.

nirianto
04-22-2010, 06:38 AM
all reports/reviews have indicated it is a good, reliable machine.
i have one arriving today. i'll try to let you know my impression by sometime next week.
while talking with Victor on the phone (yes, he's hard to understand), he thought it was the best model (one of them, anyhow) they had for the money.

I agree. After comparing the combo 910 with other models (titan 7700, SP Crump, Gamma X-ST, Gamma ST II), I felt that for $499, this is the best bang of the buck and this model comes with the spring-assisted clamp which can be useful.

I am a little worried of their reputation. I read in other thread/forums that some people are getting used machine or even a different machine than what they ordered. Also, someone on this forum just bought the combo 910 too and it came with a different paint colour (darker blue instead of light blue). So, please do let me know how your combo 910 is.

struggle
04-22-2010, 06:48 AM
I agree. After comparing the combo 910 with other models (titan 7700, SP Crump, Gamma X-ST, Gamma ST II), I felt that for $499, this is the best bang of the buck and this model comes with the spring-assisted clamp which can be useful.

I am a little worried of their reputation. I read in other thread/forums that some people are getting used machine or even a different machine than what they ordered. Also, someone on this forum just bought the combo 910 too and it came with a different paint colour (darker blue instead of light blue). So, please do let me know how your combo 910 is.

yes, i am hoping for the darker paint and Victor indicated that would be the case. we'll see.

i also sent him a message telling him how nice it was to deal with him despite what i had heard from the naysayers. he seemed to appreciate that and perhaps he'll throw in a little something extra, but i don't expect it.

you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

pingu
04-22-2010, 06:57 AM

i also sent him a message telling him how nice it was to deal with him despite what i had heard from the naysayers. he seemed to appreciate that and perhaps he'll throw in a little something extra, but i don't expect it.

you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar....

That's a good approach and it works most of the time. Hope you get what you're paying for :)

nirianto
04-22-2010, 07:08 AM
tbuggle, did you order anything else from eagnas? i was thinking of getting the starting clamp but i heard its junk.

struggle
04-22-2010, 07:12 AM
tbuggle, did you order anything else from eagnas? i was thinking of getting the starting clamp but i heard its junk.

yes, i ordered the starting clamp and calibrator. they are only 15 bucks apiece with machine order, if they are junk, so be it.
worth a try, IMO.

nirianto
04-22-2010, 07:19 AM
haha, I was gonna get the same thing. Anyway, post some pics once you receive them or just let me know how it is. Thanks!

David123
04-22-2010, 09:10 AM
yeah tubbgle good luck with your machine. Whats the difference with the light blue/dark blue ones arent they the same?

pingu
04-22-2010, 10:07 AM
... they are only 15 bucks apiece with machine order, if they are junk, so be it.
worth a try, IMO.

It's actually on sale now for that price, can't beat a starting clamp for $15.95

David123
04-22-2010, 10:08 AM
yeah that is a good price i would buy it if i were to purchase a combo 910.

kato669
04-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I've been using the Eagnas starting clump for about 6 months now. Works great. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

I have the spring calibrator too, also works well. Use it as a backup check to my digital scale (which I got afterwards). Good luck with your machine.

yes, i ordered the starting clamp and calibrator. they are only 15 bucks apiece with machine order, if they are junk, so be it.
worth a try, IMO.

David123
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
hmm thanks fro the updatge. :)

Rock Strongo
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm interested in buying the Flex 100. Is it a good machine? I saw one guy who reviewed it but i want a bit of follow up on it. Is it comparable to the Alpha String Pal(which i believe is discontinued)?

And David123, you went from 960 to 1027 posts in a couple of hours! Rest your fingers a bit now!

struggle
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
And David123, you went from 960 to 1027 posts in a couple of hours! Rest your fingers a bit now!

LOL.

if i were to buy a DW machine from eagnas it would be the challenger 1.
good features, especially got the price.

David123
04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
yeah i was considering the challenger 1. Only 319$ for fixed clamps which is already a great price comapred to gamma.

Lakers4Life
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Since his join date 1-27-2010:
Total Posts: 1,028 (12.13 posts per day)

mad dog1
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
worth a try, IMO.

i have the starting clamp & calibrator. the starting clamp works fine. the scale in the spring calibrator is in 5 lb increments so it was tough to tell if my stringer was off a few lbs. i stopped using it decided to get the jennings ultrasport 50 scale which works great.

struggle
04-22-2010, 10:50 AM
i have the starting clamp & calibrator. the starting clamp works fine. the scale in the spring calibrator is in 5 lb increments so it was tough to tell if my stringer was off a few lbs. i stopped using it decided to get the jennings ultrasport 50 scale which works great.

thanks for the info, so to calibrate with the spring scale you'd to do so at an even 5 lb increment.

where'd you get the jennings? i would like to get an electronic fish scale or something asap so i can feel good about calibration as i've heard the eagnas spring scale MIGHT not be too accurate.

I'm thinking Dicks SG should have something on the cheap end that works fine.

pingu
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
....i would like to get an electronic fish scale or something asap so i can feel good about calibration as i've heard the eagnas spring scale MIGHT not be too accurate.

I'm thinking Dicks SG should have something on the cheap end that works fine.

Awhile ago, someone on this board mentioned that he used the fish scale from Walmart for $18. Give it a try if you need it asap. If it's not working for you, return it :)

Rock Strongo
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
LOL.

if i were to buy a DW machine from eagnas it would be the challenger 1.
good features, especially got the price.

Then it's got to be the Pro's Pro version, since weirdly, it's vastly cheaper and has those Babolar Star 5-type clamps. It's sold from Germany too, and i know they always make and sell good stuff.

David123
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Awhile ago, someone on this board mentioned that he used the fish scale from Walmart for $18. Give it a try if you need it asap. If it's not working for you, return it :)

Hmm maybe ill give this a try too then.

kato669
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Look at this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=320927&highlight=digital+scale

As Lakers4Life suggested, look on fleabey under the seller id "eforcity". They have a scale that Maxline sells for $40 for about $9 with shipping. I have this same exact scale and it works great.

David123
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
can't find a seller called eforcity on fleabay and whatever i search i cant get a cheap one :S?

mad dog1
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
thanks for the info, so to calibrate with the spring scale you'd to do so at an even 5 lb increment.

where'd you get the jennings? i would like to get an electronic fish scale or something asap so i can feel good about calibration as i've heard the eagnas spring scale MIGHT not be too accurate.

i plan to start stringing for friends, etc so i didn't want them to tell me the string job was +/-5 lbs off. i got the jennings off amazon. it's great. i heard the same thing about all the cheap spring scales which is why i decided to go w/ the jennings.

David123
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
is it this?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R6GA3M?tag=aommakemoney-20

Anything a bit cheaper? (although that's a great value for a calibnrator thats electronic.)

mad dog1
04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
is it this?:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R6GA3M?tag=aommakemoney-20

Anything a bit cheaper? (although that's a great value for a calibnrator thats electronic.)

no, that's not it. you wouldn't be able to measure & pull tension w/ that.

this is it...
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jscale/ultrasport.jpg