PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour 10 Gen II?

trewq
08-18-2004, 04:32 AM
Hi, this is my first post here.

I recently bought a Volkl Tour 10 MP from TW, and I'm completely satisfied with it. But after visiting the Volkl homepage, I realized that they have released a Generation II model for the 2004/2005 season, although I haven't seen it in any shops yet. So, have I bought a (soon to be) discontinued model or what?

Does anyone know the difference, if any except the cosmetics, between the current Tour 10 and the Gen II?

And what about the different paintings on the Tour 10 MP? Sometimes it says Quantum and other times Tour on the black part of the frame. Is it the same racquet with different paint jobs, and thus merely a design update?

serge
08-18-2004, 07:03 AM
I have got one with a Quantum label and one with a Tour label. The new one is with the Tour label. Normally these are the same racquets. But mine quantum version seems to be a bit heavier ...
Maybe I am wrong ...

louisc
08-18-2004, 07:10 AM
I think the Gen II is completely new cosmetics, as opposed to the switch from Quantum to Tour on the current (Gen I?) frame. There's a picture at www.volkl.com of the new Gen II model. The specs look the same as Gen I, so may be they are just trying to align the cosmetics with the new V-Engine line - they look similar.

Rabbit
08-18-2004, 08:29 AM
The Gen II pays homage to the C10, both in cosmetics and allegedly feel. The Gen II is, IMO, a direct result to some input that was opposed to the V-Engine technology.
The Gen II has not been picked up, to my knowledge, by the U.S. distributor.

NoBadMojo
08-18-2004, 08:33 AM
i think they have changed the layup of this frame to include fiberglass and they are losing the Ti i think but am not positive..doesnt the volkl international site say? ed

SliceServe
08-18-2004, 08:35 AM
From the Voelkl site (yeah the one with the "e" is different) for those who couldn't find it:

"Unfortunately, racquet models come and go all too quickly. However, a few unique racquet models achieve “Legendary-Status” among tennis players – very few companies can claim this status.
Völkl is proud to embrace the many accolades given over the past, (many) years to the legendary C10 Pro – realizing all the while that an improvement was not only possible, but also needed for today’s game. With this in mind, as well as respecting those players who believed that the C10 Pro was their personal “Holy-Grail”, Völkl is proud to introduce the next “Legend” to the tennis world – Tour 10 MP, (Gen II).

The biggest difference between the (new) Tour 10 MP, (Generation II) and the (new) Tour 10 MP V-Engine can be found in the throat area. The Tour 10 MP, (Gen II) remains traditional looking in this region. By doing so, the “soft” / “flexible” / “feel” remains for those players longing for that special feel of yesterday’s racquets but having today’s technology enhancements for greater performance. Let there be no confusion! The Tour 10 MP, (Gen II) is a serious racquet designed only for the serious player who demands the ultimate in today’s technology combined with the traditional feel of yesterday."

Head Size: 630 cm2 / 98 inch2
- String pattern: 16 x 19 PCP
- Weight: 325 g / 11.5 oz
- Cross section: 20 mm
- Carbon, Fiberglass, Power RAP
- Precise Frame
- Length: 68.5 cm / 27 inches
- Pro Gear Grip
- Sensor Tour Handle System

Not sure if the Euro Volkl site gives the weight spec as strung or unstrung. If it is strung, then the GEN II is much lighter than the 1st GEN T10MP.

mach1
08-18-2004, 09:48 AM
I want a Tour 10 MP GEN II!

jayserinos99
08-18-2004, 11:35 AM
i have an aunt in germany. i'm gonna try to pick these racquets up from her when she visits later this year. i'll give the breakdown on this racquet as soon as i get it.

NoBadMojo
08-18-2004, 11:47 AM
ok good jay......then you can trade me the GenII's for the t10's i got from you on trade???;) how are you enjoying the pro1? ed

jayserinos99
08-18-2004, 01:26 PM
ahhahahah!!! if i like the gen2 better than the original t10s, i may put those up for sale.

the pro1 i got from you is gonna need a string change. i got a couple more pro1s from a friend which are strung with tnt which hit pretty well. i got the kick serve working on the pro1 right now but since i'm sick i won't be able to hit for a bit.

Rabbit
08-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Wait....I sold some Tour 10's to a Jay....are those mine that are now in the hands of the one and only Mojo????

NoBadMojo
08-20-2004, 09:06 AM
i think so rabbit......i seem to be playing more and more like you.....is this good? lol
jay, you might want to mount the pro1 in the stringer, cut out the crosses and put something else in there. shame to cut out the klip legend in the mains IMO. and i agree, the kBoom x's dont play so well. a cheap syn gut job seems to play better than that hybrid in the Pro1. ed
ed

jayserinos99
08-20-2004, 10:14 AM
rabbit, i still have your tour 10s actually. the ones i sold to ed were the demos i bought from a local tennis shop that were in good condition.

i still haven't cut out the kboom yet ed, but will do so this weekend if i have time to. i'll use a set of prince syn gut to do the crosses.

Rabbit
08-21-2004, 02:40 PM
i think so rabbit......i seem to be playing more and more like you.....is this good? lol
ed

Not as of my last outing, Ed. I won the warmup, but that was about all. It felt like I had never held a racket. :roll:

NoBadMojo
08-21-2004, 02:57 PM
You'll get your Mojo back in no time Rabitt.....maybe you want those t10's back from Jay..;l) Ed

jayserinos99
08-23-2004, 02:10 PM
don't do it rabbit, those are my last tour 10s!!! hhahahaa!!!

Rabbit
08-24-2004, 06:05 AM
Naw, can't blame the frame. It was all me.