PDA

View Full Version : Yonex stringing - Different tensions M vs C

netman
12-18-2006, 08:22 AM
I normally string my crosses 2 lbs higher than the mains because it gives me a more consistent feel across the string bed. However, I am trying out the Yonex NSRQ-7 right now and have read here that Yonex recommends lowering the cross tension by 3% due to the head shape.

Is this really needed? Will using my standard 2 lb higher cross screw up the playing characteristics of the NSRQ-7? Will be stringing it with Gosen SM 17.

Thanks
-k-

Valjean
12-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I recommend stringing the crosses two lbs. higher when using an oversize; on a mid, it depends. Then the number of crosses becomes a factor.

Actually, Yonex recommends a 5% drop for the crosses for its racquets. Personally, possibly depending here on your head size (the NSRQ7 comes in two) too, I'd begin by adding back two lbs. after working out what 5% comes to. Another factor to consider is the tension; Yonex tension ranges vary for the weight of the frame/grip size and Yonex advises you consult the racquet's throat for yours, too. Amid all this, you might as well resign yourself to hearing soon of the dreaded "change just one thing at a time" axiom--which, if you choose to adopt it, would make any discussion of your question moot, too, since you have already changed your racquet; just live a little, it's all about performance so what can be the harm in the experiment?

snoflewis
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I normally string my crosses 2 lbs higher than the mains because it gives me a more consistent feel across the string bed. However, I am trying out the Yonex NSRQ-7 right now and have read here that Yonex recommends lowering the cross tension by 3% due to the head shape.

Is this really needed? Will using my standard 2 lb higher cross screw up the playing characteristics of the NSRQ-7? Will be stringing it with Gosen SM 17.

Thanks
-k-

i also wondered about this a while back and contacted yonex regarding that 5% tension decrease. they said that they recommend it, but it's no longer necessary. 5% will most likely come out to 3 lbs...and when stringing my rds001 mids, i found 3lbs to be too much of a difference between the mains and crosses and always strung with a difference of 2 (58/56). on my mp tour-1 midpluses, i found a similar feel in just a uniform tension...i think you should just try your nsrq-7 at the tension you always used and then adjust from there.

netman
12-18-2006, 09:58 AM
OK. Mine is a midplus. I guess I'll start with the recommendations you two have given me and see how it works. I'm guessing I go 2 lb lower on the crosses to start.

Thanks again.
-k-

Keifers
12-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I have an NSRQ-7 Tour, which is the standard length, 100", heavier (305 grams unstrung) version of the NSRQ-7 sold here in the U.S. The head shape of this racquet is fairly "round" compared to other more elongated Yonnies, so I dropped the crosses by 2 lbs only -- 55/53, TNT2 17 ga. Plays really well.

netman
12-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I have an NSRQ-7 Tour, which is the standard length, 100", heavier (305 grams unstrung) version of the NSRQ-7 sold here in the U.S. The head shape of this racquet is fairly "round" compared to other more elongated Yonnies, so I dropped the crosses by 2 lbs only -- 55/53, TNT2 17 ga. Plays really well.

Interesting. Mine is cut down to 27.25. With 4 grams of lead on the head and 1/2 sz heat shrink it now weighs 320 grams and is 9 pts HL strung. So is sounds like the Tour must be close to 320 grams strung as well. Is this correct? What's the balance on the Tour model?

You don't find the low tension to springy?

Thanks
-k-

counterpuncher
12-18-2006, 12:59 PM
What's the balance on the Tour model?
-k-
I have one of these also, nice stick but can't generate any power on the serve, I might give it another go at some point.

Off the frame the specs are :

Balance Point : 315 mm
Unstrung Weight : 305g
Beam : 22mm/21.4mm

FYI - I have SPPP in this frame and in my RDS001 (crosses 2 lbs less than mains - first time I have tried it 55/53 in the NSRQ-7 and 54/52 in the RDS001) and although it is not my favourite string and the color is garish, it seems to play very well in both of these frames.

Keifers
12-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Interesting. Mine is cut down to 27.25. With 4 grams of lead on the head and 1/2 sz heat shrink it now weighs 320 grams and is 9 pts HL strung. So is sounds like the Tour must be close to 320 grams strung as well. Is this correct? What's the balance on the Tour model?

You don't find the low tension to springy?

Thanks
-k-
The largest available grip size of this racquet is 4 3/8, so I had my local shop add a full size heat shrink sleeve. I then added an overgrip and a rubberband dampener, bringing the total strung weight and balance to 347 grams and 10.5 pts HL.

Interestingly, the recommended tension range on the frame is 45-60 lbs, compared with 55-65 lbs on the regular RQ-7s (TW spec). So I went with 55/53, which has worked out quite well (not springy).

I haven't noticed the lack of power on serves that counterpuncher reported. I wonder if the balance of my Tour allows me to generate more head speed. (It doesn't feel like 10.5 pts HL, though, more like 8 or so.) Or, maybe it's the strings -- is SPPP a poly?

Outstanding volleying racquet. And absolutely THE BEST half-volleyer I've ever used (I've no idea why...).

counterpuncher
12-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I haven't noticed the lack of power on serves that counterpuncher reported. I wonder if the balance of my Tour allows me to generate more head speed. (It doesn't feel like 10.5 pts HL, though, more like 8 or so.) Or, maybe it's the strings -- is SPPP a poly?

SPPP - Signum Pro Poly Plasma, yes a poly, but one of the more powerful ones IMO.

I have had a hitting partner hit serves with it as well and he didn't have much more success than I did with his flat serves, spin serves were great though.

I will try tail-weighting it with some lead and trying it again, as I don't seem to have as much of an issue with my RDS001 with the same string. However the RDS001 is far more headlight than the RQ 7 tour, and as you have stated that may be the key.

Keifers
12-18-2006, 09:28 PM
I will try tail-weighting it with some lead and trying it again, as I don't seem to have as much of an issue with my RDS001 with the same string. However the RDS001 is far more headlight than the RQ 7 tour, and as you have stated that may be the key.
I hope the tail-weighting works well for you. Would be interested in your results.

Good luck.